What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Outside playground area full of spiders - Diatomaceous Earth? (1 Viewer)

top dog

Footballguy
I put in a rubber mulch area for the grandkids 2 years ago.  It has a couple playhouses, picnic table, various outside toys.  I noticed this year that my yard is friggin full of spiders.  I plan to spray this weekend with lawn pesticide cutter that I've used in the past.  But I don't wan to spray that in the kids area.  I feel like the rubber mulch will hold the pesticides and I don't want the kids in that.  Looking online it looks like Diatomaceous Earth is recommended as a safe organic alternative.  Stuff is food grade but kills all kinds of insects by dehydrating them.  Anyone ever use this stuff?  What is the practical application of it in a rubber mulch playground area?

https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3I2WMMIKOYCMG&dchild=1&keywords=damascus+earth&qid=1590711110&sprefix=damas%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-6

I can’t tell you for sure In that case, but we used it around the perimeter of our basement a few years back to deal with sprickets and it did kill them and some other bugs, though we still had a bunch.

my guess is that it might be hard to get it to lay right on the mulch to get them to pick it up, but that could be wrong.  It will work if it gets on them though.

I can’t tell you for sure In that case, but we used it around the perimeter of our basement a few years back to deal with sprickets and it did kill them and some other bugs, though we still had a bunch.

my guess is that it might be hard to get it to lay right on the mulch to get them to pick it up, but that could be wrong.  It will work if it gets on them though.
I thought about puffing that stuff all over the playground, but that seems like a bad plan too.  

It's great as long as you keep it wet.  When it dries and is inhaled it is a carcinogen.  But it is an organic carcinogen.

It's great as long as you keep it wet.  When it dries and is inhaled it is a carcinogen.  But it is an organic carcinogen.
Well... that sucks. How the crap do I kill the spiders but not my grandkids in a friggin mulched in play area?

Just get anything rated for vegetable gardens and spray it. Your kids will be fine. 

Keep em off it a couple days after and hose it down a couple times if you want to be extra safe. 

top dog said:
I put in a rubber mulch area for the grandkids 2 years ago.  It has a couple playhouses, picnic table, various outside toys.  I noticed this year that my yard is friggin full of spiders.  I plan to spray this weekend with lawn pesticide cutter that I've used in the past.  But I don't wan to spray that in the kids area.  I feel like the rubber mulch will hold the pesticides and I don't want the kids in that.  Looking online it looks like Diatomaceous Earth is recommended as a safe organic alternative.  Stuff is food grade but kills all kinds of insects by dehydrating them.  Anyone ever use this stuff?  What is the practical application of it in a rubber mulch playground area?

https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3I2WMMIKOYCMG&dchild=1&keywords=damascus+earth&qid=1590711110&sprefix=damas%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-6
I use the food grade to keep ants away at a place where I feed cats. I put it all around the perimeter of where I don't want the ants to enter, and it works. I also sprinkle it on some mounds. It doesn't kill the ants instantly. They dehydrate once it gets on them, but takes a few days to kill them. It won't kill the queen(s) since they hide. I try other stuff to get to them, but I have to make sure it doesn't harm the cats, and they can't get to it.

I'm not sure what the person is talking about with it getting wet. I don't want it to get wet, because then I have to put down more. Just wear a mask when you are putting it on the ground so you don't inhale the dust.  As for spiders, most are harmless and don't like to mix with people. 

Last edited by a moderator:
create some type of spray bottle concoction with vinegar, citrus oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil and a little bit of dishsoap.

Users who are viewing this thread