What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hotels during COVID (1 Viewer)

wlwiles

Footballguy
How does the FFA feel about staying in hotels right now?  I drive a decent bit for work, pre-COVID I averaged 16 hrs per week driving and would spend 1-2 nights a week in hotel.  During the lockdown I mainly worked from home, wasn't allowed into most customer facilities, but now as things open back up I'm driving more to make it home at night when crashing at a hotel would be much easier.  Anybody stayed in one recently?  Am I being overly cautious? Any particular chains to try to get into or avoid? 

obviously, restrictions on hotels & resorts will vary by region. here's a statement from our local Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn:

"We currently live in a world that is changing rapidly – by the day and by the hour. As we navigate through these times of change and uncertainty, we do so with the safety of both our loyal and valued guests and employees as our highest priority. We must support our local authorities as they work to halt the spread of COVID-19. And so, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily close the doors of our hotel, this includes Santé, 38 Degrees North, Spa Café as well as Willow Steam Spa.  We are currently accepting reservations for stays from July 1, 2020, at that time resort offerings and amenities may vary subject to local Sonoma County/State of California and CDC recommendations. 

This certainly isn’t goodbye, it’s farewell for now. We’ll be in touch with updates through Facebook, Instagram and our website, to ensure that our dedicated community is informed, connected and supported through these trying times. We’ll be back as soon as we can, and look forward to welcoming each of you in the near future!"

depending where you are and where you might be staying, your decision may have been made for you already. 

You're not likely to get Covid in a hotel.  It is spread in the air, not from surfaces.  If you're worried, having a door that opened up to the outside instead of a hallway would virtually eliminate whatever small risk there is.

I did 3 nights in May.

First night I wiped down door knobs and surfaces with a chlorox wipe.  Because my wife made me.  :lol:

Last 2 nights, same as ever.  Hotels in TX surprisingly full-ish.

I stayed in one several times throughout April and May.  I brought sanitizing wipes and got all the hotspots like handles, light switches, elevator buttons, and the remote.   Social distancing was easy in the public areas since the hotel was pretty empty.  The only concern I'd have now that occupancy is up would be the elevator.  

I just spent 2 nights at hotel in Vancouver this week. 

could smell the bleach in the common areas where they  constantly wiped down .
besides the usual paper work , I had to give my name and number for contact tracing separately

I also picked up some bleach beforehand and when I got into the suite , I wiped down all the areas that I would come into contact with. just to be on the safe side  

obviously, restrictions on hotels & resorts will vary by region. here's a statement from our local Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn:

"We currently live in a world that is changing rapidly – by the day and by the hour. As we navigate through these times of change and uncertainty, we do so with the safety of both our loyal and valued guests and employees as our highest priority. We must support our local authorities as they work to halt the spread of COVID-19. And so, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily close the doors of our hotel, this includes Santé, 38 Degrees North, Spa Café as well as Willow Steam Spa.  We are currently accepting reservations for stays from July 1, 2020, at that time resort offerings and amenities may vary subject to local Sonoma County/State of California and CDC recommendations. 

This certainly isn’t goodbye, it’s farewell for now. We’ll be in touch with updates through Facebook, Instagram and our website, to ensure that our dedicated community is informed, connected and supported through these trying times. We’ll be back as soon as we can, and look forward to welcoming each of you in the near future!"
Guess I'm not using that $200 gift card I've been sitting on anytime soon.....

Full disclosure--I rarely fly--so when I comment on hotel stays--I'm talking about road trips.  I have not stayed in a hotel yet since covid --but my plan for when I do is to use my UV-C lamps that have timers on them to sanitize any hotel room that I stay in moving forward. I purchased five of these lamps for my workplace and five for my home. I also ordered a few 12 foot long extension cords and with 4-5 lights I can sanitize  our 450 square foot showroom at work in about 15 minutes.  Between that and sanitizing wipes--thats enough to make me feel comfortable to stay in one in regards to the room.  I'd still be weary about the social distancing aspect in the lobby and elevators though. If you would be staying at smaller hotels--I'd probably request rooms on the first floor to avoid elevators and such. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Stayed in several in late March and early April in Wisconsin and Minnesota.  Only a handful of guests at each hotel.  I guess I might be more worried now that things are starting to open back up and there are more guests.  :shrug:  

I like the fact that with Marriott Bonvoy (in many hotels, not all), I can use the app / Bluetooth to check-in and open my room. Don't have to interact with anyone if I don't want to.
That's a nice benefit in any environment. 

Something to get used to with the chain hotels is the likely end of the buffet-style breakfasts, but that's a small price to pay for safety.

That's a nice benefit in any environment. 

Something to get used to with the chain hotels is the likely end of the buffet-style breakfasts, but that's a small price to pay for safety.
For the budget chains, those were crap anyway. I would usually skip the buffet if I was staying in a Fairfield or lower because it just wasn't worth it. Powdered eggs, the cheapest protein they could find....  :X

For the budget chains, those were crap anyway. I would usually skip the buffet if I was staying in a Fairfield or lower because it just wasn't worth it. Powdered eggs, the cheapest protein they could find....  :X
True - was thinking more of the Hiltons and Marriotts of the world though. Depending on the sub-chain of these behemoths, the buffets were sometimes pretty good. 

they were a big benefit when traveling with my son's hockey team. Easy access for a bunch of 10 year old kids to grab something quick before running off to the rink instead of having to go and sit down somewhere. 

they were a big benefit when traveling with my son's hockey team. Easy access for a bunch of 10 year old kids to grab something quick before running off to the rink instead of having to go and sit down somewhere. 
Yeah--i always found that even in the cheaper hotels that the breakfast buffets were a nice perk. I'll be the first to admit that the quality of the hot food generally sucks--but it's nice to be able to grab some toast, some fruit, some coffee super quick without having to venture out too far. In your scenario with a bunch of kids--I'd think that it's a huge benefit in regards to cost and convenience. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I stay in a hotel weekly and have never felt any risk. My complaint is the hotel cut back on their rewards. 😡

I did get upgraded to Super Duper Supreme Aristocracy Elite level for life plus a day as a thank you for being part of essential service so I’m expecting an extra towel one of these visits. 

I stay in a hotel weekly and have never felt any risk. My complaint is the hotel cut back on their rewards. 😡

I did get upgraded to Super Duper Supreme Aristocracy Elite level for life plus a day as a thank you for being part of essential service so I’m expecting an extra towel one of these visits. 
dynamite username

My wife works at a motel 6

They are shutting down for the second time in the last two months due to covid. first time they had a sick desk clerk Now they have 2 housekeepers with the rona.

Full disclosure--I rarely fly--so when I comment on hotel stays--I'm talking about road trips.  I have not stayed in a hotel yet since covid --but my plan for when I do is to use my UV-C lamps that have timers on them to sanitize any hotel room that I stay in moving forward. I purchased five of these lamps for my workplace and five for my home. I also ordered a few 12 foot long extension cords and with 4-5 lights I can sanitize  our 450 square foot showroom at work in about 15 minutes.  Between that and sanitizing wipes--thats enough to make me feel comfortable to stay in one in regards to the room.  I'd still be weary about the social distancing aspect in the lobby and elevators though. If you would be staying at smaller hotels--I'd probably request rooms on the first floor to avoid elevators and such. 
You are now just as likely to get cancer as covid

You are now just as likely to get cancer as covid
I don't stay in the rooms that I am sanitizing. The lights are on timers so you have like 30 seconds to a minute to get out of the area once you turn them on.   You plug them in--you wear goggles--you quickly click the button on each one--and leave and come back in 15-20 minutes. 

Users who are viewing this thread