What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

June challenge - Seven healthy meals per week (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
Lots of people had success in April in the Otis fad diet thread with the 1000 minutes challenge. Some even went up to 2500 or 3000 minutes of activity. 

In May we did the food tracking challenge. People counted calories using myfitnesspal or counted points using weight watchers or itrackbites, and the results were pretty great. Come join us in the thread, we are keeping it going and looking for more people to join us. 

This month is a simple challenge:

7 healthy meals a week. 

Just post them in the thread each week (or better yet, each day) with as much or little information as you want.  I have no criteria for healthy - that's up to you and your goals. Just share what you are eating to stay healthy. If you eat the same thing every day, that's fine. If you're inspired to mix it up, share it with us and maybe we can try your ideas out for ourselves. If people ask for recipes or have questions, please be cool and help out if you can. If you want to share your goals - maybe eating more fiber or getting more vegetables or cutting back on dairy or sugar or just cutting calories- please do, but it's not necessary. This thread is for sharing and keeping yourself accountable and maybe learning from each other too. 

1 c oatmeal, old fashioned

1-2 t cinnamon (as much as you can stand)

1/2 c blueberries (pretty much any whole fruit, diced)

1/2 c cottage cheese, full fat

nuke oatmeal and cinnamon for 3 min w generous 1.5 c water.  Mix in berries and cc and enjoy the benefits now and later!

Today I am grilling some marinated buffalo chicken breasts with homemade fries and broccoli. 

8 oz.chicken 230 calories 

2 cups broccoli 50 calories 

Two small potatoes 220 calories

One teaspoon olive oil 35 calories

Cut ends and side off potatoes to square them off. Cut into 3-4 slices, then turn and cut into 3-4 more.  Soak in cold water for 30 minutes to get the starch out. Remove and allow them to dry for a little while. Pat them dry with a paper towel and lay them on a sheet of aluminum foil, shiny side up. Drizzle one teaspoon of olive oil over them and roll them around until lightly coated. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder or whatever you want. Roll them around again to coat evenly, fold foil tight around them and pinch closed. Put on hot grill (if using an oven, a dark nonstick cookie sheet works too. 

Start grilling the chicken, flip when it is moves easily/is ready to release from grill.  Flip 3 times to make cross haired grill marks on each side or if you use a meat thermometer, even better. Remove to plate and allow to rest. Check fries and flip if any are starting to burn.  Put broccoli in a big bowl with a paper plate on top, microwave for 3:45 on high. Slice chicken like a Hasselbeck potato and add hot sauce if you need it.  Fries should be done and they should be crispy now. 

535 calories (plus any sauces, ketchup, etc if used).

Kachava shake, today added a banana and some spinach.  Like a supermeal.  That was breakfast and lunch.

Here is my menu for the day:

Breakfast: Avocado toast + half handful of cashews

• 1 slice whole grain break
  • 1/4 avocado, mashed
  • 1 vine ripe tomato sliced on top
  • small pinch of salt and pepper
Lunch: Curry chickpeas over curried cauliflower rice

• 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 1 can tomato sauce (no sugar added)
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger
  • about 0.5tsp cumin, curry powder, and coriander (I eyeball them and taste until I like it)
  • pinch of salt
  • combine in a saucepan and simmer until  flavors meld together
  • For cauliflower rice I just heat riced cauliflower in a skillet, adding splashes of vegetable broth to keep it from sticking.  Season with curry powder and salt and the juice of a lime (I do about 1lb of cauliflower)
  • Top cauliflower with chickpeas and top it all with a healthy dose of fresh cilantro
Dinner: Kale Pesto with Whole Wheat Pasta

• I'm using baby kale from my gardenbed.
  • Combine kale or any other green/herb, garlic (lots), nut of choice (I'm using cashews), healthy dose of nutritional yeast (good parmesan substitute), and pulse all ingredients in food processor
  • Cook pasta
  • When pasta is almost done cooking, take a decent amount of the pasta water
  • Add pasta water to food processor mixture and combine until it forms a loose paste
  • Combine with pasta when it's done cooking.  I'm adding fresh chopped tomatoes and roasted zucchini and combining 

Every morning I have a half cup of steel cut oats(no salt added), tablespoon of almond butter, and half cup of raisins.

Lunch is half/half spring mix/kale with flax and chai seed, omega 3 mix(pumpkin seeds, walnuts, etc.). Dressing is balsamic vinigar, dijon mustard, some herbs, and pepper.

I put myself on a diet following the book "The End of Heart Disease" by Dr. Joel Furhmann. The story a few months ago by another FBG rushing to the hospital and having a stint put in scared me.

• 1/4 avocado, mashed
Lunch: Curry chickpeas over curried cauliflower rice

• 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 1 can tomato sauce (no sugar added)
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger
  • about 0.5tsp cumin, curry powder, and coriander (I eyeball them and taste until I like it)
  • pinch of salt
  • combine in a saucepan and simmer until  flavors meld together
  • For cauliflower rice I just heat riced cauliflower in a skillet, adding splashes of vegetable broth to keep it from sticking.  Season with curry powder and salt and the juice of a lime (I do about 1lb of cauliflower)
  • Top cauliflower with chickpeas and top it all with a healthy dose of fresh cilantro
Dinner: Kale Pesto with Whole Wheat Pasta

• I'm using baby kale from my gardenbed.
  • Combine kale or any other green/herb, garlic (lots), nut of choice (I'm using cashews), healthy dose of nutritional yeast (good parmesan substitute), and pulse all ingredients in food processor
  • Cook pasta
  • When pasta is almost done cooking, take a decent amount of the pasta water
  • Add pasta water to food processor mixture and combine until it forms a loose paste
  • Combine with pasta when it's done cooking.  I'm adding fresh chopped tomatoes and roasted zucchini and combining 
This sounds ####### horrible but I am glad you like it 

Every morning I have a half cup of steel cut oats(no salt added), tablespoon of almond butter, and half cup of raisins.

Lunch is half/half spring mix/kale with flax and chai seed, omega 3 mix(pumpkin seeds, walnuts, etc.). Dressing is balsamic vinigar, dijon mustard, some herbs, and pepper.

I put myself on a diet following the book "The End of Heart Disease" by Dr. Joel Furhmann. The story a few months ago by another FBG rushing to the hospital and having a stint put in scared me.
Sounds like we are doing pretty similar things. Looking forward to seeing more

1 c oatmeal, old fashioned

1-2 t cinnamon (as much as you can stand)

1/2 c blueberries (pretty much any whole fruit, diced)

1/2 c cottage cheese, full fat

nuke oatmeal and cinnamon for 3 min w generous 1.5 c water.  Mix in berries and cc and enjoy the benefits now and later!
I've never even considered the possibility of mixing cottage cheese with oatmeal.  #Subscribe

• 1/4 avocado, mashed
#1 Fan of Avocado Toast is likely to be my next alias.  I include a squeezed lime and onion powder with the salt and pepper.  

How do you cook your steel cut oats?  I've tried in the microwave but never have good luck.  

Have done them in the past in the crock pot.

Made fish tacos last night.  Barramundi with no salt blackened seasoning cooking in a pan with some olive oil.  (Dak's no salt blackened seasoning, available on Amazon.)

Made some Cilantro Lime Cole Slaw to top it.  Used this recipe.  The slaw was amazing.  

By my estimation, 3 fish tacos with white corn street tortillas, slaw, and half an avocado was under 500 calories and very filling.  

This was my first time making that slaw, but it will not be the last.  Plan to have it as a side with burgers tonight.  It is so good.  

Poke_4_Life said:
How do you cook your steel cut oats?  I've tried in the microwave but never have good luck.  

I do mine in the pressure cooker

Breakfast today:

Kids wanted peanut butter toast, and I wanted oatmeal, so I have these on hand.  I added a TB of chia seeds, a TB of date puree, and a tsp of cinnamon.

I had maybe a half cup of raspberries on the side.

Lunch:

Whole grain brown rice ramen noodles tossed in a mix of Sichuan peppercorn powder, chinese black vinegar, tahini, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.  Topped with sliced green onion, sesame seeds and sliced snow peas and served over a bed of green leaf lettuce and kale from my garden. 

Poke_4_Life said:

I boil one cup of water, then add 1/4 cup of oats.  Turn down heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.

Ok so this doesn't sound healthy but bear with me. 

I just destroyed a huge thing of goldfish crackers.  

Like literally ate 50 of them. 

And they were the Flavor Blasted goldfish. 

@Otis this is perfect for your bud light select, chicken nuggets and a white wine spritzer palate. 

140 calories per serving. 

51 crackers in a serving.

If you're dying for something crunchy or something you can pick at absent mindedly while you have a beer, you could do worse than pouring a can of Guinness and a bowl of goldfish for 265 calories. Not every day obviously or your poops will turn orange. But it's a nice low calorie snack.

Ok so this doesn't sound healthy but bear with me. 

I just destroyed a huge thing of goldfish crackers.  

Like literally ate 50 of them. 

And they were the Flavor Blasted goldfish. 

@Otis this is perfect for your bud light select, chicken nuggets and a white wine spritzer palate. 

140 calories per serving. 

51 crackers in a serving.

If you're dying for something crunchy or something you can pick at absent mindedly while you have a beer, you could do worse than pouring a can of Guinness and a bowl of goldfish for 265 calories. Not every day obviously or your poops will turn orange. But it's a nice low calorie snack.
I have small children in the house. We have more goldfish here than water and air. Great stuff. 

In.

This will be easy for me, as I am married to a fantastic woman. She loves to cook. From scratch. Her dad, called her a pilgrim woman. 

Today’s dinner was half a piece of cooked bacon, and cup of pinto beans, blended. They were blended with plenty of seasoning and a bit of mozzarella . Then heated.   I can not tell you how good, these simple beans were. Grilled chicken breast. Onion, jalapeño  cheap, fantastic, “el pato” hot sauce.    Very low in calories and delicious. 

Texas Caviar

1 can chick peas

1 can white hominy

1 can black eyed peas (any bean works great)

Diced tomatoes (about a can's worth)

Diced green pepper (again, about a can's worth)

3/4 cup Italian Dressing (preferrably half a batch of Homemade, below)

Rinse the canned veg in a colander, dice tomatoes and peppers, and combine in a bowl.  I like 2-3 Roma and 1-2 green peppers.  Mix in Italian dressing and refrigerate in an easy access container.  Good party food with tostitos or fritos scoops but I've repurposed to a handy vegetable side and eat straight with a spoon.  Takes jalapeno well and some like to include onion but I usually skip em.  

Homemade Italian Dressing

Herb mix (worth doubling, imo, but here's what I have typed)

* 1 tablespoon garlic salt
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 tablespoon white sugar
* 2 tablespoons dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 tablespoon dried parsley
* 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
* 2 tablespoons salt

Dressing

Mix 2 T Herb Mix, 2 T water, 1/4 c apple cider vinegar, 2/3 c "good" oil, either nice EVOO or avocado or whatevs, in a ball jar and shake to combine.  

I got these noodles called “healthy noodles” at Costco. They are 25 calories per serving with two servings per bag. I got them at the start of my journey, but wouldn’t buy something so heavily processed now. They’re awful. Flavorless and mushy. That said I’m not going to let them go to waste.

i made a sauce of 1tsp peanut butter, 1/2tsp red miso paste, 1/2tsp soy sauce, 2tsp fresh grated ginger, 1/2tsp lime juice and maybe 1TB sriracha.  I didn’t actually measure. 

i sautéed the noodles for a few minutes with a splash of veggie broth then added a julienne-cut carrot and the sauce, tossed to combine, heated another minute and served with 2 chopped green onions, a drizzle of lime juice, another drizzle of sriracha, and some fresh cilantro  

Probably the limit of the sodium I should consume in a meal, but it tasted really good despite the noodles being trash. The calories probably didn’t top 100 for a satisfying dish. 

Taco/burrito salad bowls for dinner

Kale/romaine mix drizzled with lime juice as the base

Made fresh pico de gallo (7 tomatoes, 1 white onion, 3 jalapeños, a handful of cilantro and pinch of salt)

I made a batch of 3C brown rice with a can of el pato added to the water before cooking

pressure cooker refried beans (2C dried pinto beans, 7C water, 1tsp salt, 1 onion). Cook at pressure for 45 min and release pressure naturally, remove liquid, but save and pulse with blender until desired consistency, adding some cooking liquid back if you like them thinner  

Combine some brown rice, beans and pico with the greens, top with avocado and enjoy. Delicious, fresh and filling

Made fish tacos last night.  Barramundi with no salt blackened seasoning cooking in a pan with some olive oil.  (Dak's no salt blackened seasoning, available on Amazon.)

Made some Cilantro Lime Cole Slaw to top it.  Used this recipe.  The slaw was amazing.  

By my estimation, 3 fish tacos with white corn street tortillas, slaw, and half an avocado was under 500 calories and very filling.  

This was my first time making that slaw, but it will not be the last.  Plan to have it as a side with burgers tonight.  It is so good.  
Never had barramundi.. light and flakey?  Like orange roughy?

Havent checked in in a few days but had a few good meals

Yogurt with berries today 

Made Chicken soft tacos this weekend

Eggs with black beans and salsa 

Berries and pure protein smoothie

We did fish tacos with a cauliflower Mexican rice the other night that was fantastic. I'll try and get the recipes to post here. 

For the people eating chicken all the time look for this brand.

Bare Chicken Breast Filets.

I eat chicken 3-4 times a week and was getting tired of tough, basically lousy tasting breast meat. These are the best I have had and taste like restaurant quality and are very versatile.   I bought mine at Gordon food Supply store. They are 6.99 for 24oz and well worth it.  Ready to give their other products a try too.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the people eating chicken all the time look for this brand.

Bare Chicken Breast Filets.

I eat chicken 3-4 times a week and was getting tired of tough, basically lousy tasting breast meat. These are the best I have had and taste like restaurant quality and are very versatile.   I bought mine at Gordon food Supply store. They are 6.99 for 24oz and well worth it.  Ready to give their other products a try too.
I have good luck with the Sprouts brand chicken breasts and cutlets.  Seems like every week one of them is on sale.  We go through at least 3lb/week.

Users who are viewing this thread