What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bunch of riots going on (1 Viewer)

Tough one.  Most cops don't make enough to be on the hook for financial responsibility. I was shocked to see that our town hires cops at 35k per year. I hire truck drivers at 75-100k per year and struggle to hire "good people".  That blows my mind.  Why would anyone put themselves into the situations a cop gets into for 35k?  I think it's kind of like President. Those that are gung-ho and want the job are exactly the ones we don't want to have it. So maybe it starts by making it a desirable job for people who don't want to carry a gun and handcuffs and we go from there?
Cops.  Why would anyone want this job?  There are a lot of good ones out there so dont take this the wrong way, but the type of people we want for this job are not going to be attracted to it. 

The pay is already crap and the risk is already immense for both bodily harm and psychological stress.  So now we add on a much higher risk of going to prison and/or being sued for being bad at your job?  

Not really going out on a limb here, but our priorities as a nation are not exactly where they need to be.  

Cops and teachers make less money than many jobs out there that dont even need to exist.

Why haven't the other three been charged?  The police chief admitted they were complicit.   That could go a long way toward making people believe that maybe justice will be served.   
If they were charged right now, would all the planned riots stop?  Probably not.  

They should be charged if they should be charged, not because a riot makes them get charged.  

Charging them right now just might do more harm than good in the future.  There might be a riot every time people want something.

Plus if they do charge them and they are found not guilty, well, more riots for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
apparently since its ok to go out and riot in large groups all over the country the general public is rejecting the masks and social distancing we were just all so excited about a week ago.

nobody cares anymore,  i drive the same route multiple times a day and see no traffic, a few people and everyone wearing masks.    Today i see lots of traffic, no one wearing masks and hundreds of people walking around.   I even drove downtown Portland just to see what damage the riots did for myself.   Minimal, mostly graffiti and a few broken windows.   

people are stupid

Right.  So maybe they wouldn't put their livelihood, their retirement and their homes on the line in exchange for the pleasure of abusing someone.   Insulating them from personal liability encourages reckless behavior.

I agree their pay should be fair for a doing a critical and dangerous job.  I also think they need proper training, and they should have complete background checks and mental health evaluations before they get handed a gun and badge.  I don't know if they're underpaid commonly.   

I just looked at the pay scale for my town in Washington.   Looks like $80K-105K plus a $10K signing bonus.   I don't see that as underpaid.
Probably would make sense to stop disqualifying cop applicants for previously smoking weed.  Either you are hiring liars or you're hiring someone that's probably a little too hip on law and order.

If they were charged right now, would all the planned riots stop?  Probably not.  

They should be charged if they should be charged, not because a riot makes them get charged.  

Charging them right now just might do more harm than good in the future.  There might be a riot every time people want something.

Plus if they do charge them and they are found not guilty, well, more riots for that.
They should have been charged immediately.   That's sort of the point.

Probably would make sense to stop disqualifying cop applicants for previously smoking weed.  Either you are hiring liars or you're hiring someone that's probably a little too hip on law and order.
Weed doesn't disqualify you from law enforcement, not even the FBI.   

How much change did you expect when a large number of whites, including our current president, tried to discredit that president by saying it was illegal?  Not to mention mitch mcconnell/etc saying his only goal was to get him out of office? 

I also think that is part of their anger.  They thought by obama being elected it would solve their problems.  Obviously it did not. 
People who are racist will continue to be racist even against some who is rich.  Money can solve other problems but not prejudice.

They should have been charged immediately.   That's sort of the point.
Does that ever happen with any crimes?  Generally they investigate things first.  A few days seemed actually pretty decent.  What, do we need a DA on every street corner now?

They also have to decide exactly what they are going to charge them with. 

We have an idiot cop who was fired then charged with murder within a few days. ........yet we have riots all over the country.  

Most of the people rioting probably dont even know what happened.  Entire message is lost.
No, everyone knows what happened. Some, though, are either being opportunistic to spread discord or using the chaos and distraction to loot.  And the message isn't being lost.  It's just being muddled and complicated by the rioting and looting.  Arguably, the message was lost when the protests consisted merely of taking a knee during the anthem.  Maybe these protests, as ugly and frustrating as they've been at times, will be more effective at making the message stick.  

Maybe having done it  in the past is not an automatic disqualification however you cannot be currently doing it if you are a federal employee (even if you live in a state that it is legal).

No, everyone knows what happened. Some, though, are either being opportunistic to spread discord or using the chaos and distraction to loot.  And the message isn't being lost.  It's just being muddled and complicated by the rioting and looting.  Arguably, the message was lost when the protests consisted merely of taking a knee during the anthem.  Maybe these protests, as ugly and frustrating as they've been at times, will be more effective at making the message stick.  
i would argue that nobody knows what happened except the cops and the deceased.  

Does that ever happen with any crimes?  Generally they investigate things first.  A few days seemed actually pretty decent.  What, do we need a DA on every street corner now?

They also have to decide exactly what they are going to charge them with. 
well, since the first cop was charged with third degree murder and they are accessories, it seems that they know what the charge is.  but they still haven't been charged.  that is pissing off people who think that police get treated differently when they engage in criminal behavior.

Watching Trump’s press conference now. Good. Get in there and roll some heads. 

Right.  So maybe they wouldn't put their livelihood, their retirement and their homes on the line in exchange for the pleasure of abusing someone.   Insulating them from personal liability encourages reckless behavior.

I agree their pay should be fair for a doing a critical and dangerous job.  I also think they need proper training, and they should have complete background checks and mental health evaluations before they get handed a gun and badge.  I don't know if they're underpaid commonly.   

I just looked at the pay scale for my town in Washington.   Looks like $80K-105K plus a $10K signing bonus.   I don't see that as underpaid.
Once the pay is fair I agree, the next step is to screen out the nut jobs, zealots, bigots, and racists. Then train them regularly on interpersonal and leadership skills. Then we just have to figure out fear and the lizard brain response.

Once the pay is fair I agree, the next step is to screen out the nut jobs, zealots, bigots, and racists. Then train them regularly on interpersonal and leadership skills. Then we just have to figure out fear and the lizard brain response.
Depends what type of area you work in.  For many suburban police a big day is a couple of stop sign tickets so no stress.  In Detroit I know police that make 12 runs a shift with most being high stress situations where your safety is at risk . Try doing that day in day out.  Detroit has its share of police beatings and shootings but the majority is black police and black suspects so there is a totally different dynamic.

A riot isnt a protest, and a protest isnt a riot.  So no

Is that relatively new?  I had heard that from police officers before, but it was many years ago.  Concern was they would steal evidence or shake people down for personal use.

Is that relatively new?  I had heard that from police officers before, but it was many years ago.  Concern was they would steal evidence or shake people down for personal use.
FBI routinely recruits out of law schools.  I was recruited in 1999.  They told me a history of marijuana use was not a problem.

We have an idiot cop who was fired then charged with murder within a few days. ........yet we have riots all over the country.  

Most of the people rioting probably dont even know what happened.  Entire message is lost.
Not really. This is a cumulative response. This should not be evaluated in a vacuum.

Seems like you’re parroting the latest right wing narrative: “one bad apple, no systemic racism”.

A riot isnt a protest, and a protest isnt a riot.  So no
This just isn't close to being a true statement.   Violent protest happens all the time.   The difference is that one is legal in our country and the other isn't.   At some point, the protesters may not care about whether their actions are legal.  Usually it's when they feel that there is no justice.

Not according to my neighbor who is an fbi agent.  I plan on using/abusing this resource when my daughter gets older.

Why haven't the other three been charged?  The police chief admitted they were complicit.   That could go a long way toward making people believe that maybe justice will be served.   
This isn’t about justice anymore. This is about rioting and looting. 

This just isn't close to being a true statement.   Violent protest happens all the time.   The difference is that one is legal in our country and the other isn't.   At some point, the protesters may not care about whether their actions are legal.  Usually it's when they feel that there is no justice.
They don’t care if their actions are legal. I agree. I absolutely do not agree that it’s because they feel there  is no justice. More like they feel there won’t be any justice served upon them for doing the illegal stuff - looting/rioting. 

it’s pathetic really. 

Not really. This is a cumulative response. This should not be evaluated in a vacuum.

Seems like you’re parroting the latest right wing narrative: “one bad apple, no systemic racism”.
Not at all.  But maybe save the rioting for when someone doesnt actually get charged with murder.  

All cops fired, main guy charged with murder.  Other cops probably charged with crimes soon.

More riots after murder charges.  After.  Not before, after.  

Why not riot a month ago?  Or 4 months ago?

Idiot cop charged with murder.  Would the riots stop if they just gave all those cops the chair tomorrow?

Not at all.  But maybe save the rioting for when someone doesnt actually get charged with murder.  
Really? After the howmanyumpteenthtime and 4 days later when it was politically necessary? And when the enablers essentially skated (fired yes, but essentially skated).

Yeah, not buying it. And the obligatory...I don’t advocate for looting and pillaging, though I do understand it.

FBI routinely recruits out of law schools.  I was recruited in 1999.  They told me a history of marijuana use was not a problem.
What I'm reading online is that pot use becoming a disqualifier is greatly decreasing.  Some places still use that policy, many are relaxing to no use in the last 2-3 years.  Based on that, I say my statement is a relic of the past.

Won't link it, but a friend of mine is a cop in Bellevue, WA.  There's video of him being incredibly patient and polite both before and after he pepper sprays a guy in the face.   Guy was refusing to clear an area after curfew and would not comply with reasonable requests.   His own friends posted the video saying he deserved it.

Correction:  report of gunshots in the last 10 minutes; people monitoring police scanners hear authority to switch to live rounds for Seattle PD.

Has anyone ever known a person or family that never gets to go to the Mall or a nice store to buy anything in their lives? You know, poor people. 

One should never excuse people of looting but I would ask people to think back to when the CV-19 started and suddenly the store shelves were LOOTED by many well off folks who bought up EVERYTHING they could and especially the essentials. I was walking around my neighborhood and a man had his garage door open and I could see what looked like an entire aisle of TP from the stores, who needs that much? He had to have a 10 year supply in there minimum. No wonder the stores were empty for the average citizen. 

Wealthy people have been looting this country of countless resources going back almost forever. Then we see mostly poor and disadvantaged people popping off and doing things we don't understand because most of us as adults have rarely gone without. 

Seems like the poor are being used as a punching bag again. The mere fact these riots are happening and the Gov't is blaming it on far Left/Right groups when let's be honest, it's the CITIZENS trying to rise up and once again the government is going to use force and turn this place into a police state. 

Try to think and not allow the TV to just set your emotions. 

visit shannon sharpe's IG page and watch his last few video clips... anywhere from 2-8min long. 

put your "shannon is paid for hot takes" viewpoint aside, cuz this ain't it, chief.

this is a black man in a position of some power and prestige putting it out there without fluff or filler. he makes sense. a lot of sense.

more sense than a white man would like to hear, really.

Has anyone ever known a person or family that never gets to go to the Mall or a nice store to buy anything in their lives? You know, poor people. 

One should never excuse people of looting but I would ask people to think back to when the CV-19 started and suddenly the store shelves were LOOTED by many well off folks who bought up EVERYTHING they could and especially the essentials. I was walking around my neighborhood and a man had his garage door open and I could see what looked like an entire aisle of TP from the stores, who needs that much? He had to have a 10 year supply in there minimum. No wonder the stores were empty for the average citizen. 

Wealthy people have been looting this country of countless resources going back almost forever. Then we see mostly poor and disadvantaged people popping off and doing things we don't understand because most of us as adults have rarely gone without. 

Seems like the poor are being used as a punching bag again. The mere fact these riots are happening and the Gov't is blaming it on far Left/Right groups when let's be honest, it's the CITIZENS trying to rise up and once again the government is going to use force and turn this place into a police state. 

Try to think and not allow the TV to just set your emotions. 
Those "looters" didnt burn buildings or police cars.  They bought items and went home.  They didnt throw a brick through the window on their way out.

Protesting is fine.  Rioting is not ever fine.  However I will say that watching people buy every item on a shelp like the TP, cleaning supplies, and filling a shopping cart with 200 cans to the point it was hard to push made me want to commit some violence.  

Users who are viewing this thread