What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HOW ‘BOUT THEM COVIDS?! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it won't be a problem except for a very rare minority, nobody really knows yet though. If someone is going to get it, 2 months before the season starts is better than in October.

Puts the season into question though. I'm wondering if it'll come down to players having to sign a waiver and choosing to play.  Or the season could get canned if they're worried about liability.

By the way, I posted a new topic as this is about the Texans & Cowboys players, or I woulda gone for the team topic. 

also I couldn’t resist that title. :pickle:

Puts the season into question though. I'm wondering if it'll come down to players having to sign a waiver and choosing to play.  Or the season could get canned if they're worried about liability.
Yeah - I‘m also curious about whether NFL contracts have “act of god” clauses that void them for natural disaster.

The issue is serious enough to be concerned about the season. This disease disproportionately effects people of color, and NFL personnel is disproportionately made up of people of color, but some of that can be preexisting conditions like sickle cell or diabetes. Age isn’t as much a factor as previously thought, and transmission rates are still kind of a mystery. 

long term effects come more with the % of patients who require oxygen, or in more serious cases intubation, but the physical damage to those can be career threatening (also life threatening, obviously) 

scary stuff. 

Maybe they can test all players and personnel before every practice and game.  Even still, what happens when one tests positive?  Quarantine all the players they came in contact with?  During the season it will happen and then what?

Maybe they can test all players and personnel before every practice and game.  Even still, what happens when one tests positive?  Quarantine all the players they came in contact with?  During the season it will happen and then what?
Yeah - it’s a mess. NFL over here pretending everything’s fine. Season as scheduled. Nothing to see here. 

timing-wise they’ve been the luckiest of all the sports, but them chickens ‘bout to come home to roost as the calendar pages keep turning. 

From a real life perspective I wish nobody was getting Covid19. From a fantasy/fan perspective I'm glad Zeke got it now and not during the playoff hunt.

:unsure:

well this doesn’t bode well. Given the long-term impact to lung function, there is definitely a FF implication, which of course comes second to the risk of loss of life.

i mean, in places other than a FF forum, of course. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Texans-Cowboys-players-positive-COVID-tests-15340985.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=sftwitter

There was a post today in FFA about a 20 something getting the first successful double lung transplant. Her lung damage was from a Covid19 infection.

Also with how poorly Washington has handled staph infections in the past I sure hope they don't get an outbreak in their facilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a post today in FFA about a 20 something getting the first successful double lung transplant. Her lung damage was from a Covid19 infection.
Yeah - news from Sat IIRC. 

the picture of the damaged lung was beyond belief. It looked like it was made of wax & had melted/been eaten by locusts. 

Also with how poorly Washington has handled staph infections in the past I sure hope they don't get an outbreak in their facilities.
Oh man - I did not even think of this. Yes, some teams would be worse spots for an outbreak than others. 

Player; “Coach, I have COVID”

Coach: ”no you don’t.”

P: ”no, really, doc says I do”

”shut up before we fine you!”

:doh:  

Wasn't the Von Miller thread enough for this?   For pretty much every pro athlete (or healthy person), the symptoms both short and long term will be the same as many other flu strains.  Unless we plan on threads every time someone gets ill during the season, this looks like some desperation for a news story.  These guys testing positive right now will be completely fine and totally unaffected during the season. 

Wasn't the Von Miller thread enough for this?   For pretty much every pro athlete (or healthy person), the symptoms both short and long term will be the same as many other flu strains.  Unless we plan on threads every time someone gets ill during the season, this looks like some desperation for a news story.  These guys testing positive right now will be completely fine and totally unaffected during the season. 
I didn’t see a Von Miller thread. :shrug:  

The season is definitely still in doubt. How many players are going to come out and say they don't want to play? The teams can't make them I don't think. 

You don’t know that at all. 

you just claimed “anyone testing positive will be fine”

you don’t know that either. 

Probably, but you don't know that at all. Even if he doesn't get hospitalized or worse, his lungs could get damaged, which is pretty terrible for an athlete.
I'm choosing my words carefully as to not be labelled as "not taking the virus serious enough"... because this couldn't be farther from the truth. 

Yes I do know he will be fine,  Ok sure, there's a chance he isn't.  But there's just as good of a chance he will suffer long term affects the next time he gets a cold or the flu.  So I expect you to make a topic for this as well.

"Even if he doesn't get hospitalized or worse".... you know his odds of that are under 1% right?   This is clickbait at its most extreme.

I'm choosing my words carefully as to not be labelled as "not taking the virus serious enough"... because this couldn't be farther from the truth. 

Yes I do know he will be fine,  Ok sure, there's a chance he isn't.  But there's just as good of a chance he will suffer long term affects the next time he gets a cold or the flu.  So I expect you to make a topic for this as well.

"Even if he doesn't get hospitalized or worse".... you know his odds of that are under 1% right?   This is clickbait at its most extreme.
Yes, I know the odds for people in their 20s suffering are quite low, but they're not non-existent. So, I would say he is at much higher risk of lung problems than he was last season or compared to any player who doesn't have COVID 19.

I don’t know if you’re not taking the virus seriously enough or not.

What I do know is that you’re speculating  medical prognosis for players who’ve tested positive without knowing any of their medical history, pre-existing or underlying conditions that could complicate it or knowing severity of their symptoms.

Players are humans. Thus the same averages apply, more or less. A small % of those who contact COVID19 will require hospitalization. A smaller % will require oxygen. A smaller % still will require a ventilator, and about half of those people will die. 

we know that for a fact.

we also know that people of color have been more adversely affected. We do not yet know if this is socioeconomic (Less access to healthcare) or something biological (see: sickle cell & diabetes reference above)   

What we definitely do not know is whether every player who’s tested positive will be ok. 

Yes, I know the odds for people in their 20s suffering are quite low, but they're not non-existent. So, I would say he is at much higher risk of lung problems than he was last season or compared to any player who doesn't have COVID 19.
These numbers are relative.  So he goes from risk of long term lung issues from say 0.01% to 0.02% is technically "much higher".  The risk is almost zero.

As for "quite low but non existent", the odds of him choking on a piece of steak are also quite low but not non-existent.

As for "quite low but non existent", the odds of him choking on a piece of steak are also quite low but not non-existent.
Yet likely significantly higher, were we in the middle of a “choking on steak pandemic”, Which we’re not.

otherwise your analogy is spot on. 👍🏼

Shot / chaser. 
:rolleyes:  
You said "EVERYONE".  No not everyone will be fine.  Elderly people will not be fine.  So your quote was not at all what I said.

Yes, "these guys" that you quoted in the post, and NFL athletes, will be totally fine during the season.

I don’t know if you’re not taking the virus seriously enough or not.

What I do know is that you’re speculating  medical prognosis for players who’ve tested positive without knowing any of their medical history, pre-existing or underlying conditions that could complicate it or knowing severity of their symptoms.

Players are humans. Thus the same averages apply, more or less. A small % of those who contact COVID19 will require hospitalization. A smaller % will require oxygen. A smaller % still will require a ventilator, and about half of those people will die. 

we know that for a fact.

we also know that people of color have been more adversely affected. We do not yet know if this is socioeconomic (Less access to healthcare) or something biological (see: sickle cell & diabetes reference above)   

What we definitely do not know is whether every player who’s tested positive will be ok. 
You could use this argument for everything.  The odds of Zeke's season being compromised by a Covid Diagnosis right now are the same as if he got a flu right now.  Or drove himself down the freeway to practice.  The reason you don't have a "Zeke drove himself down a busy highway" threads is because it's not as "clickbait-y" as Covid is.  This is a virus that needs to be taken more seriously than it has been based on the people it could affect, but to 99% of the population who get it, it's not a big scary deal.

You said "EVERYONE".  No not everyone will be fine.  Elderly people will not be fine.  So your quote was not at all what I said.

Yes, "these guys" that you quoted in the post, and NFL athletes, will be totally fine during the season.
and again: you absolutely, for a fact, do not know this.

its something you’re pulling right out of thin air, based on absolutely nothing.  

You could use this argument for everything.  The odds of Zeke's season being compromised by a Covid Diagnosis right now are the same as if he got a flu right now.
no, they’re not. At all. Because COVID19 =/= the flu. 

the flu doesn’t cause anything remotely resembling COVID19 damage.

Or drove himself down the freeway to practice.  The reason you don't have a "Zeke drove himself down a busy highway" threads is because it's not as "clickbait-y" as Covid is.
or maybe that’s because he does have COVID19, and  also that no one reported that he “drove himself down the highway”.

had he “drove himself down the highway”, it would only have been newsworthy if he had crashed.

so for an accurate, logically formed analogy, you might instead say, “if he drove himself down the highway and got into a car crash with potentially life-threatening injuries”.

because he actually does have COVID (reportedly) and the severity, duration & symptoms of his infection are unknown. It could be benign or it could be life-threatening. 

This is a virus that needs to be taken more seriously than it has been based on the people it could affect, but to 99% of the population who get it, it's not a big scary deal.

And without a crystal ball, you don’t know for whom it will or will not be “a big deal”. Not at all. Not for any player, coach, or personnel. They’re all just human beings, and without time and testing, we have no idea how each of them will respond since it’s a case by case basis. That’s just science. 

i admire the contrarian schtick though. A for effort. The analogies need work. 

Yet likely significantly higher, were we in the middle of a “choking on steak pandemic”, Which we’re not.

otherwise your analogy is spot on. 👍🏼
Likely more healthy 20 year olds are dying from choking on food then they are from Covid right now.  So yes it is.  There has been 72 deaths in America from Covid from people aged 15-24, from Feb 1st-June 6th.  Almost all of them had prior health issues. 

It's a pandemic because people are dying.  It's a huge issue.   It is not a huge issue for healthy 20 year olds whatsoever (it's a huge issue for them because of the risk of passing it on to others)  It's no more of an issue for a healthy 20 year old (the only people we are discussing in this thread) than if they got the influenza or a different strain, so why not make a thread for players who have that?

Likely more healthy 20 year olds are dying from choking on food then they are from Covid right now.  So yes it is.  There has been 72 deaths in America from Covid from people aged 15-24, from Feb 1st-June 6th.  Almost all of them had prior health issues. 

It's a pandemic because people are dying.  It's a huge issue.   It is not a huge issue for healthy 20 year olds whatsoever (it's a huge issue for them because of the risk of passing it on to others)  It's no more of an issue for a healthy 20 year old (the only people we are discussing in this thread) than if they got the influenza or a different strain, so why not make a thread for players who have that?

A healthy 20-something just had a lung transplant. 

heres a healthy 20-something who just died of COVID. 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-30/25-year-old-dies-coronavirus-warning

They’ve discovered that it causes strokes in people as young as 20. Strokes of the sort that geriatrics get. 

its a pandemic because ~1000 people a day are dying from it. Of all ages. And it’s worse than previously thought for younger people, even if it’s not fatal. Because we don’t yet know what happens to someone who gets it, recovers and goes down the road 5, 10 or 15 years. 

its a disease that attacks the blood vessels. Which means a player, like Zeke, could get it, have no-to-mild symptoms, and recover. Then he could go out and play football, have a massive stroke and die on the field because a blood vessel in his brain was damaged from the “mild” infection. 

which probably would not be categorized as being just fine. 

I understand what you're saying. But there’s simply way too much that we do not yet know about this virus & it’s long-term effects to make declarations like that. 

and again: you absolutely, for a fact, do not know this.
I do not know this.  But I also don't know he won't choke on a piece of meat.  The risks to his season are the same.

its something you’re pulling right out of thin air, based on absolutely nothing.  
Based on the facts that there's almost no deaths from healthy 20 year olds.  Those that are pro athletes and have the top medical care in the country?  Would be an absolute miracle if an NFL player died from Covid.

no, they’re not. At all. Because COVID19 =/= the flu. 
Never said they're the same thing.  Influenza strains can be as bad or worse than Covid for Zeke.

the flu doesn’t cause anything remotely resembling COVID19 damage.

or maybe that’s because he does have COVID19, and  also that no one reported that he “drove himself down the highway”.

had he “drove himself down the highway”, it would only have been newsworthy if he had crashed.
I think your analogies need work.  Driving himself down the highway puts him at risk of missing the season, as does Covid.  Both or those risks are incredibly minute.  But I get it, you're attracted to fancy headlines.

so for an accurate, logically formed analogy, you might instead say, “if he drove himself down the highway and got into a car crash with potentially life-threatening injuries”.
Huge stretch here.  A car crash with life threatening injuries is the same as getting covid? 

because he actually does have COVID (reportedly) and the severity, duration & symptoms of his infection are unknown. It could be benign or it could be life-threatening. 
This is an easy safe stance to take.  Easy to run from the facts and say "well we simply don't know for sure!  So it's worth discussion!  This could be massive!".  You'd make a good ESPN headline maker.

And without a crystal ball, you don’t know for whom it will or will not be “a big deal”. Not at all. Not for any player, coach, or personnel. They’re all just human beings, and without time and testing, we have no idea how each of them will respond since it’s a case by case basis. That’s just science. 

i admire the contrarian schtick though. A for effort. The analogies need work. 
Not shtick at all.  There's going to be a lot of players testing positive for Covid.  A lot.  This disease is out there, and the vast majority of people who have it will never even know.  This is not a big scary thing like you're making it out to be, for the healthy people who are getting it.  This is a very very big huge scary thing for those who are elderly.  If anything, this will HELP Zeke's numbers this year, as he will be fairly immune to it throughout the season, and those players who do inevitably get the disease will have to miss a week or two of game action.

The woman who received the double lung transplant had no underlying conditions, though.

A healthy 20-something just had a lung transplant. 

heres a healthy 20-something who just died of COVID. 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-30/25-year-old-dies-coronavirus-warning

They’ve discovered that it causes strokes in people as young as 20. Strokes of the sort that geriatrics get. 

its a pandemic because ~1000 people a day are dying from it. Of all ages. And it’s worse than previously thought for younger people, even if it’s not fatal. Because we don’t yet know what happens to someone who gets it, recovers and goes down the road 5, 10 or 15 years. 

its a disease that attacks the blood vessels. Which means a player, like Zeke, could get it, have no-to-mild symptoms, and recover. Then he could go out and play football, have a massive stroke and die on the field because a blood vessel in his brain was damaged from the “mild” infection. 

which probably would not be categorized as being just fine. 

I understand what you're saying. But there’s simply way too much that we do not yet know about this virus & it’s long-term effects to make declarations like that. 
Of course there are exceptions to everyone. I have read about the healthy 20 year old who died of it.  Again, there's more healthy 20 year olds dying from choking on steak.  But that isn't worth a headline.

1000 people a day dying from it... yes.  "of all ages" is a pretty loaded statement.  Look at the numbers of those in their 20's.... and of those numbers, almost ALL had other conditions.  I don't think you are grasping the numbers (or you're choosing not to grasp as it doesn't fit your narrative).  It fits the narrative better to just claim "it kills people of all ages" when in fact... while this is true, it does not paint the whole picture.  That's like saying every man should be tested for breast cancer every year since it affects both men and women (0.5% of cases are men).

"Could" is a very easy word to throw around.  Yes I agree with you he "could" have a stroke and die on the field.  I could list a million things that "could" happen because he happened to run this yellow light or eat from this restaurant, or didn't wear a mask when he played playstation at Dak's house. 

Based on how low the odds are that he 'has a stroke on the field' due to covid, and how much higher they are that he somehow gets the virus mid season and is forced to miss a couple games, this is very good news for Zeke's fantasy outlook that he tested positive this week.

Based on how low the odds are that he 'has a stroke on the field' due to covid, and how much higher they are that he somehow gets the virus mid season and is forced to miss a couple games, this is very good news for Zeke's fantasy outlook that he tested positive this week.
But we do not know those odds yet. 

no one does. Sorry, I don’t believe that you know more than doctors / scientists right now, random person on the internets.

everything that follows the bolded shows you didn’t bother to read what I wrote. 

have a nice day.  

The woman who received the double lung transplant had no underlying conditions, though.
Yes, it happens.  I never said the odds were 0%.  I said the odds are so incredibly low, that the above mentioned woman could have just as easily died in a car accident. 

Those aged 20-30 have a 0.03% chance of dying if they are infected from Covid.  So that means Zeke's odds (if you throw him in with all the unhealthy people getting it too, which is most of them), is 1/3000.  If you look at the healthy 20 year olds that are infected with the disease (like zeke and like the woman with the double lung transplant, etc), his odds are closer to 1 in 666 666 of death. 

Yeahokpal :fishing:

good schtick. Ya got me to reply a few times there.   :rolleyes:  
I think you're the one fishing here.  I understand you're known for getting off on clicks, but this is a little much.  Maybe try to stick to the topic.  This is great news for Zeke's fantasy numbers that he got this virus now.

But we do not know those odds yet. 

no one does. Sorry, I don’t believe that you know more than doctors / scientists right now, random person on the internets.

everything that follows the bolded shows you didn’t bother to read what I wrote. 

have a nice day.  
I did read what you wrote.  And YOU are the one ignoring doctors and scientists and numbers, all of which have proven there is an EXTREMELY low risk to Zeke.  Easy for you to justify your fear in this by saying "Extremely low isn't zero!  Look a big headline!  Look at me!  You can't prove it's no risk!".

I've stated over and over that there's a risk that he got it, but that the risk is so much lower than you're making it out to be, and lower then things he does in his every day life.  He will be treated and he will get over this before camp starts, and this will be a non issue.  When he has a stroke on the field come back and @ me.

A big unknown, if the season proceeds,  is what will happen if ANY player tests positive. Pull the player....quarantine team....pause the season....?

As far as Zeke being names, wasn't he in the press awhile ago for non-social distancing stuff? Was he at the party Dak got dinged about?
This.  This is the important point to take away from this.  There's going to be players testing positive no doubt.  There's huge risk to them passing it on to teammates who could pass it on to family, and this could be a very serious issue for their elderly family members.  I think there's no doubt they will make a player who tests positive stop all activity with the team (and rightfully so), and no re-join the team until they are 7 days symptom free.  Luckily for Zeke he got this now and will be almost completely immune to getting it again (yes, for god sakes I know there's a tiny CHANCE he can get it again, but very very unlikely)

I did read what you wrote.  And YOU are the one ignoring doctors and scientists and numbers, all of which have proven there is an EXTREMELY low risk to Zeke.  Easy for you to justify your fear in this by saying "Extremely low isn't zero!  Look a big headline!  Look at me!  You can't prove it's no risk!".

I've stated over and over that there's a risk that he got it, but that the risk is so much lower than you're making it out to be, and lower then things he does in his every day life.  He will be treated and he will get over this before camp starts, and this will be a non issue.  When he has a stroke on the field come back and @ me.
This message brought to you from the dept of talking out of one’s rear. 

This message brought to you from the dept of talking out of one’s rear. 
Once again ignoring facts to get clicks.  Have fun with that.  Zeke has almost zero risk of this hurting him this season, and more risk of him being injured in a car accident.  The numbers don't lie.  But keep up your fishing.

Once again ignoring facts to get clicks.  Have fun with that.  Zeke has almost zero risk of this hurting him this season, and more risk of him being injured in a car accident.  The numbers don't lie.  But keep up your fishing.
I don’t care about “clicks” and the facts are we have no idea what the long term effects from even a mild case of COVID 19 will be.

Yet you continue to insist that everyone will be fine and that there will be no repercussions to any players who get it.

Sorry, but that is preposterous as you have no way of knowing that, since literally nobody knows that yet.

The media and some people like to find the youngest possible victims and act like it's a common occurrence.  It's not.  COVID is of very little concern to almost all young people.  Of course there is the exception and that's what these people seem to get off on.

The media and some people like to find the youngest possible victims and act like it's a common occurrence.  It's not.  COVID is of very little concern to almost all young people.  Of course there is the exception and that's what these people seem to get off on.
Or, hear me out, some of those in the media want to pretend that this is a disease that affects only old people so that we can re-open the economy and force “essential workers“ back to work, sacrificing their health for the economy while cutting off unemployment benefits while the business owners stay home & safe. 

In other words, some people want to politicize what is in fact a medical issue. To pretend a pandemic isn’t a pandemic because “the economy!”. 

And the fact is, we don’t know who this actually affects and how. We don’t know anywhere near enough about this pandemic to make sweeping judgments about who it affects and how.

there have been both old people and young affected. Healthy and unhealthy. A 40-something marathon runner dead in a week from it. A 90-something year old WWII vet with all sorts of maladies who survived it. Or a 30-something nurse I knew who passed away after a 5 week battle with it. 

What we know now is so much different than what we knew at the beginning of this.  

We see large swaths of elderly dying because they’re in homes with concentrated populations of people with age & other preexisting conditions. That tends to skew the numbers to where people say “see! It disproportionately effects old people! Young people have nothing to worry about”. 

except now we know that’s just another false narrative. It will effect any large population in a small area & we still don’t know what underlying conditions make people more susceptible.

For a short time people blamed the obese - because that’s always an easy target for people who aren’t obese to blame victims for their own demise. Then we see an otherwise healthy, not obese 6 year old girl die & narratives go out the window.

what we do know is that

• anyone can get it

• it’s a disease that attacks blood vessels - which explains the broad spectrum of symptoms. 

• A large number of deaths have not been attributed to COVID19 that should have been.  Ex: Florida had the lowest COVID death rate of any state for a month or so, yet somehow 5000 people died of “pneumonia” in a 5 week period. The annual average was like 700. 

• Strokes & embolisms are now being identified as a symptom.

• a % of those who get it will become much more sick than others

• a % of those people will require hospitalization

• a % of them will need a ventilator.

• About 60% of that last group will die a horrible death. 

what we do not actually know, but people think we know:

• what underlying factors contribute to who gets it & how bad

• what the long term effects might be.

it is that last bullet I’m concerned with for NFL talk. Because like chicken pox -> shingles, there may be some long-term impacts of this disease that we simply do not know about.  And those might be in effect regardless of how severe someone’s symptoms are.

i’m not saying I know for a fact there will be long-term or recurring symptoms. I’m not a scientist & unlike some in here I won’t pretend to know how *anyone* who contracts it will recover, much less Their long-term prognosis. 

all we know is that we just don’t know enough. And because of that, anyone who gets this, no matter how mildly, can’t be dismissed as “‘no risk”. 

Does that mean you shouldn’t draft Zeke in dynasty? I have no idea. I probably would. :shrug:

but I would do it knowing that there is risk. And that risk is greater than Zeke choking on steak or driving himself to work, because he does in fact have COVID19, allegedly. 

There are subtler effects to be concerned about.

It's one thing if a young desk jockey gets COVID-19, feels like schmidt for a week, apparently recovers, and returns to the office. If he can't go up the office stairs so easily any more ... big whoop, take the elevator. If he gets winded faster and can't last as long during weekend pickup basketball with the guys, it's fine. Latent blood clots in the lungs after recovery won't generally stop our desk jockey from living his life. He'll notice effects, and spend a good 6-12 months getting closer to normal ... but his typical day-in-day-out activities are within reach with only slight modification.

Those same post-recovery blood clots in a pro athlete? Won't affect a lot of them very much. Some others will have to curtail their training to varying degrees -- they'll have more sessions where they aren't "feeling it". A few others affected a little more will end up being on pitch counts during both training camp and the regular season. A few guys will experience pain in one or both arms after expending effort on the field (say, an LB running down someone from behind) -- and that pain can recur during rest as well (e.g. in bed). A few will experience shortness of breath during and after games, and sometimes also while resting.

An admittedly very small number -- almost certainly less than five league wide -- may experience damage to the heart muscle and/or their kidneys. I don't know what team doctors would say to those athletes, but private doctors would advise them to limit physical activity until their organs heal. With these symptoms, a desk jockey can return to pounding the keyboard and keep returning for testing every month or two to check their organs' progress. But athletes need their bodily systems running as close to 100% as possible -- small compromises in lung, heart, and kidney function will affect performance. While young pro athletes will typically have excellent prognoses after a COVID-19 infection, they certainly can't take the finer points of their recovery for granted.

Or, hear me out, some of those in the media want to pretend that this is a disease that affects only old people so that we can re-open the economy and force “essential workers“ back to work, sacrificing their health for the economy while cutting off unemployment benefits while the business owners stay home & safe. 

In other words, some people want to politicize what is in fact a medical issue. To pretend a pandemic isn’t a pandemic because “the economy!”. 

And the fact is, we don’t know who this actually affects and how. We don’t know anywhere near enough about this pandemic to make sweeping judgments about who it affects and how.

there have been both old people and young affected. Healthy and unhealthy. A 40-something marathon runner dead in a week from it. A 90-something year old WWII vet with all sorts of maladies who survived it. Or a 30-something nurse I knew who passed away after a 5 week battle with it. 

What we know now is so much different than what we knew at the beginning of this.  

We see large swaths of elderly dying because they’re in homes with concentrated populations of people with age & other preexisting conditions. That tends to skew the numbers to where people say “see! It disproportionately effects old people! Young people have nothing to worry about”. 

except now we know that’s just another false narrative. It will effect any large population in a small area & we still don’t know what underlying conditions make people more susceptible.

For a short time people blamed the obese - because that’s always an easy target for people who aren’t obese to blame victims for their own demise. Then we see an otherwise healthy, not obese 6 year old girl die & narratives go out the window.

what we do know is that

• anyone can get it

• it’s a disease that attacks blood vessels - which explains the broad spectrum of symptoms. 

• A large number of deaths have not been attributed to COVID19 that should have been.  Ex: Florida had the lowest COVID death rate of any state for a month or so, yet somehow 5000 people died of “pneumonia” in a 5 week period. The annual average was like 700. 

• Strokes & embolisms are now being identified as a symptom.

• a % of those who get it will become much more sick than others

• a % of those people will require hospitalization

• a % of them will need a ventI later

• About 60% of that last group will die a horrible death. 

what we do not actually know, but people think we know:

• what underlying factors contribute to who gets it & how bad

• what the long term effects might be.

it is that last bullet I’m concerned with for NFL talk. Because like chicken pox -> shingles, there may be some long-term impacts of this disease that we simply do not know about.  And those might be in effect regardless of how severe someone’s symptoms are.

i’m not saying I know for a fact there will be long-term or recurring symptoms. I’m not a scientist & unlike some in here I won’t pretend to know how *anyone* who contracts it will recover, much less Their long-term prognosis. 

all we know is that we just don’t know enough. And because of that, anyone who gets this, no matter how mildly, can’t be dismissed as “‘no risk”. 

Does that mean you shouldn’t draft Zeke in dynasty? I have no idea. I probably would. :shrug:

but I would do it knowing that there is risk. And that risk is greater than Zeke choking on steak or driving himself to work, because he does in fact have COVID19, allegedly. 
lol now you're really fishing.  The risk is not greater because he has covid.  Again you're making things up.  You can say "ok there's steak in his mouth... there's a risk already there... he could get over it and swallow it fine, or he could choke and die".  Ignoring facts by saying "i'm not an expert and neither is anyone else" is just a big safety net you've built yourself here, as it's an easy claim to make when really there's very very very little risk to Zeke here.  "Oh but we don't know how much!".  *Roll Eyes*.... you're reaching and I think you know it now.

It seems you've got other concerns with the economy being opened up, and that is totally fine to have your concerns.  This makes a lot more sense now as to why you are taking this ridiculous 'stance/non stance" on the Zeke issue.  There's lots of freeforall threads on covid that you can openly discuss the economy opening too soon without trying to hide your agenda in a football related thread.

This is absolutely a pandemic and I agree with you on many fronts.  But the seriousness of this virus (that we both agree on) is not "serious for everyone because everyone can get it".  It is very serious for the elderly, and Therefore, it is very serious for a young person to get it who can pass it along.  Making this about Zeke's possible long term health affects from this is nuts and I think you know it.

He dodged a bullet getting it now and not having to miss time this year.  As long as he isolates and uses his top doctors if he even gets the slightest cough, things will be business as usual for any NFL player testing positive.  There's going to be a lot of them this year.  It's a non issue for THEM and their health.  It's a huge issue for their potential playing time and elderly family members they may come in contact with.

I'd be interested to know what the NFL is actually planning to do re the season. I have no doubt they will do everything they can to make sure it goes ahead, but everyone seems to be acting like it's just going to go ahead like a normal season. There's almost no chance that can happen, given that 20k + people are still being infected in the US every single day. 

Here in Australia, our Australian Rules season started back up again this week (after a 2 month or so cancellation) with no or minimal crowds (i.e. in the low hundreds, spread out), and the players have been training in isolation hubs basically where they aren't in contact with family, friends etc, with all games being played in just a few locations, and players being tested regularly. The NRL (Rugby League) is doing something similar.

The conditions that they are operating in are really strict and being enforced tightly, and the only way that these leagues have been allowed to start up again is because Australia has largely been able to contain the virus, with cases down in the single figures most days recently, with some states having no cases for many days consecutively. Obviously, the scale is different to the US, but we are in this situation now due to pretty strict lockdown measures and high level community buy-in. We are still getting minor outbreaks here and there in a couple of states (and will likely have more due to recent BLM protests), but things are opening up and there is a good tracing and isolation structure in place to prevent further issues as much as possible.

Obviously the US is in a much different situation. Not looking to compare apples and oranges, but I just would have thought that you'd need to be in a much different position in terms of the virus being contained and managed to consider being able to have the season go ahead safely. It's just difficult to imagine how they are going to do it and I wonder what is going on behind the scenes in terms of logistics and planning because it seems incredibly naïve to think games are going to start as scheduled and it's all going to be fine. 

Glad you think it’s funny that my friend died of COVID @Deamon. Pure class right there. 
And for the 4th time, you're putting words into my mouth in order to support an 'argument' here.  I absolutely do not think it's funny your friend died of Covid.  I would never ever say that in a million years.  My best friend's grandmother died from it as well, it's a very serious issue. 

Your thoughts on the economy and your friend's unfortunate case seems to really be making this personal for you and not at all about the actual chances of Zeke's career being affected.  Hopefully you can cope with those things, I wish you the best.

Zeke will be fine.  Nothing to see here.

Glad you think it’s funny that my friend died of COVID @Deamon. Pure class right there. 
Quite a stone to throw.  I put a laughing emoji on your post which didn't even MENTION anything about your friend, and you take this as "You're laughing at my friend dying, you're unclassy".  Yikes man. 

Thankfully this got moved as it was recognized that this does not, and will not have football ramifications on any of these players. 

You'll get more hits on your fishing in a politics forum anyways, so I guess you'll be happy.

:unsure:

well this doesn’t bode well. Given the long-term impact to lung function, there is definitely a FF implication, which of course comes second to the risk of loss of life.

i mean, in places other than a FF forum, of course. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Texans-Cowboys-players-positive-COVID-tests-15340985.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=sftwitter
It's not just a FF problem IMO it's an NFL problem. If this happens during the season there's a decent chance the other players won't want to be in the locker room or on the field.

It's not just a FF problem IMO it's an NFL problem. If this happens during the season there's a decent chance the other players won't want to be in the locker room or on the field.
Yep exactly.  Too risky to have it spread to those it could really affect.  Players are going to have to be extremely careful to distance all season if they want to play 16 games.  This is the issue here.  Luckily for those who get it now they will mostly be immune to it once the season starts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread