What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aldon Smith---DE (1 Viewer)

Go Blue

Footballguy
Smith has been reinstated by the NFL and I believe he is a must add (ASAP).

Smith was headed to the Hall of Fame after two years in the league. 

NFL records:

Fastest player in league history to record his 30th career sack (27 games)

Most sacks in a player's first two seasons (33.5)

49ers franchise records:

Most sacks by a rookie in a single season (14.0)

Most sacks in a single season (19.5)

Sadly things were mostly downhill from there. He ran afoul of the NFL's substance abuse and personal conduct policies. He hasn't played in the NFL in 5 years, but he doesn't cost you anything right now. 

The starting DE spot across from DeMarcus Lawrence is there for the taking. If Smith truly has his head on straight, he has the potential to be a top 10 DE. 

Smith has been reinstated by the NFL and I believe he is a must add (ASAP).

Smith was headed to the Hall of Fame after two years in the league. 

NFL records:

Fastest player in league history to record his 30th career sack (27 games)

Most sacks in a player's first two seasons (33.5)

49ers franchise records:

Most sacks by a rookie in a single season (14.0)

Most sacks in a single season (19.5)

Sadly things were mostly downhill from there. He ran afoul of the NFL's substance abuse and personal conduct policies. He hasn't played in the NFL in 5 years, but he doesn't cost you anything right now. 

The starting DE spot across from DeMarcus Lawrence is there for the taking. If Smith truly has his head on straight, he has the potential to be a top 10 DE. 
They have been saying this for 5 years now.

Still a good add as a end of roster stash, though. It isn't easy to find a potential stud DE on the wire. 
He last played in 2015.  A guy 4 years out of football isn't going to come back and be a stud.  Sure he has talent but he hasn't worked his technique, his intensity, his core strength.  Guys like Cam Jordan, Calais Cambpell, Carlop Dunlap have all been constantly at work since coming into the league and worshiping their bodies as temples and they are a razor's edge from being JAG if they let off the gas one iota.  We have no idea what Aldon's been doing with what, HS level coaching?  What kind of conditioning and nutrition do we think he's been exposed to in the 4 years since he's had NFL access?  We don't even know what kind of shape he's gonna be in.  I suppose "good enough for DAL to sign him" but even then we don't know those conditions - is this pending a physical? He's only been reinstated for access to virtual program at this point.  There can't be any guaranteed money or signing bonus right? 

i suppose it depends on the league and if it's a "free" stash then sure, why not.  None of my leagues are like that so I'll be passing.  We do FAAB and with a $50 reload and a minimum $1 bid that's 2% of your annual allotment.  Those add up when you miss, and these leagues roll that money over into RFA the following season.  So when a guy like Cam Heyward goes for $4 or Jordan for $6 you can't be getting crazy with stashes.  I'd rather that $1 for Matt Ioannidis who I know I can expect some flex or depth value from.

He last played in 2015.  A guy 4 years out of football isn't going to come back and be a stud.  Sure he has talent but he hasn't worked his technique, his intensity, his core strength.  Guys like Cam Jordan, Calais Cambpell, Carlop Dunlap have all been constantly at work since coming into the league and worshiping their bodies as temples and they are a razor's edge from being JAG if they let off the gas one iota.  We have no idea what Aldon's been doing with what, HS level coaching?  What kind of conditioning and nutrition do we think he's been exposed to in the 4 years since he's had NFL access?  We don't even know what kind of shape he's gonna be in.  I suppose "good enough for DAL to sign him" but even then we don't know those conditions - is this pending a physical? He's only been reinstated for access to virtual program at this point.  There can't be any guaranteed money or signing bonus right? 

i suppose it depends on the league and if it's a "free" stash then sure, why not.  None of my leagues are like that so I'll be passing.  We do FAAB and with a $50 reload and a minimum $1 bid that's 2% of your annual allotment.  Those add up when you miss, and these leagues roll that money over into RFA the following season.  So when a guy like Cam Heyward goes for $4 or Jordan for $6 you can't be getting crazy with stashes.  I'd rather that $1 for Matt Ioannidis who I know I can expect some flex or depth value from.
some of this depends on your roster makeup.  If you have some depth it might be a better play to take the chance on the upside.  Easy to cut quick if he isn't working.

some of this depends on your roster makeup.  If you have some depth it might be a better play to take the chance on the upside.  Easy to cut quick if he isn't working.
If I have depth I'm saving my $.  Not throwing 2% on a guy that hasn't played for 4 years.  If I'm wrong so be it.  Sometimes the other guy hits the gutshot on the river but it's not going to change how I play it.

If I have depth I'm saving my $.  Not throwing 2% on a guy that hasn't played for 4 years.  If I'm wrong so be it.  Sometimes the other guy hits the gutshot on the river but it's not going to change how I play it.
Understood.  Its not a one size fits all answer though.......which was my point.  There are instances where sometimes you need to take a chance and go for the gutshot draw.

Understood.  Its not a one size fits all answer though.......which was my point.  There are instances where sometimes you need to take a chance and go for the gutshot draw.
But that's not what I'm saying and I don't agree.  Whether or not I need depth, whether or not I'm taking a shot at upside, Aldon Smith isn't who I'm spending constrained resources on.  If I were in a league with free waivers then sure, there's no harm in free.

Definitely format dependent. I wouldn't be spending any resources, either. My leagues are free waivers right now and 50+ roster size. There's a churn spot available and no cost to use it on Smith. 

I flipped through my 4 leagues and the only one I'm looking to add him is a contract league. So, yeah, I guess I don't really value him all that highly, in general. One league is an orphan from 2 months ago that I'm viewing as a rebuild. One where I drafted Chase Young and have Hubbard to pair in a start 2 DE (and Ferrell / Odenigbo are backing up, both valued much more highly than a flier on Smith). The 3rd is one that hasn't even restarted for 2020 but I may add him with guys like Donald Payne & Taylor Gabriel waiting to be replaced on my roster.  

Lawrence is talking about possibly sitting out the season... there's no depth there, I'm putting in some $1 bids.

OOPS

Holy carp is this guy good.  Like next generational Ultraman good, we sure got robbed of something special losing his prime years to addiction.  I don't regret my take, 99.9% of the time it's right, but wow this guy is unbelievable what I'm seeing.  I did end up snagging him in two leagues but that's 3 too few.  To rub some salt in the wound, he's a cheat code getting LB snaps/stats at DE designation.  Man you thought getting a LB in a S wrapper was nice.  One IDP isn't league winning, but this guy is as close as you're gonna see.  22 from a DL is nuts.

OOPS

Holy carp is this guy good.  Like next generational Ultraman good, we sure got robbed of something special losing his prime years to addiction.  I don't regret my take, 99.9% of the time it's right, but wow this guy is unbelievable what I'm seeing.  I did end up snagging him in two leagues but that's 3 too few.  To rub some salt in the wound, he's a cheat code getting LB snaps/stats at DE designation.  Man you thought getting a LB in a S wrapper was nice.  One IDP isn't league winning, but this guy is as close as you're gonna see.  22 from a DL is nuts.
I am kicking myself because I forgot about him in my draft (was going to take him as a late flyer with a $1 salary) but totally forgot.  Then I got poached on the waiver wire prior to the season when I had my second chance to get him.  Then to rub salt in the would I faced him and his three sacks this week to give me the loss.  Just a terrible kick to the nuts.

I would have added him but had no money.

In the words of Altman's Wimpy:

I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...

OOPS

JJ Watt in his glory years disagrees.

He can disagree all he wants, he's wrong.  A 5 PPG delta in a start-20 league isn't winning it.
League parameters of course affect the impact. The leagues I play in start between 15-18 players, so I have not played in a start 20 league. In some of my big play scoring leagues having Watt was a huge advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread