What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

N95 masks-Can you even get one? (2 Viewers)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Greetings Everyone, 

-I want to keep this pretty simple and straight forward. I'm not here to debate the politics or whatever might be behind this PPP that is dividing the country into groups. I simply want to know where I can find these masks and how to order them, please.  

-Every place I walk into is different, here in South Florida and the Treasure Coast, it's a mess and some places are under one set of rules and then another is going by a different set. Some take out places want you to enter with a mask and you might not even know that until you arrive. I haven't been eating out but I am limited in what I can comfortably do until I locate a few of these masks. 

-Mrs works in a hospital, I have loads of the paper blues but that's not what I want as a permanent fix. 

-Is there a way to make your own? 

There are several reasons to wear these masks and the most obvious is for health concerns. I was reading that talking or the art of speaking is what spreads this thing pretty easily indoors out in public. 

1. Health-

2. Social Acceptance/Local Government-Do you really want to be asked not to come inside somewhere that you really want to be? Think about traveling in the not too distant future this summer on vacation and you are in a city where they take their masks seriously...you need to perhaps think of your own well being and safety even if you are not the least bit scared of contracting this, and quite honestly I'm not that scared of getting the CV-19 but I want to live my life and move forward. Maybe the masks will no longer be needed in a few months but so what? There's going to be a next time, you can almost bank on it. Why not try and stock up on some of these if you can even get them which I doubt highly right now. 

3. I don't know what you want to call this next reason but I clearly was reading that not only do you need N95 Mask that is fitted but also a plastic shield or goggles plus earbuds or ear plugs. Now imagine I am able to put on a custom made "Star Wars" mask, then a set of Maui Jims/Ray Bans because that's my face shield in Florida and then some earbuds and basically I can make myself look like a terrorist and there isn't much anyone can do about it because I am protecting my health and those around me because I like to talk a lot so for everyone's safety I don't want to spread germs. Now I am simply trying to make a point and the best way i can explain this is people get to have "emotional support dogs", MOP might need an "emotional support mask and shield" which will give me a feeling of security throughout my visit to wherever I may be going 😉 

I have a mask story I would like to end with to show you I simply want to be on the Team. I was down in Broward a few weeks ago, I live on the Palm Beach/Martin County line of Jupiter and things are lot looser around here I would say and you have the best of both worlds. I was down in South Broward and I stopped in at the pizza joint I went to growing up with my dad. When I arrived I realized I could not enter the restaurant and then I looked around and I was the only person NOT wearing a mask OUTSIDE I might add and I suddenly realized I could be in trouble. That's about the time the doors opened and out stepped a short round man carrying pizzas to his car and he said "Buddy, come with me. I think you could use a mask and I got a car full of them, I'm going to give you a couple free ones on me." I got his business card, he works in the medical field of course and we now network together thru LinkedIn, terrific guy. 

If you are selling them by chance I would love to buy some or if you know where to get them, that would be helpful as well. 

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have your wife take some from her work.  Also after she gets you a.mask go-to her hospital and say you need TB mask fitted for such and such Drs office and they should do it.

1) Travel back in time to January 

2) Listen to me and several others on here

They were readily available for 35 cents each for NIOSH rated N95's on eBay. 

When (not if) the post pandemic supply glut hits, stock up for the next go-around. 

I find all masks that I have worn extremely uncomfortable.  My ears are killing me after 5 minutes of wearing a mask.  What brand let's you adjust them to stretch further?

Icon mentioned this so I got a few for an emergency.  Don't feel they make sense for day to day and they expire.  

These make almost no sense for anyone not in extended close contact with a contagious aerosol.  Also it isn't any N95 mask, it is specific models hospitals use (1860s/1870+ common).  K95s are not acceptable in any of my hospital facilities in TX (not one).

Even then, a significant (large) % of people fail the fit test as well.  Most of us lie about the test to get the certificate (I don't taste it I swear!). 

I don’t think the difference between an N95 and the mask you already have should be a dealbreaker. You certainly don’t want to go out with no mask over the difference between being 99% safe and 99.9% safe. The comfort aspect I understand, but I don’t think an n95 will solve that either. Order what you want if you’re in it for the long haul, but wear what you have in the mean time. 
Thanks for at least caring. I have noticed a lot of people that I know are low risk doing it anyway to be “on the team” and I respect that. 

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/whats-the-difference-between-n95-and-kn95-masks/

Bottom line KN tests you need to run a fit test before using, and the N style you do not.  
Not for any type of healthcare capacity.  You need a fit test for the N95's, and K is not an acceptable alternative regardless.

eta - I see now.. to clarify your post it says THE MANUFACTURER does not have to run a fit test on humans:

1. To be certified as a KN95 mask, the Chinese government requires the manufacturer to run mask fit tests on real humans with ≤ 8% leakage. The N95 mask standard does not require manufacturers to run fit tests.
You absolutely need a fit test to know if it fits you individually.  As I mentioned above, a LOT of people fail this fit test.

Not for any type of healthcare capacity.  You need a fit test for the N95's, and K is not an acceptable alternative regardless.

eta - I see now.. to clarify your post it says THE MANUFACTURER does not have to run a fit test on humans:

You absolutely need a fit test to know if it fits you individually.  As I mentioned above, a LOT of people fail this fit test.
I think the author implies that the user should be taking the fit test?  I don't really follow how if the mfg does this if it would add value to the user, where this is not required for a N style mask?  

I think the author implies that the user should be taking the fit test?  I don't really follow how if the mfg does this if it would add value to the user, where this is not required for a N style mask?  
It reads pretty clearly the manufacturer has to fit test on humans.  Maybe I am missing something?  It specifies China requires it for manufacturers (K), but US does not (N).

Regardless.. these masks come in one size, they won't fit many people properly.  Only way to know is test.

Buddies with beards lie to pass.  I have to lie on the talking part of the test (it fits and I can't taste anything on every other part of the test - I start talking and the pungent sweetness gets in).  Etc.

3. I don't know what you want to call this next reason but I clearly was reading that not only do you need N95 Mask that is fitted but also a plastic shield or goggles plus earbuds or ear plugs.
This, you gotta post.

I see bucksoh and matuski in this thread, so you may get countervailing advice ... but if you're asking me, you absolutely do not need a fitted N95 to do general running about (groceries, take-out, retail, getting gas, etc.).

This, you gotta post.

I see bucksoh and matuski in this thread, so you may get countervailing advice ... but if you're asking me, you absolutely do not need a fitted N95 to do general running about (groceries, take-out, retail, getting gas, etc.).
Definitely not.  

Hat size is 7 1/4 or maybe 7 3/8.  I am genuinely curious if any one else is having the same problem.  They are painful to wear.  I wore a K 95 mask a few days ago and it was the worst.
That is my hat size. My cloth earloop mask is probably a skosh too small (it folds the top of my earlobes out at a 90-degree angle), but I can deal with it.

The person who made the mask is a family friend, and has made some custom jobs for her 6'8" brother-in-law. I plan to ask for one of those big masks soon, but I keep putting it off.

That is my hat size. My cloth earloop mask is probably a skosh too small (it folds the top of my earlobes out at a 90-degree angle), but I can deal with it.

The person who made the mask is a family friend, and has made some custom jobs for her 6'8" brother-in-law. I plan to ask for one of those big masks soon, but I keep putting it off.
I am 6'8" and it folds my ears out pretty bad.  Sounds like I need custom masks.

Have your wife take some from her work.  Also after she gets you a.mask go-to her hospital and say you need TB mask fitted for such and such Drs office and they should do it.
Yes! Steal masks from a hospital for personal use. A truly classy solution.

Can I assume I can also find out out "protesting" at a ####'s Sporting Goods store packing your bag with stolen items?

I am 6'8" and it folds my ears out pretty bad.  Sounds like I need custom masks.
Do you already know of a source for sewn earloop masks? Or would you want a recommendation? Can PM if your interested.

Wait -- how can an earloop mask be an N95 or a KN95? I thought fit-tested *95 masks needed to have two elastic straps going around the entire head? (Pic 1) (Video)
Not sure, the box and mask say KN95 printed on it.  
... that makes me really dubious of those particular masks in general. Probably fine as source-control face coverings, but no way can an earloop mask protect the wearer like a fit-tested N95/KN95.

All that said ... you likely don't need an *95 mask anyway. Assuming no COVID patients in the household, and that you don't treat patients on the job.

... that makes me really dubious of those particular masks in general. Probably fine as source-control face coverings, but no way can an earloop mask protect the wearer like a fit-tested N95/KN95.

All that said ... you likely don't need an *95 mask anyway. Assuming no COVID patients in the household, and that you don't treat patients on the job.
I mean that's why I'm saving mine, in the unlikely event I have one + case in the house and somehow test -.  

Even then, a significant (large) % of people fail the fit test as well.  Most of us lie about the test to get the certificate (I don't taste it I swear!). 
When I went through OSHA 40-hr training they used something akin to tear gas so there wasn't any real way to fudge it. Not the stuff the police use but if you got a whiff of it you'd hack & tear up pretty good.

When I went through OSHA 40-hr training they used something akin to tear gas so there wasn't any real way to fudge it. Not the stuff the police use but if you got a whiff of it you'd hack & tear up pretty good.
Well I'm in luck then, police are using tear gas all the time now!

BRB, gonna test my masks.

Harry Manback said:

Can I assume I can also find out out "protesting" at a ####'s Sporting Goods store packing your bag with stolen items?
Nowhere. Did I say steal.  Use some common sense.  I know I give FBGs to much credit of having any and for that it is on me.

Doug B said:
This, you gotta post.

Hi Doug, thanks for the post. 

I was reading that in order to properly block or safely protect that one truly needs more than a mask. I have read it can be passed thru the eyes and even ears, if that's not true I would be glad to know. I see them wear face shields in the hospitals. 

I know folks wonder why i don't just get them from the hospital but I thought when this started that we were conserving them for the hospitals because they were short and most regular citizens didn't need them. 

Harry Manback said:

TY, I knew someone would wonder why I am looking for them since it would seem I have direct access but I thought we were not to take them away from the doctors and nurses. 

TY, I knew someone would wonder why I am looking for them since it would seem I have direct access but I thought we were not to take them away from the doctors and nurses. 
If you understand why they are reserved for those specific roles, why would you want one?

beer 30 said:
Yeah, it’s an irritant spray. Also, turns out that the irritant spray is a potential carcinogen, so that’s fun. We use a bitter spray called bitrex for that reason.

And yeah, you only need to go through the fit testing to realize how much of a difference the right size and proper wearing make.

Nowhere. Did I say steal.  Use some common sense.  I know I give FBGs to much credit of having any and for that it is on me.
If you were capable of intelligent thought You wouldn’t need it spelled out that “take” = “steal”. 

Were you proposing his wife “borrow” them? Do you think the hospital sells them? 

Do you “take” supplies from work and convince yourself you aren’t a thief?

If you understand why they are reserved for those specific roles, why would you want one?
-Instead of saying something like "Good of you to leave the free supply at the hospital alone for the doctors, entering the free market to purchase your own"...but you didn't. 

Why would someone want to have a PPP who is constantly around hospitals and fundraising for the hospital which is MILLIONS short now for their budget, furloughed 50 people including the CIO...I know you didn't mean it the way you asked it Mat but it's kinda good people see this side as well. 

I would buy one for me and donate one to the hospital, already thought about that.

You truly are quite the fool, by take it means asking your supervisor, take as in once his wife uses a n95 mask she can bring it home. Look up the definition fool.  It doesn't involve stealing.   Lol you thinking you're intelligent.  You probably take a dump in the toilet and dig it out with your hands.
Not surprising a scumbag will lie to even themselves to justify their behavior. Good luck in prison.

I missed where you suggested she pay for them. Could you clear up how that process goes? ... for the class

You truly are quite the fool, by take it means asking your supervisor, take as in once his wife uses a n95 mask she can bring it home. Look up the definition fool.  It doesn't involve stealing.   Lol you thinking you're intelligent.  You probably take a dump in the toilet and dig it out with your hands.
This isn't very excellent 

Some people just want to watch the world burn

Users who are viewing this thread