What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do Not Hide Threads Once Another Person Posts (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Joe, what is the use case for allowing poster’s to hide threads? 
Not to speak for Joe, but my guess is that you can't allow hiding of a post and not allow the original poster to hide the thread.  I can see plenty of use cases for allowing someone to hide a post, but not the thread.  If you can hide a post and prohibit hiding the thread, that should be implemented right away.

The software allows the original poster to hide the entire thread. 

We ask people not do that. Once other people post, it's not their thread to hide anymore. 
Sorry, I am not trying to be confrontational but saying the software allows it isn't a use case. If there is not a good reason to support the feature it should not be offered to users. So again what is the use case? 

Sorry, I am not trying to be confrontational but saying the software allows it isn't a use case. If there is not a good reason to support the feature it should not be offered to users. So again what is the use case? 
I've hidden posts on my own after I realize I accidentally posted in the wrong thread/forum, or double posted, etc.

Also, the forum software is off the shelf -- while I'm sure there are lots of configuration options, there's no guarantee this one is a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've hidden posts on my own after I realize I accidentally posted in the wrong thread/forum, or double posted, etc.

Also, the forum software is off the shelf -- while I'm sure there are lots of configuration options, there's no guarantee this one is a choice.
Understood, but couldn't that also be accomplished by deleting the post  or changing it to "Sorry wrong forum?" Maybe even escalate to the admin to delete the post. I understand if FGB doesn't want to have that kind of overhead but it seems allowing someone to hide a thread is pretty extreme.

If it is off the shelf software maybe that feature could be disabled. If it can't put in a feature request to the software developer.

Understood, but couldn't that also be accomplished by deleting the post  or changing it to "Sorry wrong forum?" Maybe even escalate to the admin to delete the post. I understand if FGB doesn't want to have that kind of overhead but it seems allowing someone to hide a thread is pretty extreme.

If it is off the shelf software maybe that feature could be disabled. If it can't put in a feature request to the software developer.
I'm fairly certain you can't delete posts on your own, that's effectively what the hide option is (it is under "Options" at the bottom of any of your own posts) -- changing it would certainly be an option if the hide feature can be disabled. 

FBG uses Invision for their forums, which is used by a lot of companies/websites. I'm sure they could put in a feature request, but as someone in web software I'm sure they're small fish and their request would be pretty low priority (if it ever got addressed at all).

The software allows the original poster to hide the entire thread. 

We ask people not do that. Once other people post, it's not their thread to hide anymore. 
How many further hidden threads will it take to get his account banned?  Youv'e asked him nicely several times and he's either lied or obscured the truth.

I like him as a poster, but it's pretty clear to me that he's being a giant ####### about this.

How many further hidden threads will it take to get his account banned?  Youv'e asked him nicely several times and he's either lied or obscured the truth.

I like him as a poster, but it's pretty clear to me that he's being a giant ####### about this.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure he did it all at once, not after Joe said not to.

I have seen Joe ask him many times this week if there were additional hidden threads.
He probably doesn't even remember all the threads he hid and couldn't really respond to Joe's question.  My guess is that panic set in and he just went and hid anything that he started.  An overreaction yes, but I can see someone doing that even if it doesn't make sense to do so.

He probably doesn't even remember all the threads he hid and couldn't really respond to Joe's question.  My guess is that panic set in and he just went and hid anything that he started.  An overreaction yes, but I can see someone doing that even if it doesn't make sense 
If he's being stalked, he's been found by the stalker, so what difference does the posts here make at that point?  Whole thing is bizarre.

Again, just telling you how it happened.

Not sure what you're looking for with a "use case". We don't want people doing what he did. Full stop. 

If he's being stalked, he's been found by the stalker, so what difference does the posts here make at that point?  Whole thing is bizarre.
That's right. And then why tell people he's Dr. Dan after changing his moniker? Its a strange situation for sure. There were a couple people though if I remember that were pretty upset with him and were challenging his doctorship and the medical statements he was making. Why anyone would care so much on a fantasy football site about any of that I have no idea, but they sure did.

So that it doesn't happen again.  Pretty messed up when someone can find that information and try to damage your career.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:36 PM, smbkrypt24 said: I am only spitballing, but I think the intent of changing his handle/screename and hiding the threads was so that he could continue to post without that stalker knowing anything changed and believing Dr. Dan is no longer posting when he is posting as his new handle/screename. 
I don’t owe anyone an explanation but Joe, which I have PMed him. It shows unread so idk what to say but I have responded to him privately and tried to remember the threads I hid a week ago at once. 

But this post is dead on. I appreciate you assuming the best intentions rather than assuming the worst

Interseptopus said:
I don’t owe anyone an explanation but Joe, which I have PMed him. It shows unread so idk what to say but I have responded to him privately and tried to remember the threads I hid a week ago at once. 

But this post is dead on. I appreciate you assuming the best intentions rather than assuming the worst
Best of luck to you. I hope you can stay. 

Vandelay said:
I agree. Something seems off. 

Deamon said:
So that it doesn't happen again.  Pretty messed up when someone can find that information and try to damage your career.
Regardless, I still think this is pretty fishy. If true I wish you luck mr dan. 

Yes. I responded promptly to his PMs. I asked him how many he'd hidden and he told me 3. I was disappointed to find he'd hidden a ton more. All the PMs are saved.

He asked if he could have all his activity deleted as he was going to start writing for a new site and he was a private person. This is not possible and I let him know that. The next day I told him to make sure he did not hide threads. 

It's fine and it's closed now. No intention of further polluting football talk with this. If you want to continue this discussion, send a PM. 

Bottom line: We don't want anyone hiding threads once other people contribute. 

While I am disappointed a private PM/email is not kept private, the fact that I was in the beginning stages of writing and my personal info was compromised. I found out I could not write using a pen name, so I reached out privately with the expectation it would be kept private.

An admin here told me it was possible but Joe would need to make an exception as they were not allowed to do so. I didn’t make a list of threads hid and I feel bad for Joe having to dig to find them. In the end, I’ve decided to pull my articles and not write because of the inability of myself to hide my information and the fact that it was compromised already.

Joe told me to not hide threads after I had done so, and then made it seem like I was intentionally not remembering how many I hid, or hiding more, which is not the case. 

Last I’ll say about all of this. I’m surprised it’s been made into such a big deal by others around here. People need to find better things to do with their time, especially better than calling my office phone and referencing fbgs forum... all voicemails are saved.

Probably one of the last posts I’ll make around here... 
Ya some weird stuff going on here.  Inter... so you have received more voicemails since the original one?  While this may not be anyone/everyone's business, there seems to be a lot of interest in the subject, as well as people wanting to know if their information could somehow be compromised too.  I'm not really worried about it but others may be.

Ya some weird stuff going on here.  Inter... so you have received more voicemails since the original one?  While this may not be anyone/everyone's business, there seems to be a lot of interest in the subject, as well as people wanting to know if their information could somehow be compromised too.  I'm not really worried about it but others may be.
Definitely odd.

My only take was I took great exception to a poster hiding a bunch of threads that were 40+ pages of other poster's commentary. 

He said he won't do it anymore and I believe him. Hoping this is closed. 

And last thing, there has been zero trouble with any email information I'm aware of. It's possible for an admin to see the email a poster used to register with I suppose but I've never looked into those as there is no need to when one can send a PM. 

No, just one on my office phone. I have two ideas and they could be the same person. One posts here and has been quite vile towards me and the other used to be the exact same way but doesn’t post here any longer since September. I assume they are the same person. 

Many have suggested I contact authorities and I have... we will see where it goes... I was trying to protect myself as I was considering putting myself more out there by writing and this place is littered with trolls/haters... got spooked when this happened and wanted to try and reset to continue to do something I like. Seems that won’t be able to be the case. I’d like to continue to share some ideas with those who have appreciated my thoughts so please pm me...

No, just one on my office phone. I have two ideas and they could be the same person. One posts here and has been quite vile towards me and the other used to be the exact same way but doesn’t post here any longer since September. I assume they are the same person. 

Many have suggested I contact authorities and I have... we will see where it goes... I was trying to protect myself as I was considering putting myself more out there by writing and this place is littered with trolls/haters... got spooked when this happened and wanted to try and reset to continue to do something I like. Seems that won’t be able to be the case. I’d like to continue to share some ideas with those who have appreciated my thoughts so please pm me...
I believe we’ve spent too much time on this.  Too much attention has been given to it.

This is an odd situation. If somebody from here is harassing you irl, that is definitely uncalled for. I'm just not sure how changing your username from Dr. Dan to Dr. BD to your latest name and hiding all of the threads you have started addresses the situation. I'm not sure either why you consider the threads you posted on a public message board to be your private content and referred to by you as "articles"?

If you express your opinions in public (especially on the internet) there will always be people that don't agree with you. Some are just more vocal about it than others. 🤷‍♂️

Closing this one now so hopefully we can get back to football. 

Bottom line, once a thread has one comment, it's no longer the original poster's to hide. 

Let's get back to football. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread