What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

controversial movie takes you have (1 Viewer)

Almost every movie made before 1980 is garbage, even the classics have terrible acting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shirley Airplane! is still funny.  
It is for us but a lot of the jokes don't hold up for the younger crowd.  What's a white courtesy phone?  What is boy's life magazine?  Could kids really go into the cockpit during a flight back then?  And I speak jive somehow looks even more racist now than it actually was back then.  There's still plenty of good laughs but it's not the same decades later. 

bostonfred said:
Great comedies shouldn't hold up. If they were great they got copied and if they got copied then the thing that made them funny isn't unexpected anymore.  And that's before all the culture change that happens over time. The rare comedies that hold up over time are things like Mr. Bean which you can't really copy and weren't really THAT funny to begin with. 
I’d disagree with that take. I think there are plenty of great ones that hold up.  “Some Like It Hot” holds up because no one can copy Billy Wilder even if they tried. “It Happened One Night“ has influenced every romantic comedy ever made for over 80 years, and it still stands as the greatest of them all.

The Godfathers suck.

This Boy's Life was a great comedy.

Randy Quaid was one of the finest actors of his generation.

Pulp Fiction is overrated and gets worse every time I see it and it would have been better off not being made since it fueled John Travolta's comeback.

Deadwood is the greatest show ever.

True Romance is one of the greatest movies ever and the coke sale scene with Lee Donowitz was one of the greatest scenes ever.

CletiusMaximus said:
Scarface = Overrated -- poor acting, ridiculous dialogue, dumb writing.
I absolutely love Scarface but still agree on all of this.  It's somehow an incredibly captivating bad movie that's impossible to turn off.  

No one actually likes Citizen Kane. 
I do like Citizen Kane because of the various cultural references, but yes it is wildly overrated.

I'm with you except for Armageddon. 
Armageddon wasn't great theater and it was totally unrealistic in every way but it had a great ensemble cast and it was just fun. Jumping the Grand Canyon on an asteroid with a moon rover with the fate of the human race depending on you? Come on. That's so dumb, but I still smiled when they made it. And permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I've ever met?  So good.

Armageddon wasn't great theater and it was totally unrealistic in every way but it had a great ensemble cast and it was just fun. Jumping the Grand Canyon on an asteroid with a moon rover with the fate of the human race depending on you? Come on. That's so dumb, but I still smiled when they made it. And permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I've ever met?  So good.
To scratch that itch I'll watch The Core. So ridiculous and I love it.

The Godfathers suck.

This Boy's Life was a great comedy.

Randy Quaid was one of the finest actors of his generation.

Pulp Fiction is overrated and gets worse every time I see it and it would have been better off not being made since it fueled John Travolta's comeback.

Deadwood is the greatest show ever.

True Romance is one of the greatest movies ever and the coke sale scene with Lee Donowitz was one of the greatest scenes ever.
Such an underrated movie, and I do find some parts unintentionally funny

If you were completely baked and didn’t know the Arnold was the good guy going into Terminator II when you saw it in the theater...it was the best movie ever made

Both in my top 100 but top 5 is a bit ridiculous.
I can see Ghostbusters making it, it threaded the needle perfectly between comedy and actual ghost/horror drama. You can remake the movie 100 times and I don't think you would capture it again. 

Contact, Signs, Phenomenon, Armageddon and Gravity were all great movies.  The Matrix sequels weren't bad either. 
Agree on Phenomenon, Contact and Gravity.

Armageddon in mainstream trash with low IQ dialogue.  Deep Impact was twice the movie if we're going asteroid genre.

Signs is kinda dumb.

Matrix sequels were okay...I've never wanted to rewatch.  The original Matrix is a top 10 SciFi all time.

I can see Ghostbusters making it, it threaded the needle perfectly between comedy and actual ghost/horror drama. You can remake the movie 100 times and I don't think you would capture it again. 
Don't get me wrong...peak Bill Murray and peak Akroyd is pretty amazing.

Zow said:
Love Actually is actual garbage. 

XXX is a cooler version of a Bond movie. 

Doc Holliday in Tombstone is not a badass. 
The ending with The Beach Boys song playing with the families meeting at the airport makes up for a lot.

The Liam Neeson stuff with his kid is so, so bad though.

Users who are viewing this thread