What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daily Plead To Be More Cool To Each Other 6.2.20 (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Daily plead to be please be more cool to each other. 

It's a sad time for lots of people. It is for me.

We can't control a ton of this which makes it so frustrating.

What we can do is control what we write and how we talk to each other.

Please drop the condescending / snarky / mean / insensitive trolling. 

And you know it's trolling. When you call the other side stupid. Or when you call the politician you don't like the insulting name, that's trolling. 

Stop it.

If people can't control their writing. They simply won't be allowed to post here. I've asked the moderators to do what they can. I'm sure that will be unpopular and will be considered unfair. And it'll be just one more thing I'm bummed about. But for now, I'd rather have people dislike us over a suspension than to close the forum. 

Please help us. 

Joe, I agree 100%.  Most that is posted here is trolling unfortunately.  This forum would probably be best served if no conservatives posted here, which are few in numbers.  That way everyone can think the same thing and there would be harmony and bliss.  I believe that is what is wanted anyway. 

Daily plead to be please be more cool to each other. 

It's a sad time for lots of people. It is for me.

We can't control a ton of this which makes it so frustrating.

What we can do is control what we write and how we talk to each other.

Please drop the condescending / snarky / mean / insensitive trolling. 

And you know it's trolling. When you call the other side stupid. Or when you call the politician you don't like the insulting name, that's trolling. 

Stop it.

If people can't control their writing. They simply won't be allowed to post here. I've asked the moderators to do what they can. I'm sure that will be unpopular and will be considered unfair. And it'll be just one more thing I'm bummed about. But for now, I'd rather have people dislike us over a suspension than to close the forum. 

Please help us. 
The burden of leadership in bold

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly please just quickly lock this and pin it for a week. Don’t let it be a grievance/moderation thread. 
Part of the problem is that they are some that only post tweets not for actual information but because they know will get a rise and response from others.  The reality of Twitter is you look you will find whatever you want to support whatever you believe in.  No need to constantly post tweets from obscure people just to fire people up and then argue about it.

The burden of leadership in bold
It's all part of the deal. Nobody makes me host this forum. I do it because I want to. There are good things and not so good things that come with it. I'm trying to hold down the not so good things as much as we can. 

And side note - I don't have a notebook but you're one of the handful of Trump supporters right? One of the biggest problems on our board is we have such a lop sided representation of the country. President Trump's approval ratings for the country are in the 40% range. It's 15% here. This is definitely a bubble. But it is what it is. And like most bubbles, the majority in it say they aren't. Whatever. 

Where this applies to you though and your handful of likeminded friends is this. You guys have to play by the same rules as the majority here. You don't get "endangered species" status. I fully get a suspension for one of you guys is dramatically more impactful than a suspension for a Non Trump guy when it comes to the overall group.

And that's probably not fair either. But it is what it is. 

Does it mean you have to be more careful in not being baited into responding with something that will get you both a suspension? Yes. Again, probably not fair. But we're not going to have two sets of rules there.

The moderators don't see a trolling post by a Trump supporter and think, "Yeah, that's bad, but there are only a handful of Trump guys and suspending one of them is 10x more impactful from a percentage angle than suspending one of the many Non Trump guys" 

Please help us. 

Honestly please just quickly lock this and pin it for a week. Don’t let it be a grievance/moderation thread. 
And yes. Please don't turn this into a "whine about the moderation" thread. I'm pretty well past that for today already. 

I may just make a new thread each day. We'll see.

Bottom line, everyone please be more cool to each other. 

Da Guru said:
Part of the problem is that they are some that only post tweets not for actual information but because they know will get a rise and response from others.  The reality of Twitter is you look you will find whatever you want to support whatever you believe in.  No need to constantly post tweets from obscure people just to fire people up and then argue about it.
:goodposting:

JohnnyU said:
Joe, I agree 100%.  Most that is posted here is trolling unfortunately.  This forum would probably be best served if no conservatives posted here, which are few in numbers.  That way everyone can think the same thing and there would be harmony and bliss.  I believe that is what is wanted anyway. 
I think you are probably right and it’s the direction things seem to be trending. You had one Liberal poster openly calling others racist for the use of a word that’s definition was clearly not racist with no consequences while a Trump supporter got a month for a statement about rioters breaking the law. While no one will say it, your post seems it unfortunately could be true. 

Disappointing as someone that’s been a paying customer for over a decade and enjoys much of the other content. Just my honest opinion, not intending to break any rules. 

More importantly hopefully our country pulls through these sad times. 

JohnnyU said:
I think you’re right but by the law of unintended consequences the problem  would spill over into the ffa

This is the problem with social media. Snarky comments which sound cool, but add no substance, all to gather that sweet sweet internet clout and get all TeH "Likes"
But it all does start at the top. What kind of "leader" posts the exact type of stuff Joe is asking us not to on Twitter?

But it all does start at the top. What kind of "leader" posts the exact type of stuff Joe is asking us not to on Twitter?
I do think this is a fascinating area.

By virtually any measure the world uses to measure success, President Trump is a zillion times more "successful" than I am. And he operates in public forums very differently than I do. So I'd be dumb to say his style doesn't work. 

It's just not the way I choose to operate. And with this board, I've chosen to create a place where others can have community and require that we mostly operate in a way very different than the President does.

He'd probably say my way is wrong. It's certainly not as successful by the worlds standards as his way. 

But I'm ok with my way. 

It's all part of the deal. Nobody makes me host this forum. I do it because I want to. There are good things and not so good things that come with it. I'm trying to hold down the not so good things as much as we can. 

And side note - I don't have a notebook but you're one of the handful of Trump supporters right? One of the biggest problems on our board is we have such a lop sided representation of the country. President Trump's approval ratings for the country are in the 40% range. It's 15% here. This is definitely a bubble. But it is what it is. And like most bubbles, the majority in it say they aren't. Whatever. 

Where this applies to you though and your handful of likeminded friends is this. You guys have to play by the same rules as the majority here. You don't get "endangered species" status. I fully get a suspension for one of you guys is dramatically more impactful than a suspension for a Non Trump guy when it comes to the overall group.

And that's probably not fair either. But it is what it is. 

Does it mean you have to be more careful in not being baited into responding with something that will get you both a suspension? Yes. Again, probably not fair. But we're not going to have two sets of rules there.

The moderators don't see a trolling post by a Trump supporter and think, "Yeah, that's bad, but there are only a handful of Trump guys and suspending one of them is 10x more impactful from a percentage angle than suspending one of the many Non Trump guys" 

Please help us. 
Interesting that you think a suspension of a poster has any impact on the boards at all.  And also that it's only 15% Trump supporters.  You very well could be right and certainly know better than me but I wouldn't have picked a number that low if I was asked.

Interesting that you think a suspension of a poster has any impact on the boards at all.  And also that it's only 15% Trump supporters.  You very well could be right and certainly know better than me but I wouldn't have picked a number that low if I was asked.
Pretty sure @Maurile Tremblay set up a survey awhile back and the results were in that range.

When you have a predominantly one sided forum where people discuss politics, one of the main things which happens is posters with opposing view points get quoted multiple times on the same post, often times with the same sort of response. I understand if posts are flying around, and two people quote at relatively the same time, this can happen. However, if you read a post with which you disagree, and someone has already quoted it and asked the same, only slightly different question from your own, there's no need to ask your slightly different question 10-20 minutes later. People with dissenting opinions shouldn't always feel overwhelmed by trying to fight off multiple posters all of the time, and it's usually the same, repeat offenders doing this. If you're in the majority, just take the time to read the rest of the thread to see if someone already questioned a post, and really ask yourself if you're asking a different question or just trying to score a point by making a similar comment. There's a reason more conservative voices left this forum, and while I feel like I'm a more moderate conservative, I don't post here for this very reason even though I read this forum to try to understand more liberal viewpoints.

15% is probably on the high side. 

And what I'm saying is a suspension of one of the minority 15% is more impactful than a suspension of one of the 85% majority just because there are so many fewer Trump supporters. 

Joe Bryant said:
15% is probably on the high side. 

And what I'm saying is a suspension of one of the minority 15% is more impactful than a suspension of one of the 85% majority just because there are so many fewer Trump supporters. 
That’s surprising and quite an anomaly. Would be interested in hearing any thoughts on the reason for that (either from you or others) if you have any and you’d be willing to share.

That’s surprising and quite an anomaly. Would be interested in hearing any thoughts on the reason for that (either from you or others) if you have any and you’d be willing to share.
I'm surprised you're surprised. Reading over the forum, I'd think it's super clear it's 85%+ Anti Trump. Which is not to say it's 85% Democrat.

I'm pretty certain the reason it'll stay this way is simply just numbers. It's how majority and minorities work. I have thoughtful conservative friends who voted for Trump who look at the forum and just laugh when I ask if they would post. I would never post on this forum if I were a Trump supporter. The same reason I would not post on an Eagles Forum if I were a Cowboys fan. It's just not worth the argument. 

I'm sure there are plenty of boards that are the opposite of ours. An Anti Trump supporter there would have the same problem on a board that is 85% Pro Trump as the Pro Trump guys do here

I don't know there's any real answer. The handful of Trump supporters we have are people who by definition, don't mind being the minority under dog. 

I'm certain we suffer as a forum from the lack of diversity and being in a bubble. I just don't know what to do about it and have given up trying to change it. 

I'm surprised you're surprised. Reading over the forum, I'd think it's super clear it's 85%+ Anti Trump. Which is not to say it's 85% Democrat.

I'm pretty certain the reason it'll stay this way is simply just numbers. It's how majority and minorities work. I have thoughtful conservative friends who voted for Trump who look at the forum and just laugh when I ask if they would post. I would never post on this forum if I were a Trump supporter. The same reason I would not post on an Eagles Forum if I were a Cowboys fan. It's just not worth the argument. 

I'm sure there are plenty of boards that are the opposite of ours. An Anti Trump supporter there would have the same problem on a board that is 85% Pro Trump as the Pro Trump guys do here

I don't know there's any real answer. The handful of Trump supporters we have are people who by definition, don't mind being the minority under dog. 

I'm certain we suffer as a forum from the lack of diversity and being in a bubble. I just don't know what to do about it and have given up trying to change it. 
There are...and it gets ugly...very ugly.

Moderation is also a bit different and that is all I will say.

I've been a Lurker on these boards for 15 years....  and I am a conservative.  (I don't particularly care for Trump, but I vote republican in most elections).  This board leans extremely left on pretty much all issues, and while I respect the opinions of most of the people posting I have no interest in getting into arguments on this stuff.  We tend to be a lot quieter in general on this kind of stuff.  I suspect there are a LOT more of us out there than people realize, but we just don't want to get involved in the bickering and don't feel like being attacked.  

I don't think it's an outlandish opinion to have that the board has moved leftward over the past two decades or so. What's interesting to discuss is "why?"

I don’t think it’s that hard to understand, this message board has been a safe area for some far left theories, deep into the Russia stuff and very negative/hateful threads towards POTUS. When that’s allowed those that look for that will flock to it, especially when staff also gets involved and is on one extreme side of it all. 

I’m definitely not here for my agreement w the political views, but have been a paying customer for over a decade and enjoy a lot of FFA although I don’t agree with the handling of PSF. That said, it’s not my business and totally respect business owners ability to run things how they want and appreciate the great football info. 

I've been a Lurker on these boards for 15 years....  and I am a conservative.  (I don't particularly care for Trump, but I vote republican in most elections).  This board leans extremely left on pretty much all issues, and while I respect the opinions of most of the people posting I have no interest in getting into arguments on this stuff.  We tend to be a lot quieter in general on this kind of stuff.  I suspect there are a LOT more of us out there than people realize, but we just don't want to get involved in the bickering and don't feel like being attacked.  
The silent trump vote is going to swing the 2020 election again. 

Plenty of conservative voices dont think it's worth the social shunning by the tolerant liberal left to currently express themselves. 

Thank you for posting.

Yes there are silent conservatives out there. There are also silent liberals out there. There are silent people who are going to vote for Donald Trump, and there are silent people who are going to vote against him. 
It’s very rare that there are enough of these folks to make a difference. That was not the case in 2016. In that year, despite revisionist history, polling was ultimately extremely accurate. Polls can generally be trusted. 

Joe makes a thread to remind people to be extra cool during bad times and it takes less than 2 days and people already start airing grievances, and blaming the other side or sticking up for their side. Sad to say, but it might be time to pull the plug on PSF. 

Nailed it. 

100%. I think any conservative poster would feel exactly like this @Amonra   And I know the average person in the 85% thinks this isn't true. I know a ton of Conservatives and I know they would feel exactly like you here. 

Yes there are silent conservatives out there. There are also silent liberals out there. There are silent people who are going to vote for Donald Trump, and there are silent people who are going to vote against him. 
It’s very rare that there are enough of these folks to make a difference. That was not the case in 2016. In that year, despite revisionist history, polling was ultimately extremely accurate. Polls can generally be trusted. 
That has little to do with Amonra's point. It's fine though. That's part of the point. And it's why he doesn't post. I totally get it. 

That has little to do with Amonra's point. It's fine though. That's part of the point. And it's why he doesn't post. I totally get it. 
I wasn’t responding to Amonra. My post was in direct response to Max Power. You’re correct it had little to do with Amonra’s point. It had everything to do with Max Power’s point which is that there are enough people like Amonra to swing the election. I disagreed with that point and explained why.

So why do you think betting sites have trump slightly favored while the majority of polls have Biden up big?

As for Amonra’s point: I agree that this forum is largely to the left now. I didn’t acknowledge that before but now I do. A lot of conservative types have left. Whether they have done so because they have been chased out by liberals, or because they feel alienated by Donald Trump, I can’t say. Maybe some of both? In any case, they’re gone. 
But despite the fact that the majority here are liberal, those right wingers that remain are quite loud and boisterous, which IMO is a fine thing. Amonra doesn’t feel like being attacked. That’s fine, nobody deserves being attacked personally. But as far as being attacked for ones views, that happens to me all the time, and it happens to pretty much every liberal here. It’s a smaller crowd that attacks us but as I wrote they make their presence known. 

Getting attacked for ones views is the price you pay for entering into free and vigorous debate. While I can’t speak for others, I find it worth paying. So @Amonra I welcome you and hope you change your mind. I can’t promise that if you offer your point of view that I won’t attack it if I disagree with you. But I can promise to be respectful and friendly and looking forward to learning something from you and hopefully vice versa. 

I'll just say to go look at Drew Brees today.

The guy is getting roasted over simply offering his own opinion on a matter. It's a conservative opinion, and instead of everyone just chalking it up to his opinion, they feel the need to attack him as a person. 

Prime example of why it's not worth offering a take that doesnt agree with the MSM narrative. 

Btw, OP pleading to be cool turning into thread with usual :argue: is exactly why this needs to be locked and pinned.
First you jump right into the off topic conversation, then contradict your own actions by saying that is why the thread should be locked despite what the OP and Owner of the site has determined.  Wow dude.

Just so I'm not guilty of the same thing, back to the discussion about being cool and who does or doesn't post here.  I think if anything this board has made me more conservative.  Who wants to be in the mass majority in a discussion, that's no fun.  Plus with the anonymity I get to see what the far left really thinks.  

The guy is getting roasted over simply offering his own opinion on a matter. It's a conservative opinion, and instead of everyone just chalking it up to his opinion, they feel the need to attack him as a person. 

Prime example of why it's not worth offering a take that doesnt agree with the MSM narrative. 
Did you hear about the former bass player for Nirvana?  I'll have to look that up for you.

Just saw Lebron’s response, very disappointing to see him and other people go after him for his personal feelings which should be respected just like those attacking him want theirs to be. 

I don’t think it’s that hard to understand, this message board has been a safe area for some far left theories, deep into the Russia stuff and very negative/hateful threads towards POTUS. When that’s allowed those that look for that will flock to it, especially when staff also gets involved and is on one extreme side of it all. 

I’m definitely not here for my agreement w the political views, but have been a paying customer for over a decade and enjoy a lot of FFA although I don’t agree with the handling of PSF. That said, it’s not my business and totally respect business owners ability to run things how they want and appreciate the great football info. 
When Joe made the PSF and basically quarantined the 25-30 regulars there into one area it was a very smart business decision.  The FFA was getting ruined and chasing away people who just want to read and enjoy a little without the day in and day out bickering. The PSF is  toxic but it is the same people who know what they will be exposed to everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread