What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (1 Viewer)

I had forgotten that a few years ago a landscaper showed up to mow Gundy’s yard in an OU shirt and he threw and absolute hissy-fit and made the guy leave. T-shirts are obviously very important to the man. 

The locals all seem to have Gundy's back.  

"spoiled brat"

"entitled"

"snowflake"

"a man can't have an opinion without you crying?"

"take a hike"

"Don't let the door hit ya"

"good riddance" 

Those are the first posts in regards to the story on the Oklahoma Fan Page on facebook.     Not a lot of  tolerance.
LOL.  In fairness, you seen the tolerance level with the guy for just wearing a t-shirt?

I had forgotten that a few years ago a landscaper showed up to mow Gundy’s yard in an OU shirt and he threw and absolute hissy-fit and made the guy leave. T-shirts are obviously very important to the man. 
Former duhOSU coach Urban Meyer wouldn't permit blue shirts around him - didn't have to be Michigan blue or have anything to do with the Wolverines.

It's all totally stupid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gundy the same man who defended a black player with his famous "I'M 40!  I'M A MAN" rant?
Bobby Reid, who has gone on record as saying he thought that was all for show and not genuine. Having said that, Reid took an administrative position under Gundy at OSU many years later, so I would guess they reconciled to some degree. 

That rant was more anti-journalist than pro-player in my opinion. Happened to be a female journalist for what that's worth. Most people think that Gundy or someone on his staff leaked info (Reid was soft or something like that, didn't want to play through an injury I think), then he got mad when it was written about. The target of the rant was Jenni Carlson, she's covered sports in Oklahoma for as long as I can remember. Gundy is an absolute dunce. 

The Belk Bowl is now the Duke's Mayo Bowl  :lmao:
I know it was talked about during the awesome Beef O' Brady run, but can the FFA pool enough funds to sponsor a bowl?  What would it take, $12 each? @gump do you know anything about bowl sponsorship?  I'd vote to put the $900 we have sitting in Cav Crypto towards it.

The Tide has certainly turned on OOC scheduling...Bama's future:

2022: at Texas (Sept. 10)
2023: Texas (Sept. 9), at USF (Sept. 16)
2024: USF (Sept. 7), at Wisconsin (Sept. 14)
2025: at Florida State (Aug. 30), Wisconsin (Sept. 13)
2026: at West Virginia (Sept. 5), USF (Sept. 12), Florida State (Sept. 19)
2027: West Virginia (Sept. 4), at Ohio State (Sept. 18)
2028: at Notre Dame (Sept. 2), Ohio State (Sept. 9)
2029: Notre Dame (Sept. 1)
2030: at Georgia Tech (Aug. 31)
2031: Georgia Tech (Aug. 30)
2032: Arizona (Sept. 4), at Oklahoma (Sept. 11)
2033: at Arizona (Sept. 3), Oklahoma (Sept. 10)
2034: at Virginia Tech (Sept. 2)
2035: Virginia Tech (Sept. 1)

In 2034, I'll be 70.  I hope I can watch the game before my 4 PM dinner and 6 PM bedtime. :oldunsure:

I don't get why this stuff has to be set more than a decade out.  There needs to be some flexibility for P5 conferences to do round robin to some extent.

“We put our lives at risk every single time we put on that helmet,” said one UCLA player.

You are far more likely to get struck by lightning and die than to die from this disease, or anything else in the near term as a result of playing football kid.  You don't like risk?  Join the rest of the doomers and stay home.
From weather.gov

Lightning kills an average of 49 people each year in the United States and hundreds more are injured. Some survivors suffer lifelong neurological damage.
:mellow:

I just posted this in the NFL-COVID thread, but it should probably be here instead...  13 new COVID cases on the U. Texas team.  They also had 2 last week and 4 others testing positive for antibodies.

@gmraynor

reports that 23 -- yes, 23 -- Clemson football players have tested positive for COVID-19.

link
Maybe if they all get exposed now and get it out of the way, they should have no problem playing the season.

“We put our lives at risk every single time we put on that helmet,” said one UCLA player.

You are far more likely to get struck by lightning and die than to die from this disease, or anything else in the near term as a result of playing football kid.  You don't like risk?  Join the rest of the doomers and stay home.
From weather.gov

Lightning kills an average of 49 people each year in the United States and hundreds more are injured. Some survivors suffer lifelong neurological damage.
:mellow:
And here you see an example of stupid hyperbole.  Which is WAY less exaggerated than the panic/doom of those who are terrified of this disease and think we should hunker in our homes in fear.  Which has killed @ 1/10000 college-aged kids in California.  FAR less than alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, or general stupidity I'M GUESSING.  And I'd be willing to wager that none of those 1/10000 that have died were Division 1 level athletes.  Just a guess....

Not from The Onion

@Brett_McMurphy: Oregon & Oregon State mutually agree to no longer refer to Oregon-Oregon State rivalry games as the “Civil War”

Not from The Onion

@Brett_McMurphy: Oregon & Oregon State mutually agree to no longer refer to Oregon-Oregon State rivalry games as the “Civil War”
Good god.  There have been thousands of civil wars.  Sometimes I hate my state.

Under Armour walking away from UCLA and Cal deals.

The Bruins deal will likely be known as the Worst Deal in Sports Marketing History. UA overpaid 10x.

Ivy League considers conference-only spring season

The Ivy League is considering two possibilities for an altered football season due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, including forgoing the entire fall in favor of a seven-game, conference-only spring season that would begin in April and conclude in mid-May, according to a report from TMG Sports.

According to the report, the Ivy League is also considering opening the 2020 season in late September with a seven-game schedule against only conference opponents. The Ivy League normally plays a 10-game schedule that tentatively begins this season on Sept. 19.
I don't know if this trickles up to FBS, but we'll have to see if what the Ivies decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivies led the way in cancelling college hoops.  Would have to think Power 5 will follow their lead and postpone till Spring, then reassess as we get closer to Spring.  Makes me sad, but I don't see how they risk a Fall season at this point.
Ivy, FCS, even some Group of 5 will follow for sure soon.  But nowhere close to happening yet in P5.

Ivy, FCS, even some Group of 5 will follow for sure soon.  But nowhere close to happening yet in P5.
Pretty much what happened in hoops.  Took like 36 hours.  We're not as close to the season obviously but I think the progression will be the same.  I don't WANT it to be, just resigned at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread