Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dutch

Should the occupant of the white house censor twitter et al?

Much ballyhoo emanating recently from the safe space on 1600 Penn. Ave. regarding perceived persecution from Twitter and other social media platforms towards the occupant and his adherents which has led the thin skinned child to thrash about the idea of shutting down these private businesses. One discussion taking place is what rights and responsibilities do the social media companies have in the course of their business but I am curious the flip side: what rights does the government and it's office holders have to thwart the will of these private businesses? 

All replies appreciated.

1 hour ago, dutch said:

what rights does the government and it's office holders have to thwart the will of these private businesses? 

I'm pretty sure there's nothing stopping Congress from making a law abridging the freedom of speech.

• Like 2

In all seriousness, do we now understand why it's so important to grant first amendment rights to corporations?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I remember a time that conservatives were against any controls over private businesses. What happened to that?

• Thinking 1

Public Twitter doesn’t have these problems 

17 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I remember a time that conservatives were against any controls over private businesses. What happened to that?

Related

I trust Father Trump with this

• Laughing 2

BREAKING NEWS: TRUMP TO SIGN EXECUTIVE ORDER DEMANDING THAT TWITTER STOP HURTING HIS FEELINGS

• Like 1
  • Laughing 8
  • Sad 1

Is he able to issue an executive order with a private company like twitter?

2 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

BREAKING NEWS: TRUMP TO SIGN EXECUTIVE ORDER DEMANDING THAT TWITTER STOP HURTING HIS FEELINGS

I won't believe it unless he "hereby orders" it.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, CurlyNight said:

Is he able to issue an executive order with a private company like twitter?

No.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Please stop posting fake news as factual. This isn’t true. This simply isn’t true 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 6

He'll sign something toothless, or simply impossible to enforce,  just to give his supporters something to cheer about. Same as day one.

• Like 1

Imagine tweeting at 80 million people that you're a victim of censorship.

Irony: how does it work?

• Like 5
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, HellToupee said:
1 hour ago, [scooter] said:

Please stop posting fake news as factual. This isn’t true. This simply isn’t true 

I was just copying what I saw on CNN. I paused the TV to write down the words to make sure I got it right, but I admit that I may not have gotten every word exactly correct, which is why I was careful not to put it in quotes.

13 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

I was just copying what I saw on CNN. I paused the TV to write down the words to make sure I got it right, but I admit that I may not have gotten every word exactly correct, which is why I was careful not to put it in quotes.

Trump will sign an executive order on social media companies: White House spokeswoman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2333BT

Wondering how to slap down Twitter in such a way that benefits him must be driving Don bonkers.

So POTUS wants to stop people/companies from fact checking him? Sounds like a good cause...

2 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

Wondering how to slap down Twitter in such a way that benefits him must be driving Don bonkers.

Maybe Trump can go Tidal.

1 hour ago, yak651 said:

So POTUS wants to stop people/companies from fact checking him? Sounds like a good cause...

Goebbels would agree.

11 hours ago, HellToupee said:

But many people are saying it...

• Like 1

All of this because he wants to promote a conspiracy that a morning talk show host that is critical of him is a murderer. Now he wants to use the power of the office to punish the company that called him out on his bull####. 

Does any Trump supporter believe Joe Scarborough killed someone?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jobber said:

That this is even being put into legislation is laughable, and yet another reason the GOP is dying. Good luck passing it, too.

As long as they "fact check" 100% of the content, I don't have a problem with them doing it here.  If they don't, then their protection under Section 230 should be removed.  

22 minutes ago, Snotbubbles said:

As long as they "fact check" 100% of the content, I don't have a problem with them doing it here.  If they don't, then their protection under Section 230 should be removed.  

Well except for the fact that if anyone else besides the President was posting his drivel they would have been banned long ago, you’d have a point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

:lmao: at executive order for social media

I'm sure there are plenty of chat rooms Trump could post in if Twitter bans him :lmao:

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

All of this because he wants to promote a conspiracy that a morning talk show host that is critical of him is a murderer. Now he wants to use the power of the office to punish the company that called him out on his bull####. 

Does any Trump supporter believe Joe Scarborough killed someone?

Trump is also saying a dead woman cheated on her husband.  I think any widower would knock Trump’s teeth out.

Edited by Daywalker

3 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Trump is also saying a dead woman cheated on her husband.  I think any widower would knock Trump’s teeth out.

Slow down, the occupant of the oval office is only pondering whether a dead woman cheated on her husband, he never outright claimed she did as that would be unpresidential.

40 minutes ago, belljr said:

:lmao: at executive order for social media

I'm sure there are plenty of chat rooms Trump could post in if Twitter bans him :lmao:

I bet he was a hoot in the AOL chat room days.

2 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

He's just asking questions!

Are we sure he isn't just joking or being sarcastic again?

Apparently the EO has stuff about tracking users likes and follows as well as their activities offline. 

Not authoritarian at all.

Posted (edited)

Obvious attempt to commandeer social media completely to become a conduit for the pack of lies that have become the core of Trump and the Republicans' campaign messages. That it's done so blatantly and obviously with so many believing Trump's lies is sad. I hope he tries the EO and gets promptly taken to court. Also, it'll probably lead to even more restrictive posting policies (i.e. he'll probably lose his account) if they force these companies to further protect themselves from litigation due to misbehavior by users. 

The good news is, it'll never actually happen. This'll prove to be yet another case of bluster with zero follow through by Trump, as he's done so many times already - seems like at least once a week now.

Edited by Gr00vus

As noted by Steve Bannon, Trump's administration has been a complete attack on truth. Truth subverts his agenda. Twitter offering up token resistance has to be brushed aside in the interest of the larger purpose.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

How would this censorship be enforced?  Raid some server farms? Arrest the Twitter corporate executives?

If white collar crime cannot be investigated, why spend resources on this junk?

Edited by The Z Machine

6 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Obvious attempt to commandeer social media completely to become a conduit for the pack of lies that have become the core of Trump and the Republicans' campaign messages. That it's done so blatantly and obviously with so many believing Trump's lies is sad. I hope he tries the EO and gets promptly taken to court. Also, it'll probably lead to even more restrictive posting policies (i.e. he'll probably lose his account) if they force these companies to further protect themselves from litigation due to misbehavior by users. 

The good news is, it'll never actually happen. This'll prove to be yet another case of bluster with zero follow through by Trump, as he's done so many times already - seems like at least once a week now.

Biden's debate material writes itself. I imagine his campaign has a team that does nothing but save off all those lusciously idiotic tweets for use later. Whether it be in commercials or right on the debate stage.  

1 minute ago, The Z Machine said:

How would this censorship be enforced?  Raid some server farms? Arrest the Twitter corporate executives?

The argument being made is Twitter is protected by federal laws that they are just the vehicle that people express their stuff.  The president now does not want them protected if they are going to "moderate".  Basically, if you choose to moderate then you could be legally responsible.   However, there is also a terms and conditions agreement you sign when joining so not sure how that plays.  But let's say this passes.   I could envision Twitter than basically moderate everything. Where you post something and it won't be put up until it passes moderation.

That should go well :lmao:

Just now, Jobber said:

Biden's debate material writes itself. I imagine his campaign has a team that does nothing but save off all those lusciously idiotic tweets for use later. Whether it be in commercials or right on the debate stage.  

...and yet I get the sinking suspicion that they will #### up the opportunity. 

• Like 2

Just now, belljr said:

The argument being made is Twitter is protected by federal laws that they are just the vehicle that people express their stuff.  The president now does not want them protected if they are going to "moderate".  Basically, if you choose to moderate then you could be legally responsible.   However, there is also a terms and conditions agreement you sign when joining so not sure how that plays.  But let's say this passes.   I could envision Twitter than basically moderate everything. Where you post something and it won't be put up until it passes moderation.

With the amount of #### all over Twitter, I don’t know how this is financially viable. 

1 minute ago, -jb- said:

With the amount of #### all over Twitter, I don’t know how this is financially viable. 

I don't disagree with this 

6 minutes ago, belljr said:

And if they don't moderate the content, the executives can be held criminally liable?

8 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

And if they don't moderate the content, the executives can be held criminally liable?

Depends.  First they didn't actually moderate or change content.  Second they have terms that people sign. No nudity, hate speech etc.   I'm sure stuff falls through. But if they change the law the will be responsible for anything that is on their service, then if they don't moderate and something is posted, then they could be sued and I guess criminally liable based on what content they allowed through.

If the law changes it won't be much different than say this forum, imo.   Stuff will get removed, users banned etc.

All my opinion of course

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, belljr said:

Be careful what you wish for, Mr. President. As soon as you remove Twitter's ability to protect itself from your rhetoric and incitation, that's when your account gets shut down.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Roy L Fewks said:

Be careful what you wish for, Mr. President. As soon as you remove Twitter's ability to protect itself from your rhetoric and incitation, that's when your account gets shut down.

They should proactively do it. Just in case.

• Laughing 1

Trump getting banned from Twitter might be the funniest thing ever.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TLEF316 said:

Trump getting banned from Twitter might be the funniest thing ever.

His press conference meltdowns would be especially crazy.