What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 College football thread - It's the offseason, yo. (6 Viewers)

gump said:
Ivy, FCS, even some Group of 5 will follow for sure soon.  But nowhere close to happening yet in P5.
They have to start practicing in a few weeks. Once those get delayed, and they will, it’s over. 

They have to start practicing in a few weeks. Once those get delayed, and they will, it’s over. 
Selfishly, I wish they would pull the plug on stuff sooner rather than later.  I think what the NBA did helped save lives (even in a small way).  If the NBA and NFL play then every basketball and football team will think they can play too.  Like facook, I'm not wanting this but see it as inevitable.

If they modify, first step is conference only season...starting on time for flexibility in-season, or starting a month later.  There is no chance IMO it's moved to Spring in the next few weeks. Part of the challenge is alignment, which is happening mostly at the conference level.

If they modify, first step is conference only season...starting on time for flexibility in-season, or starting a month later.  There is no chance IMO it's moved to Spring in the next few weeks. Part of the challenge is alignment, which is happening mostly at the conference level.
Sucks for the independents, but I see that being the most likely scenario to get the P5 games and a champion without outright canceling the season. 

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein

Ohio State has paused all voluntary workouts due to recent coronavirus testing, per release.

It’ll get moved in early august. There is no chance games kick off in September. 

Of course January will likely be worse than now so that’s not doing anything other than kicking the can. 

Governor McMaster said last week that if there is still a spike that there won't be any college football in the state of SC. 

What if the season gets limited/postponed/cancelled and a team decides to sell tickets to their scrimmages?  :oldunsure:    Obviously that doesn't work if all football activities need to be halted because of a major outbreak on the team.

Not a fan of the talk of potentially moving the season to the spring.  I'd rather shelve it and pick up again next fall.  

Not a fan of the talk of potentially moving the season to the spring.  I'd rather shelve it and pick up again next fall.  
A lot of these athletic departments won’t be able to pay their bills if there is no season. And as big of an fsu/cfb fan that I am, it’s kind of delicious. They all overpaid coaches, ADs and built bloated facilities for years instead of paying the players and stocking money aside and now the chickens have come home. I kinda love it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of these athletic departments won’t be able to pay their bills if there is no season. And as big of an fsu/cfb fan that I am, it’s kind of delicious. They all overpaid coaches, ADs and built bloated facilities for years instead of paying the players and stocking money aside and now the chickens have come home. I kinda love it. 
Good point.  They'll try to recoup money somehow.  Seems if all conferences move to spring... what happens next fall?  Short spring season with a short break in the summer to be back at practice next July/Aug?

I think what the NBA did helped save lives (even in a small way). 
Absolutely. The NBA, and to their credit the NHL, saved lives by pulling the plug. When they couldn't go, it made our country pause given not the importance of the entertainment, but what they were foregoing to do so.

I wish other leadership had acted similarly. 

The facilities arms race has been ridiculous for years.

As much as I will miss college sports, I don't feel too terribly bad for them - everyone is being impacted by this.  There's going to be people homeless and starving to death this Fall and while I'd enjoy the distraction I just can't bring myself to care.  Hopefully this helps all of us get our priorities in line a little bit better going forward.

This posts sounds high-handed and obnoxious and I probably deserve some ridicule for it because I KNOW I'm hypocritical when it comes to this stuff.

As much as I will miss college sports, I don't feel too terribly bad for them - everyone is being impacted by this.  There's going to be people homeless and starving to death this Fall and while I'd enjoy the distraction I just can't bring myself to care.  Hopefully this helps all of us get our priorities in line a little bit better going forward.

This posts sounds high-handed and obnoxious and I probably deserve some ridicule for it because I KNOW I'm hypocritical when it comes to this stuff.
Nah it’s spot on man. These athletic departments can piss off. My beloved FSU included. They’ve been a money machine for 40 years then have to scrap 17M together to fire Willie — think about how bad this will be for them. Well deserved. Total money mismanagement for decades. 

Good point.  They'll try to recoup money somehow.  Seems if all conferences move to spring... what happens next fall?  Short spring season with a short break in the summer to be back at practice next July/Aug?
Imo they’ll get it back by expanding the college football playoff in 2022 instead of 2026. Will drum up big bucks assuming ESPN agrees to do it. 

Not really. I love sports (especially pro football) and watching them charge ahead without a real plan is disheartening. We take sports way too seriously in our country and the points you make are more than fair. 

The bigger problem for American universities is getting kids on campus.  Football helps that, and can help build academic facilities, increase out of state attendance, increase average test scores coming in, etc.

The bigger problem for American universities is getting kids on campus.  Football helps that, and can help build academic facilities, increase out of state attendance, increase average test scores coming in, etc.
Of course. It’s incredibly valuable. FSU’s caliber of student jumped after their 2013 title. But most of these athletic departments have still been horribly mismanaged. 

I really hope there is a season but won’t feel bad for anybody but the players if there isn’t. 

Of course. It’s incredibly valuable. FSU’s caliber of student jumped after their 2013 title. But most of these athletic departments have still been horribly mismanaged. 

No doubt there...hard to understand how most don't turn a profit with their revenue.  Except Auburn, who is still paying Terry Bowden ( @FDAS ).  ;)  

Obviously I could be wrong here, but why would the Ivy league dictate anything?  The pressure to play is way greater in the Power 5 schools.  

Obviously I could be wrong here, but why would the Ivy league dictate anything?  The pressure to play is way greater in the Power 5 schools.  
Ivy League tries to symbolically lead the way in everything collegiate. I was just talking to my father last night and told him it won't run college football. That decision will be made for the SEC because of the virus rather than following an Ivy lead. If you're hearing that Ivy League leads the way in this, you're spending too much time paying attention to the narrative of the journalists, always inclined to lick at the teats of the Ivys. 

No doubt there...hard to understand how most don't turn a profit with their revenue.  Except Auburn, who is still paying Terry Bowden ( @FDAS ).  ;)  
They don’t turn a profit bc they don’t want to - otherwise their argument to not pay players goes away. So they dumb it in facilities and coach salaries. Screw them. 

Ivy League tries to symbolically lead the way in everything collegiate. I was just talking to my father last night and told him it won't run college football. That decision will be made for the SEC because of the virus rather than following an Ivy lead. If you're hearing that Ivy League leads the way in this, you're spending too much time paying attention to the narrative of the journalists, always inclined to lick at the teats of the Ivys. 
Yeah, even the power 5 playing with nobody in the stands still brings in significant TV revenue

Doesn't Stanford have gazillions of dollars?  They are cutting 11 Olympic sports because they're out of money?  If they are,  almost everyone else will be soon too

Doesn't Stanford have gazillions of dollars?  They are cutting 11 Olympic sports because they're out of money?  If they are,  almost everyone else will be soon too
They have like a $2 billion endowment.  They're not out of money, not close.  Just don't want to spend it.

I'm not sure it's a direct jump from Ivy League closing up shop to the entire season going away but I think it's a big influence.  Ivy League may not influence a Alabama, Florida or Texas A&M but I guarantee it does a Northwestern, Maryland and some others.  Once the dominoes begin falling the decision may be taken out of the hands of the SEC schools.

They have like a $2 billion endowment.  They're not out of money, not close.  Just don't want to spend it.
It’s like 20 billion I believe and they can’t spend it on whatever they want. It’s earmarked for academic research or whatever the person giving it what’s it to be for. 

gump said:
Ivy, FCS, even some Group of 5 will follow for sure soon.  But nowhere close to happening yet in P5.
Carnegie Mellon called off its fall sports.  Granted, it's D3 President's Athletic Conference...

Rest of P5 will follow, then they decide if they start on time with flexibility or start late.

Rest of P5 will follow, then they decide if they start on time with flexibility or start late.
That would be a pretty decent blow to non-P5 if every conference went that route, many of the little fish rely on those P5 paydays..  There's been talk of superconferences for awhile, with the P5 pulling away from the other FBS conferences, maybe this is the start.

So would OOC games for this year just be flat cancelled, or pushed back a year?

For instance, my Ducks were supposed to host Ohio State in an home and home 20-21.  Does that become home and home 21-22 or do the Ducks just go to Columbus next year and that's it?  Interesting situation.

8-9 games instead of 12 is going to be a big hit on the tv revenues too. And while there is likely no chance of a playoff or even a full season, how would they pick that when everybody is sticking to their own leagues? 

Pac-12 supposedly doing the same thing.

What the hell is Notre Dame gonna do this season?  This would mean Wisconsin, USC, and Stanford off their schedule.  If every P5 does this, their remaining schedule is literally just Navy* and Western Michigan.

Pac-12 supposedly doing the same thing.

What the hell is Notre Dame gonna do this season?  This would mean Wisconsin, USC, and Stanford off their schedule.  If every P5 does this, their remaining schedule is literally just Navy* and Western Michigan.
Acc is about to call it too. Said they would help Notre dame. 

This is so much like March. Ivy League cancels, other conferences scramble with some bat #### crazy plans, then ultimately cancel because there is literally no hope of playing. 

That would be a pretty decent blow to non-P5 if every conference went that route, many of the little fish rely on those P5 paydays..  There's been talk of superconferences for awhile, with the P5 pulling away from the other FBS conferences, maybe this is the start.
This is definitely escalating the break. The NCAA doesn’t seem to be leading anything.

This is so much like March. Ivy League cancels, other conferences scramble with some bat #### crazy plans, then ultimately cancel because there is literally no hope of playing. 
I just don’t see how they can save the season.  What happens when these 20-30 player/coaches outbreak happens during the season?  I will say a glimmer of hope is how well European football has gone but their cases counts have come way down.  

I just don’t see how they can save the season.  What happens when these 20-30 player/coaches outbreak happens during the season?  I will say a glimmer of hope is how well European football has gone but their cases counts have come way down.  
Yea there’s like 5000x more cases here than Europe. They are nowhere near as stupid as we are and it’s going to cost us the best sport. Shame. 

Per Twitter, Big 10 expected to announce conference games only this fall, no non-conference games for Big 10 members?
Michael David Smith@MichaelDavSmith·1h

The commissioner of the Big Ten just said this on Big Ten Network: "We may not have sports in the fall. We may not have a college football season."

Users who are viewing this thread