What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid-friendly Vacations (1 Viewer)

dgreen

Footballguy
Where are people going this Summer? Trying to figure out something/anything to do with the family.

We are in the DC area and will likely do some kind of road trip. I'm fine with long trips. Not going to drive all the way across country, but willing to go pretty far. We really like New England, so that's always in play. We also recently discussed Michigan; maybe hit some of the lake beach towns, swing around the UP, and then down through Wisconsin and Chicago. But is Chicago ok to do?

We've done a ton of stuff in the South/Southeast, so that's not really interesting to us.

Right now, we're probably thinking a week or so.

Go camping or like we did rent a cabin in the mountains. Take some hikes or fish. Get outdoors. Our place in Wyoming had no internet or cell service. Loved watching the kids phones become paper weights. My kids (20, 16, and 11) all said they had a blast.

I would say anywhere that people are not wearing masks and are crowding into close quarters would be a COVID friendly vacation spot.  Even better if the people are running fevers and coughing at each other. 

in 2 weeks im going to do a 10 day road trip through Banff and J asper  as this will be the quietest it will be in my lifetime 
then a couple of 3-5 day trips in july and august in BC 
if the Atlantic provinces open up to other Canadians  im going to do a 2 week road trip in sept starting in Halifax 
if my India trip in November gets cancelled then ill do a 2 week road through Ottawa , Montreal and Quebec city in early October  

staying in Canada until other countries open up and covid is being contained at a low level  

I’d drive out West - lots of parks in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Although summer is the one time it’s tolerable, no way is the Midwest a road trip-worthy destination.

ETA A week probably isn’t enough time. I know you said no SE, but have you been to Asheville or Chattanooga?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a buddy who is renting an RV. He said it was actually hard to get one because a lot of people have the same idea.

I’d drive out West - lots of parks in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Although summer is the one time it’s tolerable, no way is the Midwest a road trip-worthy destination.

ETA A week probably isn’t enough time. I know you said no SE, but have you been to Asheville or Chattanooga?
I’ve very briefly been through Asheville. Looked great. Never been to Chattanooga. I’d love to be out west but I don’t see us flying and not sure we are going to take the time to drive that far. I think I’d be fine with flying but not sure my wife agrees. 

I’ve very briefly been through Asheville. Looked great. Never been to Chattanooga. I’d love to be out west but I don’t see us flying and not sure we are going to take the time to drive that far. I think I’d be fine with flying but not sure my wife agrees. 
Even driving to the upper Midwest is a slog. If you like outdoor activity, both Chattanooga and Asheville are great, and not too far from DC. I’d probably pick Asheville for lower temps in the summer.

If you're heading to Chattanooga,  state park in GA that's a stone's throw away and the cabins are decent.

Rent a couple canoes and some camping equipment and do a week-long float on the Susquehanna River Trail. Your kids will love it and your wife will want to divorce you!

The Susquehanna River Trail Middle Section is a 50 mile long water trail with 23 primitive island campsites from Sunbury, PA to Middletown, PA.

Where are people going this Summer? Trying to figure out something/anything to do with the family.

We are in the DC area and will likely do some kind of road trip. I'm fine with long trips. Not going to drive all the way across country, but willing to go pretty far. We really like New England, so that's always in play. We also recently discussed Michigan; maybe hit some of the lake beach towns, swing around the UP, and then down through Wisconsin and Chicago. But is Chicago ok to do?

We've done a ton of stuff in the South/Southeast, so that's not really interesting to us.

I'm in CT and the CT/NY/NJ area was the US epicenter for a good 5-6 week period.  All the NYC activity bled into the other states. MA also got hit pretty hard.

That said, there have been restrictions on what you can/can't do on beaches.  Cape Cod is just starting to loosen some dining out restrictions.  RI had a 14 day quarantine restriction for people coming in from out of state, not sure if that's still in place.

I think you'd have better freedom and more opportunities going farther north into VT/NH/ME.  Good luck.

Have you considered a themed road trip?  Like seeing how many of the "Biggest __________ in the World" you can find?  Could make for some lasting memories.  Hey kids, remember that trip in 2020 where we saw the tallest ladder, the monstrous pair of sneakers, and that massive ball of yarn?

I'm in CT and the CT/NY/NJ area was the US epicenter for a good 5-6 week period.  All the NYC activity bled into the other states. MA also got hit pretty hard.

That said, there have been restrictions on what you can/can't do on beaches.  Cape Cod is just starting to loosen some dining out restrictions.  RI had a 14 day quarantine restriction for people coming in from out of state, not sure if that's still in place.

I think you'd have better freedom and more opportunities going farther north into VT/NH/ME.  Good luck.
I've been to every state east of the Mississippi except VT, so I'm tempted to head that direction.

Go camping or like we did rent a cabin in the mountains. Take some hikes or fish. Get outdoors. Our place in Wyoming had no internet or cell service. Loved watching the kids phones become paper weights. My kids (20, 16, and 11) all said they had a blast.
One or more of my family members would come back dead but not from Covid.

I've been to every state east of the Mississippi except VT, so I'm tempted to head that direction.
I’ve traveled to Vermont a few times — I think it would be a good state. Green Mountains should have plenty of hiking for socially distant activities. I like the Stowe area (ski destination in the winter, but a good town to visit in the summer too). Lots of good resorts, restaurants, and breweries too, if they are open.  

We don't want to fly in the era of Corona Virus, especially with kids, and my wife doesn't think she can handle more than a days worth of driving (from Charlotte area).  That limits us to the south east coast.  Big cities and touristy areas are out.  so, we are left with Appalachian mountians or ocean.  Outer Banks was my top choice but we are too late to find decent accommodations at a rate I want to pay. 

We ended up choosing south FL.  My wife and I lived there for a decade or so, so we know the area.  My girls have never been to that part of the state.  We are renting a condo a block from the beach in Del Ray.  

Part of the trick is finding a place with a kitchen.  I don't want to be eating out, especially if this thing comes roaring back and they shut down the restaurants again - we don't want to be forced to be sitting on hotel beds to eat every meal.  A few things we can do in the area: obviously beach, including a near-shore reef I know of we can snorkel to (at least you could 15 years ago), canoeing down the Loxahatchee, and I'm really looking forward to renting a boat and cruising up to Peanut Island and back.  Maybe get out and go fishing too.  Jet skis could be fun as well.

Going to try to get to the beach with the kids. It's therapy for me and, especially right now, I need it badly.  Going to shoot for an AirBnB place (a small condo, or house) instead of the high-rise condo type of place. I don't particularly care about restaurants and might not even go to a single one. I'm fine with doing the cooking myself. Have crock pot, will travel. I'm low-risk and don't visit anyone who is high-risk (or visit anyone for that matter). As for the beach itself, my plan is to find a place to post up away from others, with a cooler of beer, and I don't care if I talk to a single person there. :cool:  

:blackdot:

I would keep in mind that some states still have in effect rules requiring self-quarantining of out of state visitors. I think Maine is still requiring 2 weeks of self-quarantine, for example.
No 1 reason we haven't hit the road yet is i don't want to get out of the car to discover I was better off at home. 

I understand things are re-opening, already open, etc...haven't enjoyed the little bit of exposure I've gotten in the last couple weeks, just not that interested in being around large groups. Wanted to get to some Nat Parks with space but many of them have filled up by MidDay and lots of folks are piling into them. 

And we live in a pretty awesome spot IMO in South Florida/Treasure Coast, much to do without ever leaving a 5 mile radius of my zip code. 

Down side is we each have a Month plus we need to burn by September...

moleculo said:
We don't want to fly in the era of Corona Virus, especially with kids, and my wife doesn't think she can handle more than a days worth of driving (from Charlotte area).  That limits us to the south east coast.  Big cities and touristy areas are out.  so, we are left with Appalachian mountians or ocean.  Outer Banks was my top choice but we are too late to find decent accommodations at a rate I want to pay. 

We ended up choosing south FL.  My wife and I lived there for a decade or so, so we know the area.  My girls have never been to that part of the state.  We are renting a condo a block from the beach in Del Ray.  

Part of the trick is finding a place with a kitchen.  I don't want to be eating out, especially if this thing comes roaring back and they shut down the restaurants again - we don't want to be forced to be sitting on hotel beds to eat every meal.  A few things we can do in the area: obviously beach, including a near-shore reef I know of we can snorkel to (at least you could 15 years ago), canoeing down the Loxahatchee, and I'm really looking forward to renting a boat and cruising up to Peanut Island and back.  Maybe get out and go fishing too.  Jet skis could be fun as well.
I know we don't get along so well any more but I wanted to chime in and say what a great idea and just give you a few quickies on where we are at, I live Jupiter Inlet, I know you know this area well up thru Martin, etc...i can remember when you left for NC. 

-Delray is great, you must know there is tons to do for you and family. Silverball arcade, etc...I would not go South into Broward, it's almost night and day my opinion, I'm down there and Miami all the time. You are coming from NC which as I hear has been pretty tight so you might have zero issues further South if you go for a ride.  

-Jupiter area as you might imagine pretty laid back and everything is open North into Martin County like Hobe Sound and Stuart. 

Hope you and Fam have a great time down here, the beaches are beautiful and most folks are following the guidelines with distancing. You won't find many folks walking around outside at the beach with masks, you will find many restaurants and bars the servers are mostly wearing them with a few exceptions. Most folks here want to work together to get past this. 

Cheers!

We are itching for a tropical vacation, but likely are not flying for a little while.  May do a long weekend in Carmel or Capitola (Santa Cruz) in September if things lift.

If you decide to go to Michigan and the UP, make sure you go to Mackinac Island if you are able. Better yet, if you are able, stay overnight on the island (we haven't done it yet, but would like to some day).  You could easily spend a couple days on the island with the horse back riding, bike riding and exploring.  I haven't looked into if they are open this year because we are not planning on going because my wife's yearly meetings got cancelled but it would be a nice little trip followed by a drive around the UP.

This is what we will do. We usually tent camp but most campgrounds don't have the public bath houses open so we'll be looking at cabins.

:blackdot:

Have considered a beach house, camping with canoeing and hiking.  Dog friendly would be nice, but not mandatory.  My kids aren't exactly the outdoorsy type, unfortunately, so I'd want to have some fallback on "things to do".

Fwiw, we've been in the OC MD area for the last two months riding this out. 

Not sure if it fits the "friendly" part of your idea, but beaches are fully open. OC has been getting crowded, but Assateague as always has more room (no life guards there yet). Restaurants open for dining in as of today at 50% capacity (already doing outdoor). Stores just  reopened too.

Considering the OC memorial day that made national news for the croeds, there hasn't appeared to be any spike or increase of covid here that I'm aware of.

DE beaches seem to be in the same phase. 

I'd imagine you could find nicer/quieter (I'm not an OC fan) spots further South.

Not sure if that's far enough away for you based on your MI idea. My wife's family is all in NoVa/DC, and three of them have houses here...(one of which we've been living in)...and have been using them happily during this thing.

welp, so much for that.  Cancelled vacation due to Florida spiking.  Of course, SC is spiking too so not really much difference.  I figure if things shut down, might as well be home.

Instead, we have been taking advantage of what we have here in the Carolinas.  We have gone out for hikes up in the mountains the last couple of weekends - kids really seem to enjoy it, and I can use the exercise and fresh air.  I think that's what we will end up doing instead - local weekend trips, really explore what we have here.

Sounds like somebody who has never been to northern Michigan. Absolutely worth it.

If you decide to go to Michigan and the UP, make sure you go to Mackinac Island if you are able. Better yet, if you are able, stay overnight on the island (we haven't done it yet, but would like to some day).  You could easily spend a couple days on the island with the horse back riding, bike riding and exploring.  I haven't looked into if they are open this year because we are not planning on going because my wife's yearly meetings got cancelled but it would be a nice little trip followed by a drive around the UP.
Sleeping Bear dunes is awesome, has several days worth of great hikes ranging from easy to very difficult.  

Sleeping Bear dunes is awesome, has several days worth of great hikes ranging from easy to very difficult.  
I’ve been eyeing sleeping bear and pictured rocks. Would like to hit mackinac too. Losing is tricky though. Lots of stuff is already booked or really expensive or cheap and crappy. We have 5 people which also makes lodging tricky since so much designed for either 2 or 4 people. 

I was going to encourage folks NOT to come to Florida with the new spikes after I bragged about the beaches here. I still think the beaches are pretty safe, however...

-Mrs went to Panhandle this weekend to visit with her mother and there was nobody they saw honoring social distancing, not an abundance of cleaning going on around them...

-In St Pete, I saw first hand nobody really allowing for any distance in the grill/bars sections by the beach, we got up and left a couple spots where I just wasn't comfortable.  Nothing needed to be said to anyone, just move on to somewhere else with more space. 

I keep circling back to enjoying my home and neighborhood, cooking my own meals and just isolating with my wife and family for now. I'm open to suggestions on what we should be doing but I can't really blame officials for taking away privileges in this unprecedented time. I do think at the beach, people seem to get it but when i go inland away from the beach things get scary quickly. 

-Tampa has a mandatory mask in public or face a $500 fine, that means ALL public spots including Ybor City so if you go there, be prepared. 

I’ve been eyeing sleeping bear and pictured rocks. Would like to hit mackinac too. Losing is tricky though. Lots of stuff is already booked or really expensive or cheap and crappy. We have 5 people which also makes lodging tricky since so much designed for either 2 or 4 people. 
Sleeping Bear dunes is unreal. 

heading to mammoth, for my daughter's bday in a few weeks.  we are bringing a few of her friends.  we have a nice, big, house lined up.  plan to just get outside and relax.  may do a day trip into yosemite.  stoked to get away, especially to one of my favorite places.

Just spent 10 days here.

I've been going here for 38 years. It is literally out in the middle of nowhere. There is a grocery store and liquor store in town, so we stock up when we pull in and don't go back to town unless absolutely necessary.

If you like to fish, sit around and be lazy, go on hikes, drink beer and watch the kids play, and just otherwise want to be in a place that is quiet and peaceful - this place is it.

Edit to add: and my son is the kid on slide 4 of the website with the big pike. He was 4 when he caught that. 

Mackinac is cool, but you don't necessarily have to stay on the island.  I personally think the island is good for a day trip over and back.  There are tons of bike rental places right where you get on/off the ferry. You can bike the entire loop around the island, including stopping for a few hikes and sights, and have lunch, in about 3 hours or so at a leisurely pace.

You know the ####ty thing about living in Miami? It takes 6 hours just to get out of the state if you want to take an out-of-state road trip.

Not too many other places where you have to drive 6+ hours to get to another state/country. Are there any?

I would love to head out west but man, we would be driving more than we would be enjoying the sites. Plus my wife just drove 17+ hours straight back from her mom's house in S. Illinois so she's not looking to hang out for another road trip anytime soon. 

You know the ####ty thing about living in Miami? It takes 6 hours just to get out of the state if you want to take an out-of-state road trip.

Not too many other places where you have to drive 6+ hours to get to another state/country. Are there any?

I would love to head out west but man, we would be driving more than we would be enjoying the sites. Plus my wife just drove 17+ hours straight back from her mom's house in S. Illinois so she's not looking to hang out for another road trip anytime soon. 
Parts of Alaska for sure.  Central TX comes close. Hawaii, but good luck driving.

If you're in the Northeast/North Central(?) and want to get away, you may want to try this place. 

Three BR Yurt in the Blue Ridge Mountains outside of Blacksburg VA

My wife, son and I stayed there for a few nights last summer as we drive from Miami to Baltimore and it was super cool. Well, my son and I thought it was. My wife didn't like how remote it was (maybe she would think twice about that now?) but I would go back there in a heart beat. 

The pictures on the AirBNB site don't give it justice so here are a few more that I took while we were there. 

3 BR yurt, Pilot VA

French Polynesia. 

No cases since May. All visitors must have negative Covid test within 3 days of departure flight. Must be ok with random testing while in the islands.

Sounds like somebody who has never been to northern Michigan. Absolutely worth it.
I’ve been. Traverse City during the cherry festival and Mackinac Island specifically. It’s OK, but nowhere near a top road trip destination. Like most things in the Midwest, there’s better stuff elsewhere.

SF is about that far to north and south borders, but 3-4 to the east.

The heat and humidity trump whatever travel concerns about 🙂 Miami. Screw that.

Users who are viewing this thread