What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should I buy a $1000 BBQ Grill? (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
My current BBQ is on it’s last legs.  When I moved into my current home almost 4 years ago the previous owner left their 10-15 year old Fiesta BBQ on the deck.  I’ve been using it since then but it is progressively falling apart, although it still works.  So I have started looking into getting a new BBQ for myself.  The one I really want costs $1000, but as a frugal person by nature, I am having trouble justifying spending $1000 on a BBQ.  I do however have no problem paying a premium price if I am getting good value and the product will last me a long time.  I BBQ a few times a week during the spring/summer/fall months, But I’m not a hard-core griller; I mostly grill burgers, hot dogs, chicken and the occasional steak.  Here are the BBQ’s I am considering:

Weber Genesis II 330 from Costco.  Cost is $1000.  It comes with stainless steel grill grates and an extra layer of steel in the BBQ box for added durability and to keep the warmth inside.  It also has a more premium stainless steel handle.  Other features it has that I may or may not use are a snide burner and a searing station.  

Weber Spirit from Home Depot.  Cost is $650.  No stainless steel grill grates but those can be purchased for an additional $130.  Only one layer of steel in the BBQ box and the handle looks durable, but is plastic.  No side burner or searing station. 

Other BBQ’s I’m looking at in the $300-600 range are a Broil King Signet 320 and Broil Bing Baron which costs around $580, and Broilmate/Sterling BBQ’s in the $300-400 range.  

Now I’ve heard Weber’s quality has gone down in recent years due to them being bought by a private equity firm, so they are no longer the “tanks’ they used to be from 10 years ago.  Many of their BBQ’s are now made in China.  So I would be upset if I paid $1000 and did not get a good 10 years out of it.  

So what would you do in this scenario and why?  I really, really love the $1000 Weber Genesis, but I would be sad if I spent all that money and it was a disappointment.  Should I pony up and get the Genesis?  Do the mid range option of the Weber Spirit/Broil King?  Or a cheaper $300-400 grill?  Very tough decision so I’d appreciate your thoughts.  

You will not be disappointed with anything from Weber.  I've had my Genesis for over 10 years, and it still fires up perfectly every time.  They have replacement parts for the things that are supposed to wear out and warranty the ones that aren't.  I also have two 18" Weber Smokey Mountain cookers.  Recommend their products big time.  Good grilling!

You've waited this long, I'd hold out a bit longer and either get some end of season or Coronavirus deals

Get the Genesis.  You won't use the side burner a lot, but it is nice to have if you need it.  Searing station is nice for steaks.

You should get 10 to 15 years use out of it. May as well spend an extra few hundred on something like this IMO.

I have a Genesis and I have had no complaints...

I don't know if Weber quality has gone down or not, but they are still probably at least a good quality as anything at that price.  But I am not Grill expert...

Personally, I’d go with the high end one. I got a real nice grill when we put in a patio, fireplace and bar. It is a built-in connected to NG. I’ve had it for probably 10 years now. All stainless and aside from some bubbling of the paint on the thermostat on the hood, it’s held up exceptionally well. I actually tried to replace the burners a few years ago just because I thought it would be nice and I couldn’t get the screws to come out so I left it alone and just cleaned as well as I could since everything was still working fine. The grating looks pretty solid for as much heat has been applied to them as they were stainless as well and almost all the ceramic bricks are good. If you get a grill that’s basically all stainless steel, it’s not going anywhere for a long time. I’d recommend a cover as well. Really helps anything that isn’t fully stainless. The cover is the only thing I’ve replaced recently. A decade of sun and the old one was almost hardened and just ripped easily.

I’ve had a Weber Genesis for about 10 years (stainless, I think the S-330 model). Still going strong. Searing station is pretty good for steaks. I’ve gotten some side burner use cooking veggies in a basket.  

Buy a Weber Spirit II E-310 for $479            No need to spend 2x that amount and i've never seen the real need for a side burner
(but makes sure it's the Spirit II to get the full 10 yr ALL PARTS warranty........Don't get the Spirit as the warranty isn't 10 yr)

See my reasons here:  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/703786-official-grilling-and-smoking-thread/page/136/?tab=comments#comment-22702938

I'm like you......grill enough times that i wanted a quality product for the longer haul, but i'm not wanting to go cheap and run into problems
So far, I'm very happy as everything has come out great (steaks, hamburgers, salmon, chicken)

Then, go buy yourself this grill cover for $30: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F8TBJKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
It's a perfect fit that has handles to easily remove it and velcro straps at the bottom to keep it secure. 
You don't really need to pay extra for stainless steel if you are going to cover it up 99% of the time (and IMO, a cover protects it better) 

And then........If you have to assemble the grill yourself, watch this Home Depot installer do it in 20 mins flat.....impressive:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE0DRd9dJi4

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a Weber Spirit II E-310 for $479            No need to spend 2x that amount and i've never seen the real need for a side burner
(but makes sure it's the Spirit II to get the full 10 yr ALL PARTS warranty........Don't get the Spirit as the warranty isn't 10 yr)

See my reasons here:  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/703786-official-grilling-and-smoking-thread/page/136/?tab=comments#comment-22702938

I'm like you......grill enough times that i wanted a quality product for the longer haul, but i'm not wanting to go cheap and run into problems
So far, I'm very happy as everything has come out great (steaks, hamburgers, salmon, chicken)

Then, go buy yourself this grill cover for $30: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F8TBJKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
It's a perfect fit that has handles to easily remove it and velcro straps at the bottom to keep it secure. 
You don't really need to pay extra for stainless steel if you are going to cover it up 99% of the time (and IMO, a cover protects it better) 

And then........If you have to assemble the grill yourself, watch this Home Depot installer do it in 20 mins flat.....impressive:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE0DRd9dJi4
Thanks but keep in mind I'm in Canada. So that $479 Spirit grill you suggested is $650 here in Canada. 

This.  Love my spirit.  
If you can stretch the budget just a bit (1500 or so) this is the perfect combo imo and covers 99% of the cooking you could do and will last a long time.  https://imgur.com/gallery/Pp5L1S5   I’ve had Joe for 10yrs and my Weber for 3+ years and both are like new.  

I'd buy the Weber or possibly the Napoleon (Canadian equivalent of Weber).  I don't think their quality is quite as high but they get a lot hotter than Webers, especially the infrared sear station which is a true separate infrared steak searer not a built in burner.  

You might also consider watching Craigslist and picking up a used Weber.  You'd be surprised the number of Summit, Genesis, and Spirit grills that show up there cheap and in great shape and if needed parts are easy to come by.

Genesis (stainless) owner here too. Going on 10 years for me and it’s still going strong. I got mine for $500 after using a $500 Home Depot gift card I got from AmEx. Worth the  :moneybag:

Grahamburn said:
You will not be disappointed with anything from Weber.  I've had my Genesis for over 10 years, and it still fires up perfectly every time.  They have replacement parts for the things that are supposed to wear out and warranty the ones that aren't.  I also have two 18" Weber Smokey Mountain cookers.  Recommend their products big time.  Good grilling!
X 2.

Weber Genesis lover.  

Genesis (stainless) owner here too. Going on 10 years for me and it’s still going strong. I got mine for $500 after using a $500 Home Depot gift card I got from AmEx. Worth the  :moneybag:
This is the one I have I think. Got it for a work anniversary.  Probably would have been tempted to go the cheaper route if i were shelling out of pocket.

After owning it for 5 years I will never go back to cheap ones and will always buy / recommend Weber.

Problem for them is this thing never breaks and seems like it will last forever.

If you go high end you can reasonably expect 10 years of grilling on it.  15 if you are good with upkeep.  Your price per year is going to be similar to cheap BBQs, but you have to outlay more cash at the beginning for a quality grill.   I prefer Napoleon over Weber, but you won't go wrong with that Weber Genesis that everyone is mentioning.  

If you go high end you can reasonably expect 10 years of grilling on it.  15 if you are good with upkeep.  Your price per year is going to be similar to cheap BBQs, but you have to outlay more cash at the beginning for a quality grill.   I prefer Napoleon over Weber, but you won't go wrong with that Weber Genesis that everyone is mentioning.  
Another vote for napoleon here

Ive loved every weber gas grill I've had.

i dont think you will be disapointed.

Ive had an old Silver C and now a Genesis.

But did just make my first non weber purchase of a Kamado Joe

You might also consider watching Craigslist and picking up a used Weber.  You'd be surprised the number of Summit, Genesis, and Spirit grills that show up there cheap and in great shape and if needed parts are easy to come by.
This times ten.  I see the couple years old Genesis (version prior to the II) pop up on CL for under $150/200 all the time.  Now that the version II has been out for a couple of years, I have seen those for $350ish.

I would check CL and get a used one in great condition.  Your brand new one will look just like that after a few months use.

Sure. I've never known anyone to regret a Weber purchase. And conversely, pretty much every Charwhatever bought at Lowe's/HD ends up as hunk of garbage within a couple of years.

Personally, I'm a Weber Kettle guy. 15 years ago, I told myself I'd roll with the Kettle(s) until I found something I couldn't do with it, and/or got to the point that I felt the need to spend $750 or so on a gasser (if I ever did, it would have to be a Weber). So, it's still the Kettles. But that's just me, and of course, I'm cheap.

Get yourself the most expensive Weber gasser you can afford. You won't regret it. 

Think about it this way if you're frugal....

How often do you grill each year?  40x?  50x?  Let's say once a week, so 50 times per year.  Lifespan of this grill should conservatively be 10 years, or 500 grills.  So, you will be spending $2 on the grill for each time you turn that sucker on.  Is $2 per grill too much to spend?

Whatever brand you get, you probably won't use the side burner much. You will definitely use the searing burner a lot. 

Think about it this way if you're frugal....

How often do you grill each year?  40x?  50x?  Let's say once a week, so 50 times per year.  Lifespan of this grill should conservatively be 10 years, or 500 grills.  So, you will be spending $2 on the grill for each time you turn that sucker on.  Is $2 per grill too much to spend?
The problem with that thinking is it helps you justify buying anything. It's what marketing firms push. 

The problem with that thinking is it helps you justify buying anything. It's what marketing firms push. 
I was actually thinking $2 per use sounded a little high.

But that's the wrong way to look at it anyway, imo. A fantastic grill saves you on restaurant costs. Every single steak grilled on that thing will save you, very conservatively, $10. Say, you're grilling for a family of 4, that thing pays for itself after just 25 uses!

Every time after that and it's basically putting money in your pocket!

Same philosophy applies to lawnmowers and tools too. Spend away gentlemen!

I was actually thinking $2 per use sounded a little high.

But that's the wrong way to look at it anyway, imo. A fantastic grill saves you on restaurant costs. Every single steak grilled on that thing will save you, very conservatively, $10. Say, you're grilling for a family of 4, that thing pays for itself after just 25 uses!

Every time after that and it's basically putting money in your pocket!

Same philosophy applies to lawnmowers and tools too. Spend away gentlemen!
Yes but the problem is a $300-400 grill saves the same amount of money. Hence my dilemma. 

So what's the best Weber stainless model with no side burner or searer? That's what i may look into. I can't see using those things. Haven't grilled in a long time but thinking of replacing our old grill with something nice that will get me out there cooking.

Sure. I've never known anyone to regret a Weber purchase. And conversely, pretty much every Charwhatever bought at Lowe's/HD ends up as hunk of garbage within a couple of years.

Personally, I'm a Weber Kettle guy. 15 years ago, I told myself I'd roll with the Kettle(s) until I found something I couldn't do with it, and/or got to the point that I felt the need to spend $750 or so on a gasser (if I ever did, it would have to be a Weber). So, it's still the Kettles. But that's just me, and of course, I'm cheap.

Get yourself the most expensive Weber gasser you can afford. You won't regret it. 
I love my Kettle.  It'll be 10 years next month.  That thing takes a beating and still keeps going strong.

cap'n grunge said:
So what's the best Weber stainless model with no side burner or searer? That's what i may look into. I can't see using those things. Haven't grilled in a long time but thinking of replacing our old grill with something nice that will get me out there cooking.
I believe that would be the Weber Summit series.

I have this exact one.

That being said, I would recommend the Genesis line and save quite a bit.

I don't see much difference when grilling on my Summit versus the Genesis.  And it's under a cover when not in use.

cap'n grunge said:
Just curious.....What's your reasoning for stainless?
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get the attraction for something that most grill owners will cover up?
For me, warranty is a priority item     (and making sure you know the specifics of what parts it includes or limits)

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get the attraction for something that most grill owners will cover up?
For me, warranty is a priority item     (and making sure you know the specifics of what parts it includes or limits)
I have never covered my grill in the past. Too lazy I guess. Just figured it would last longer, looks nicer. It would sit under my back patio roof anyways.

So I've decided to get the no frills version of the Genesis for $700 instead of the $1000 version. Difference is no stainless steel grates (cast iron instead), no searing station and no side burner. 

Weber Spirit II is the right answer.  You don't need the other stuff that comes on a Genesis from your description.  I do think Weber makes the best quality grills and they are worth the premium but top of the line version from them is not necessary.   I have a Weber Spirit II (this exact model), a Weber Kettle and a Weber smokey mountain so I clearly like their product.  My brother in law buys the cheaper stuff and it is always falling apart on him. 

I’ve had my all stainless (racks and burners too) for over a decade and it’s rock solid. I haven’t actually replaced a thing. I’ve seen non-stainless grill fall apart at this point, especially the insides. It’s been great and if I planned to stay here forever it would be fine. It’s a built-in so assuming I won’t take it with me when we decide to go.

I have a 2 burner Weber and if I did it again would buy something else. The heat is really uneven. You can do a line of food on top of each burner but the entire center of the grill is significantly cooler, so when I'm grilling long/large items or am cooking for a group it gets pretty annoying.

I’ve had my all stainless (racks and burners too) for over a decade and it’s rock solid. I haven’t actually replaced a thing. I’ve seen non-stainless grill fall apart at this point, especially the insides. It’s been great and if I planned to stay here forever it would be fine. It’s a built-in so assuming I won’t take it with me when we decide to go.
When i looked into buying a Weber grill last month, i WAS leaning toward a Spirit as i didn't think i wanted to spend $800 or more on a Genesis (Nemesis with a Genesis....that would have been appropriate!!!).  And I noticed that the website listed a lot of options/variations on the original Spirit model (pay an additional ~$125-$150 for stainless steel or a cabinet). 

So my original plan was to buy a Spirit and upgrade with stainless / cabinet.   But then I looked at the warranties very closely & noticed that the original Spirit line limits the warranty to 5 yrs on the cooking grates/bars......which is the part that is the MOST LIKELY to need replacement.       Meanwhile, the Spirit II line has a FULL 10 yr on ALL PARTS (like the Genesis).  So my plan changed to getting a Spirit II right then and there as I WILL BE contacting Weber in 8 or 9 years and replacing some of the necessary parts for FREE, thereby saving $$ over the life of the grill.    Unfortunately though, the Spirit II line doesn't even offer add'l options like stainless or a cabinet (only 1 model)...........so I feel like buying the Spirit II + a cover was my BEST choice at the $500 pricepoint. 

SPIRIT GAS GRILL WARRANTY
Cookbox/Lid                                                               10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)
Stainless steel burner tubes                                     10 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel cooking grates/Flavorizer bars        5 years, no rust through/burn through
Porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates          5 years, no rust through/burn through
All remaining parts                                                        2 years

SPIRIT II GAS GRILL SERIES WARRANTY
All Parts10 Years (excluding normal wear and tear and subject to additional terms and conditions in the warranty)

GENESIS® II GAS GRILL SERIES WARRANTY
All Parts10 Years (excluding normal wear and tear and subject to additional terms and conditions in the warranty)

https://www.weber.com/US/en/service/warranties/weber-31692.html

I have a 2 burner Weber and if I did it again would buy something else. The heat is really uneven. You can do a line of food on top of each burner but the entire center of the grill is significantly cooler, so when I'm grilling long/large items or am cooking for a group it gets pretty annoying.
I think this is more of 2 burner vs 3 burner issue more than anything

When i looked into buying a Weber grill last month, i WAS leaning toward a Spirit as i didn't think i wanted to spend $800 or more on a Genesis (Nemesis with a Genesis....that would have been appropriate!!!).  And I noticed that the website listed a lot of options/variations on the original Spirit model (pay an additional ~$125-$150 for stainless steel or a cabinet). 

So my original plan was to buy a Spirit and upgrade with stainless / cabinet.   But then I looked at the warranties very closely & noticed that the original Spirit line limits the warranty to 5 yrs on the cooking grates/bars......which is the part that is the MOST LIKELY to need replacement.       Meanwhile, the Spirit II line has a FULL 10 yr on ALL PARTS (like the Genesis).  So my plan changed to getting a Spirit II right then and there as I WILL BE contacting Weber in 8 or 9 years and replacing some of the necessary parts for FREE, thereby saving $$ over the life of the grill.    Unfortunately though, the Spirit II line doesn't even offer add'l options like stainless or a cabinet (only 1 model)...........so I feel like buying the Spirit II + a cover was my BEST choice at the $500 pricepoint. 

SPIRIT GAS GRILL WARRANTY
Cookbox/Lid                                                               10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)
Stainless steel burner tubes                                     10 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel cooking grates/Flavorizer bars        5 years, no rust through/burn through
Porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates          5 years, no rust through/burn through
All remaining parts                                                        2 years

SPIRIT II GAS GRILL SERIES WARRANTY

GENESIS® II GAS GRILL SERIES WARRANTY
Sounds good and if it works for you that’s all the really matters. I will say that if you ever do a built-in, go all stainless. Mine is set into an L shaped granite bar so finding a replacement that fits exactly could be a pain. The cooking grates on mine are stainless and aside from some discoloration just from heat over 12 years, they look like they’ll last another 12 easy. I do keep it covered though which is pretty much a must for any grill you want long term.

Also, having it hooked up to NG from the house is awesome. I have never had to ever worry about fuel and refilling. It’s so nice.

Users who are viewing this thread