What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Porta Potty in Yard (1 Viewer)

jon_mx

Footballguy
So Vectren Energy is replacing gas lines in my area, and they erected a porta potty on the easement between the side walk and the street.  I have a 6' cedar fence around my back yard and the porta potty is located on the side a few feet behind my fence.  It was not a big deal, they had to do work in the area.  They put a city sticker on it, implying the city had placed it there.  I was not concerned when they put it up and figured it would be gone by spring.  Well June is here and it is still up.  Even worse it seems to have become a place where the workers feel they can throw trash.  There use to be a bucket for trash, now they just throw it on the grass.  We have the nicest landscaping in the area and maintain our property very well.  I have been picking up trash for the last couple of months.  I called the city to complain, and was informed they did not put it up, but Vectren did.  My initial call to Vectren has not received any action. 

I suppose I should have been documenting all the trash and crap, but will start now.  It seems they may have a couple years of work in the area.  I do not want this thing next to my house for two years.  And I really don't want to clean up their mess.  Not sure what the best approach is, and if there is anything I can legally do since it is technically in the street easement.  At least I assume it is.  Bill them for trash clean up?  Become a very squeaky wheel?   

So Vectren Energy is replacing gas lines in my area, and they erected a porta potty on the easement between the side walk and the street.  I have a 6' cedar fence around my back yard and the porta potty is located on the side a few feet behind my fence.  It was not a big deal, they had to do work in the area.  They put a city sticker on it, implying the city had placed it there.  I was not concerned when they put it up and figured it would be gone by spring.  Well June is here and it is still up.  Even worse it seems to have become a place where the workers feel they can throw trash.  There use to be a bucket for trash, now they just throw it on the grass.  We have the nicest landscaping in the area and maintain our property very well.  I have been picking up trash for the last couple of months.  I called the city to complain, and was informed they did not put it up, but Vectren did.  My initial call to Vectren has not received any action. 

I suppose I should have been documenting all the trash and crap, but will start now.  It seems they may have a couple years of work in the area.  I do not want this thing next to my house for two years.  And I really don't want to clean up their mess.  Not sure what the best approach is, and if there is anything I can legally do since it is technically in the street easement.  At least I assume it is.  Bill them for trash clean up?  Become a very squeaky wheel?   
Pictures on the Vectren Energy Facebook page ought to do the trick.

Pictures on the Vectren Energy Facebook page ought to do the trick.
As sad as it sounds, this is the best way to get action. No one there cares about it until you start broadcasting their dirty laundry on social media. Also tag your local mayor, town supervisor, etc as well. 

Do you have a truck, atv or lawn tractor?  Pull it to the next lot over...or further...

If all else fails get out the water hose and hose down the toilet paper roll every night, or pee on it. 

I know a guy who had one of these left on a road construction site next to his house for the longest time.

So one year at Christmas he decorated the port-a-potty with Christmas lights and dubbed it the Magic Potty. He set it up a city attraction on Facebook, put out barrels to collect food, and 3 years later the port-a-potty company delivers one to his yard for free every Christmas and he raises a ton of food for the local food bank. People stop by, take pictures, post it on the Facebook page - the whole bit.

I know a guy who had one of these left on a road construction site next to his house for the longest time.

So one year at Christmas he decorated the port-a-potty with Christmas lights and dubbed it the Magic Potty. He set it up a city attraction on Facebook, put out barrels to collect food, and 3 years later the port-a-potty company delivers one to his yard for free every Christmas and he raises a ton of food for the local food bank. People stop by, take pictures, post it on the Facebook page - the whole bit.
No ####?

Do you ever see the workers? If so, I'd think the best way is just ask them to stop trashing up your yard. That's the best way to deal with most things. 

Although, I'm a little confused about the layout. So, this porta potty is outside your 6' cedar fence. I'm not sure how that ends with them throwing trash near it, but on your property. If it's on your property, this seems simple, but it sounds like it's not.

If talking to them doesn't work, your best bet may well putting a trash can out there (or bucket). It sucks, but it beats the alternative you're dealing with now. Again, if asking them to stop doesn't work. 

It's the same reason businesses have trash cans outside. It sucks, and in a perfect world, people wouldn't throw trash on somebody else's property. But they do and always will. Providing a trashcan makes dealing with other people's bad manners a little easier.

I can pretty well guarantee you that Vectren Energy doesn't give a ####. You can complain, and post pics on Facebook, but they don't care. Their business will be just fine whether your yard is littered or not because you and other homeowners don't pay them.

This is all up to the workers and you. Maybe the city, or gas company, or whoever is paying them to put in these gas lines. But even then, they care that the job gets done on time at the right price, not your yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although, I'm a little confused about the layout. So, this porta potty is outside your 6' cedar fence. I'm not sure how that ends with them throwing trash near it, but on your property. If it's on your property, this seems simple, but it sounds like it's n
The tax strip

The devil's strip

The part of the yard that's not technically yours but you have to keep mowed to avoid city fines.

Users who are viewing this thread