Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Marmalade

Trump coming to Tulsa.

34 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Will this be carried live on Fox News and other stations?  I'm sure the ratings will be decent.  Hell, I might even watch it.

And, of course, there aren't many places that would allow a rally like this to happen.  Only the reddest of states.

Well, in the midst of this pandemic, viewing it does has the unfortunate appeal of watching a train wreck (although the damage won't occur for about 15 days, if it does at all).  Personally, I don't really want to see 21,000 people crowded together in an enclosed arena at this time not wearing face masks. :( 

Fox will probably carry it. I don't know about CNN. MSNBC will probably do what they did during his previous rallies, which was to cut to it at times if Trump was saying something newsworthy (as opposed to his standard rally rhetoric).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roadkill1292 said:

There are a lot of really important battleground states that Trump needs to win again this November. Have we discussed the efficacy of opening rally season in a state he won by 37 points?

His options were limited, but the rally can rally people everywhere. Won't it be available to watch?

Anyway, this is an interesting time to be a Tulsan. So many people with their panties in a wad (not talking about you).

And really, (again, not directed at you), spare me the concern, Dems. There's people EVERYWHERE not wearing masks. I hear people say, 'Oh, we're wearing masks around here', then someone else rails on the same location for not wearing them. LOL.

Police your own people, Dems.

Edited by Football Jones

1 hour ago, roadkill1292 said:

There are a lot of really important battleground states that Trump needs to win again this November. Have we discussed the efficacy of opening rally season in a state he won by 37 points?

It is not about efficacy, it is about making him feel good. He wants a crowd of cheering fans. 

Seen some good fights on FB, LOL. It's just the opposite of this forum.

Somebody local will start railing on the rally, then they get curbstomped (verbally) by the masses.

Good stuff.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, General Malaise said:

And lol @ casually stumbling upon OAN one day and being so immediately impressed by their objective news reporting absent any commentary that you were so moved to not only purchase but proudly wear their t-shirt for photo ops with your buds. 

Reminds me of all of the people "discovering" Candice Owens.

Posted (edited)

OU has had some success with Cali boys. Both Jamelle Holieway and Stanley Wilson (who got coked up and missed the Super Bowl) played for Chris Ferragamo (brother of Nebraska/LA Rams QB Vince) at Banning. Steve Sewell (who converted two fourth-down receptions from Elway on The Drive) was from San Francisco. In the 2000s, Roy Williams, Tony Jefferson and Kenny Stills made the trek to Norman, along with some of their teammates and friends from neighboring high schools.

Sorry, found that aspect of discussion more interesting than the Trump rally stuff.

Edited by TakiToki

18 minutes ago, huthut said:

It is not about efficacy, it is about making him feel good. He wants a crowd of cheering fans. 

Well, we know that but he can find 15,000 adoring fans in the battleground states, too.

12 hours ago, timschochet said:

It IS ironic that after Aikman left OU to go to UCLA, they had their best option QB ever- Holloway- who was from Los Angeles. 

You might wanna check your years and facts on that one, buddy

10 hours ago, General Malaise said:

And lol @ casually stumbling upon OAN one day and being so immediately impressed by their objective news reporting absent any commentary that you were so moved to not only purchase but proudly wear their t-shirt for photo ops with your buds. 

:lmao:"My KKK t-shirt? Wait, what?!  I saw that the KKK cleans up trash off the highways, no idea about all that other stuff!"

6 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

You might wanna check your years and facts on that one, buddy

He took over for Troy after Aikman went down. He’s from Banning High School in Los Angeles.what did I get wrong? (I spelled his name wrong) 

48 minutes ago, squistion said:

Well, in the midst of this pandemic, viewing it does has the unfortunate appeal of watching a train wreck (although the damage won't occur for about 15 days, if it does at all).  Personally, I don't really want to see 21,000 people crowded together in an enclosed arena at this time not wearing face masks. :( 

Fox will probably carry it. I don't know about CNN. MSNBC will probably do what they did during his previous rallies, which was to cut to it at times if Trump was saying something newsworthy (as opposed to his standard rally rhetoric).

I have a feeling most of them will wear masks despite Trump’s desire to the contrary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

He took over for Troy after Aikman went down. He’s from Banning High School in Los Angeles.what did I get wrong? (I spelled his name wrong) 

I'll be damned I swear Aikman was after Holleway.  My bad they were teammates and Holleway won the 85 Natty after Aikman got hurt.  I thought Aikman was a few years after him

On 6/13/2020 at 9:16 AM, SaintsInDome2006 said:

This is really a Tulsa city issue and an Oklahoma state one. Would the authorities let the Thunder play a live game right now? Would they let OU or OSU have an open football practice in their stadiums?

Tulsa:

Cases - 1,443

Per 100K - 224

Deaths - 62

Deaths per 100K - 10

Oklahoma:

Cases - 7,848

Per 100K - 198

Deaths - 359

Deaths per 100K - 9

- OK is one of 23 states where new cases are increasing.

Oklahoma is doing fine too, if there wouldn’t be any testing we wouldn’t be seeing so many cases there either.

• Laughing 1

A 1987 article from Ira Winderman of the SunSentinel: BAD BREAK BLESSING TO BRUINS QB

>> Aikman would miss the rest of his sophomore season. Into his place stepped freshman Jamelle Holieway, a quarterback better suited to run the Oklahoma wishbone.

To backtrack even further, when Aikman signed, the Sooners made a commitment to stay with the I-formation that featured the talents of running back Marcus Dupree. Switzer assured Aikman that Oklahoma was distancing itself from its wishbone past.

Aikman was sold; Switzer wasn't. Less than a week after Aikman signed, Dupree left school. Within days, the Sooners were back working on the wishbone.

As a freshman reserve, Aikman tolerated the 'bone. As a sophomore starter, Switzer gave him more freedom to throw out of it. But by the time the Miami game rolled around, it became apparent Aikman was heading in one direction and the Sooners in another. <<

Some people think OU with Aikman would've beaten the Canes. 

What happened in Albuquerque may very well happen in Tulsa.  This event needs to be canceled.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Pence indicated this morning that they will be performing temperature screening and distributing hand sanitizer and masks. That’s definitely a good development. I hope they put a cool Trump logo on the mask so folks will be more inclined to wear them. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Pence indicated this morning that they will be performing temperature screening and distributing hand sanitizer and masks. That’s definitely a good development. I hope they put a cool Trump logo on the mask so folks will be more inclined to wear them. 

Yes, if it is true. We have heard reports (not from any official source) that Trump does not want to see people at his rally wearing masks as he doesn't like the optics (recall he Retweeted a tweet that showed Biden wearing and mocking him for it).

43 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I have a feeling most of them will wear masks despite Trump’s desire to the contrary. 

Do you have a direct quote or link that says Trump doesn’t want people wearing masks at his rallies?

5 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

Do you have a direct quote or link that says Trump doesn’t want people wearing masks at his rallies?

Is Trump, the city or state mandating that masks be worn?  

2 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

It's like OU opening up the season against Rice....it's good to get a tune-up game against a friendly foe that will offer no resistance before the real games start.  

• Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

I do not. Numerous sources say he doesn’t. 

Here’s what we DO know, based on direct sourcing: the reason that Trump moved his part of the convention from North Carolina to Jacksonville is because the former refused to remove the requirement that people wear masks inside the arena. Based on that, and on Trump’s personal refusal to wear a mask, I think it’s a reasonable assumption. 

Just now, timschochet said:

I do not. Numerous sources say he doesn’t. 

Here’s what we DO know, based on direct sourcing: the reason that Trump moved his part of the convention from North Carolina to Jacksonville is because the former refused to remove the requirement that people wear masks inside the arena. Based on that, and on Trump’s personal refusal to wear a mask, I think it’s a reasonable assumption. 

No, it’s not a reasonable assumption. 

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

I do suspect there'll be a higher incidence of mask-wearing than what's been going on here normally.  My best guess is under 5% & micro-locally (Metro), 1 or 2%.

I imagine lots of older folks will be there. Or we could see older folks staying away & then you'll see a percentage closer to what's been happening in public.

9 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I do suspect there'll be a higher incidence of mask-wearing than what's been going on here normally.  My best guess is under 5% & micro-locally (Metro), 1 or 2%.

I imagine lots of older folks will be there. Or we could see older folks staying away & then you'll see a percentage closer to what's been happening in public.

You think there would be any - for lack of a better term - 'peer pressure' from those not wearing masks to encourage others not to wear them either?  I've heard the excuse in the past that wearing a mask isn't 'manly' and so, I can imagine mask wearers suffering some scorn at the hands of non-mask wearers at this event.  

Strange times we're in, fellas.  For all of us.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

You think there would be any - for lack of a better term - 'peer pressure' from those not wearing masks to encourage others not to wear them either?  I've heard the excuse in the past that wearing a mask isn't 'manly' and so, I can imagine mask wearers suffering some scorn at the hands of non-mask wearers at this event.  

Strange times we're in, fellas.  For all of us.

Possibly, but it could also go the other way. Some people may feel the need to dawn a mask when they otherwise wouldn't.

Edited by Football Jones

59 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

What happened in Albuquerque may very well happen in Tulsa.  This event needs to be canceled.

Canceled because of a lone nut? This stuff isn't going away anytime soon. We can't be canceling stuff because of a few punks.

Granted, people around here (as a rule) don't put up with nonsense, but they're also tolerant. Race relations are good.

I'm not denying there isn't potential for some problems, but I have faith.

3 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

Riskless way to run the concept up the flagpole.  Testing the waters on things like the COVID waiver.

• Thinking 1

Gotta run soon, but real quick, I always wonder how people view us. It's not the wild, wild west here...

Yes, Oklahoma is heavily armed (especially Tulsa), but guns are simply a tool for us (& an enjoyment for many).

I can't think of a worse place for people to start rioting, but we're not going to live in fear. It's not how we roll.

Personally, I hope the rally happens (& all is well).

29 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

WTF is wrong with your local area? Is it an Oklahoma thing to not care about a glocal pandemic or your fellow citiziens? How is it that only 1 or 2% of your community are selfless enough to just wear a face covering? This whole scenario is so mind numbingly stupid and makes me happy to not live anywehre near a place like this

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

No, it’s not a reasonable assumption. 

Really? Maybe not to you but to most people it is. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the moops said:

WTF is wrong with your local area? Is it an Oklahoma thing to not care about a glocal pandemic or your fellow citiziens? How is it that only 1 or 2% of your community are selfless enough to just wear a face covering? This whole scenario is so mind numbingly stupid and makes me happy to not live anywehre near a place like this

WTF is wrong with your area? You guys wearing masks?

LOTS of places are reporting VERY low incidence of mask-wearing.

It is what it is.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, the moops said:

And don't get me started on the effectiveness of masks in a public setting (please, LOL).

When this hit, doctors were scrambling to tell us they weren't needed despite already knowing the issues in China.

The narrative magically changed.

Edited by Football Jones

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Really? Maybe not to you but to most people it is. 

Link

1 hour ago, Football Jones said:

Possibly, but it could also go the other way. Some people may feel the need to dawn a mask when they otherwise wouldn't.

Oh, come on!  You're big bad Tulsa, OK!  You're heavily armed, remember?  Manly men only in Tulsa, OK.....no Keds wearing, tight jeans sporting, pony-tailed hipster swish is gonna guilt your toughest of tough guys into dawning masks in their own backyard!  In fact, I expect Trump to scan the room, find the granola-packing, fanny-pack wearing fellas with the masks on and single them out with a "TAKE IT OFF" before he even begins.  It'll be great!  The applause and hoots from the rest of the crowd will be tremendous - some will even say the BEST applause.  

25 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Oh, come on!  You're big bad Tulsa, OK!  You're heavily armed, remember?  Manly men only in Tulsa, OK.....no Keds wearing, tight jeans sporting, pony-tailed hipster swish is gonna guilt your toughest of tough guys into dawning masks in their own backyard!  In fact, I expect Trump to scan the room, find the granola-packing, fanny-pack wearing fellas with the masks on and single them out with a "TAKE IT OFF" before he even begins.  It'll be great!  The applause and hoots from the rest of the crowd will be tremendous - some will even say the BEST applause.  

Big, bad, Tulsa, eh? I guess we are, but you’re trying to be a psychologist & I’m quite sure you’re not qualified to assess such things.

Get over it.

1 hour ago, the moops said:

Want to conquer America,  just introduce a contagion. We will kill ourselves.

Posted (edited)

Some of the funniest things I’ve seen on FB lately are the blowhards who essentially tell Tulsans we’ll be extinct by the 4th of July.

This is with low percentage of mask-wearers everywhere & mass protests going on nationwide.

Rocket scientists, I tell ya.

Edited by Football Jones

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Big, bad, Tulsa, eh? I guess we are, but you’re trying to be a psychologist & I’m quite sure you’re not qualified to assess such things.

Get over it.

Get over what?  I don't care what Tulsa does or doesn't do.  I was just suggesting that I find it highly unlikely that non-masked people will be cajoled into wearing masks once they get into the arena.  I was trying to be funny, but I guess humor doesn't translate well in typed form.  You yourself was the one boasting the amount of fire power and weaponry owned by Tulsans.  :shrug:

Edited by General Malaise

15 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Get over what?  I don't care what Tulsa does or doesn't do.  I was just suggesting that I find it highly unlikely that non-masked people will be cajoled into wearing masks once they get into the arena.  I was trying to be funny, but I guess humor doesn't translate well in typed form.  You yourself was the one boasting the amount of fire power and weaponry owned by Tulsans.  :shrug:

You’re putting words in my mouth. I was “boasting”, eh?

You know what I’m doing. I’ve said repeatedly I’m just reporting info because people are interested in it.

Take it however you want.

Round and round they go, where they stop, nobody......aw, hell, we know they won't stop.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

I always dawn a mask when I'm out in public.

(they sound exactly alike :eek: )

Haha. I just now caught this.

Correct word would've been 'don'. I catch myself doing stuff like that when I'm burning up my keyboard responding to the libs. Fast & Furious.

That, & I can't type worth a #### (which is why I edit almost every post).

Edited by Football Jones

A Tulsa law firm has filed a lawsuit to enforce masks and social distancing at Trump's rally in Tulsa.

Attorneys Clark Brewster and Paul DeMuro filed the lawsuit claiming the rally will endanger the public's health.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/attorney-files-lawsuit-to-stop-president-trumps-rally-in-tulsa

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, squistion said:

A Tulsa law firm has filed a lawsuit to enforce masks and social distancing at Trump's rally in Tulsa.

Attorneys Clark Brewster and Paul DeMuro filed the lawsuit claiming the rally will endanger the public's health.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/attorney-files-lawsuit-to-stop-president-trumps-rally-in-tulsa

We don't have social restrictions here. Not sure what they think they're accomplishing.

Trump is going to win Oklahoma (duh). It's about more than that, though. The protestors will tell you the same thing. If you want to talk numbers, then let's talk numbers. How many people have been at these mass protests since this started & continuing to do so? Yeah.

This is like the clowns who filed a lawsuit when open carry was about to go into effect. All show & no go. There were protests saying there would be blood in the streets like the wild, wild west, LOL (even though other states already had open carry). Their lawsuit went over like a lead balloon. Just a publicity stunt.

This is simply a game to them. These people couldn't care less about public safety (non-negotiable). It's about publicity & some butthurt anti-Trumpers.

Edited by Football Jones

21 hours ago, Football Jones said:

And for the record, I'm Boomer Sooner in football & OSU in wrestling. The rest of it depends on who's good. ;)

Cmon, Okie State and 0U play each other at least twice a year in almost every sport, you have to pick one. Does this actually pass as ok in OK?

Posted (edited)

@SaintsInDome2006 Not following you...

I didn't go to OU or OSU. I get to pick whoever I want for whatever sport.

You mean you're telling me you have to pick a team & stick to it for every sport? Yeah, I can see that if you're an alumni.

I'm like a free agent fan.

Edited by Football Jones

6 hours ago, Football Jones said:

Gotta run soon, but real quick, I always wonder how people view us. It's not the wild, wild west here...

Yes, Oklahoma is heavily armed (especially Tulsa), but guns are simply a tool for us (& an enjoyment for many).

I can't think of a worse place for people to start rioting, but we're not going to live in fear. It's not how we roll.

Personally, I hope the rally happens (& all is well).

I view OK as a suburb of Texas, similar in most respects. Can you help me differentiate the two?

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Terminalxylem said:

I view OK as a suburb of Texas, similar in most respects. Can you help me differentiate the two?

In what regard?

6 hours ago, General Malaise said:

It's like OU opening up the season against Rice....it's good to get a tune-up game against a friendly foe that will offer no resistance before the real games start.  

Why ya gotta be like that 🦉