What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1971 NEXT 100 songs Number one with a bullet/hammer - Layla · Derek & The Dominos (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Tim did his greatest 100 songs of 1971.  I thought it was a great year for music and will attempt to go 100 songs further into 1971 so it is a challenge so to make it 'some-what' even I will include songs released from September of 1970 since they were charting strong in 71 or were just starting to chart at that time. 

I will post my list side-by-side to Tim's to compare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100. “Vincent” Don McLean  - Let That Boy Boogie · Farm

99. “Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves” Cher - Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

98. “A Horse With No Name” America - Country Road · James Taylor

97. “Long Distance Runaround” Yes - UFO - The Coming of Prince Kajuku

96. “Outa Space” Billy Preston - Albert Flasher · The Guess Who

95. “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey” Paul & Linda McCartney - Four Sticks · Led Zeppelin 

94. “Quicksand” David Bowie - Stevie Wonder - If You Really Love Me

93. “Don’t Pull Your Love Out” Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds - Laundromat · Rory Gallagher

92. “Day After Day” Badfinger - Janis Joplin - Cry Baby

91. “Mercedes Benz” Janis Joplin - Longer Boats · Cat Stevens

90. “Walk Away” James Gang - Al Green - I'm So Tired of Being Alone

89. “Northern Sky” Nick Drake - Joy To The World · Three Dog Night

88. “Crayon Angels” Judee Sill - Sooner Or Later · The Grass Roots

87. “Angel from Montgomery” John Prine - Billy Joel - She's Got A Way

86. “You Can Close Your Eyes” James Taylor - The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) · The Doors

85. “(I Know) I’m Losing You” Rod Stewart and the Faces - The Stylistics - Betcha By Golly, Wow

84. “I Am...I Said” Neil Diamond - Paul McCartney - Ram On 

83. “Love Her Madly” The Doors - Ruby Love - Cat Stevens

82. “The Battle of Evermore” Led Zeppelin - Sunshine - Jonathan Edwards

81. “Willin’” Little Feat -   Carole King - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?

80. “Bargain” The Who - Going Mobile - The Who

79. “Maggot Brain” Funkadelic - Hot Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen

78. “It Don’t Come Easy” Ringo Starr - Isaac Hayes - I Never Can Say Goodbye

77. “Never Been to Spain” Three Dog Night - Pink Floyd - Fearless

76. “Misty Mountain Hop” Led Zeppelin - (Find A) Reason To Believe - Rod Stewart

75. “The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys” Traffic - Don't Be Shy - Cat Stevens

74. “Sister Morphine” The Rolling Stones - Slippin' Into Darkness - War

73. “Jeepster” T-Rex - House at Pooh Corner · Loggins & Messina

72. “The Song Is Over” The Who - Heaven on Their Minds - Jesus Christ Superstar

71. “Wild Night” Van Morrison - Rain Dance - The Guess Who

70. “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” Bob Dylan - Do You Know What I Mean? - Lee Michaels

69. “Rock and Roll” Led Zeppelin - Apeman - The Kinks

68. “L.A. Woman” The Doors - "Another Day" - Paul McCartney

67. “Take Me Home, Country Roads” John Denver - Where You Lead · Carole King

66. “Madman Across the Water” Elton John - Your Song - Elton John

65. “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me” The Temptations - Wild World - Cat Stevens

64. “Sway” The Rolling Stones - Love The One You're With - Stephen Stills

63. “Getting In Tune” The Who -  Hocus Pocus - Focus

62. “California” Joni Mitchell - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - Led Zeppelin

61. “Oh My Love” John Lennon -  River - Joni Mitchell

60. “Sweet Lady Mary” Faces - Bell Bottom Blues - Derek And The Dominos

59. “I’d Love to Change the World” Ten Years After - "Vahevala" - Loggins and Messina

58. “Sunshine on My Shoulders” John Denver -  I Hear You Knocking - Dave Edmonds

57. “Peace Train” Cat Stevens - Tangerine · Led Zeppelin

56. “Mother Goose” Jethro Tull - Lucky Man - Emerson, Lake & Palmer 

55. “Rainy Days and Mondays” Carpenters - On The Road To Find Out · Cat Stevens

54. “So Far Away” Carole King - Our House · Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

53. “Roundabout” Yes - Hidden Treasure · Traffic

52. “I Shall Be Released” Bob Dylan - Rock steady - Aretha Franklin

51. “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” Carole King - Hey, Tonight - Creedence Clearwater Revival

50. “Black Dog” Led Zeppelin - If You Could Read My Mind Love - Gordon Lightfoot

49. “Happy Xmas (War is Over) John Lennon - Samba Pa Ti · Santana

48. “Moonlight Mile” The Rolling Stones - Smackwater Jack · Carole King

47. “Mr. Big Stuff” Jean Knight - Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again - The Fortunes

46. “Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress” The Hollies - Knock Three Times - Dawn

45. “Theme from Shaft” Isaac Hayes - "Danny's Song" - Loggins and Messina

44. “Every Picture Tells a Story” Rod Stewart -  Smiling Faces Sometimes · The Undisputed Truth

43. “Locomotive Breath” Jethro Tull - We've Only Just Begun - Carpenters

42. “My Old Man” Joni Mitchell - What Is Life - George Harrison

41. “Family Affair” Sly & the Family Stone - Moonshadow - Cat Stevens

40. “Riders on the Storm” The Doors - Bridge over Troubled Water · Aretha Franklin

39. “You’ve Got a Friend” James Taylor/Carole King (tie) - Sweet City Woman - The Stampeders

38. “Bang a Gong (Get it On) T Rex - Share The Land - The Guess Who

37. “Morning Has Broken“ Cat Stevens - Beginnings - Chicago

36. “Superstar” Carpenters - Amoreena - Elton John

35. “I’ve Seen All Good People” Yes - Rock and Roll Stew - Traffic

34. “Baby Blue” Badfinger - Southern Man - Neil Young

33. “It’s Too Late” Carole King - In the summertime - Mungo Jerry

32. “Stay With Me” Faces -  Jump Into the Fire - Harry Nilsson

31. “Brown Sugar” The Rolling Stones - Oye Como Va - Santana

30. “Queen #####” David Bowie - The Changeling - The Doors

29. “I Feel the Earth Move” Carole King -  Mr. Skin - Spirit

28. “That’s the Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be” Carly Simon -  Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? - Chicago

27. “Respect Yourself” The Staple Singers - Draggin’ The Line - Tommy James

26. “Me and Bobby McGee” Janis Joplin - Treat Her Like A Lady - Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose

25. “Changes” David Bowie - All Day Music - War

24. “American Pie” Don McLean - Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin

23. “Aqualung” Jethro Tull - Jealous Guy - John Lennon

22. “Going to California” Led Zeppelin - Where To Now St. Peter? - Elton John

21. “Can You Get to That” Funkadelic - The Story In Your Eyes - The Moody Blues

20. “Tupelo Honey” Van Morrison - After The Gold Rush - Neil Young

19. “Levon” Elton John - Cross Eyed Mary - Jethro Tull

18. “Oh! You Pretty Things” David Bowie - My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

17. “A Case of You” Joni Mitchell - Domino - Van Morrison

16. “Mandolin Wind” Rod Stewart - Gallows Pole - Led Zeppelin

15. “Behind Blue Eyes” The Who - Have You Ever Seen The Rain? - Creedence Clearwater Revival

14. “Imagine” John Lennon -  Proud Mary - Ike and Tina Turner

13. “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)” Marvin Gaye - Brand New Key - Melanie

12. “Wild Horses” The Rolling Stones - 20th Century Man - Kinks

11. “Baba O’ Riley” The Who - That's The Way - Led Zeppelin

10. “Life On Mars?” David Bowie - No Matter What - Badfinger

9. “Tiny Dancer” Elton John -  Rare Earth - I Just Want to Celebrate

8. “Maggie May” Rod Stewart - Lola - The Kinks

7. “Stairway to Heaven” Led Zeppelin - Iron Man · Black Sabbath

6. “Won’t Get Fooled Again” The Who - Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen ~ Santana

5. “Ain’t No Sunshine” Bill Withers - Only Love Can Break Your Heart · Neil Young

4. “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” The Rolling Stones -  Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground

3. “Let’s Stay Together” Al Green -  B!tch - Rolling Stones

2. “What’s Going On” Marvin Gaye -  Carry On · Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

1. “When the Levee Breaks” Led Zeppelin - Layla · Derek & The Dominos

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it because the obvious picks are gone, this is like the middle rounds of a fantasy or sports draft. Already learned one new song.
Yep. From a consensus perspective, I think he's gonna struggle the closer he gets to #1. I could beat - for me - most of tim's bottom 40 or so with records he didn't take. After that, it would have to get real personal - and I doubt most would agree with that.

So what is the protocol for discussing songs that didn’t make Tim’s list? Should we wait through this list too to see what didn’t make both lists?

So what is the protocol for discussing songs that didn’t make Tim’s list? Should we wait through this list too to see what didn’t make both lists?
You can pull up his list.  I won't peek.  I was crossing off songs as he was doing his and had to re-arrange things multiple times but I've got my list but don't spot light here because I'm positive I will be doing some songs people wanted on Tim's list.

Reminder I went back to September of 70 because those songs were still charting in the start of 71.'

Also when record companies put out albums they 'sometimes' put out singles 'prior' to the album release and 'many times' discovered they could eek out a few more bucks by cherry-picking a few songs to release as singles (45s back in the day).  I did my homework and every song fits my criteria outside of one exception and that is Cat Stevens.

The backstory is Cat was in a hospital with tuberculosis and when he got out he had pent-up creativity and put out three albums in less than two years from 70 to 71 and he also did the sound track for the cult movie Harold and Maude where he put out two bonus tracks and the one album that he put out before September 70 was used on Harold and Maude.  Cat also put out two tracks on that sound track that didn't make it to an album till the early 80s when Harold and Maude found is cult audience.  

FWIW I saw Harold and Maude in 81 before it gained cult following and hated it at the time but loved the sound track so fair warning this list contains a lot of Cat Stevens. 

One of my all time favorites by him. Would have made the top half of my list. But the exact same song first appeared in 1970 on his album, so for me that made it ineligible. 
Yes.  The album came out a year earlier.  Fire and Rain was thee-single and the record company released that single earlier than my list allowed but they must have been trying to trying to capitalize on its success by releasing this a year later.  The album release is different from the single they released as I noted above how some singles went before the album but many came after the album.

Yes.  The album came out a year earlier.  Fire and Rain was thee-single and the record company released that single earlier than my list allowed but they must have been trying to trying to capitalize on its success by releasing this a year later.  The album release is different from the single they released as I noted above how some singles went before the album but many came after the album.
Sure. And of course you can do this anyway you like and that’s fine. My own criteria was look at the year the song was first released, either on an album or as a single. 

Sure. And of course you can do this anyway you like and that’s fine. My own criteria was look at the year the song was first released, either on an album or as a single. 
I was following a formula of trying to find songs that were of the year 1971, basically when they were being played on the radio.  When you started doing your list I thought it was big task but then recalled 71 was a great year for music.  I started noting a few songs and thought I could make a list of 30 or so songs but they kept coming.  I was surprised I found more than 50 let alone 100 so the way I distinguish my list from yours is it 'attempts' to capture something of the musical zeitgeist of 1971.  

Burton Cummings has one of it not the greatest vocal range of any male singer from the 60s/70s era.  Randy Bockman of BTO as his side kick.  Rockin' Canucks in the lovable non-pejorative way. 

Released July 1971 

-------------------------------

EDIT:  Thought I'd look up what others have said about Cummings voice and found all sorts of praise and this quote by Plant.

Robert Plant was once asked
"If he could sing like anybody else, who wuould it be?"
The legendary voice of led Zeppelin replied, "Burton Cummings".

Hitsville USA aka Motown had its own group of studio musicians known as the Funk Brothers.  They were an amalgamation of primarily 13 musicians that played on tons of Motown records/hits.  They were like 'The Wrecking Crew' but never gained fame even to this day.  'If You Really Love Me' was one of that last times the Funk Brothers would back a big hit as Motown would move to LA a few months later.  Wonder let Detroit after the release of this song.

Released 22 July 1971

Hitsville USA aka Motown had its own group of studio musicians known as the Funk Brothers.  They were an amalgamation of primarily 13 musicians that played on tons of Motown records/hits.  They were like 'The Wrecking Crew' but never gained fame even to this day.  'If You Really Love Me' was one of that last times the Funk Brothers would back a big hit as Motown would move to LA a few months later.  Wonder let Detroit after the release of this song.

Released 22 July 1971
I'm assuming you've seen the documentary Standing In The Shadows Of Motown

I have not.  Edu-ma-cate me and others on what you want or can share.
It was done in 2002 and is about the Funk Brothers. There are some "modern" performances of classic Motown hits (the weakest part of the film, IMO), but the bulk of it is the surviving members sitting around telling stories. I'm sure it's streaming somewhere - Amazon Prime had it last time I watched a couple of years ago.

Here's the wiki page on it.

It was done in 2002 and is about the Funk Brothers. There are some "modern" performances of classic Motown hits (the weakest part of the film, IMO), but the bulk of it is the surviving members sitting around telling stories. I'm sure it's streaming somewhere - Amazon Prime had it last time I watched a couple of years ago.

Here's the wiki page on it.
Good Stuff Uruk-Hai.  Thanks I'll look for it.  Still need to see documentary on 'The Wrecking Crew' but have seen tidbits on them especially after Glenn Campbell's death.

First of  many Cat Stevens songs on my list.  As noted Cat put out three albums in the 70 to 71 era and also had two tracks on the sound track to the movie Harold and Maude.  This is from 'Tea For the Tillerman' and I've always loved this tune.

Released 23 November 1970

Since I'm taking songs from September of 70, this tune from November qualifies.

Al before he was attacked with a boiling pot of hot grits by an obsessed female assailant who then grabbed his gun, ran into the next room then killed herself.  Al was severely injured undergoing painful skin grafts.  Afterwards he switched to gospel music and became a preacher.  

#90 Al Green - I'm So Tired of Being Alone

Released March 1971 

EDIT:  Just saw this note about the attack.  The woman who assaulted Al wrote two suicide letters.  In one them she said that Al would become a great preacher.  Al had the letter inscribed into a plaque at one of his ministries.   

Want to get one more posted before the boards shut down for maintenance and what better tune than the number-one song of 1971.

#89 Joy To The World · Three Dog Night

The song is different from other Three Dog Night tunes as all 7 members of the group join in harmony.  The group never thought it was their best song but it was their most popular and became their signature song.

Interesting tidbit, the song is written by Hoyt Axton.  His mother, Mae Boren Axton wrote the Elvis Presley song 'Heartbreak Hotel' making them the only mother and son family members to write number-one hits in modern rock history.  I was blown away by that for some reason.

Want to get one more posted before the boards shut down for maintenance and what better tune than the number-one song of 1971.

#89 Joy To The World · Three Dog Night

The song is different from other Three Dog Night tunes as all 7 members of the group join in harmony.  The group never thought it was their best song but it was their most popular and became their signature song.

Interesting tidbit, the song is written by Hoyt Axton.  His mother, Mae Boren Axton wrote the Elvis Presley song 'Heartbreak Hotel' making them the only mother and son family members to write number-one hits in modern rock history.  I was blown away by that for some reason.
That story beats the one of The Monkees mother inventing Liquid Paper.

Users who are viewing this thread