What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Office Home Furnishings and Renovations (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I am now fully working out of the house and my wife is going to be home through the rest of the year 2 Days a week, other 3 she is at her office at the hospital. They are equipping her with a home computer and I have 1-2 laptops etc...

-I'm 6-3 and would love to own a Herman Miller Stool and a stand up bamboo desk. I'd also like $2,000 to fall into my lap so I know this is an expensive purchase if I go that route. My wife on the other hand is a foot shorter and we are going to be "sharing" the office area which is now what used to be the dining room where we never sat down to eat anyways. 

-If you went out and redid the home office or have purchased this kind of furniture recently I would like to hear your thoughts. I used to buy an office depot chair for home to surf the internet and they never last, not the ones under $200 and they have crummy warranties. The Millers come with a 12-year warranty although I'm sure it has limits. 

Anything you got that would make things easier around the crib to run business I would welcome. We are basically taking the living room which again we never sat in and reworking that as it sits wide open to the dining room. We are going to close that off by shifting the couch around but we are now going to be in an Office/Home I would say. Bedrooms and the Den/Entertainment area will remain as much like a "House" as possible but I would say the Dining Room/Office-Kitchen-Living Room is looking more like we're setting it up to run a business. It's odd but at the same time kind of exciting. Is anyone having this reshaping of their homes, offices, careers, etc...

We had been slow to spend money for obvious reasons right now but we see. a lot of opportunity right now in the market while chaos has many in a vice grip. I hope some of you see the same opportunity to move ahead and I would have confidence in yourself that you can.

What'cha got?  

I work from home full time, my office is 2 rooms in the finished basement. 1 room is my office and the other is set up more of a lounge with a comfortable chair and reading light so I can escape my "office" when I want to read or think. It helps because I dont have to technically leave my office without actually leaving it and running into the family or some other distraction. The rooms are separated by a 1/2 wall so it makes the space feel large.  

I have this standing desk and love it. I got the top for a few bucks from Ikea. If you get a standing desk be sure and get a mat like this, it helps so much. 

For good cheaper chairs, check out Wayfair or Overstock. Yes we would all love the Herman Miller, but if you are outfitting the whole office now, I'd say get a cheaper chair with your eyes set of the nicer one down the road. 

The other thing I would suggest is good files storage and places where you can "put work away" Esp if you are taking over main living space for this, the last thing you want to do is see a pile of papers or work laying around on your off time. You need to draw a hard line between "home" and "office" and seeing a lot of that stuff out will blur that line. 

glvsav37 said:
I work from home full time, my office is 2 rooms in the finished basement. 1 room is my office and the other is set up more of a lounge with a comfortable chair and reading light so I can escape my "office" when I want to read or think. It helps because I dont have to technically leave my office without actually leaving it and running into the family or some other distraction. The rooms are separated by a 1/2 wall so it makes the space feel large.  

I have this standing desk and love it. I got the top for a few bucks from Ikea. If you get a standing desk be sure and get a mat like this, it helps so much. 

For good cheaper chairs, check out Wayfair or Overstock. Yes we would all love the Herman Miller, but if you are outfitting the whole office now, I'd say get a cheaper chair with your eyes set of the nicer one down the road. 

The other thing I would suggest is good files storage and places where you can "put work away" Esp if you are taking over main living space for this, the last thing you want to do is see a pile of papers or work laying around on your off time. You need to draw a hard line between "home" and "office" and seeing a lot of that stuff out will blur that line. 
Can't thank you enough. Never thought about the mat, that sounds perfect. Even Amazon it's hard to keep a 5-Star review over 2,700+ so it must be pretty awesome. I have flat feet/no arches and standing take a toll but I know sitting hunched over for 8+ hours does far more damage. I want to be able to go between both standing as I want and also sitting for things like typing. I've heard good things about Wayfair, they have some ones made by Steelcase that might do the job for now. 

Can't thank you enough. Never thought about the mat, that sounds perfect. Even Amazon it's hard to keep a 5-Star review over 2,700+ so it must be pretty awesome. I have flat feet/no arches and standing take a toll but I know sitting hunched over for 8+ hours does far more damage. I want to be able to go between both standing as I want and also sitting for things like typing. I've heard good things about Wayfair, they have some ones made by Steelcase that might do the job for now. 
NP...the mat is great b/c it is like a strong memory foam material, so just squishy enough to be comfortable but not enough that you feel like you are on a trampoline. Plus (as you may have read) the sides are slanted so you can stretch your calves out and a ball in the middle to kinda massage the bottom of your foot. When i'm not using it standing, I just slide it under the desk and use it as a foot rest/cushion when sitting. I am so spoiled that I cant work with shoes on anymore.

I can't take full credit, another FBG recommended it to me but I don't remember who.

The best thing about Wayfair is that they have awesome customer service and rarely make you send anything back if you dont like it. I've never tested it, but my MIL is insanely picky and can be a bit of a PIA to customer service people (she's kind of made a career out of it) and she swears by how helpful they are.  

GL

Ministry of Pain said:
I am now fully working out of the house and my wife is going to be home through the rest of the year 2 Days a week, other 3 she is at her office at the hospital. They are equipping her with a home computer and I have 1-2 laptops etc...

-I'm 6-3 and would love to own a Herman Miller Stool and a stand up bamboo desk. I'd also like $2,000 to fall into my lap so I know this is an expensive purchase if I go that route. My wife on the other hand is a foot shorter and we are going to be "sharing" the office area which is now what used to be the dining room where we never sat down to eat anyways. 

-If you went out and redid the home office or have purchased this kind of furniture recently I would like to hear your thoughts. I used to buy an office depot chair for home to surf the internet and they never last, not the ones under $200 and they have crummy warranties. The Millers come with a 12-year warranty although I'm sure it has limits. 

Anything you got that would make things easier around the crib to run business I would welcome. We are basically taking the living room which again we never sat in and reworking that as it sits wide open to the dining room. We are going to close that off by shifting the couch around but we are now going to be in an Office/Home I would say. Bedrooms and the Den/Entertainment area will remain as much like a "House" as possible but I would say the Dining Room/Office-Kitchen-Living Room is looking more like we're setting it up to run a business. It's odd but at the same time kind of exciting. Is anyone having this reshaping of their homes, offices, careers, etc...

We had been slow to spend money for obvious reasons right now but we see. a lot of opportunity right now in the market while chaos has many in a vice grip. I hope some of you see the same opportunity to move ahead and I would have confidence in yourself that you can.

What'cha got?  
Since you mentioned your wife works at a hospital, make sure you check on all her HIPAA requirements.  She'll need a locking storage cabinet.  Maybe even a door on the 'office'.  We've run into this stuff as an issue as my wife works in the medical field and is full time WFH.  

I'm going to  :popcorn:  the rest of this.  I've been working at home for 3 months now.  I'm ready to upgrade my work space as well.  I used to WFH once/week.  I think once the office opens up I'll have the flexibility to do 3ish days/week.  

Since you mentioned your wife works at a hospital, make sure you check on all her HIPAA requirements.  She'll need a locking storage cabinet.  Maybe even a door on the 'office'.  We've run into this stuff as an issue as my wife works in the medical field and is full time WFH.  

I'm going to  :popcorn:  the rest of this.  I've been working at home for 3 months now.  I'm ready to upgrade my work space as well.  I used to WFH once/week.  I think once the office opens up I'll have the flexibility to do 3ish days/week.  
Mrs actually is in the philanthropy side and is a Director over the Foundation. It's painful for some in the audience 😉  but we raise a lot of money for the hospital and I'm glad to know some of this. I'm blessed because if she were a Nurse my head would explode. She is somewhat shielded but we have to also try and raise money thru a very down turn right now, not always easy. Much like 37, thank you and I appreciate you sharing your experiences. I hope we don't have to take those measures but since we're redoing things why not? Better to be safe than sorry right now, never has that saying seemed more relevant than the moment. Props to your family for working in health care, very difficult field at the moment. 

👍

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread