What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper league bylaws? (1 Viewer)

crazylegs1

Footballguy
Hey everyone. I had a question. My home redraft league is looking to move from a redraft league to a keeper league. Does anyone know where I could find some decent keeper league bylaws? Thanks for any help.

There are so many variations that you really need to figure out what type of keeper league it is that you and your owners want, each having pros and cons:

Is it a dynasty (keep all players), a fixed number (everyone must keep the same number of players), a max number (everyone can keep up to x number of players)?

Is there a "cost" involved, such as draft pick forfeiture? If so, what is that cost based on, is if Player 1 is your 1st round pick, player 2 is your 2nd round pick, or do you forfeit the pick they were drafted in (and then what is cost for FA pickups)? Do you charge the round plus X , so for example if x is 2, then a player drafted in the 4th round could be kept for a 2nd round pick the following year, etc.

Do you want to cap how many years in a row a player can be kept?

That was just a couple of the things off the top of my head that need to be addressed (I'm sure there are a lot more regarding just the keeper aspect that will come up as you work through those), but those lead to additional rules questions, such as the trading of draft picks (allowed or not, and if so how many seasons into the future), when are keepers declared, can you do trades between season end and keeper declaration, etc.

Also, need to decide if draft order is based on previous seasons finish or not (in general, the more keepers there are, the stronger the case to have previous seasons finish determine draft order, the less keepers, the more it can be argued that a more random order is fairer).

You know your league best and what they are looking to do, so as you come up with some of those answers can help you figure out what other things you need to think about based on those decisions.

There are so many variations that you really need to figure out what type of keeper league it is that you and your owners want, each having pros and cons:

Is it a dynasty (keep all players), a fixed number (everyone must keep the same number of players), a max number (everyone can keep up to x number of players)?

Is there a "cost" involved, such as draft pick forfeiture? If so, what is that cost based on, is if Player 1 is your 1st round pick, player 2 is your 2nd round pick, or do you forfeit the pick they were drafted in (and then what is cost for FA pickups)? Do you charge the round plus X , so for example if x is 2, then a player drafted in the 4th round could be kept for a 2nd round pick the following year, etc.

Do you want to cap how many years in a row a player can be kept?

That was just a couple of the things off the top of my head that need to be addressed (I'm sure there are a lot more regarding just the keeper aspect that will come up as you work through those), but those lead to additional rules questions, such as the trading of draft picks (allowed or not, and if so how many seasons into the future), when are keepers declared, can you do trades between season end and keeper declaration, etc.

Also, need to decide if draft order is based on previous seasons finish or not (in general, the more keepers there are, the stronger the case to have previous seasons finish determine draft order, the less keepers, the more it can be argued that a more random order is fairer).

You know your league best and what they are looking to do, so as you come up with some of those answers can help you figure out what other things you need to think about based on those decisions.
Think these guys want to keep it pretty basic, keep 2 players is as far as they want to go. Lose draft pick where drafted player + 1 round to keep the player, etc. Simple is better.

Think these guys want to keep it pretty basic, keep 2 players is as far as they want to go. Lose draft pick where drafted player + 1 round to keep the player, etc. Simple is better.
You just answered your own question.  If you want simple, what you described is as simple as it gets.   You just need to decide on how long you can keep a guy.  That is the only thing missing.

Simple is definitely better, especially for a first foray into keepers.

Like Gally said, also need to decide if there is a max length of time a player can be kept (ie can only be kept for 3 seasons, etc.) and also, if you do it as a cost (draft +1) I suggest making it a max number of keepers, not a forced number of keepers, that way if a team does not have any player (or only one) that they feel is of value to be kept, they are not forced to.

Users who are viewing this thread