What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Death Of George Floyd - Sticking To Football... (1 Viewer)

How Ok Is It For Joe To Mention Death Of George Floyd In FBG Email Update?

• Totally OK

Votes: 82 51.6%
  • OK

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • Just Barely OK

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Just Barely Not OK

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Not OK

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Totally Not OK

Votes: 9 5.7%

• Total voters
Otis said:
If the question is really “is it ok?,” I say of course it is. Your service, your email, you can do as you like. 

If the question is whether you should do it, or how it would be perceived, those are different.   If in my Delta Skymiles update emails they started throwing in the CEOs personal views on race relations or these issues, I’d find it weird. Maybe unprofessional?  I can’t imagine sending my clients emails with my personal views on this stuff. It’s a great thing for me to maybe post on my Facebook to my friends and family if I want to. But as a professional message, it’s really not Delta’s place, or my place to tell people how I feel. So I think it depends on what you’re going for. If you intend for this to be perceived as an extended Facebook for you, that’s how it may be perceived. If you intend for it to be professional-level communication, it may seem weird. I’ve met you and know you through here for years, so I’m not offended or anything, and I think it’s fine. But I could hear someone thinking “great, fantasy football guy is now the authority on race relations and telling me what he thinks about it.”  Just like if my barber or Ace Hardware or someone else told me their views.  

In sum: Everyone I know on FB is taking the opportunity to share their views on this (some annoyingly so).  I’ve not received nor sent a professional level communication on it. 

Just my quick thoughts. Somewhat baked at least because I was thinking about this today in the context of my professional twitter feed. But I don’t have the answers on this. 
Delta is going to weigh it being weird vs. needing to say the politically correct thing.  There have been plenty of people/celebrities making statements along the lines of silence or lack or action being perceived as your support of the status quo.  Pretty soon you'll have people boycotting Delta for not making a statement.  Because of this, I'm suspicious of anyone making a statement under their business letterhead.

For those that say "stick to football", I would say there are some things that need to be spoken often and everywhere.  When you shut down people's outlets for discussion then it leads to frustration and will boil over at some point.

For those that say "stick to football", I would say there are some things that need to be spoken often and everywhere.  When you shut down people's outlets for discussion then it leads to frustration and will boil over at some point.
Like Trump being dangerous and incompetent or Biden barely being able to function and being a shill for Wall Street?  Plenty of places to discuss those subjects without needing a FF newsletter wading into it.

Like Trump being dangerous and incompetent or Biden barely being able to function and being a shill for Wall Street?  Plenty of places to discuss those subjects without needing a FF newsletter wading into it.
We'll all have different ideas of what those the "some things" that need to be spoken often and everywhere are I suppose.  I wouldn't put those topics in that category.

it's pretty much at the point where everyone is feeling pressured to "issue a statement"......MSG, etc, getting slammed for not issuing a statement......it's as if if you don't "issue some type of statement" it means you OK with what happened and the way things are....it's a little out of hand.....feel like I need to issue some type of statement to my local media......I don't need FBG to be issuing their "statement" in my daily email......I like that to be football, thats why I signed up for it.....if FBG wants to issue their statement somehow, do it some other way on their site or to the general public and their employees or whatever....just maybe not in a mass  email sent to 455,000 people who signed up for a football email....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread