What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (1 Viewer)

This is the worst defensive performance in the Saban era...
During the Florida game earlier today they mentioned that the lack of a real offseason was much harder on defenses than offenses.  I wonder how true that is because EVERYONE's defense looks awful right now.  Everyone is upset that their team is playing the worst defense in years.  Alabama, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Auburn, etc.

Watching the Florida game today it felt like the worst defense ever and I was shocked to see it had the LOWEST score of all the major games going on at the time.  UNC/VT, LSU/MIZ, and RRR were just as bad if not worse.  Now Bama/Ole Miss and FSU/ND are probably both going to break 80 pts as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
During the Florida game earlier today they mentioned that the lack of a real offseason was much harder on defenses than offenses.  I wonder how true that is because EVERYONE's defense looks awful right now.  Everyone is upset that their team is playing the worst defense in years.  Alabama, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Auburn, etc.

Watching the Florida game today it felt like the worst defense ever and I was shocked to see it had the LOWEST score of all the major games going on at the time.  UNC/VT, LSU/MIZ, and RRR were just as bad if not worse.  Now Bama/Ole Miss and FSU/ND are probably both going to break 80 pts as well.
I agree with this.  Should have expected an odd season to have some odd outcomes.  We've already witnessed a season's worth of chaos.

The RRR was 17-17 at half, but not because of good defense.  Alabama and Ole Miss score 111 in regulation.  Everyone expected that. :loco:   Has Las Vegas adjusted their O/Us?

One of the most intense games ever. That was fun. I love blowouts, but these are so much better. Really thought Kiffin was going to be the first of the kids.

Last year the Bama D was the worst under Saban...healthier and more experienced this year but not looking better. It’s such a complicated system...DC Golding is struggling.
All will be well when you guys face LSU. Bama could probably send their entire two-deep to Disneyworld for that game, and just go with freshmen and walk-ons and still win by 40.

That box score is crazy. How did they lose, let alone by 3 TDS.
Throw 6 ints and 0 tds?  :shrug:  

The honeymoon with Leach didn't last long.

ETA:  Just watched the highlights.  It looked like Kentucky was able to get consistent pressure with 3 rushers.  On the walk-in pick 6, 2 of the 3 rushers got to the QB.  Going to be a long season if the defense can drop 8 and still get pressure with 3 rushers.

Long way back to even respectability for the Noles, but last night was the most promising the offense has been since Dalvin Cook left at least. Crazy it took them so long to get rid of Blackman. 

Throw 6 ints and 0 tds?  :shrug:  

The honeymoon with Leach didn't last long.

ETA:  Just watched the highlights.  It looked like Kentucky was able to get consistent pressure with 3 rushers.  On the walk-in pick 6, 2 of the 3 rushers got to the QB.  Going to be a long season if the defense can drop 8 and still get pressure with 3 rushers.
That was the first time a Mike Leach coached team failed to score on offense.  Wow. 

Sarcasm noted...but Golding won’t get fired mid-season anyway. And its not easy to be a DC under Saban. Don’t know who’d be next.
It was sarcasm but I imagine he's probably ready to retire.   And enter into the conversation for Texas' next 8 coaching searches. 

It was sarcasm but I imagine he's probably ready to retire.   And enter into the conversation for Texas' next 8 coaching searches. 
Showing no signs but if he suddenly did, Sarkisian is in a great spot to make it easy and slide in.

-5 hosting UGA this week...if the UGA O lights up this D then the chances of a Champ this year is over, as they’ll never keep the better offenses like Clemson or OSU under 50. And if that happens it’ll wear on Saban.

@Brett_McMurphy: Saturday’s Oklahoma State at Baylor game moved to Dec. 12 because Baylor suspending football operations temporarily after multiple positive COVID tests

Are we sure LSU is better than Kentucky this year?
That would be a foolish assumption at this point.  There's lots of talk about a locker room divide over the social justice stuff.  The offense looks great, but the  D is literally not even trying.  It's so comically bad that the locker room stuff looks like it may be true.  Who knows though?

That would be a foolish assumption at this point.  There's lots of talk about a locker room divide over the social justice stuff.  The offense looks great, but the  D is literally not even trying.  It's so comically bad that the locker room stuff looks like it may be true.  Who knows though?
First I've heard of this....not doubting your sources....just thought I would've heard something.  Any links at all (even speculation)?

Defenses should arrive by 730pm

@SEC: FB GAME TIME CHANGE: The LSU at Florida football game Saturday in Gainesville will start at 4 pm ET/3 pm CT.  The game was originally scheduled for 3:30 ET/2:30 CT.  The game will still be televised by ESPN.

Defenses should arrive by 730pm

@SEC: FB GAME TIME CHANGE: The LSU at Florida football game Saturday in Gainesville will start at 4 pm ET/3 pm CT.  The game was originally scheduled for 3:30 ET/2:30 CT.  The game will still be televised by ESPN.
This is a diversion to keep 90,000 fans from trying to get into the swamp.  The game will actually be played at noon... On Friday.

@petitus25: #BREAKING: According to sources close to the team, 19 football players have tested positive for COVID-19. @alligatorSports @TheAlligator

@FloridaGators: Out of an abundance of caution, @GatorsFB team activities are paused as of Tuesday afternoon.
https://bit.ly/2IkS3VW

gump said:
The biggest line jump i see is the O/U for Bama v UGA....opened at 49.5, now at 57.
What are your thoughts?  I'm not so sure Saban's defense will remain poor.  I think I'd lean under that 57 right now.

JaxBill said:
@petitus25: #BREAKING: According to sources close to the team, 19 football players have tested positive for COVID-19. @alligatorSports @TheAlligator

@FloridaGators: Out of an abundance of caution, @GatorsFB team activities are paused as of Tuesday afternoon.
The LSU/FL  game is tentatively rescheduled for December 12.  

And now Saban has Covid...
Nick Saban has tested positive for COVID-19. No. 2 Alabama plays No. 3 Georgia Saturday night.

Saban said he found out earlier this afternoon he was positive, and he is not experiencing any symptoms. He informed team via Zoom at 2 p.m. today. Sark will oversee preparations at the football complex while Saban works from home.

JaxBill said:

Similar to adding "in bed" at the end of every fortune cookie sentence, it's about time to replace the bolded phrase with, "Due to the reality of Covid-19". 

These public relations statements where each football program, business, or event uses that 'abundance of caution' line is non-sense... like they're doing something noble or over-the-top from a safety perspective is ridiculous.

What are your thoughts?  I'm not so sure Saban's defense will remain poor.  I think I'd lean under that 57 right now.
The Bama Ds problem is reading and reacting...if the UGA offense stays old school, that’s a good matchup for Bama. And the Bama O needs to control the clock to keep the D off the field, with an elite OL and RB Corp...but vs an elite D. 

ETA: if Saban is out...who the hell knows, but it may actually help the D keep it simple.

Urb to Texas?
They may not have the money.   $30 oil hurts.  

They extended Herman so they let him go now and his annual deal was somewhere in the 20-25 a year range depending on his terms.  And that's after paying a bunch to Strong.  

Users who are viewing this thread