What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bunch of riots going on (1 Viewer)

They announced an 8 pm to 6am curfew in Duuuuvalll county. I was alerted by text, by TV, and by some creepy computerized voice that called my cellphone.

In response I wheeled my trash can to the curb at 8:02 PM.  #habituallinestepper #staysafeyall 
Update- I forgot the kitchen trash which I took to the curb at 8:52. I saw one minivan drive by. 

Not arguing right or wrong here, but saw this somewhere else and they said that wasn't the police, it was the national guard, and they were told multiple times to go inside as they were violating the curfew and they refused to. Not sure that gives them the right to use force but what is the alternative? Direct physical confrontation and possible worse violence and potential deadly outcomes? Whole thing is a mess.
This was covered in the PSF. It was the Minneapolis police and the curfew FAQ states that you CAN be outside on your own property. Not in the street and these people were not. Newer tweets going around saying it was the National Guard.

This should die down tomorrow with it being a weekday, right?

I assume some of the rioters/looters/insert name have jobs?

Flint, where the police laid down their weapons and joined in the march seemed to have almost no property damage.

There are numerous ways that law enforcement can try to protect public safety.
Gotcha. I prefer using force. #### these people. 

Disgusting to see what the looters did in Santa Monica. Scary to think what’s possible when law enforcement is that outnumbered. 

I live in a community in Raleigh with apartments, stores, etc. Stores were looted last night and at least one person was assaulted. National Guard was brought in. Weird seeing these guys with their HMMWVs and assault rifles in my neighborhood.

dunno how 95% of what i'm seeing falls under "protest" ... this is some sickening ####. 
It doesn’t. The looting has nothing to do with protests. It’s too bad because it’s the type of stuff that basically negates everything protestors are trying to accomplish. It’s also sad that when it started, the people running protests should have tried to stop it. I’m not sure they could because there are opportunistic people out there. Seeing people loot is just sad. That guy who died trying to loot the FedEx truck is just sad and I don’t blame that driver. Many people don’t remember Reginald Denny and what happened to him. If I am a truck driver and people are jumping on my cab and pointing guns, I’m getting the F out of there.

Peaceful protests aren't working either, obviously. Wish I had the magic solution
Leadership would be a good start.

I don't mean our president but this is a police brutality/abuse of power issue the country deals with since.....forever. I know it speaks loudest when it is against minorities, specifically the black community. 

What would go a loooooong way is a leader from the black community who could speak up, actually mediate and offer solutions that can begin a dialog and make positive progressive changes.

Right now we have anarchy. Like children stomping their feet and pouting saying we need justice while holding a flat-screen TV but no one is actually speaking on their behalf with actual demands of changes to implement....its all noise to government and middle America. 

Until someone steps up and is the face of the change needed and can speak on what changes should be made, we will be right here again in March when the next unarmed black dude has 18 bullet holes in him for not coming to a complete stop at stop sign.

Leadership would be a good start.

I don't mean our president but this is a police brutality/abuse of power issue the country deals with since.....forever. I know it speaks loudest when it is against minorities, specifically the black community. 

What would go a loooooong way is a leader from the black community who could speak up, actually mediate and offer solutions that can begin a dialog and make positive progressive changes.

Right now we have anarchy. Like children stomping their feet and pouting saying we need justice while holding a flat-screen TV but no one is actually speaking on their behalf with actual demands of changes to implement....its all noise to government and middle America. 

Until someone steps up and is the face of the change needed and can speak on what changes should be made, we will be right here again in March when the next unarmed black dude has 18 bullet holes in him for not coming to a complete stop at stop sign.
I would agree with this. Look at that one video of the cop putting his knee on the neck of a white protestor. The other cop pushed it off but what it showed me is that is obviously a technique used. The murderer cop in Minneapolis obviously didn’t care to stop, but maybe that’s a technique that is learned and maybe a new technique is needed.

Instead of inciting more violence how about trying to come up with some standards that subdue and don’t kill with LE and other community leaders. How about an education of people on how to avoid being killed by LE. I’m not kidding, we’ve seen plenty of cases where there was a huge gray area. It’s not like cops haven’t been killed trying to be cautious so they are likely on edge. I don’t know the rules but the riots and looting just make a lot of people not care about cops going to far because it just shows the other side of see what happens if cops don’t strictly enforce laws and react tough.

Unfortunately, there is no gray area anymore or compromise hoping to get to a better place. It’s right or wrong and the media/social media plays into that for clicks so that doesn’t bring people together.

What puzzles and saddens me is that in contrast to, for example, the Trayvon Martin case, there don't even appear to be two sides opposing each other on the issue.  I haven't heard anyone actually defend the cops in the initial incident.  It seems everyone is on more or less the same page, and yet somehow it has led to mayhem?  I get that there's a whole history and we need to think of it in light of that, but it all seems so senseless and counterproductive.

What puzzles and saddens me is that in contrast to, for example, the Trayvon Martin case, there don't even appear to be two sides opposing each other on the issue.  I haven't heard anyone actually defend the cops in the initial incident.  It seems everyone is on more or less the same page, and yet somehow it has led to mayhem?  I get that there's a whole history and we need to think of it in light of that, but it all seems so senseless and counterproductive.
The problem is the anarchist losers / or opportunistic looters that have hijacked the protest.  The antifa people have been protesting for a long time now, and they are basically the evolution of the occupy wall street people.  They are pissed at the economy and hate everything.  

I don’t think the rioters or looters really care that much and again it’s certainly not going to get people to care more even though no one can look at that video and think the cops did the right thing. I’m not talking extremists, but Joe Average who may think the cops should be charged with murder but now is less reluctant to  be supportive when he sees a bunch of Floyds looting and rioting. Yes, I know there are more than that, but Joe Average sees that and starts to think that maybe the cops just went overboard a bit instead of those cops are just evil and killed someone. I think what they did is despicable but I also see the looting as despicable.

I watched the LA riots and I was in the camp that thought the beating of King was wrong and the people who pulled out Denny were wrong. Unfortunately, too many extremists thought the Denny beating was justified because of King and thought that the cops were justified after they saw what happened to Denny. In the end, the rioting pretty much put a blanket over what happened to King and didn’t really help.

This is getting beyond nuts. There have been social media posts announcing plans of an organized and almost militant protest tomorrow night here in Manchester, NH. They have issued a call to arms to come participate and are flat out announcing they are going to go on a rampage and destroy whatever they can. WTF?!?

Businesses are preparing as if a hurricane or tsunami is coming . . . boarding up windows and storefronts and adding extra security as fast as they can. Residents are forming groups of armed civilians to man posts and patrol streets, organizing shifts on rooftops to try to stop rioters and looters. They are bringing in the national guard.

Someone called into a radio station to preach the message that the entire system needs to go, peaceful protests don't work, and the only way to initiate change is to burn everything to the ground.

So tomorrow night, the people in the trenches and on the streets will be 1) rioters, 2) armed civilians, 3) law enforcement, and 4) the National Guard. Yikes. Scary, scary stuff.

The rioting is no longer just about about one death.  It is about the centuries/decades of black justifiable anger.  Could this have been stopped with the arrest/charge of all four, maybe.  This a powder keg waiting to blow for a while.

If only we had a leader who could lead instead of only saying/yelling about how governor's suck. 

Anarchy99 said:
This is getting beyond nuts. There have been social media posts announcing plans of an organized and almost militant protest tomorrow night here in Manchester, NH. They have issued a call to arms to come participate and are flat out announcing they are going to go on a rampage and destroy whatever they can. WTF?!?

Businesses are preparing as if a hurricane or tsunami is coming . . . boarding up windows and storefronts and adding extra security as fast as they can. Residents are forming groups of armed civilians to man posts and patrol streets, organizing shifts on rooftops to try to stop rioters and looters. They are bringing in the national guard.

Someone called into a radio station to preach the message that the entire system needs to go, peaceful protests don't work, and the only way to initiate change is to burn everything to the ground.

So tomorrow night, the people in the trenches and on the streets will be 1) rioters, 2) armed civilians, 3) law enforcement, and 4) the National Guard. Yikes. Scary, scary stuff.
For some issues, peaceful protests clearly have not worked. Are non-peaceful protests the answer? No. But that's unfortunately what happens when you keep allowing the same abuses of power to happen over and over again. People have been locked down for months, high unemployment, tired of failed government (both parties), and not much hope for the future. Powder keg. Boston tea party on steroids. It will probably subside in the next couple of weeks but yeah it might get worse. 

comfortably numb said:
What would go a loooooong way is a leader from the black community who could speak up... 

...we will be right here again in March when the next unarmed black dude has 18 bullet holes in him for not coming to a complete stop at stop sign.
I don't think there's a shortage of people advocating for the black community.  What would actually go a loooooooong way is for a leader from the police community to speak up and fix their ####. 

As you said, it's practically expected that we'll be back here the next time an unarmed black man commits a minor traffic violation and gets murdered by police.  Why are you victim-blaming the black community for not fixing the problem?  Maybe cops should stop murdering people.  

The rioting is no longer just about about one death. 
All the news clips I've seen are young masked white males vandalizing and trying to break into retail stores to loot things. These scumbags don't care about anyone or anything.

The rioting is no longer just about about one death.  It is about the centuries/decades of black justifiable anger.  Could this have been stopped with the arrest/charge of all four, maybe.  This a powder keg waiting to blow for a while.

If only we had a leader who could lead instead of only saying/yelling about how governor's suck. 
Yeah, this is turning into a revolution.  Or at least, it certainly has the feel of one.

Anarchy99 said:

Add to this the occupant of the oval office just chided governor's to start busting skulls(paraphrased)

Gonna be awhile before this ends, imo

what shark move is left if there was no real change even after you got an African American to be President?

All the news clips I've seen are young masked white males vandalizing and trying to break into retail stores to loot things. These scumbags don't care about anyone or anything.
Be very careful using terms like scumbag to defend the poor innocent looters. There are some on these boards that are very sensitive and will report you.

No. The rioting is about rioting and looting.   This has nothing to do with Trump. Nothing.  

Be very careful using terms like scumbag to defend the poor innocent looters. There are some on these boards that are very sensitive and will report you.
Try watching a different channel then ‘cause the ones I’ve watched are all blacks looting stores. Literally 100%. And I’ve gone back and forth between Fox, CNN, and MSNBC.

I don't think there's a shortage of people advocating for the black community.  What would actually go a loooooooong way is for a leader from the police community to speak up and fix their ####. 

As you said, it's practically expected that we'll be back here the next time an unarmed black man commits a minor traffic violation and gets murdered by police.  Why are you victim-blaming the black community for not fixing the problem?  Maybe cops should stop murdering people.  
Maybe I am victim-blaming :shrug:

Cops ain't gonna stop murdering people. That much is evident. 

Ball is in the court of the people. 

What's our move?

Protestaloot? 

Try watching a different channel then ‘cause the ones I’ve watched are all blacks looting stores. Literally 100%. And I’ve gone back and forth between Fox, CNN, and MSNBC.
plenty of idiots of all colors acting like fools the last few days.

I'm watching the local Los Angeles news team.

what shark move is left if there was no real change even after you got an African American to be President?
On the criminal side, start consistently charging cops with crimes for using excessive force.   Change laws requiring grand juries to indict cops in these instances, and leave it to district attorneys, prosecuting attorneys and attorneys general.   

On the civil side, make cops who are sued pay out of their own pockets and pensions instead of having it paid by the city or county's insurance.   Make them hire their own attorneys instead of paying their defense costs.  

In almost every instance, it's taxpayers who pay when a cop is held liable for wrongful death or bodily injury.   If they weren't guaranteed protection from the justice system, maybe they would think twice about the consequences of their actions.  

Last edited by a moderator:
On the criminal side, start consistently charging cops with crimes for using excessive force.   Change laws requiring grand juries to indict cops in these instances, and leave it to district attorneys, prosecuting attorneys and attorneys general.   

On the civil side, make cops who are sued pay out of their own pockets and pensions instead of having it paid by the city or county's insurance.   Make them hire their own attorneys instead of paying their defense costs.  

In almost every instance, it's taxpayers who pay when a cop is held liable for wrongful death or bodily injury.   If they weren't guaranteed protection from the justice system, maybe they would think twice about the consequences of their actions.  
I am not a lawyer so I'm sure there are repercussions that I'm not considering, but the way qualified immunity is applied in some instances is appalling.  Government official does something outrageous, taxpayers end up paying millions in legal fees and fines, and the official gets put on administrative leave and given their job back when it's all over.  Reason mag does a good job of cataloging some of the more egregious cases.

Why would you expect an African American president to change the culture of our law enforcement?

The answer starts with weeding out more of the bad cops.

How much change did you expect when a large number of whites, including our current president, tried to discredit that president by saying it was illegal?  Not to mention mitch mcconnell/etc saying his only goal was to get him out of office? 

I also think that is part of their anger.  They thought by obama being elected it would solve their problems.  Obviously it did not. 

Tough one.  Most cops don't make enough to be on the hook for financial responsibility. I was shocked to see that our town hires cops at 35k per year. I hire truck drivers at 75-100k per year and struggle to hire "good people".  That blows my mind.  Why would anyone put themselves into the situations a cop gets into for 35k?  I think it's kind of like President. Those that are gung-ho and want the job are exactly the ones we don't want to have it. So maybe it starts by making it a desirable job for people who don't want to carry a gun and handcuffs and we go from there?

are the protests against white cops on african americans?  would this be happening if the cop was black?  if the perp was white?  i don’t think there is a definite answer out there, which is why i personally don’t know what to make of this.  i don’t deify cops as heroes, but 1 bad apple doesn’t rot the bunch either.  

Dr_Zaius said:
We have an idiot cop who was fired then charged with murder within a few days. ........yet we have riots all over the country.  

Most of the people rioting probably dont even know what happened.  Entire message is lost.

Tough one.  Most cops don't make enough to be on the hook for financial responsibility. I was shocked to see that our town hires cops at 35k per year. I hire truck drivers at 75-100k per year and struggle to hire "good people".  That blows my mind.  Why would anyone put themselves into the situations a cop gets into for 35k?  I think it's kind of like President. Those that are gung-ho and want the job are exactly the ones we don't want to have it. So maybe it starts by making it a desirable job for people who don't want to carry a gun and handcuffs and we go from there?
Right.  So maybe they wouldn't put their livelihood, their retirement and their homes on the line in exchange for the pleasure of abusing someone.   Insulating them from personal liability encourages reckless behavior.

I agree their pay should be fair for a doing a critical and dangerous job.  I also think they need proper training, and they should have complete background checks and mental health evaluations before they get handed a gun and badge.  I don't know if they're underpaid commonly.   

I just looked at the pay scale for my town in Washington.   Looks like $80K-105K plus a $10K signing bonus.   I don't see that as underpaid.

We have an idiot cop who was fired then charged with murder within a few days. ........yet we have riots all over the country.  

Most of the people rioting probably dont even know what happened.  Entire message is lost.
Why haven't the other three been charged?  The police chief admitted they were complicit.   That could go a long way toward making people believe that maybe justice will be served.   

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread