What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justyn Ross, KC (1 Viewer)

Awful news for him.  But seriously, how in the world are they just finding out about this at 20 years old?  This seems like it needs to be part of standard screening procedures in the year 2020.

Rough for his devy owners and of course more importantly, real-world rough for him. Having your future in doubt when just days earlier you had to just KNOW you were at least gonna get a good chance at an NFL career and paycheck has to be enough to shatter your world in the short term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible news.  Not that he's had a chance to declare, but hopefully other athletes are paying attention and put even more weight on injury when making their decisions on how long to stay in school.  

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross (neck) is returning to school in 2021.

Ross (6'4/203)  underwent surgery in early June, and in about two weeks' time he was already doing pool workouts. The junior wideout is shooting for a spring practice return date and by all accounts appears to be on schedule to meet that goal. In two years Ross has amassed 112 receptions, 1,865 yards, 16.7 YPC and 17 touchdowns. The star wideout will serve as the top target for Clemson's new starting quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei.

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross (neck) is returning to school in 2021.

Ross (6'4/203)  underwent surgery in early June, and in about two weeks' time he was already doing pool workouts. The junior wideout is shooting for a spring practice return date and by all accounts appears to be on schedule to meet that goal. In two years Ross has amassed 112 receptions, 1,865 yards, 16.7 YPC and 17 touchdowns. The star wideout will serve as the top target for Clemson's new starting quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei.
Damnit for me! Good for him though. He can recoup some value, and if he returns to form he's immediately THE top WR in 2022. 

I was hoping to steal him in the 2nd/3rd of rookie drafts this year. 

Damnit for me! Good for him though. He can recoup some value, and if he returns to form he's immediately THE top WR in 2022. 

I was hoping to steal him in the 2nd/3rd of rookie drafts this year. 
Yeah, with only later picks this year I was hoping he'd come out, but it 100% makes sense for him to go back and return to top form (assuming he can). 

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross (neck) is not expected to take contact in spring practice.

While the Tigers expect Ross to participate throughout the spring, they're understandably playing matters cautiously when it comes to their young star receiver. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound junior missed the entirety of the 2020 campaign after undergoing neck surgery last offseason. By all accounts, Ross' recovery has yet to hit any sort of setback, but we'll continue to monitor his progress through the spring and summer as the wideout looks to enter August camp at full health. Prior to his injury-forced absence this past fall, Ross had recorded a combined 112-1865-17 receiving line across his first two collegiate seasons.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 24, 2021, 12:40 PM ET

Clemson HC Dabo Swinney said on Monday that redshirt junior WR Justyn Ross will transition to the slot position ahead of the fall. 

Ross (6'4/205) will be limited this spring, as he is still working his way back after missing all of the 2020 season due to a neck injury. Normally programs tend to use smaller receivers on the inside, but that won't be the case for Clemson if Ross can successfully make the transition to the slot role. An honorable mention all-ACC selection in 2019, the redshirt junior caught 66 passes for 586 yards and eight touchdowns in 14 starts. 

SOURCE: Anna Hickey on TwitterR

Mar 1, 2021, 6:49 PM ET

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

BIG news on the NFL draft front. Ross looked like an elite WR prospect earlier in his career. Excited to see how he bounces back from last year's neck injury.
-----------------------------------------------
Grace Raynor@gmraynor
 · 19h
Just in from Dabo Swinney: Justyn Ross has been cleared.

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross caught eight passes for 77 yards and two touchdowns in a 27-21 loss to NC State. 

Ross (6'4/205) had his best game since returning from a season-long neck injury, catching the opening 32-yard touchdown strike of the game to cap a brisk five-play, 80-yard drive that lasted just 1:33 of game time. The junior wideout also reeled in a nine-yard touchdown on a crossing route to put Clemson on the board first in overtime. However with Clemson down six points in double-overtime, Ross failed to secure a catch in the back right corner of the end zone. Even so, it was still a nice showing for the potential early round NFL Draft selection since nobody else in the Clemson wide receiver corps seemed capable of making a play. 

Sep 25, 2021, 9:16 PM ET

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross (left leg) was taken to the locker room during the first quarter of Saturday's game against UConn. 

Clemson entered Saturday's game with a lot of injuries on the offensive side of the football, and Ross (6'4/205) can be added to the list. The junior wide receiver, who took some time to get going this season after missing all of 2020 following neck surgery, was injured on a first quarter reception. We'll have an update on Ross' status for the remainder of the game once that information is made available. 

SOURCE: David Hood on Twitter

Nov 13, 2021, 12:32 PM ET

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross (left lower leg) has been ruled out for the remainder of Saturday's game against UConn. 

After being taken to the locker room during the first quarter, Ross (6'4/205) returned to the sideline just before halftime out of uniform, and with his left foot in a boot. The junior wide receiver was also moving with the aid of a pair of crutches, so this could be a long-term injury. The Tigers have been hit hard by injuries on the offensive side of the football, which could prove problematic for the stretch run. 

SOURCE: Marc Whiteman on Twitter

Nov 13, 2021, 1:26 PM ET

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross (foot) has been playing through a stress fracture in his foot.

Ross (6'4/205) left Saturday's 44-7 win over UConn and later came to the sidelines in a walking boot and crutches. Head coach Dabo Swiney indicated on Sunday that Ross has been playing through a stress fracture in his foot for the entire season. Ross felt like he tweaked the injury and that's why he was removed from the game. As of now, there is no answer on whether or not he'll miss time until he gets the foot evaluated on Monday. It's been a rough couple of years for Ross. After catching for 1,000 yards in 2018, it's been downhill. He missed all of 2020 after having neck surgery and now we know why his production has been down this season. We'll have to monitor his situation, even if he is not completely healthy, having him on the field would be a big help as Clemson (7-3, ACC 5-2) prepares for what could be an offensive battle against Wake Forest.

SOURCE: Grace Raynor

Nov 14, 2021, 6:51 PM ET

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross (foot) will miss Saturday's game against Wake Forest.

Ross (6'4/205)  left Saturday's 44-7 win over UConn and later came to the sidelines in a walking boot and crutches. Head coach Dabo Swiney indicated on Sunday that Ross has been playing through a stress fracture in his foot for the entire season. Ross felt like he tweaked the injury and that's why he was removed from the game. It's now being reported that he will miss at least this Saturday and likely the following week against South Carolina since he will "probably" have surgery this Thursday. 

SOURCE: Grace Raynor on Twitter

Nov 16, 2021, 4:13 PM ET

Clemson junior WR Justyn Ross (foot) will not return for Clemson's bowl game against Iowa State. 

Ross (6'4/205) finishes his season with 46 receptions for 514 yards and two touchdowns, a steep drop-off from the 864 yards he posted in 2019, and an even steeper drop off from the 1,000 yards he posted as a freshman in 2018. He dealt with a very serious neck injury last year but returned to play this season despite dealing with a foot injury that required surgery in November and will ultimately knock him out of the Cheez-It-Bowl. When Ross initially had the surgery, HC Dabo Swinney said he wasn't sure if Ross will play in the bowl, but said he will be ready for the NFL Scouting Combine, which seems to indicate Ross will be moving on next season. 

SOURCE: Grace Raynor on Twitter

Dec 14, 2021, 6:25 PM ET

Top 10 talent his Freshman season, injuries mostly the last few years have derailed him but if you believe in his abilities, I think he's one of the more interesting mysteries at WR coming out of the Draft, won't surprise me if he is taken earlier than some expect or well after his expected projection. 

I'm sure teams have looked into his medical records and asked for updates and where he is on the spectrum of healthy/still injured. 

Top 10 talent his Freshman season, injuries mostly the last few years have derailed him but if you believe in his abilities, I think he's one of the more interesting mysteries at WR coming out of the Draft, won't surprise me if he is taken earlier than some expect or well after his expected projection. 

I'm sure teams have looked into his medical records and asked for updates and where he is on the spectrum of healthy/still injured. 
This year's class has many tall WRs, Burks, Watson, Pickens, Tolbert, and Ross. It would be tempting for a team in the 3rd round, maybe a team with multiple comp picks.

His injury threatened his career.  He had a congenital fusion in his spine that was discovered in March of 2020 that needed surgery, and it was unknown if he'd ever play again.  Sounds dicey to me.

His injury threatened his career.  He had a congenital fusion in his spine that was discovered in March of 2020 that needed surgery, and it was unknown if he'd ever play again.  Sounds dicey to me.
Has there been an update in the last 2 years? I get what your saying, but is it possible we don't know enough? I don't know his doctors, not a part of the man's inner circle or family...I guess I'm saying you sound awfully sure of your info from 2 years ago. I'd like to hear more or find out more. 

-He did play last year, maybe he was still on the mend. 46/600/3, nothing that jumped out but Clemson didn't exactly have a great year by their standards. 

Has there been an update in the last 2 years? I get what your saying, but is it possible we don't know enough? I don't know his doctors, not a part of the man's inner circle or family...I guess I'm saying you sound awfully sure of your info from 2 years ago. I'd like to hear more or find out more. 

-He did play last year, maybe he was still on the mend. 46/600/3, nothing that jumped out but Clemson didn't exactly have a great year by their standards. 
Obviously he is playing, but still sounds risky to me.  For him and his fantasy owners.

ESPN's Jordan Reid projects Clemson WR Justyn Ross as a fourth-rounder and believes he's a fit with Jacksonville.

How could would it be to see Ross reunite with Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne in Duval? Ross appeared to be a future first-rounder his first two years on campus, posting 46-1000-9 and 66-865-8 receiving lines as one of Lawrence's favorite targets. After that, one misfortune after another. In Spring 2000, Ross took a hit in practice that required a doctor trip. At it, he learned he had Klippel-Feil syndrome, a congenital fusion in his spine. Ross missed the following season after undergoing back surgery in June 2020. Last August, as he was preparing for his return, Ross tested positive for COVID-19 and lost 15 pounds. He wasn't anywhere near 100-percent when the campaign started and saw limited snaps. Then in November, Ross suffered a stress fracture in his left foot that he played through before opting out of the bowl. He's back training now and ran a 4.63 40-yard dash at Clemson's pro day. We agree with Reid's Round 4 assessment, but also think there's a shot Ross could sneak into the end of Round 3.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 11, 2022, 4:58 P

Something to keep in mind when discussing Justyn Ross.

Adam Carter@SmartfootbalI

Highest percentage of uncatchable passes thrown in the intermediate area of the field among all power 5 QBs..

1. DJ Uiagalelei, 46.2%

2. Payton Thorne, 44.6%

3. Jayden Daniels, 43.9%

4. Connor Bazelak, 42.5%

Something to keep in mind when discussing Justyn Ross.

Adam Carter@SmartfootbalI

Highest percentage of uncatchable passes thrown in the intermediate area of the field among all power 5 QBs..

1. DJ Uiagalelei, 46.2%

2. Payton Thorne, 44.6%

3. Jayden Daniels, 43.9%

4. Connor Bazelak, 42.5%
And I heard Ross played with injured foot throughout 2021 season.  Combination of bad throw and lingering injury brought down his value down.  I think he can be asset to the team, providing with the right environment. 

Is the neck an ongoing issue? I didn't think it was, but haven't followed closely.
 He had a congenital fusion in his spine that was discovered in March of 2020 that needed surgery, and it was unknown if he'd ever play again.  Sounds dicey to me, but he did play in 2021 and had 46 receptions for 500+ yards and 3 scores.  I would think someone would throw the dice in the 7th by now.

If Ross is smart, he signs with one of WR-needy teams such as Green Bay Packers or Chicago Bears.
1000%.  I don't know why every ufda WR with a draft grade who isn't getting any guaranteed contract offers isn't calling those teams and asking for a tryout.

Browns have to be in-play with a top QB and need of another WR.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justyn Ross@_jross8

Just need dat 1 chance

-------------------------------------

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

Justyn Ross is a perfect example of why I think it’s an odd practice to take players “off the board.” No way his upside is not worth a shot in the 6-7th round, despite the medical concerns. NFL teams are especially scared off by atypical/congenital issues like Ross’ neck.

------

Former first-round prospect Justyn Ross goes undrafted, hopes for one chance

Clemson wide receiver Justyn Ross would have been a first-round draft pick in 2019, if the NFL would allow freshmen to declare for the draft...

They saying this neck thing is no joke, like he gets hit wrong he can be paralyzed or die. 

The NFL is telling him to get into coaching. 

I am uncertain exactly how alike the two injuries and surgeries were, but both Justyn Ross and Sterling Sharpe required surgery to fuse together two vertebrae in their necks.  That ended Sharpe's career.   It speaks volumes that no NFL team was willing to draft Ross.

I am uncertain exactly how alike the two injuries and surgeries were, but both Justyn Ross and Sterling Sharpe required surgery to fuse together two vertebrae in their necks.  That ended Sharpe's career.   It speaks volumes that no NFL team was willing to draft Ross.
You would think someone would take a look at him as a UDFA.  Is there liability involved here?  Perhaps no team wants to take on that liability if it exists.

I don't want to own, coach, or be a fan of the team that has a WR die on the field. 

Users who are viewing this thread