What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite chain restaurant? (1 Viewer)

Texas Roadhouse - Full slab o ribs with a baked sweet potato, and an order of rattlesnake bites

Five Guys - Love their cajun fries, but they overcook their burgers

Burger King - Original chicken sandwich minus lettuce - an easy go to when you can't decide on anything else

Ruby Tuesday - I get my money's worth at the salad bar

Cracker Barrel - The only place around that serves sweet iced tea
I used to struggle leaving the South on business because I was so hooked on having it with meals everywhere I went.

I used to struggle leaving the South on business because I was so hooked on having it with meals everywhere I went.
True story - About 2 years ago, we went to eat at the mexican chain Margarita's.  I asked if they had sweet tea, and the waitress said sure, but it was warm.  I said fine, and she brought me my tea in a tall glass with a straw.  I took a huge swig from the straw, then spit it all over the table.  It was boiling hot!  I'm surprised it didn't melt the straw.

As far as sit down chain places, I like the Bonefish Grill and Ruth Chris is a pretty good steakhouse. Like most though I prefer local eats.
Great atmosphere and excellent wait staff but the food ... No.  I'm shocked anyone likes this place.  Just speaking food what on earth do you like?  

What we had was terrible, truly awful.  I had some sort of seafood pasta that was mush.  Can't recall what the others had but do recall it started out well with orderves but they were the only thing palatable even the wine was not good.  Everything was ridiculously overpriced but the waiting staff deserved a good tip which they got but when you are at the end of your meal and everyone is judging the meal not saying a word.  You look around and see no one has finished and no one has said a word...  then the damn breaks and everyone is embarrassed by how bad the meal was.  Bonefish Grill is not good. 

Left a big tip but nothing was finished while leaving the table which only drove home how bad it was.

Never going back again and would never recommend that experience to anyone.

Subs: Jersey Mikes or Penn Station

Stand in line to order:  Culvers, Qdoba, Chick-fil-a

Middle of the road sit down:  Chili`s, Texas Road House.

After drinking all night:  White Castle, Taco Bell, Burger King

Great atmosphere and excellent wait staff but the food ... No.  I'm shocked anyone likes this place.  Just speaking food what on earth do you like?  

What we had was terrible, truly awful.  I had some sort of seafood pasta that was mush.  Can't recall what the others had but do recall it started out well with orderves but they were the only thing palatable even the wine was not good.  Everything was ridiculously overpriced but the waiting staff deserved a good tip which they got but when you are at the end of your meal and everyone is judging the meal not saying a word.  You look around and see no one has finished and no one has said a word...  then the damn breaks and everyone is embarrassed by how bad the meal was.  Bonefish Grill is not good. 

Left a big tip but nothing was finished while leaving the table which only drove home how bad it was.

I've had different experiences - maybe its based on location. I think it's pretty cheap for eating out and their fish dishes  and sides are good. 

This Texas Roadhouse keeps coming up :mellow:

I have one right up the road from me, but have always dismissed it.  It is constantly slammed, but this is also an area where Sonny's BBQ is also slammed :lol:  in lieu of local, quality BBQ joints.  

Subs: Jersey Mikes or Penn Station

Stand in line to order:  Culvers, Qdoba, Chick-fil-a

Middle of the road sit down:  Chili`s, Texas Road House.

After drinking all night:  White Castle, Taco Bell, Burger King
I miss this place.  During this pandemic, we've been trying to recreate them....gotten pretty good at it...banana peppers are a must for us.  The fries were worth their weight in gold IMO, but I can't recreate those. :kicksrock:  

I miss this place.  During this pandemic, we've been trying to recreate them....gotten pretty good at it...banana peppers are a must for us.  The fries were worth their weight in gold IMO, but I can't recreate those. :kicksrock:  
I agree, only problem is if you get a sub, fries, and fresh lemonade you are pushing 13-15 dollars.

Fazoli's and their unlimited floppy greasy breadsticks are awesome.  You could go in, order a fountain drink, and eat like 100 breadsticks and then leave.

I've had different experiences - maybe its based on location. I think it's pretty cheap for eating out and their fish dishes  and sides are good. 
This is true of any chain. Even two locations in the same town can be pretty different.

Quick example: the Olive Garden I worked at ... when I first started working there, the kitchen was run by (a) an experienced local hotel chef and (b) a recently-graduated culinary student. Both guys were dead serious about the quality of their food. Any pot of sauce that developed a "skin" that stuck to the side of the pot (from being left too long without stirring) was thrown out. They kept pressure on food runners and wait staff to get pasta out of the window ASAP to prevent it from drying out even a little bit. Those guys even scolded people for wiping the plate rims the wrong way. For squeezing lemons wrong (getting seeds into the food). Just totally on top of how a professional kitchen should run, chain or not.

I worked there on and off for a little over four years. After a while, those two chefs moved on to bigger and better things. They were generally replaced by journeymen line cooks -- usually good guys, but also typically corner-cutters who were more primed for speed than quality. And they really needed direction from someone with at least a chef-like mentality. It started to show in the quality of the food. IMHO, the food was generally still pretty good. However, the percentage of "messy" looking plates increased. More often, diners bit into a piece of sat-too-long pasta. Sauces were inconsistent, too often overdone.

So, if you'd have caught the OG from when I first started ... you'd probably be pretty impressed, especially "for a chain". Later on, when the chef mentality and attention to detail left the premises, you started getting the stereotypical chain-restaurant meals. Not 100% of the time -- probably not even 50% of the time -- but often enough to turn off customers to the entire chain altogether.

I don't doubt your experience, but I think you're in the minority.  I've gone there countless times, typically ordering something different each time, and rarely have a meal I don't like.  Their Mussels Josephine is phenomenal.  

Not including fast food on my list...should be a separate thread IMHO.

1.  Houstons

2.  PF Changs

3.  Capital Grille

Last edited by a moderator:
This Texas Roadhouse keeps coming up :mellow:

I have one right up the road from me, but have always dismissed it.  It is constantly slammed, but this is also an area where Sonny's BBQ is also slammed :lol:  in lieu of local, quality BBQ joints.  
I would put it on par with Outback quality wise, but with a “country” theme 

I would put it on par with Outback quality wise, but with a “country” theme 
There was a time I would go to Outback for Prime Rib, but that went downhill rather quickly...haven't been to one in ages.  Their cheese fries were top notch back in the day, but I found the steaks "meh".

The Five Guys near us has steadily gone down hill.  The burgers are a sloppy mess, it's actually off putting.  Fries are still amazing.  I much prefer burgers from a chain called BurgerFi and The Habit

The Five Guys near us has steadily gone down hill.  The burgers are a sloppy mess, it's actually off putting.  Fries are still amazing.  I much prefer burgers from a chain called BurgerFi and The Habit
Went to BurgerFi once was not that impressed and I think it was even more pricey than 5G (although I had won a lunch bet so I did get a bunch of extra stuff)

I used to live down the street from the original Habit when I was in college, back before it was even a chain.  This is the type of stuff that makes me feel old

They have a cool one there in Cosmo I think.

The original one is in Phoenix, and it's still my fav. But they've been bought out by an investment group and doing a lot of expansion - they have an awesome menu.
I took clients there for an appreciation dinner a few years back when I was just a young whippersnapper.  My boss let me coordinate everything including ordering the appetizers and paying the check.  That led to a $3,500 bill for 20 people thanks to ordering three seafood towers (most of which got thrown away) and accidentally double tipping (too drunk to consider that the gratuity would already be included on the check).    :unsure:

I took clients there for an appreciation dinner a few years back when I was just a young whippersnapper.  My boss let me coordinate everything including ordering the appetizers and paying the check.  That led to a $3,500 bill for 20 people thanks to ordering three seafood towers (most of which got thrown away) and accidentally double tipping (too drunk to consider that the gratuity would already be included on the check).    :unsure:
Nice - sounds like a great time!

Funny story - my brother is good friends with a guy who was actually a deck hand on a boat that was smuggling cocaine and got hijacked by Haitian pirates. The dude was tied up on deck, got free, jumped into the Gulf waters, and swam to the Dominican Republic to safety.

My buddy and I told my brother that we would buy him and his buddy the nicest dinner they ever had if we could hear the story first hand from the guy. So he came to Phoenix, and the four of us went to Mastro's. We drank $100 a pop scotch, ate caviar and kobe steaks, and listened to this dude tell us the story for four hours. It was a blast, and our bill for the four of us ended up being over $3000.

Quite the night.

Nice - sounds like a great time!

Funny story - my brother is good friends with a guy who was actually a deck hand on a boat that was smuggling cocaine and got hijacked by Haitian pirates. The dude was tied up on deck, got free, jumped into the Gulf waters, and swam to the Dominican Republic to safety.

My buddy and I told my brother that we would buy him and his buddy the nicest dinner they ever had if we could hear the story first hand from the guy. So he came to Phoenix, and the four of us went to Mastro's. We drank $100 a pop scotch, ate caviar and kobe steaks, and listened to this dude tell us the story for four hours. It was a blast, and our bill for the four of us ended up being over $3000.

Quite the night.
Wow.  Glad you weren't at my dinner.   :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I never really got all the Olive Garden hate

Its not the greatest food in the world but it’s not bad either imo

We order curbside once in awhile. 

The salad is big and always fresh. The chicken broccoli Alfredo is pretty good.

The zeppole are pretty darn good too

🤷🏻‍♂️
Plus girls in their early twenties loved it. 

I used to live down the street from the original Habit when I was in college, back before it was even a chain.  This is the type of stuff that makes me feel old
You went to UCSB?  GAUUUUUUUUCHOOOOOOOOS!!!!!!  * throws tortilla *

Good call on The Habit. Surprisingly good and I really like the tempura beans. 

Lower-end (including Habit): 

Chick-Fil-A

Jersey Mike's

In N Out

Higher-end: 

Ruth's Chris

PF Chang's

Benihana

Fogo de Chao

Not sure if they count (I know there are a few, but not sure if it's a "chain"): 

Thirsty Lion

Pizza Port

Yardhouse 

True story - About 2 years ago, we went to eat at the mexican chain Margarita's.  I asked if they had sweet tea, and the waitress said sure, but it was warm.  I said fine, and she brought me my tea in a tall glass with a straw.  I took a huge swig from the straw, then spit it all over the table.  It was boiling hot!  I'm surprised it didn't melt the straw.
The best places for it here are the hole in the wall meat and three places or the BBQ joints.

Midtier:

• I can't resist Chili's for some reason. Love their boneless wings and burgers even though I wouldn't say they are the best
  • Agree with others about PF Changs - not the best or most authentic, but tasty and good for a fix
  • Maggiano's Little Italy for Italian food -- decent portions
  • Cheesecake Factory -- portions alone make this a good place for me (if not for my waistline)
High tier:

• Capital Grille is a solid steakhouse (better than Morton's, Ruth's Chris, etc. IMO). I don't make it a point to go unless it's business and can expense it as I can cook a fantastic piece of meat to similar -- or maybe satisfactory -- output at a fraction of the cost.

thecatch said:
Not just a SoCal place.  As a result of COVID my local store just permanently closed, which sucks because my kids loved it.
Sorry to hear that it closed.  :(

I checked and you're right, many states now have Rubio's (Arizona, Nevada, Utah and others).

Their headquarters are in SoCal (Carlsbad).

Jack in the Box - haven't even seen this chain in decades, but they used to have a burger on sourdough with mushrooms and swiss

Plaza Azteca - the Azteca Especial is awesome

Sorry to hear that it closed.  :(

I checked and you're right, many states now have Rubio's (Arizona, Nevada, Utah and others).

Their headquarters are in SoCal (Carlsbad).
Rubio's rocks - for a "fast foodish" chain, it's some damn good food.

Love Cracker Barrel, the go to for interstate dining. Oldtimers breakfast or Chicken N Dumplings

I like Bonefish Grill but there are so many good small seafood places here that I only eat there when my wife gets an Outback gift card from students. 

I love Chik Fil A but not the lines.

I'm generally not a national chain person but occasionally frequent Tijuana Flats since their online ordering is decent. 

I used to like the Miller AleHouse chain but in their push to expand, quality has really slipped.

Also like regional chains with local ties like Firehouse Subs. Metro Diner, Maple Street Biscuit, and PDQ.

Jack in the Box - haven't even seen this chain in decades, but they used to have a burger on sourdough with mushrooms and swiss

Plaza Azteca - the Azteca Especial is awesome
The worst fast food I've ever experienced.  Not just the derelict shift in my town....they legit employ people fired from Goodwill (not joking...this is true).  Before I knew that fact I tried it a couple of times.  The last straw was the breakfast sandwich with a cold egg, unmelted cheese, cold limp bacon, and the hashbrown cake was warm on the edges and frozen in the middle.  Never again.

Users who are viewing this thread