What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (5 Viewers)

The City of Madison (WI) health department said Wednesday that 42 players and staff with the Badger football team have tested positive for COVID-19.  The university is currently in a 2 week stoppage of in-person lectures and has extended its tuition reimbursement offer through the end of this month.  Two of the largest dormitories on campus are completely locked down - meaning no one comes or goes, food is being delivered.  I have the greatest sympathy for anyone in a decision-making position at one of these schools.  There are truly no right answers, almost no reliable guidance, and zero chance that any decision will be met with broad public approval.

Saturday's games:

Liberty at WKU 12:00pm ESPNU 

19 Louisiana at Georgia State 12:00pm ESPN2 

Navy at Tulane 12:00pm ABC 

Boston College at Duke 12:00pm RSN/ESPN3 

Syracuse at 25 Pitt 12:00pm ACCN 

Austin Peay at 13 Cincinnati 12:00pm ESPN+

Tulsa at 11 Oklahoma State 12:00pm ESPN 

Houston at Baylor 12:00pm FOX 

USF at 7 Notre Dame 2:30pm USA Network 

Stephen F. Austin at UTSA 3:00pm ESPN3 

21 BYU at 22 Army  Postponed

24 Appalachian State at Marshall 3:30pm CBS

Charlotte at 12 North Carolina  Canceled

14 UCF at Georgia Tech 3:30pm ABC 

Florida Atlantic at Georgia Southern 3:30pm ESPN 

Troy at Middle Tennessee 4:00pm ESPN2 

The Citadel at 1 Clemson 4:00pm ACCN 

SMU at North Texas 6:00pm CBSSN 

Texas State at ULM7:30pm ESPNU 

17 Miami (FL) at 18 Louisville 7:30pm ABC

Virginia at 20 Virginia Tech  Postponed

Louisiana Tech at Southern Miss 7:30pm ESPN2 

Wake Forest at NC State 8:00pm ACCN

Abilene Christian at UTEP 9:00pm ESPN3
In a nation starving for college football, imagine still having your team broadcast on ESPN3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toledo Blade (a reputable source for MAC news) reporting that MAC ADs had a meeting yesterday and there is a serious push to play football this fall.  They do not want to be the only FBS conference left out and proposals are out there for a potential October season start.  

Toledo Blade (a reputable source for MAC news) reporting that MAC ADs had a meeting yesterday and there is a serious push to play football this fall.  They do not want to be the only FBS conference left out and proposals are out there for a potential October season start.  
Pretty much once the B1G decided to jump back in, so would the rest of the holdouts.

@Brett_McMurphy: Mountain West “aggressively exploring” options to play 8-game fall season, culminating w/Dec. 19 MW title game, sources told @Stadium. This would allow league to be eligible for NY6 bowls. Not all schools might play w/Hawaii, Fresno & Air Force biggest unknowns for full season
PAC 12 looks like it may get back in.

Citing a source, ESPN's Heather Dinich reported that the Pac-12 could return to play as early as late October if county officials in the location of each program ease restrictions to allow teams to practice.

CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd is hearing from Pac-12 sources that early November is likely a more achievable start date for the league. However, efforts will be made for late October start considering the firm date of the final College Football Playoff Rankings of the season on Dec. 20.

That late-October would potentially match the Pac-12 up with the Big Ten, which announced on Wednesday that it will begin its football season the weekend of Oct. 24.
The PAC is going to shoot for late October to roll with the B1G if it has any dreams of any of their teams making the CFP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much once the B1G decided to jump back in, so would the rest of the holdouts.
My only question really is how the MAC schools can afford it.  That's why I've been unsure of them coming back in.  I think their decision had nothing to do with science, but moreso to do with these schools are barely profitable on football, if at all, and losing non-conference paydays and no ticket sales means even less money coming in.  Even with the Big 10 coming back, those non-conference paydays aren't coming back.

Akron is genuinely on the verge of bankruptcy, and supposedly Kent State isn't far behind.  I'm not gonna say no to football, but I wonder how these schools can afford it.

“I don’t wanna hear health and wellness out of anybody’s mouth. The We Are United players, they have a f****** point. It’s not f****** ping pong. You don’t just open the garage door and go play. I don’t think people know that when the seasons were postponed, the Big Ten and Pac-12 took completely different paths. They kept going like it was still training camp. They kept the same schedule like they were gonna play. We didn’t. Half of our schools couldn’t. Our nose is so f****** far up the Big Ten’s ###. Let’s just do what’s best for the Pac-12. Why do we work out in the summer (usually) if we only need a few weeks?” 
https://theathletic.com/2074355/2020/09/17/pac-12-football-start-date-schedule-coach-concerns/

As a reward for their insolence, Nebraska will start the season playing cross-division opponent OSU... Twice... On the road.  That is also OSU's reward for enlightening the rest of the conference and saving Big 10 football.

[This spot reserved for "Nebraska has opted back out of the season" jokes after their first bad loss.]

“I don’t wanna hear health and wellness out of anybody’s mouth. The We Are United players, they have a f****** point. It’s not f****** ping pong. You don’t just open the garage door and go play. I don’t think people know that when the seasons were postponed, the Big Ten and Pac-12 took completely different paths. They kept going like it was still training camp. They kept the same schedule like they were gonna play. We didn’t. Half of our schools couldn’t. Our nose is so f****** far up the Big Ten’s ###. Let’s just do what’s best for the Pac-12. Why do we work out in the summer (usually) if we only need a few weeks?” 
https://theathletic.com/2074355/2020/09/17/pac-12-football-start-date-schedule-coach-concerns/
Apparently the Pac12 has not only not been practicing, they haven't even been allowed to lift or condition.  I want them to play, but they continue to make asinine decisions every step of the way.

As a reward for their insolence, Nebraska will start the season playing cross-division opponent OSU... Twice... On the road.  That is also OSU's reward for enlightening the rest of the conference and saving Big 10 football.

[This spot reserved for "Nebraska has opted back out of the season" jokes after their first bad loss.]
I hope this is a joke.

Saturday's games:

In a nation starving for college football, imagine still having your team broadcast on ESPN3.
Has ACCN gotten onto Comcast yet?  Looking through the site and I don't see it.  Outside of DTV and Dish, you might not be able to get it in this state.  Is Bright House a sub of charter?  If so, that may be some access at least.

I hope this is a joke.
It does look like Nebraska has OSU week 1.  :shrug:  

The PAC 12 is embarrassing...

Why would they just straight up cancel, instead of pushing back, and waiting to see how everything evolves?  Just as bigger forces are influencing other conferences (SEC, Big12) to move in a certain direction, different forces are influencing the PAC 12 on the left coast.  It's the same approach seen by our politicians.....operate from a position of fear.....financial destruction, no big deal.

It's kind of like the Pac12 network.....it's been a failure because the people running it make poor decisions.

Pretty decent slate of games right now.  Navy with the ball trying to erase a 24-point deficit.  Tulsa driving down 3 at Oklahoma State.  Tie game between Louisiana and Georgia State.

BTW, Desmond Howard this morning called OK State to make the playoffs.  
Over Rated.
clap-clap clap-clap-clap

OK State up by 6 with 5 minutes left

my prediction is Tulsa scores a TD in closing seconds and has to call on kicker who just missed FG.

Georgia Tech trailing UCF at halftime. @Ramblin Wreck is probably deep into a bottle of Old Grand Dad.
Haha.  We got 7 starters out and the true freshmen playing look good.  We pissed away 10 points on turnovers.  This team has a bright future and Collins bringing in better players than we've had in a long time.  I'm just glad to not be watching Navy play in Georgia Tech uniforms

oh

@Brett_McMurphy: Miami junior QB/WR Tate Martell, a transfer from Ohio State, has opted out & won’t play this season for Hurricanes

You guys got to have your fun for a few weeks ... America's Team ™️ is back!  :lmao:

In all seriousness, it's going to be interesting to see what kind of schedule UMass can pull together. Games that took 10-15 years to schedule before are being cobbled together in a week's time. Reportedly they were getting calls about potential games before they had even announced the decision to play this fall.

@DeanBlevins

I'm hearing K-State not confident Covid numbers will allow them to play #Sooners Saturday. My report at 10:20

@news9

After paying his dues, my son gets to finally officially cover Gator football.

@alligatorSports: Football writer @Bfarrell727 breaks down DC Todd Grantham's two-pronged defensive strategy and how this year's roster will deliver in that regard.
https://www.alligator.org/sports/gators-defense-starting-to-take-form/article_03f9d7d0-ebf5-11ea-a8d9-7f3308f28d11.html
So interesting week for my son (UF is at Ole Miss).

Bad news: Due to Covid, they're limiting the Alligator to only one writer in press box per game.

Good news: He got the assignment this weekend.

Bad News: He's driving from Gainesville to Oxford and back by himself.

So interesting week for my son (UF is at Ole Miss).

Bad news: Due to Covid, they're limiting the Alligator to only one writer in press box per game.

Good news: He got the assignment this weekend.

Bad News: He's driving from Gainesville to Oxford and back by himself.
Maybe old Dad should go with him?  Oxford is a wonderful place to be this time of year.  

Users who are viewing this thread