What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So loud cars are a big thing now? (1 Viewer)

NajehHejan

Footballguy
2020 just keeps getting better.

Out of nowhere I find myself surrounded by loud and noisy cars. Revving up their engine at a red light while throwing off some sweet backfiring. Peeling out when the light turns green, like it’s the Indy 500, showing off that loud engine, speeding away like every red light conversion to green is a new drag race.

This crap is all over the place in Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.

Why are these obnoxious noise pollutants allowed to go unfettered and ruin serenity for everyone else? Is this the new mating call for young dirtbag men? Do chicks actually dig this? Do other meat head guys dig this? Is anyone here immersed in this culture and can explain it to me?

Sorry to come off as old and grumpy. Get off my lawn. Just so annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a life long fully addicted car guy I can tell you it’s always been a thing (one I happen to love still at 45).  As far as trying to explain it it will likely fall on deaf ears (no pun or offense intended), it’s either something you like and understand or it isn’t.  If your not a car guy there’s a decent chance it’s the latter.  

As a life long fully addicted car guy I can tell you it’s always been a thing (one I happen to love still at 45).  As far as trying to explain it it will likely fall on deaf ears (no pun or offense intended), it’s either something you like and understand or it isn’t.  If your not a car guy there’s a decent chance it’s the latter.  
I’d like you to explain, if you wouldn’t mind. 

I used to enjoy the rumble from a V8 and some Flowmasters. And I thought I would enjoy open pipes on my motorcycle.  After a 3,000 mile long distance ride I can't stand any loud exhaust.  That cured me.  I swear that ride almost gave me PTSD.

I’m kind of with you, in that I love that rumble from a V8 or the burble of an Italian made V12. But the thing where people take the muffler off a Honda Civic so it sounds like an Uber loud lawnmower is just annoying. 

This stuff is big in a certain ethnic group in my area. When I hear it, its almost always a Toyota or Honda. 

I’m kind of with you, in that I love that rumble from a V8 or the burble of an Italian made V12. But the thing where people take the muffler off a Honda Civic so it sounds like an Uber loud lawnmower is just annoying. 
man,  that company has really slipped on the quality of rides they approve 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Its been around forever.

Back in college just about to cross the street a loud obnoxious muscle car tore out right in front of me and friend from England who spoke very-properly.

We stood at the curb in stunned silence.  I was embarrassed to be American but that point he turned to me and put his finger up to his mouth like he was in deep thought then he said with a proper English accent.

'Ahh, is that what they call a.. a.. oh what's the word..  ###-HOLE?'

This stuff is big in a certain ethnic group in my area. When I hear it, its almost always a Toyota or Honda. 
Yep. It seems generally to have gotten worse with the release of every Fast and Furious movie. 20-somethings trying to pretend they're Vin F'n Diesel. Sure kid, if you close your eyes, and imagine really, really hard you too are driving a classic 454 and not that 2002 Toyota Corolla with fart can muffler.

New neighbor has a modded out mustang and Yukon, both are loud as ####.

Normally I enjoy a good rumble but this dude comes and goes at all hours and loves to rev it up in his driveway when leaving/arriving.

We get it, you can afford $300 for a muffler. High Five? 

People used to get tickets for stuff like this.  Did the laws change?
I think there are still noise ordinances.  Maybe they just don't enforce them as much.  :shrug:   I got a fixit ticket when I was a kid because I had a hole in a muffler.  I wasn't going to fix it because I thought it sounded good.  :)  

Its been around forever.

Back in college just about to cross the street a loud obnoxious muscle car tore out right in front of me and friend from England who spoke very-properly.

We stood at the curb in stunned silence.  I was embarrassed to be American but that point he turned to me and put his finger up to his mouth like he was in deep thought then he said with a proper English accent.

'Ahh, is that what they call a.. a.. oh what's the word..  ###-HOLE?'
I don't think we're talking about muscle cars here. These cars are closer to sounding like a weed whacker than a GTO.

I am convinced these people are #######s in all ways. We live by a old trolley bridge that gets loud car nerds excited to rev up for a split second of louder stupid loud car. 

Yes - I didn't mention in my post - but like many here have said, it's usually not a true muscle car, but a Honda or Toyota that''s been rigged with. None of it makes any sense to me. I understand that people have their interests and hobbies and passions etc. But this one directly pisses off 90% of the rest of the population. And it's almost like they know it and thrive off of it. Like some badge of honor for being an ####### that doesn't give a #### about the rules or respect. Why go through life being confrontational to strangers, a total ########?

Otis said:
For sure.  I’m not saying I love the sound from every car, just saying I understand the culture and reason. 

I put one of the new pipes on my civic.  The 12 added horsepower means I don't need to turn off the A/C when trying to pass

Lots of lil-weenie guys speeding around and/or "flexing" their loud cars these days.

In the past 24-48 hours I've seen at least 10 idiots going, say, 60 in a 45.  Still less traffic on the roads so these dolts think it's OK to act like Dale Jr.

Sorry, tangent. 

Loud cars annoy me too.

I enjoy the sound of nice exhaust...got it, not the annoying honda's/toyotas, but I have a V8 with an aftermarket exhaust and have always been a car person.  For the most part you are just being old and grumpy.  Never rode a motorcycle, but motorcycles are louder than any of these cars with modified exhausts - they annoy me more than the cars as they can be heard like a mile away.  And Tesla's are the worst, they are boring, ugly, and how can you drive a silent "sports car" lol...they are the non-car persons car.

I enjoy the sound of nice exhaust...got it, not the annoying honda's/toyotas, but I have a V8 with an aftermarket exhaust and have always been a car person.  For the most part you are just being old and grumpy.  Never rode a motorcycle, but motorcycles are louder than any of these cars with modified exhausts - they annoy me more than the cars as they can be heard like a mile away.  And Tesla's are the worst, they are boring, ugly, and how can you drive a silent "sports car" lol...they are the non-car persons car.
Got to say I disagree with your last sentence. If you haven’t driven a Tesla yet you should wait to make that assessment. I’m as car guy is car guy comes, and they are absolute monsters to drive. The torque and instant acceleration is like nothing you’ve experienced before. This coming from a guy who owned 911’s, a big block 66 Chevelle, a 700 horse Mustang, etc etc.  I miss the sound no doubt about it but I’m very much considering one for my daily.  

Tesla is a one trick pony without any of the stuff that makes driving fun like engine sounds, amazing exhaust, banging through gears, etc
It’s a pretty sweet trick though.  But to each is own.  That’s one of the great things about the passion.  

As long as there are teenage boys (or men with the mind of a teenage boy) there will be too loud, not really even fast vehicles around.

I think that the motorcycles are even worse than the cars.

Users who are viewing this thread