What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (2 Viewers)

What happened 
He finally played JT Daniels, who surprised no one but Kirby apparently by lighting it up and making the other two guys Kirby started over him look like JAGs. Now the UGA fans are wondering why it came so late and after UF.

He finally played JT Daniels, who surprised no one but Kirby apparently by lighting it up and making the other two guys Kirby started over him look like JAGs. Now the UGA fans are wondering why it came so late and after UF.
I assumed JT was hurt. Extremely stupid not to play him if he was ready. I already thought letting Fields get away for that mega JAG was a fireable offense though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I assumed JT was hurt. Extremely stupid not to play him if he was ready. I already thought letting Fields get away for that mega JAG was a fireable offense though. 
Yeah - they said on the telecast last night that Daniels was still recovering.  I won't knock him for having the kids health a priority (even if it's just the perception of it).

@BruceFeldmanCFB: SOURCES: #BYU turned down the opportunity to play #Washington this coming weekend. UDub had reached out yesterday but was told BYU wanted to wait until after the CFP rankings Tuesday to gauge their place. "It's off the table."

@PeteThamel 

Source: Some context on the potential BYU-Washington game. BYU is interested in playing, but only if they can lock in a contract immediately. They are concerned that Pac-12 will make UW play Utah on Sunday if ASU can't play. "If we can get a game locked in, we want to play."

Guy is a true scumbag. Hope Norvell can get back to its level and beat his brains in. 
Terrible thing to say when you don't even know the guy.  And the link provided selected that single line with no additional context.  Swinney said he believed the FSU players and coaches truly wanted to play this game and he felt bad for them as well as his own players and staff.  It was the FSU administration that he blames for the game not being played, not the FSU coaches or players.  They did everything by the rules the league set forth regarding Covid protocols and testing.  If Clemson was 5-4 or 3-6 we wouldn't be having this discussion in the thread.  I get it. Everyone wants them to fail and go away.  I feel similar with some other teams in the NCAA but I hope I wouldn't call one of the coaches a scumbag. 

I'll just leave this right here.

SMDH

Clemson's Swinney: 'COVID was just an excuse' for FSU to cancel game https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2056613
You're a Gamecock fan so it isn't surprising that you hate Swinney and everything Clemson.  Totally get that.  But in this case, Swinney isn't wrong.  To say "Covid was just an excuse" was certanly not the best thing he could have said but he isn't wrong to be upset over what happened this weekend. 

They did everything within the Covid rules/protocols that the ACC had set up for this season.  The backup lineman had mild symptoms and didn't practice early in the week.  He tested negative and practiced on Wednesday, tested negative and practiced on Thursday and was set to travel.  Tested Friday and got the results while in FSU.  The Friday test is put in place to have that one last test prior to game day.  If a player is positive, they are isolated immediately (This player was sent back to Clemson so he didn't stay with the team).  Everyone else tested negative, so no reason for them to quarantine.  

The ACC set up guidelines that allowed teams to expand the roster to travel from 72 to 80 for just this purpose.  The SEC has the 53 man roster allowance where a team to elect not to play if they choose.  ACC doesn't have that protocol.  The only roster number that comes into play is you have to have at least 7 linemen.  They had plenty and is why they still met the protocol after sending the OLineman home.  If a guy tests positive on Friday, he is isolated and one of the extra 8 players suits up.  

"That's why we test on Friday before the game because a guy can be negative Monday, Tues, Wed, Thurs... all week and can be positive on Friday, so that's why we test on Friday.  

It's also why we as a league voted to expand the travel roster from 72 to 80 in expectation that there would be positives on Friday so that you could make more guys available. No one ever had the illusion that there wouldn't be a positive test on Friday, so that's why the roster was expanded... the standard to cancel a game was not met... the only thing we talked about (in committees to discuss the season) in canceling the game was not having enough scholarship guys or at least have 7 offensive lineman."
Prep during the week and spent 300k+ to travel and set up and followed every protocol set up by the ACC (not Clemson or FSU).  And the FSU medical staff/admin decided it was too risky.

They offered to retest everyone on Saturday (The one player was already gone) and play on Sunday.  Test on Sunday and play on Monday. FSU wanted no part of it.  

They said they were worried about other offensive guys being infected.  Everyone else tested negative.  "Well it could take a few days."  Well, yeah, but if that is what you are worried about then your school shouldn't be playing this season.  The league got together and came up with rules and protocols for play.  Those were all met.  

Some people have said "they let him practice all week and travel knowing he had the virus."  Just not true.  He was negative all week and didn't find out until he was already in Florida. 

Trevor Lawrence also practiced all week and his Wednesday test came back positive on Thursday.  He isolated and all protocols were met.  Boston College didn't cry foul and want to cancel the game because he "may have exposed other players."  No, everyone else subsequently tested negative.  What makes this one different?  They expanded the roster just in case there are Friday positives.  And Clemson offered to retest on Saturday and Sunday to ease FSU's concerns. FSU said no, even though the protocol allowed for a positive Friday test.

If FSU was 7-1 or 8-0, would they have called that game?  We'll never know.

Terrible thing to say when you don't even know the guy.  And the link provided selected that single line with no additional context.  Swinney said he believed the FSU players and coaches truly wanted to play this game and he felt bad for them as well as his own players and staff.  It was the FSU administration that he blames for the game not being played, not the FSU coaches or players.  They did everything by the rules the league set forth regarding Covid protocols and testing.  If Clemson was 5-4 or 3-6 we wouldn't be having this discussion in the thread.  I get it. Everyone wants them to fail and go away.  I feel similar with some other teams in the NCAA but I hope I wouldn't call one of the coaches a scumbag. 
Nah he’s a piece of crap. Clemson has been overrun by covid all year, even their franchise qb got it, then a sick kid practiced all week (how???) then got on a plane with the team (how??????), then tested positive and he wants to blame FSU instead of looking at what he’s doing wrong. Guy is garbage. 

I’m not that tired of new money Clemson. Program was irrelevant for 30 years, please stop with the you just want us to go away shtick, y’all aren’t Alabama. I’m just not interested in some Jesus freak coach not willing to accept blame for his own problems and trying to pawn his poor handling of a pandemic off on somebody else. 

You're a Gamecock fan so it isn't surprising that you hate Swinney and everything Clemson.  Totally get that.  But in this case, Swinney isn't wrong.  To say "Covid was just an excuse" was certanly not the best thing he could have said but he isn't wrong to be upset over what happened this weekend. 

They did everything within the Covid rules/protocols that the ACC had set up for this season.  The backup lineman had mild symptoms and didn't practice early in the week.  He tested negative and practiced on Wednesday, tested negative and practiced on Thursday and was set to travel.  Tested Friday and got the results while in FSU.  The Friday test is put in place to have that one last test prior to game day.  If a player is positive, they are isolated immediately (This player was sent back to Clemson so he didn't stay with the team).  Everyone else tested negative, so no reason for them to quarantine.  

The ACC set up guidelines that allowed teams to expand the roster to travel from 72 to 80 for just this purpose.  The SEC has the 53 man roster allowance where a team to elect not to play if they choose.  ACC doesn't have that protocol.  The only roster number that comes into play is you have to have at least 7 linemen.  They had plenty and is why they still met the protocol after sending the OLineman home.  If a guy tests positive on Friday, he is isolated and one of the extra 8 players suits up.  

Prep during the week and spent 300k+ to travel and set up and followed every protocol set up by the ACC (not Clemson or FSU).  And the FSU medical staff/admin decided it was too risky.

They offered to retest everyone on Saturday (The one player was already gone) and play on Sunday.  Test on Sunday and play on Monday. FSU wanted no part of it.  

They said they were worried about other offensive guys being infected.  Everyone else tested negative.  "Well it could take a few days."  Well, yeah, but if that is what you are worried about then your school shouldn't be playing this season.  The league got together and came up with rules and protocols for play.  Those were all met.  

Some people have said "they let him practice all week and travel knowing he had the virus."  Just not true.  He was negative all week and didn't find out until he was already in Florida. 

Trevor Lawrence also practiced all week and his Wednesday test came back positive on Thursday.  He isolated and all protocols were met.  Boston College didn't cry foul and want to cancel the game because he "may have exposed other players."  No, everyone else subsequently tested negative.  What makes this one different?  They expanded the roster just in case there are Friday positives.  And Clemson offered to retest on Saturday and Sunday to ease FSU's concerns. FSU said no, even though the protocol allowed for a positive Friday test.

If FSU was 7-1 or 8-0, would they have called that game?  We'll never know.
300k to travel a few hundred miles???? Did Clemson rent wonder woman’s invisible jet or something? How could it possible cost that much? 

Nah he’s a piece of crap. Clemson has been overrun by covid all year, even their franchise qb got it, then a sick kid practiced all week (how???) then got on a plane with the team (how??????), then tested positive and he wants to blame FSU instead of looking at what he’s doing wrong. Guy is garbage. 

I’m not that tired of new money Clemson. Program was irrelevant for 30 years, please stop with the you just want us to go away shtick, y’all aren’t Alabama. I’m just not interested in some Jesus freak coach not willing to accept blame for his own problems and trying to pawn his poor handling of a pandemic off on somebody else. 
It's a Jesus freak thing, gotcha.  The guy wasn't sick and didn't practice all week.  If every guy with a runny nose, and tested negative for Covid, was told he can't play a game that weekend because of that runny nose, there would be a lot more canceled games than we already have.  He traveled because he tested negative multiple times during the week. In hindsight, yes, he probably shouldn't have traveled.  

Swinney was asked why he allowed the guy to travel if he might be coming down with a cold.  "If a guy has a runny nose all week and he tests negative, and you say well, we won't take you on the trip... what does that say to the guy and others who the testing said they didn't have the virus... you either trust the tests or you don't and the rules are what they are."  

Guys who played on Saturday would test positive on Monday morning.  It's a virus and tests are tests.  They won't go back and contact trace every single tackle or block that was made.  Everyone tests during the week.  If protocols weren't in place, we wouldn't have a football season.  These protocols set up by the league were met and FSU decided they didn't want to play.  Call Swinney what you want but they've handled the pandemic just fine.  People thought he'd try to force Lawrence into the ND game.  He didn't, he followed the ACC protocols and Trevor sat.  He did the same for this backup offensive lineman.  FSU decided they didn't want to play.  

300k to travel a few hundred miles???? Did Clemson rent wonder woman’s invisible jet or something? How could it possible cost that much? 
Covid protocols likely had something to do with the higher costs.  Aircraft and multiple buses, hotel and meals for over 100 people.  Meals may have been catered in due hotel covid restrictions.  They said they had a huge tent set up in the hotel parking lot they used to separate people during meals, etc.  Guess it all adds up.  

Covid protocols likely had something to do with the higher costs.  Aircraft and multiple buses, hotel and meals for over 100 people.  Meals may have been catered in due hotel covid restrictions.  They said they had a huge tent set up in the hotel parking lot they used to separate people during meals, etc.  Guess it all adds up.  
I mean if that’s the case how are they going to play basketball and other non-major revenue sports this year? Even with less staff and players on those teams, if you cut that by 60% that’s a prohibitive cost, and they play more games. 

It's a Jesus freak thing, gotcha.  The guy wasn't sick and didn't practice all week.  If every guy with a runny nose, and tested negative for Covid, was told he can't play a game that weekend because of that runny nose, there would be a lot more canceled games than we already have.  He traveled because he tested negative multiple times during the week. In hindsight, yes, he probably shouldn't have traveled.  

Swinney was asked why he allowed the guy to travel if he might be coming down with a cold.  "If a guy has a runny nose all week and he tests negative, and you say well, we won't take you on the trip... what does that say to the guy and others who the testing said they didn't have the virus... you either trust the tests or you don't and the rules are what they are."  

Guys who played on Saturday would test positive on Monday morning.  It's a virus and tests are tests.  They won't go back and contact trace every single tackle or block that was made.  Everyone tests during the week.  If protocols weren't in place, we wouldn't have a football season.  These protocols set up by the league were met and FSU decided they didn't want to play.  Call Swinney what you want but they've handled the pandemic just fine.  People thought he'd try to force Lawrence into the ND game.  He didn't, he followed the ACC protocols and Trevor sat.  He did the same for this backup offensive lineman.  FSU decided they didn't want to play.  
I’ve said for years that Dabo uses his Jesus shtick to recruit, which I find gross, but Bowden did it too so I understand. But to throw that card on the table and then accuse FSU of ducking them DURING A PANDEMIC is especially unseemly. 

Everybody is handling this differently. Every family, every school, every state. So it doesn’t really matter what BC did. FSU even asked their kids not to go home during a bye week to stay safe, they haven’t had any players test positive since the summer I believe — the fact that they are trying to keep people safe and some are mocking them for it just because of a stupid, ultimately meaningless football game pretty much underscores why our country is failing so devastatingly badly during this to begin with. 

Also it ignores common sense (again, in line with the country) that FSU had 20k tickets sold for the game, which is revenue they need, that now must be returned. 

I’ve said for years that Dabo uses his Jesus shtick to recruit, which I find gross, but Bowden did it too so I understand. But to throw that card on the table and then accuse FSU of ducking them DURING A PANDEMIC is especially unseemly. 

Everybody is handling this differently. Every family, every school, every state. So it doesn’t really matter what BC did. FSU even asked their kids not to go home during a bye week to stay safe, they haven’t had any players test positive since the summer I believe — the fact that they are trying to keep people safe and some are mocking them for it just because of a stupid, ultimately meaningless football game pretty much underscores why our country is failing so devastatingly badly during this to begin with. 

Also it ignores common sense (again, in line with the country) that FSU had 20k tickets sold for the game, which is revenue they need, that now must be returned. 
I get what you're saying and don't disagree with much of it.  I don't believe Dabo is saying that FSU is ducking them during a pandemic or any way otherwise.  He is not upset with FSU players/coaches/team officials.  He complimented the coach and players and believed they wanted to play the game as they spent the week fully preparing too.  He's upset with the FSU medical officials that decided to ignore the league's protocols in place and determine that the game would not be played.  He feels they changed the rules at the last moment without league input.  He's upset that they spent lots of money and did all they had to do to play the game, within established rules which FSU agreed upon back in the summer, and feels the rug was pulled out from under the team.  

That said, at the end of the day it's just a game.  And his choice of words was in poor taste.  To say Covid as an excuse not to play is, well, a pretty dumb thing to say.  As for the Jesus schtick, it's far from that in his case.  He truly is a believer and that guy will share his faith with any and everyone.  He's genuine in that regard.  Doesn't prevent him from being a doofus, though.

I mean if that’s the case how are they going to play basketball and other non-major revenue sports this year? Even with less staff and players on those teams, if you cut that by 60% that’s a prohibitive cost, and they play more games. 
Good question.  Seems the NCAA is still trying to figure out how they're going to play hoops this season.

Semi-Rivalry Week current point spreads:

ND -4 @ UNC (FRI)

Oregon -13 @ Oregon St (FRI)

Cal - 2 v Stanford (THE GAME - FRI)

UW -9 @ WSU (FRI)

Bama - 23.5 v AU (IRON BOWL)

Wisc -21.5 v Minnesota

Michigan -2 v Penn State

TAMU -14 v LSU

Ole Miss -10.5 v Miss St (EGG BOWL)

The Oregon uniforms this afternoon were the worst I've ever seen out of them, I think.  And that is obviously saying something.
Sigh.....okay, Boomer.

Again, they aren't trying to appeal to crusty old white guys like us.  These uniforms were an homage to Polynesian culture, which is a pretty important place for recruiting and needs to be continued.  See the Sewell Family as proof of this important pipeline.  

And you know who DID like these uniforms?  CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL......................................

After releasing a special uniform to celebrate Polynesian culture, the Oregon Ducks have received a positive review from a notable Polynesian celebrity. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson posted a tweet on Thursday night regarding Oregon's new "Ohana" uniforms with the actor proud of what the jerseys represent. 

The Rock tweeted,

"Love this look and power behind its meaning. Culture. Well done team and as always, to my former Miami teammate and Oregon football head coach, Mario Cristobal - stay strong, brother #theu #goducks #mana"

Mario Cristobal and Dwayne Johnson were former college teammates from 1991-92 with the Miami Hurricanes with the two playing on Miami's 1991 National Championship team. The Rock has previously used twitter to celebrate his former teammate, with a tweet congratulating Cristobal's hiring at Oregon in 2017. 

According to a release from the Oregon football program, the uniforms have a number of features to celebrate Polynesian Culture. 

- A woven pattern signifying "experience" was utilized on the wings adorning the helmet, the Oregon logo and the jersey numerals. The pattern calls to mind a sinew rope, blending together the experiences of many into a single, strong strand.
- The neckline features a pattern radiating down the front of the jersey, calling to mind feather cloaks worn by Hawaiian nobility for ceremonies or battle. The pattern is green nearest to the neck line, invoking a green lei.
- The helmet and gloves feature a galaxy of stars including the Southern Cross, a constellation used to aid oceanic navigation in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Arm sleeves available to the players include imagery at the wrist signifying togetherness. That detail is a nod to bangles adorned by dancers of the Hula, the traditional means of coming together and communicating the history and values of pan-Polynesian cultures.

Sigh.....okay, Boomer.

Again, they aren't trying to appeal to crusty old white guys like us.  These uniforms were an homage to Polynesian culture, which is a pretty important place for recruiting and needs to be continued.  See the Sewell Family as proof of this important pipeline.  

And you know who DID like these uniforms?  CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL......................................

Cool!  Still ugly.  :D  

Some Clemson assistant coach checks in on Twitter this morning:

”There’s another pandemic ravaging our nation right now: political correctness”
Someone should show him that movie PCU w Jeremy Piven. He's not wrong, but it's not a new issue

wut?

@Brett_McMurphy: Saturday’s Minnesota at Wisconsin game has been canceled because of COVID issues at Minnesota. Wisconsin now ineligible for Big Ten title game so Northwestern only needs 1 win in final 3 games to clinch Big Ten title game berth

wut?

@Brett_McMurphy: Saturday’s Minnesota at Wisconsin game has been canceled because of COVID issues at Minnesota. Wisconsin now ineligible for Big Ten title game so Northwestern only needs 1 win in final 3 games to clinch Big Ten title game berth
Had to play a minimum number of games to make the title game.  This one cancelled will put them under that minimum.

wut?

Had to play a minimum number of games to make the title game.  This one cancelled will put them under that minimum.
the good news is they can still win the NFC East

I get that.

Just surprised the conference isn't trying ro shift some schedules so a team in contention isn't eliminated based on an opponent having an outbreak.

I get that.

Just surprised the conference isn't trying ro shift some schedules so a team in contention isn't eliminated based on an opponent having an outbreak.
I am guessing Alvarez is working the phones.  One suggestion I read is shift Purdue to Wiscy this week and let them play Rutgers at end of season, since Purdue and Wiscy already prepared for each other for an earlier cancelled game.

I get that.

They lost 2 games due to their own outbreak.  :shrug:

I get what you're saying but Northwestern probably isn't losing two of MSU, Minnesota, and Illinois.  I guess there would be potential for Minnesota to not even go next week meaning NW would just have to beat MSU or Illinois.

wut?

Now I hope they change up that last weekend plan thing of playing across the conference...let Minnesota and Wisconsin play that last weekend for the Axe.

Users who are viewing this thread