What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Older sibling looking to relocate (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
What cool city in the USA could you get by living in on 50k? Is it still possible? He is in health care as a nurse.

What cool city in the USA could you get by living in on 50k? Is it still possible? He is in health care as a nurse.
Nurse pay typically correlates pretty well with cost of living, and $50k is pretty low. If he were to move to say, San Francisco, he would likely be over $100k, but of course the COL is insane. Oregon/Washington pay pretty well, but again, COL. Maybe Boulder or Denver? I believe the COL is reasonable and nurse pay should be decent.

Nurse pay typically correlates pretty well with cost of living, and $50k is pretty low. If he were to move to say, San Francisco, he would likely be over $100k, but of course the COL is insane. Oregon/Washington pay pretty well, but again, COL. Maybe Boulder or Denver? I believe the COL is reasonable and nurse pay should be decent.
COL in Washington is pretty reasonable if you get outside of Seattle.   No state income tax.    Lots of affordable places to live that are within an hour of Seattle.

COL in Washington is pretty reasonable if you get outside of Seattle.   No state income tax.    Lots of affordable places to live that are within an hour of Seattle.
What cities do you recommend? Is Oregon similar?

What cities do you recommend? Is Oregon similar?
I have no idea about oregon.   @General Malaise would know.

I'd consider Poulsbo, Port Orchard, Des Moines, Kent, and portions of Federal Way.   All depends how much he needs to be in Seattle ever.   I rarely go there.  The ferry system here is pretty good so I prefer being on the west side of the Sound.

If checks a bunch of boxes. Healthcare, college town, affordability and a gorgeous area. Can see the popularity. They like us Californians moving in, right?

If checks a bunch of boxes. Healthcare, college town, affordability and a gorgeous area. Can see the popularity. They like us Californians moving in, right?
Next month will be my 10 year anniversary of moving from So Cal.

25% of the incoming are from CA.  It seems higher than that though.    Before Covid, I was on new construction team doing open houses 2-3 times per week.  50% from CA.  10% from SEA.   4-10 groups any day of the week.   I've heard several times that the SAC to BOI flight on Thur night is half full of people coming to buy. Hell our brokerage built a $40k booth in the baggage area at the airport.   Generated a ton of biz.

Kansas City. The best kept secret in the country. We have all four seasons. Major sports teams. Good restaurant scene with a lot of diversity.  In the middle of the heartland so good organic food is easy to come by if he is into that kind of thing.

Good arts culture. Good music scene. Lots of hiking trails, fishing, and hunting close by. Low cost of living. People are great here.

Kansas City. The best kept secret in the country. We have all four seasons. Major sports teams. Good restaurant scene with a lot of diversity.  In the middle of the heartland so good organic food is easy to come by if he is into that kind of thing.

Good arts culture. Good music scene. Lots of hiking trails, fishing, and hunting close by. Low cost of living. People are great here.
I’ll say that when I come to your town for business, the Overland Park area seems like a nice place.  Downtown area seems oddly empty. 

Most people are gonna suggest their area, but I am going the opposite direction.  Stay away from Connecticut!  And your brother's 50K becomes an entirely different number depending on where he ends up, so I would throw that number out the window.  He really needs to choose a place that matches his lifestyle.  If you're not a real hunter/fisherman, Alaska is not the place for you.  If you want to avoid crowded places, you probably want to avoid most of New Jersey.  If you are gay, a place like San Fran is typically more tolerant than Texas.  He needs to make a list of priorities and work from it.

Places I’ve heard are up and coming...

Ashville NC

Greenville SC

Charleston SC

Fort Collins CO

St George UT

Boise ID

Bend OR

Some underrated older legacy cities

MPLS/StP

Pittsburgh

Columbus

Detroit is going through a massive revitalization right now

Some Overpriced/Overhyped areas to avoid (these are all cool cities but imo are overpriced for what you get)

Portland

Austin

Denver

Nashville

wazoo11 said:
He was looking at Pittsburgh or Charlotte North Carolina 
Pittsburgh would be a great choice. A big healthcare city, lots to do, and still relatively inexpensive. 

An option, that is not obvious is to apply to the Mayo clinic. Rochester is a nice small city.

What does he like to do for fun?

Places I’ve heard are up and coming...

Ashville NC

Greenville SC

Charleston SC

Fort Collins CO

St George UT

Boise ID

Bend OR

Some underrated older legacy cities

MPLS/StP

Pittsburgh

Columbus

Detroit is going through a massive revitalization right now

Some Overpriced/Overhyped areas to avoid (these are all cool cities but imo are overpriced for what you get)

Portland

Austin

Denver

Nashville
Asheville is awesome, but getting expensive. Been a long time since I have been to Fort Collins, but I have heard it is booming. Greenville SC is really nice. Greenville NC is where I am currently. It is up and coming and still super cheap. I hear great things about Boise.

Pittsburgh would be a great choice. A big healthcare city, lots to do, and still relatively inexpensive. 

An option, that is not obvious is to apply to the Mayo clinic. Rochester is a nice small city.

What does he like to do for fun?
Baseball games, country shows and hiking 

wazoo11 said:
Chattanooga and the Huntsville areas are growing.  Not expensive, low taxes, reasonably nice weather, good outdoors stuff to do.  Lots of employment opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I live in Nashua, I figured I'd offer a couple thoughts on this.
I think there's a lot in the area, if you consider as far away as Boston for stuff to do (pro sports, shows, Encore etc.). Plenty of options for dining out in the immediate area. Lots of tax free shopping and no income tax in NH, but room and meals tax is 9%. Sports betting was legalized this past year with Draftkings the sole operator.
About 40 minutes from Boston, 4+ hours to NYC, 5+ hours to Montreal.
White Mountains, Cape, NH beaches can all be done as day trips but traffic can be tough depending when and where.
Decent recreational walking/biking trails in the area.
There are 2 hospitals in Nashua and hospitals in place like Manchester are a decent commute. With recent events I don't know what employment possibilities there are. However, all the hospitals in the area that I'n aware of have had furloughs recently. Don't know what kind of nursing he does, but I'm guessing ICU or ER nurses are probably making 60-70k, probably more closer to Boston.
In or close to Nashua a nice 2 br apartment is ~$1600 a month. If buying a house in Nashua, I pay about $7200 a year property tax on a house that might market for $400k.
Not a lot of excitement here. A totally peaceful vigil in Nashua this weekend closed down the street around a park where ~1000 people showed up. Another street was closed  for a little bit while dealing with a nuisance bear. Other than that, the most notable thing right now is the pollen.

I’ll say that when I come to your town for business, the Overland Park area seems like a nice place.  Downtown area seems oddly empty. 
Overland Park is nice enough, if you like typical suburbs with chain food on every corner.  

Interior KCMO is really starting to come back and it's filtering into the downtown core.  Westport, River Market, Crossroads, all have had new bars and food go in recently thanks to the street car.  If I was 30 and single KC would get serious consideration, especially for those specific areas.  Only downside IMO is the crappy airport.

Users who are viewing this thread