What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump coming to Tulsa. (1 Viewer)

Marmalade

Footballguy
Donald Trump will return to the 2020 campaign trail on June 19 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, a move freighted with racial symbolism and one almost certain to end poorly for the incumbent president.

This event has already caused a lot of heartache in my office.  People who like Trump and those who do not.   "Bill" was scheduled to work the day of the rally and asked "Adam" to cover for him.  Adam agreed.  But, when Adam found out it was so "Bill" could attend the Trump rally Adam backed out.   

Also,  The selection of Tulsa as the place where Trump returns to the stump and the date on which he is choosing to do it both suggest that Trump's long-whispered-about race speech -- in the wake of ongoing protests and unrest following the death of George Floyd -- will happen next Friday, and at a campaign rally no less.

Tulsa was the site of one of the most vicious acts of racial violence in American history when, in 1921, a mob of white people attacked a section of the city known as Greenwood or "Black Wall Street" and murdered hundreds of African Americans. (The event was the basis for HBO's "Watchmen" series.) And June 19, which has become commonly known and celebrated as Juneteenth, or Emancipation Day, commemorates the anniversary of the reading of the General Orders, No. 3, which officially informed slaves that they were free.

Its hard not to see this as intentional by the Trump campaign. While Oklahoma has no set limit on group gatherings, it's not a swing state, so there's no other obvious reason -- other than to address racial issues -- that Trump would stage his first rally in the state (and Tulsa particularly). And Trump could have done the rally on lots of days -- 364 of them actually! -- that don't commemorate the emancipation of slaves.

"The African American community is very near and dear to his heart," said White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Thursday of Trump's planned Tulsa rally on Juneteenth. "He's working on rectifying injustices. ... So it's a meaningful day to him and it's a day where wants to share some of the progress that's been made as we look forward and more that needs to be done."

This, uh, seems like a very bad idea.

Primarily because Trump is simply not a credible messenger on matters of race -- despite his repeated proclamations that he is the "least racist person there is anywhere in the world."

Trump's life -- and his presidency -- are littered with examples of him weaponizing race for his own personal or political benefit. From a housing discrimination lawsuit in the 1970s to his comments about the "Central Park 5" to his assertion that "both sides" were to blame for white supremacist violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017 -- and dozens of smaller moments in between -- Trump has again and again showed he simply does not get it when it comes to America's ongoing racial problems. Or, seen through another lens, that he gets it all too well.

And, African Americans -- judging by the data -- are done with Trump. In a CNN national poll released earlier this week, 88% of black voters said they disapproved of the job Trump is doing in office. Ninety one percent disapproved of how he is handling race relations. And 88% said they would vote for Biden over Trump in a hypothetical general election matchup.

Now, it's possible that the intended audience for this Tulsa rally isn't actually African Americans but rather white women, particularly those who live in the suburbs, who have badly soured on Trump -- and who see his handling of the Floyd protests as a sort of final straw. In giving a "race" speech, Trump and his team may well be aiming to bring some of those voters back around.

But again, the data suggests that Trump is just too damaged a messenger on race to convince almost anyone that he is committed to working toward equality in this country. Almost 7 in 10 women in the CNN poll disapproved of how Trump is handling race relations in America and a similar number -- 65% -- disapproved of the overall job he is doing.

Because of everything he has said and done in his life on race and racial issues, Trump lacks credibility to give a speech like the one he appears ready to deliver next Friday night. You can't simply flip a light switch and say you now get it on systemic racism and the ways in which the color of our skin still divides us.

Trump's actions -- like all of our actions -- define us. And his actions on this issuer speak far louder than any words he could utter.

I am staying home because I don't like to get hit in the head with flying bricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he set it up so he can pull it back and say

"See, African-Americans....see how much I love you?, I....even though millions of American Oklahomans...and American Texans(which borders to the South) and American Kansans were BEGGING me to come to Oklahoma on that most sacred of sacred days of yours.....I feel this day is too important to you to have a great rally. Just be sure tol show your support for me for putting this huge rally off....by not voting for Sleepy Joe and instead voting for me,....a man who has done more for you than anyone since Lincoln (and maybe more than him.....since he technically didn't free you).  MAGA!"

Donald Trump will return to the 2020 campaign trail on June 19 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, a move freighted with racial symbolism and one almost certain to end poorly for the incumbent president.

This event has already caused a lot of heartache in my office.  People who like Trump and those who do not.   "Bill" was scheduled to work the day of the rally and asked "Adam" to cover for him.  Adam agreed.  But, when Adam found out it was so "Bill" could attend the Trump rally Adam backed out.   

Also,  The selection of Tulsa as the place where Trump returns to the stump and the date on which he is choosing to do it both suggest that Trump's long-whispered-about race speech -- in the wake of ongoing protests and unrest following the death of George Floyd -- will happen next Friday, and at a campaign rally no less.

Tulsa was the site of one of the most vicious acts of racial violence in American history when, in 1921, a mob of white people attacked a section of the city known as Greenwood or "Black Wall Street" and murdered hundreds of African Americans. (The event was the basis for HBO's "Watchmen" series.) And June 19, which has become commonly known and celebrated as Juneteenth, or Emancipation Day, commemorates the anniversary of the reading of the General Orders, No. 3, which officially informed slaves that they were free.

Its hard not to see this as intentional by the Trump campaign. While Oklahoma has no set limit on group gatherings, it's not a swing state, so there's no other obvious reason -- other than to address racial issues -- that Trump would stage his first rally in the state (and Tulsa particularly). And Trump could have done the rally on lots of days -- 364 of them actually! -- that don't commemorate the emancipation of slaves.

"The African American community is very near and dear to his heart," said White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Thursday of Trump's planned Tulsa rally on Juneteenth. "He's working on rectifying injustices. ... So it's a meaningful day to him and it's a day where wants to share some of the progress that's been made as we look forward and more that needs to be done."

This, uh, seems like a very bad idea.

Primarily because Trump is simply not a credible messenger on matters of race -- despite his repeated proclamations that he is the "least racist person there is anywhere in the world."

Trump's life -- and his presidency -- are littered with examples of him weaponizing race for his own personal or political benefit. From a housing discrimination lawsuit in the 1970s to his comments about the "Central Park 5" to his assertion that "both sides" were to blame for white supremacist violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017 -- and dozens of smaller moments in between -- Trump has again and again showed he simply does not get it when it comes to America's ongoing racial problems. Or, seen through another lens, that he gets it all too well.

And, African Americans -- judging by the data -- are done with Trump. In a CNN national poll released earlier this week, 88% of black voters said they disapproved of the job Trump is doing in office. Ninety one percent disapproved of how he is handling race relations. And 88% said they would vote for Biden over Trump in a hypothetical general election matchup.

Now, it's possible that the intended audience for this Tulsa rally isn't actually African Americans but rather white women, particularly those who live in the suburbs, who have badly soured on Trump -- and who see his handling of the Floyd protests as a sort of final straw. In giving a "race" speech, Trump and his team may well be aiming to bring some of those voters back around.

But again, the data suggests that Trump is just too damaged a messenger on race to convince almost anyone that he is committed to working toward equality in this country. Almost 7 in 10 women in the CNN poll disapproved of how Trump is handling race relations in America and a similar number -- 65% -- disapproved of the overall job he is doing.

Because of everything he has said and done in his life on race and racial issues, Trump lacks credibility to give a speech like the one he appears ready to deliver next Friday night. You can't simply flip a light switch and say you now get it on systemic racism and the ways in which the color of our skin still divides us.

Trump's actions -- like all of our actions -- define us. And his actions on this issuer speak far louder than any words he could utter.

I am staying home because I don't like to get hit in the head with flying bricks.
Great another guy that just copies paste stuff of the internet.  That's spamming dude. . You're a spammer guy.  

Maybe he set it up so he can pull it back and say

"See, African-Americans....see how much I love you?, I....even though millions of American Oklahomans...and American Texans(which borders to the South) and American Kansans were BEGGING me to come to Oklahoma on that most sacred of sacred days of yours.....I feel this day is too important to you to have a great rally. Just be sure tol show your support for me for putting this huge rally off....by not voting for Sleepy Joe and instead voting for me,....a man who has done more for you than anyone since Lincoln (and maybe more than him.....since he technically didn't free you).  MAGA!"
Are you feeling ok?  I'd definitely have your temperature taken. You might have the Corona or something. 

Stephen Miller will be writing Trump’s speech on that occasion. No doubt it will be chalk full of the same empathy and understanding of racial issues that both men have demonstrated in the past. 

So, he's holding a rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa and he's giving is Convention acceptance speech in Jacksonville on the 60th anniversary of Axe Handle Saturday.   No way either of those is a coincidence.

So, he's holding a rally on Juneteenth in Tulsa and he's giving is Convention acceptance speech in Jacksonville on the 60th anniversary of Axe Handle Saturday.   No way either of those is a coincidence.
Instead of a huge birthday party on flag day just 5 days earlier?  Everyone claiming the huge ego of Trump, and he has a huge ego, thinks these dates have more meaning than one out of 365 days on the calendar when it comes to Trumps campaign schedule are reading whatever they want to into tea leaves.  Perfect example of Trump living in your heads, right where he wants you.  

Instead of a huge birthday party on flag day just 5 days earlier?  Everyone claiming the huge ego of Trump, and he has a huge ego, thinks these dates have more meaning than one out of 365 days on the calendar when it comes to Trumps campaign schedule are reading whatever they want to into tea leaves.  Perfect example of Trump living in your heads, right where he wants you.  
In fairness for Trump everyday is about him so his birthday is nothing different. 

Everyone who attends this rally has to sign a waiver: if you catch the virus you won’t hold Trump responsible. 
It’s crazy. They need to cancel this. 

an attention-seeker seeks attention. film @ 11. we each consecrate that by the mentioning. it will contain nothing that affects our lives. dont hang out flowerpots if youre allergic to bees

This whole thing is going to be a fart in the wind soon. A notable fart for sure, one we tell stories about for a long time, but a fart nonetheless. I hear November can be windy.

Trump rally/ Tulsa- Juneteenth 

RNC/Jacksonville- Ax Handle Saturday

Stripped LGBTQ protections- anniversary of the Pulse Night Club shooting 

urbanhack said:
Trump rally/ Tulsa- Juneteenth 

RNC/Jacksonville- Ax Handle Saturday

Stripped LGBTQ protections- anniversary of the Pulse Night Club shooting 
Trump has backed down and rescheduled. Total alpha move.

There we go. You guys were clamoring for him reschedule.

Probably a good move, really. June 20th, one day later now.
Trump's backing down? Kind of an odd take, but I wasn't in the earlier convo.
So what if this was planned by their team?

Plan it on Juneteenth, then move out of respect?
Just FYI, you can click the "Edit" button and then add your new thoughts to the original post. You don't need to create a new post for each thought.

:defundtheboardcops:

==========

Here's the deal...if Trump's team didn't already know about Juneteenth, there's no way Tulsa COC didn't tell them about it. They knew one way or the other. His team went back to the War Room & did one of two things. They either planned it for the 19th with the racial theme or played the scheduling/rescheduling game with the respect theme. They're trying to win an election.

The same as Biden saying he's going to Floyd's funeral, but not actually going.

==========

Here's the deal...if Trump's team didn't already know about Juneteenth, there's no way Tulsa COC didn't tell them about it. They knew one way or the other. His team went back to the War Room & did one of two things. They either planned it for the 19th with the racial theme or played the scheduling/rescheduling game with the respect theme. They're trying to win an election.

Yeah I think his team had one plan then when it hit the public it was becoming clear what they were likely hoping for was going to fall flat and possibly work against them.  Basically they got to the line, looked over the D and called an audible.  

Yeah I think his team had one plan then when it hit the public it was becoming clear what they were likely hoping for was going to fall flat and possibly work against them.  Basically they got to the line, looked over the D and called an audible.  
Right, like you said, they tested the water for the 19th & decided it would be better to move it.

Honestly, I'm glad they moved it. I was a little concerned an outside group of protestors would try something with all the media attention.

If your goal is to act the fool & get your ### shot off, Tulsa, Oklahoma is THE place to go to make your dreams come true. These people aren't going to run & hide & let you waltz into their place of business & start looting. It's just a different culture here.

Honestly, I'm glad they moved it. I was a little concerned an outside group of protestors would try something with all the media attention.

If your goal is to act the fool & get your ### shot off, Tulsa, Oklahoma is THE place to go to make your dreams come true. These people aren't going to run & hide & let you waltz into their place of business & start looting. It's just a different culture here.
Please educate yourself on what the date means and Tulsa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yceK9LHFSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-vFlEZU6s

I suspect moving it one day won’t change things. There will be large protests in Tulsa.

==========

Respect theme?  Acting as if they are unaware is not respectful...and if it was purposeful like that...not only is it not respectful...its a slap in the face to history.

Seriously...why does there have to be some excuse for everything he does?  Why can't it just be...his people likely wanted the controversy over this and the buzz about it...they didn't care of the actual implications or significance of the day...or in planning they were too ignorant (the literal use of that word) to know what the day signified (despite it being discussed in the news pretty often recently).

I always enjoy it when FBGs has local perspective, and I'm serious about that. But if what Jones says about OK is true (and I think it likely is), and if we leave out the trolling Juneteenth issue, is that the reason they're doing it in OK? This is the only place where they could do it without health restrictions and without protests? This is not a good place for a campaign to be.

This is really a Tulsa city issue and an Oklahoma state one. Would the authorities let the Thunder play a live game right now? Would they let OU or OSU have an open football practice in their stadiums?

Tulsa:

Cases - 1,443

Per 100K - 224

Deaths - 62

Deaths per 100K - 10

Oklahoma:

Cases - 7,848

Per 100K - 198

Deaths - 359

Deaths per 100K - 9

- OK is one of 23 states where new cases are increasing.

The more I think about it, the more I think it will be canceled. There will be loads of protesters and loads of people protesting the protesters. That’s bound to get ugly.  Then there’s the mask/virus issue.  It’s a mess for Trump.

I always enjoy it when FBGs has local perspective, and I'm serious about that. But if what Jones says about OK is true (and I think it likely is), and if we leave out the trolling Juneteenth issue, is that the reason they're doing it in OK? This is the only place where they could do it without health restrictions and without protests? This is not a good place for a campaign to be.
Well, not the only place but probably the best place where they could find an arena that seats 20k+ available on such short notice.

However there will still be protests even with the date change.

Will the campaign be requiring, or at least strongly encouraging, all the attendees piling into a 20,000 seat arena to wear masks?  Will the campaign be leaving seats in the arena empty to help implement social distancing?  If not, why not?

Will the campaign be requiring, or at least strongly encouraging, all the attendees piling into a 20,000 seat arena to wear masks?  Will the campaign be leaving seats in the arena empty to help implement social distancing?  If not, why not?
Just the opposite. MSNBC reported yesterday that President Trump wants to see the crowd packed in tight without masks. 

Optics?.

This is really a Tulsa city issue and an Oklahoma state one. Would the authorities let the Thunder play a live game right now? Would they let OU or OSU have an open football practice in their stadiums?

Tulsa:

Cases - 1,443

Per 100K - 224

Deaths - 62

Deaths per 100K - 10

Oklahoma:

Cases - 7,848

Per 100K - 198

Deaths - 359

Deaths per 100K - 9

- OK is one of 23 states where new cases are increasing.
So, if they fill a 20k arena, even if the demographics don't match exactly to the population as a whole, there will be something like 10-20 people in attendance that have COVID.  The chance of the person sitting next to you hashing it is low, but the chance that someone will contract it from being in close proximity to a presymptomaric COVID carrier is high, particularly if mask wearing is not enforced.

The more I think about it, the more I think it will be canceled. There will be loads of protesters and loads of people protesting the protesters. That’s bound to get ugly.  Then there’s the mask/virus issue.  It’s a mess for Trump.
He'll move it outdoors before he cancels it.

Just the opposite. MSNBC reported yesterday that President Trump wants to see the crowd packed in tight without masks. 
Trump just gave the commencement address at West Point. The graduating cadets wore masks and sat in chairs spaces apart to comply with social distancing requirements. The cadets were tested for the virus in advance and required to quarantine two weeks in advance of the event. 

Why wouldn’t just some of these same precautions be taken with respect to the attendees of the rally in Tulsa? 

Users who are viewing this thread