Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Marmalade

Trump coming to Tulsa.

Posted (edited)

I'm still seeing a lot of talk about this so hopefully this quells it.

Contrary to popular belief, despite not having stay-at-home orders & opening May 1st (& a low percentage of mask-wearers), we're not dropping like flies around here. We're just not. I went to nursing school with some people who are working in Tulsa's 3 major hospitals & a couple have been on the COVID floors. They all report we're holding our own & doing well.

Pretty funny looking around Facebook & Twitter at some of the comments. More or less suggesting Tulsans could be extinct in a couple months. As far as the masks, if you want to go to the rally & feel you need to wear one, wear it. If they're effective, you won't get it.

Pushing the narrative of forced mask-wearing around here is going to go over like a lead balloon. You're going to get the giant double middle finger. We believe in analyzing the situation & making our own decisions. It's one of many reasons why Oklahoma hasn't had a blue county in a presidential election in awhile (that I remember). If we have one anytime soon, it'll be because Republicans stayed home.

Edited by Football Jones

8 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I'm still seeing a lot of talk about this so hopefully this quells it.

Contrary to popular belief, despite not having any stay-at-home orders & opening May 1st (& a low percentage of mask-wearers), we're not dropping like flies around here. We're just not. I went to nursing school with some people who are working in Tulsa's 3 major hospitals & a couple have been on the COVID floors. They all report we're holding our own & doing well.

Pretty funny looking around Facebook & Twitter at some of the comments. More or less suggesting Tulsans could be extinct in a couple months. As far as the masks, if you feel you need to wear one & want to go, wear it. If they're effective, you won't get it.

Pushing the narrative of forced mask-wearing around here is going to go over like a lead balloon. You're going to get the giant double middle finger. We believe in analyzing the situation & making our own decisions. It's one of many reasons Oklahoma hasn't had a blue county in a presidential election in awhile (that I remember). If we have one anytime soon, it'll because Republicans stayed home.

2000. Bush v. Gore was the last time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

As far as the masks, if you feel you need to wear one & want to go, wear it. If they're effective, you won't get it.

3 f'ing months into this and you STILL don't understand that masks help prevent the wearer from possibly spreading it, not contracting it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

As far as the masks, if you feel you need to wear one & want to go, wear it. If they're effective, you won't get it.

Masks don’t protect the wearer. They protect others from the wearer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cockroach said:

3 f'ing months into this and you STILL don't understand that masks help prevent the wearer from possibly spreading it, not contracting it. 

And for some reason, you're not quite understanding the premise.

If you wear one & they work, you won't get it. The people who are not wearing one fully understand the situation. They could possibly get it from someone not wearing a mask. They all know this.

This is a choice. You're free to make that choice. Many people disagree with it. Welcome to the club.

• Laughing 1

"If you wear one & they work, you won't get it."

Um, nope.

• Like 2

Just now, kwille said:

"If you wear one & they work, you won't get it."

Um, nope.

Huh?

I'm saying it possibly could help you not get it. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

This isn't a hard concept, guys.

It's why I posted what I did above.

You're not forcing ANYONE around here to wear a mask. No idea what the rest of the country does.

We've chosen to take a more "red" approach with re-opening & such. We've got the economy started back up & we're holding our own.

End of story.

4 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

If you wear one & they work, you won't get it.

You need to explain this.  Most people believe that masks work when people wear them collectively, not individually.

4 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

If you wear one & they work, you won't get it. The people who are not wearing one fully understand the situation. They could possibly get it from someone not wearing a mask. They all know this.

This is a choice. You're free to make that choice. Many people disagree with it. Welcome to the club.

Hey yeah for sure.  People understand the risk of driving, and if they get killed by an irresponsible drunk driver that’s their fault.  Shouldn’t have been on the road.  We certainly shouldn’t expect the drunk driver to act responsibility.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Hey yeah for sure.  People understand the risk of driving, and if they get killed by an irresponsible drunk driver that’s their fault.  Shouldn’t have been on the road.  We certainly shouldn’t expect the drunk driver to act responsibility.  

So let me get this straight. If you don't wear a mask for a virus with an extremely low mortality rate, you're being irresponsible?

We had 80,000 or so deaths from the flu a few years ago. Nobody was chastised for not wearing a mask.

I tried to explain our beliefs (as a whole). Tons of good people here who are quite educated (& intelligent). We've decided to do what we're doing (as a rule). 

Edited by Football Jones
  • Laughing 1

This isn't a hard concept, guys.

It's why I posted what I did above.

You're not forcing ANYONE around here to wear a mask. No idea what the rest of the country does.

We've chosen to take a more "red" approach with re-opening & such. We've got the economy started back up & we're holding our own.

End of story.

That will all change if infections get bad enough.  Hopefully it never does in Oklahoma.

Just now, Juxtatarot said:

That will all change if infections get bad enough.  Hopefully it never does in Oklahoma.

Hopefully, it doesn't anywhere. 

Just now, Football Jones said:

So let me get this straight. If you don't wear a mask for a virus a mask with an extremely low mortality rate, you're being irresponsible?

We had 80,000 or so deaths from the flu a few years ago. Nobody was chastised for not wearing a mask.

I tried to explain our beliefs around here (as a whole). Tons of good people here who are quite educated (& intelligent). We've decided to do what we're doing (as a rule). 

At the moment yes absolutely.  There are still far more questions then answers on the virus.  We finally have some data and it’s trending in the right direction but there’s still a #### ton we don’t know.  So yes it’s irresponsible, especially for the level of discomfort or inconvenience the mask requires, which is almost none.  

I just got back from a Home Depot and Popeyes chicken run, I wore a mask.  Not for me but for others.  Its a very minor inconvenience to do for others, that’s called being responsible.  There are tons of good people here who are quite educated (& intelligent) around here. We've decided to do what we're doing (as a rule) and that’s be responsible and respectful of others.  

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

At the moment yes absolutely.  There are still far more questions then answers on the virus.  We finally have some data and it’s trending in the right direction but there’s still a #### ton we don’t know.  So yes it’s irresponsible, especially for the level of discomfort or inconvenience the mask requires, which is almost none.  

I just got back from a Home Depot and Popeyes chicken run, I wore a mask.  Not for me but for others.  Its a very minor inconvenience to do for others, that’s called being responsible.  There are tons of good people here who are quite educated (& intelligent) around here. We've decided to do what we're doing (as a rule) and that’s be responsible and respectful of others.  

Look, you believe you're right. Ok. Fair enough.

My quick take is if you believe you need to wear a mask, wear one. That said, if you're compromised in ANY way, it's not a good idea to get out whether you're wearing a mask or not. I'd suggest only getting out if you have to.

I was simply trying to explain our reasoning. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I believe a lot of things are irresponsible (much more so than not wearing a mask), but it's their choice. 

Edited by Football Jones

20 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

So let me get this straight. If you don't wear a mask for a virus with an extremely low mortality rate, you're being irresponsible?

Yes. Pre-symptomatic carriers can spread the disease to hundreds of other people. So even if the virus has a low mortality rate, and even if all of those carriers are young and healthy alpha males, they can still end up spreading the virus to vulnerable people who will die.

20 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

This is a combination of a false statement plus bad logic.

The statement is false because we didn't have 80K deaths from the flu. It was 61K.

It's bad logic because those 61,000 deaths were out of 45 million cases. Also, the majority of those deaths were people who had access to a vaccine but did not get it.

So, to sum up:

When the risk of death is roughly 1-in-700, and you DO have access to a vaccine, then you DON'T need to wear a mask.

When the risk of death is roughly 1-in-20, and you DON'T have access to a vaccine, then you DO need to wear a mask.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Yes. Pre-symptomatic carriers can spread the disease to hundreds of other people. So even if the virus has a low mortality rate, and even if all of those carriers are young and healthy alpha males, they can still end up spreading the virus to vulnerable people who will die.

This is a combination of a false statement plus bad logic.

The statement is false because we didn't have 80K deaths from the flu. It was 61K.

It's bad logic because those 61,000 deaths were out of 45 million cases. Also, the majority of those deaths were people who had access to a vaccine but did not get it.

So, to sum up:

When the risk of death is roughly 1-in-700, and you DO have access to a vaccine, then you DON'T need to wear a mask.

When the risk of death is roughly 1-in-20, and you DON'T have access to a vaccine, then you DO need to wear a mask.

The mortality rate is what it is.

I do believe compromised people need to take more precautions, though. The average, healthy, non-elderly person has little to worry about (there are always exceptions).

As far as the number I quoted (80,000)… https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

Edited by Football Jones

26 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Look, you believe you're right. Ok. Fair enough.

My quick take is if you believe you need to wear a mask, wear one. That said, if you're compromised in ANY way, it's not a good idea to get out whether you're wearing a mask or not. I'd suggest only getting out if you have to.

I was simply trying to explain our reasoning. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I believe a lot of things are irresponsible (much more so than not wearing a mask), but it's their choice. 

I get it, and I’m not necessarily trying to change your mind. People have the right to be irresponsible if they want, ie drinking and driving, just don’t couch it like you’re being responsible and it’s on the other person.  You and others choosing to be irresponsible affects other people, if it only affected you I wouldn’t have any issue with it at all.  But it doesn’t work that way with this.  I’ll give you another example that isn’t drinking and driving but I don’t agree with, motorcycle helmet laws.  That should be a personal choice.  It’s not because of insurance lobbying.  If someone wants to be irresponsible and not wear a helmet when they ride a motorcycle , they should have the choice, it only affects them (or their family but that’s on them).  Again that’s not the case with this virus.  

• Like 1

I think it is reasonable for people to call out irresponibility wherever they see it and try to adjust their own actions when they have been shown to be irresponible. This is the basic tennent of mutual respect and a key part of a civil society. I'd go so far as to say it is a concept that transcends civics towards basic morality. We live in an awesome country and we are allowed the the liberty to make individual choices. It is kind of on all of us to choose wisely. I don't doubt that everyone in this conversation is acting in good faith but I am concerned that bedrock facts about the utility of face coverings are in question and that is pretty dang important at this moment at a time when we are attempting to get some more stuff open. That's all. 

5 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

I get it, and I’m not necessarily trying to change your mind. People have the right to be irresponsible if they want, ie drinking and driving, just don’t couch it like you’re being responsible and it’s on the other person.  You and others choosing to be irresponsible affects other people, if it only affected you I wouldn’t have any issue with it at all.  But it doesn’t work that way with this.  I’ll give you another example that isn’t drinking and driving but I don’t agree with, motorcycle helmet laws.  That should be a personal choice.  It’s not because of insurance lobbying.  If someone wants to be irresponsible and not wear a helmet when they ride a motorcycle , they should have the choice, it only affects them (or their family but that’s on them).  Again that’s not the case with this virus.  

And we're back to where you believe it's irresponsible (I do not). Lots of things we could talk about as far as irresponsibility (with severe consequences).

Anyway, as somebody who has lived here essentially my whole life, just thought I'd give some snapshots & info since people are interested in the rally & such.

Again, not trying to force my opinions on anyone.

5 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Good lord. You are quoting an outdated article from two years ago. The CDC has revised their estimates since that time.

At any rate, it does little to support your bad logic. 80K deaths from 49 million cases = 1-in-600.

When the risk of death is roughly 1-in-600, and you DO have access to a vaccine, then you DON'T need to wear a mask.

2 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

And we're back to where you believe it's irresponsible (I do not). Lots of things we could talk about as far as irresponsibility (with severe consequences).

Anyway, as somebody who has lived here essentially my whole life, just thought I'd give some snapshots & info since people are interested in the rally & such.

Again, not trying to force my opinions on anyone.

Again not trying to force my opinion on you either but your beliefs on if it’s irresponsible or not have no barring on if it is.  I had a friend in college who absolutely 100% believed he was a better drunk driver than regular driver (he claimed he focused more when he was drunk) and did not at all see anything irresponsible  with it. Was he responsible or irresponsible?

9 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Again not trying to force my opinion on you either but your beliefs on if it’s irresponsible or not have no barring on if it is.  I had a friend in college who absolutely 100% believed he was a better drunk driver than regular driver (he claimed he focused more when he was drunk) and did not at all see anything irresponsible  with it. Was he responsible or irresponsible?

Haha. Drunk driving?

Let's agree to disagree, my man.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Good lord. You are quoting an outdated article from two years ago. The CDC has revised their estimates since that time.

At any rate, it does little to support your bad logic. 80K deaths from 49 million cases = 1-in-600.

When the risk of death is roughly 1-in-600, and you DO have access to a vaccine, then you DON'T need to wear a mask.

Even if they revised it, you're clinging to the thought 60,000 is ok? Yes, I fully understand your stance on the mask issue.

Being especially careful if you're compromised is a very good idea, but a bunch of people want to go to the rally to exercise our political freedoms. I'm betting there'll be a higher incidence of mask-wearing than what I'm seeing out & about (which is very low), but the conditions that will be present are another data point for people to base their decision on. That's how it works here.

I could start railing on many things the Dems are doing as far as irresponsibility, but not going there. I'll continue to post snippets leading up to & a little after the rally just for informational purposes.

Edited by Football Jones

Let’s say you’re COVID-19 positive, but asymptomatic, and do not know you have the virus.  You attend the rally without wearing a mask and end up passing the virus on to 10-12 other people during the course of the long day, waiting in line, walking in crowds on the concourse, and then standing shoulder to shoulder for hours in a packed arena. If you could have prevented all, most, or even some of those transmissions by wearing a mask, in hindsight, would you wish that you had worn one?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Football Jones said:
23 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Even if they revised it, you're clinging to the thought 60,000 is ok?

No, not at all. You're completely misreading here.

60,000 deaths is not OK.

60,000 deaths (out of 45 million cases) is below the level where masks are necessary.

It's so sad that this needs to be explained over and over and over again.

11 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I could start railing on many things the Dems are doing as far as irresponsibility, but not going there. I'll continue to post snippets leading up to & a little after the rally just for informational purposes.

This isn't a "Dem" thing. Trump's CDC is the one recommending masks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

No, not at all. You're completely misreading here.

60,000 deaths is not OK.

60,000 deaths (out of 45 million cases) is below the level where masks are necessary.

It's so sad that this needs to be explained over and over and over again.

It happens every year, though.

Tens of thousands of people, tens of thousands of people, tens of thousands of people, tends of thousands, etc. And on & on. No mask-wearing narrative.

This is an ideal talking point for the Dems. I get it. I really do.

• Laughing 1

17 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Haha. Drunk driving?

Let's agree to disagree, my man.

Yes I’m using an extreme example (though there are plenty of parallels) but that’s to illustrate my point.  

Fair enough. Have a good day.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

This isn't a "Dem" thing. Trump's CDC is the one recommending masks.

And people should make that a data point in their decision-making.

1 hour ago, Football Jones said:

You don't understand the premise.  Regular masks aren't designed to prevent the virus from getting into your body.  That's not how they "work".  I'm not worried about people without masks contracting it.  I'm concerned with them SPREADING it, and that can be done asymptomatically.   That is not a CHOICE, it just happens.  Unless of course you take precautions.  

• Like 1

It happens every year, though.

Tens of thousands of people, tens of thousands of people, tens of thousands of people, tends of thousands, etc. And on & on. No mask-wearing narrative.

Out of tens of millions of cases.

It's stunning that the math is being ignored here.

• Laughing 1

11 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Let’s say you’re COVID-19 positive, but asymptomatic, and do not know you have the virus.  You attend the rally without wearing a mask and end up passing the virus on to 10-12 other people during the course of the long day, waiting in line, walking in crowds on the concourse, and then standing shoulder to shoulder for hours in a packed arena. If you could have prevented all, most, or even some of those transmissions by wearing a mask, in hindsight, would you wish that you had worn one?

Is that a trick question? Haha.

I don't want to give anyone anything. No, I do not.

If that's something the Dems want to try (forced mask-wearing), there are ways to go about it here in the USA.

At this point, you're just banging your head against the wall in reality (no offense).

11 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Hey man, it’s like everyone else’s choice to ya know not wear a mask.  Not my fault.  Freedom of choice.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Hey man, it’s like everyone else’s choice to ya know not wear a mask.  Not my fault.  Freedom of choice.  

There ya go.

I was expecting those kinds of remarks earlier.

;)

Edited by Football Jones

If that's something the Dems want to try (forced mask-wearing), there are ways to go about it here in the USA.

At this point, you're just banging your head against the wall in reality (no offense).

I’m not a Dem and if people were responsible toward other being forced wouldn’t even be on the table.  But I digress...

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

I’m not a Dem and if people were responsible toward other being forced wouldn’t even be on the table.  But I digress...

Gotcha, but LOL at suggesting masks are the answer to COVID-19.

There ya go.

I was expecting those kind of remarks earlier.

;)

Not trying to be a #### at all but it does pretty much summarize your position.   You don’t want someone telling you to do something you don’t want to do, I get it I totally do. If you knew me in real life you would know how true that is. But that’s not the point here, and I’m not gonna try again as I’m know I won’t move the needle.  

Gotcha, but LOL at suggesting masks are the answer to COVID-19.

You keep shifting argument I’ve never said it’s the answer but if it helps why not be responsible towards others and just do it. The only reason to not do it is because you don’t wanna do it, it’s a simple as that. And that’s your choice.

• Like 1

Just now, dkp993 said:

Not trying to be a #### at all but it does pretty much summarize your position.   You don’t want someone telling you to do something you don’t want to do, I get it I totally do. If you knew me in real life you would know how true that is. But that’s not the point here, and I’m not gonna try again as I’m know I won’t move the needle.  

No, you will not move the needle here, but I do have respect for your stance.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Tens of millions of cases, huh?

Again, where's the mask-wearing narrative for seasonal flu?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

It’s not a trick question. It’s an honest question. This isn’t about whether the government should force you to wear a mask. It’s about the specific question I asked.  I’d be interested to hear your answer:

Let’s say you’re COVID-19 positive, but asymptomatic, and do not know you have the virus.  You attend the rally without wearing a mask and end up passing the virus on to 10-12 other people during the course of the long day, waiting in line, walking in crowds on the concourse, and then standing shoulder to shoulder for hours in a packed arena. If you could have prevented all, most, or even some of those transmissions by wearing a mask, in hindsight, would you wish that you had worn one?

Edited by bigbottom

18 minutes ago, Football Jones said:
29 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Tens of millions of cases, huh?

Again, where's the mask-wearing narrative for seasonal flu?

There's no mask narrative because the death rate is less than 1-in-400 cases, and because a vaccine is available.

That's what people have politely been trying to explain.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

It’s not a trick question. It’s an honest question. This isn’t about whether the government should force you to wear a mask. It’s about the specific question I asked.  I’d be interested to hear your answer:

Let’s say you’re COVID-19 positive, but asymptomatic, and do not know you have the virus.  You attend the rally without wearing a mask and end up passing the virus on to 10-12 other people during the course of the long day, waiting in line, walking in crowds on the concourse, and then standing shoulder to shoulder for hours in a packed arena. If you could have prevented all, most, or even some of those transmissions by wearing a mask, in hindsight, would you wish that you had worn one?

Would I want to give someone a viral infection? Absolutely not. Have I inadvertently given someone a viral infection in the past? Probly.

I think I remember you from around here & you seem like a good dude, but this reminds me of a few posters who always try to get me to say something in particular (just an observation).

We make decisions every day. We analyze data & come to a conclusion. There's a ####-load of good people who want to go to the rally. And it's about a helluva lot more than Trump, himself.

I'll just leave it at that. 

Would I want to give someone a viral infection? Absolutely not. Have I inadvertently given someone a viral infection in the past? Probly.

I think I remember you from around here & you seem like a good dude, but this reminds me of a few posters who always try to get me to say something in particular (just an observation).

We make decisions every day. We analyze data & come to a conclusion. There's a ####-load of good people who want to go to the rally. And it's about a helluva lot more than Trump, himself.

I'll just leave it at that. 

Respectfully, that doesn’t answer my question. I’m not trying to make you say anything in particular. I’m just interested in your answer. I acknowledge that it’s a complete hypothetical and you may not agree with the underlying premise. But if you’re inclined to answer the question, I’ve bolded it below:

Let’s say you’re COVID-19 positive, but asymptomatic, and do not know you have the virus.  You attend the rally without wearing a mask and end up passing the virus on to 10-12 other people during the course of the long day, waiting in line, walking in crowds on the concourse, and then standing shoulder to shoulder for hours in a packed arena. If you could have prevented all, most, or even some of those transmissions by wearing a mask, in hindsight, would you wish that you had worn one?

1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

Respectfully, that doesn’t answer my question. I’m not trying to make you say anything in particular. I’m just interested in your answer. I acknowledge that it’s a complete hypothetical and you may not agree with the underlying premise. But if you’re inclined to answer the question, I’ve bolded it below:

Let’s say you’re COVID-19 positive, but asymptomatic, and do not know you have the virus.  You attend the rally without wearing a mask and end up passing the virus on to 10-12 other people during the course of the long day, waiting in line, walking in crowds on the concourse, and then standing shoulder to shoulder for hours in a packed arena. If you could have prevented all, most, or even some of those transmissions by wearing a mask, in hindsight, would you wish that you had worn one?

Well, I didn't think I had to say it, but there's a helluva lot of good people who want to go to the rally who may or may not wear a mask.

1 minute ago, Football Jones said:

Well, I didn't think I had to say it, but there's a helluva lot of good people who want to go to the rally who may or may not wear a mask.

Again, you haven’t answered my question. I’ll repeat it again and bold and underline the question this time.

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Again, you haven’t answered my question. I’ll repeat it again and bold and underline the question this time.

For me, this thread is about Tulsa, but it's easy to ask things akin to asking if you could have eliminated the nonsensical deaths resulting from the hysteria around BLM, would you have abolished the movement & rendered it null & void?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

For me, this thread is about Tulsa, but it's easy to ask things akin to asking if you could have eliminated the nonsensical deaths resulting from the hysteria around BLM, would you have abolished the movement & rendered it null & void?

Perhaps you can answer my question since it’s about the Tulsa rally, which is the subject of this thread as you note above.  I’ll repeat it with the question bolded, underlined and italicized. 

Let’s say you’re COVID-19 positive, but asymptomatic, and do not know you have the virus.  You attend the rally without wearing a mask and end up passing the virus on to 10-12 other people during the course of the long day, waiting in line, walking in crowds on the concourse, and then standing shoulder to shoulder for hours in a packed arena. If you could have prevented all, most, or even some of those transmissions by wearing a mask, in hindsight, would you wish that you had worn one?

Edit: Perhaps we can discuss your question in the BLM thread. 

Edited by bigbottom