Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hot Sauce Guy

Several Cowboys & Texans Test Positive for COVID19

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

So here’s one positive: it seems like we’re getting closer to really figuring out what causes transmission. 

Translating the recommendations here with football, I don’t think it’s going out on a limb to suggest there won’t be fans in attendance.

as for distancing, it’s also hard to imagine a locker room or huddle or tackle with distancing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-exactly-do-you-catch-covid-19-there-is-a-growing-consensus-11592317650?mod=wsjtwittertest19

If they want to have at hope of a season, they can't seriously be considering having fans in attendance. You'd think no crowds is a baseline requirement at this point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, huthut said:

I feel like I am getting too involved in strategy for fantasy football this year, going to feel more disappointed if the season is cancelled or shortened due to Covid. 

Been there, done that with FBB. :cry: 

I have such a good 6x6 Ro Ro+H2H lineup. Power, speed, depth - I did so much pre-work, that it was one of those drafts where I was so completely prepared it almost felt unfair. Picks that fell to me didn’t make it past me. I drafted perfectly for our format, and got every one of my targets every round. Nabbed all my sleepers too. 

and they haven’t played a single inning. :doh: 

I loathe the idea of going through that again. But I’m sure I will. We just picked a draft date. Now I’ve gotta get motivated for it. Usually that’s an easy call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, yoman said:

:lol:  Cowboys fans only know how to communicate by screaming or yelling so this  obviously wouldn't work for them.

I think I remember reading on one of the threads on this site that they were going to use fake crowd noise and images of fans during broadcasts.  It will be business as usual for the crappy teams that already have to resort to playing fake crowd noise.

If only New Orleans were still the Aints. They’d be COVID19-ready what with the paper bags. :shrug: 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, huthut said:

I feel like I am getting too involved in strategy for fantasy football this year, going to feel more disappointed if the season is cancelled or shortened due to Covid. 

Me too!

I have all the time in the world but very little desire to do any research. I feel like I will be doing some cramming this year...Hopefully!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

If only New Orleans were still the Aints. They’d be COVID19-ready what with the paper bags. :shrug: 

Half of them probably wouldn't wear the bags.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If states can get serious right now about Covid there is a chance for a season. Arizona just shut down bars, gyms, movie theatres, water parks etc for a month. That's a start in addition to the mask wearing. It will take a few weeks before we start seeing results.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mongidig said:

If states can get serious right now about Covid there is a chance for a season. Arizona just shut down bars, gyms, movie theatres, water parks etc for a month. That's a start in addition to the mask wearing. It will take a few weeks before we start seeing results.

Yep. 2 months is enough time to bring this thing under control. 

without getting too “politics forum” even Mitch McConnell told people to wear masks today. That feels like a turning point, societally. 

but since there’s an anti-mask “movement” out there it’s hard to hold out hope that science wins.

I read if everyone wore a mask for a couple of months, we’d see 80%+ reduction in new cases. That would conceivably be enough to get this to a manageable level where contact tracing would be effective.

IF that can happen (and it’s a big if) I’ll be a lot more optimistic about an NFL season. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

it’s hard to hold out hope that science wins.

This isn’t science, it’s a pandemic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

This isn’t science, it’s a pandemic!

Wut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Blackbear said:

Well that would require a mandate from our president. Not gonna happen. He values typical life very little. 
 

This will drag on. Eventually a vaccine will come out. Hopefully loss of life is minimized. The poor folks at the nursing homes are stuck. Can’t get away and have no control. 

I feel the same. I don’t wanna be accused of being all doom & gloom though so I’m trying to look at the best case scenario. It’s at least possible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I feel the same. I don’t wanna be accused of being all doom & gloom though so I’m trying to look at the best case scenario. It’s at least possible. 

At this point, I think it is fair to say no one is counting on him to be of any help with this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, huthut said:

I feel like I am getting too involved in strategy for fantasy football this year, going to feel more disappointed if the season is cancelled or shortened due to Covid. 

I’m the opposite. Besides the FFPC rookie draft that happened in April/May, I haven’t put any effort into prepping for the new year. Every time I think of sending an email to the dynasty leagues I commish and co-commish to discuss league rules for a possible shortened season, I think "what’s the use? This will probably all change between now and early August" and I jut put it off. I know it will end up meaning we'll be cramming to fit in some voting on rule and our drafts, but just not worth sending an email, deciding, then things change, send more emails, decide again. Procrastination has served me well before, so why not now ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, joey said:

Every time I think of sending an email to the dynasty leagues I commish and co-commish to discuss league rules for a possible shortened season, I think "what’s the use?

for the league I commission it was like pulling off a bandaid. Bite the bullet & get the convo going. Your league will appreciate it. I’ve been commishing this league for ~14 years, and I was surprised about how flexible & reasonable everyone was. 

it’s a crap discussion to have, but it’s one every league should be back right now IMO. Of course stuff will change, but better to start having a framework now that can be adapted than scrambling if things do start up again. :shrug: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

 

for the league I commission it was like pulling off a bandaid. Bite the bullet & get the convo going. Your league will appreciate it. I’ve been commishing this league for ~14 years, and I was surprised about how flexible & reasonable everyone was. 

it’s a crap discussion to have, but it’s one every league should be back right now IMO. Of course stuff will change, but better to start having a framework now that can be adapted than scrambling if things do start up again. :shrug: 

 

I am starting a new league through leaguesafe. Basically if we get heavy interruptions before week 8 it is a refund. And we play for free. Heavy interruptions means several players with sickness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blackbear said:

I am starting a new league through leaguesafe. Basically if we get heavy interruptions before week 8 it is a refund. And we play for free. Heavy interruptions means several players with sickness. 

Yeah - we all agreed to pay for the site renewal & pay the rest as an amount due of the season goes off without a hitch.

if anything stops the season, no one owes anything. 

i trust all these guys. We’re all local. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Yeah - we all agreed to pay for the site renewal & pay the rest as an amount due of the season goes off without a hitch.

if anything stops the season, no one owes anything. 

i trust all these guys. We’re all local. 

If I was Goodell. I would move all games to Sunday. With the exception of two. Two games played on Saturday. One at 5 pm est. the other at 8 pm est. then I would mandate after games two days rest. Then first day back checks for COVID. And prior to game time for Saturday all players get another COVID check. No fans in the stands. Players families and owners and employees are allowed in boxes. And the stand are filled with dummies like the Japanese are doing. And after game time all lockerooms are sanitized including the boxes. And allowed to pump in crowd noise at reasonable levels. Now this may seem ignorant. But this can protect against spread of disease and still keep football afloat. Thoughts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blackbear said:

Well that would require a mandate from our president. Not gonna happen. He values typical life very little. 

Disagree completely. But this also isn't the place to discuss. This doesn't belong in the Shark Pool. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Desmond opts out of his contract over COVID, and a whoooole lot of other stuff.

wondering how many pro athletes are going to reprioritize. 

This is a heck of a read. Woof. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCCp7aSptTr/?igshid=f81kedeq3y0q

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I will say my peace and be gone. Yes pun intended. 
 

it is a blessing we even have life. We literally live on the outer crust of a big ####### molten rock. At any moment this balance can be upset. And we vanish. The fact that we have to pick on each other due to race, or country, or political ideals, or religion is completely IGNORANT. 
 

wake up world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blackbear said:

If I was Goodell. I would move all games to Sunday. With the exception of two. Two games played on Saturday. One at 5 pm est. the other at 8 pm est. then I would mandate after games two days rest. Then first day back checks for COVID. And prior to game time for Saturday all players get another COVID check. No fans in the stands. Players families and owners and employees are allowed in boxes. And the stand are filled with dummies like the Japanese are doing. And after game time all lockerooms are sanitized including the boxes. And allowed to pump in crowd noise at reasonable levels. Now this may seem ignorant. But this can protect against spread of disease and still keep football afloat. Thoughts?

I'd add that players should be tested before every practice too (as long as the NFL/Teams are paying for these tests).  It's a quick and easy test, why not over test anyone? 

Interesting take on eliminating TNF and MNF... not sure the league would lose this revenue.

I'd almost eliminate families in boxes too.  Unless you're testing all of them as they enter too.  Test everyone who steps foot in that stadium.  All older/immune compromised stadium staff, team staff, family, etc... absolutely banned from entering stadium.  Pay them to stay out if you have to, its a no brainer investment for the league.

I'm sure there will be crowd noise.  And you can be very creative with the sounds/volumes too based on what's happening every second on the field.  AFL does it now and you can't tell it's not a packed stadium unless you look.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I'd add that players should be tested before every practice too (as long as the NFL/Teams are paying for these tests).  It's a quick and easy test, why not over test anyone? 

Interesting take on eliminating TNF and MNF... not sure the league would lose this revenue.

I'd almost eliminate families in boxes too.  Unless you're testing all of them as they enter too.  Test everyone who steps foot in that stadium.  All older/immune compromised stadium staff, team staff, family, etc... absolutely banned from entering stadium.  Pay them to stay out if you have to, its a no brainer investment for the league.

I'm sure there will be crowd noise.  And you can be very creative with the sounds/volumes too based on what's happening every second on the field.  AFL does it now and you can't tell it's not a packed stadium unless you look.

Normally I don’t like you. But today I think you make sense. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Blackbear said:

Normally I don’t like you. But today I think you make sense. 

I don’t like you...my friend doesn’t like you either.

Edited by Snorkelson
Jedi business, move along

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

I don’t like you...my friend doesn’t like you either.

Oh well, I will have to live with that. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Blackbear said:

Oh well, I will have to live with that. 🤣

Good way to lose an arm in a cantina.

Edited by Snorkelson
Simply a Star Wars joke, you’re ok as far as I know:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snorkelson said:

Good way to lose an arm in a cantina.

Oh nooo. Never mind. I could lose an arm in cantina. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

I'd add that players should be tested before every practice too (as long as the NFL/Teams are paying for these tests).  It's a quick and easy test, why not over test anyone? 

Interesting take on eliminating TNF and MNF... not sure the league would lose this revenue.

I'd almost eliminate families in boxes too.  Unless you're testing all of them as they enter too.  Test everyone who steps foot in that stadium.  All older/immune compromised stadium staff, team staff, family, etc... absolutely banned from entering stadium.  Pay them to stay out if you have to, its a no brainer investment for the league.

I'm sure there will be crowd noise.  And you can be very creative with the sounds/volumes too based on what's happening every second on the field.  AFL does it now and you can't tell it's not a packed stadium unless you look.

How about, as a last resort if things are still awful, the league plays AFC games odd weeks and NFC games even weeks. You play 6 games against your division and 4 games against another division in your conference. None against the other conference. 10 game season for each conference, 20 weeks of games for the league. 1 Saturday night, 5 games Sunday day, 1 Sunday night, 1 game Monday night. Now you can offset some of the Covid risk by reducing games/injuries/exposure and when a team has a few players who get it they’re less likely to miss multiple games. Of course that game missed will now be 10% of the season.

 

It would also set up a more realistic possibility of quarantining players. You get tested, you play, you get tested, you get a few days off to spend with your family, you come back in Friday/Saturday, get tested again and then you’re staying in a team hotel while prepping for the next game.
 

You could also do what baseball discussed- realign divisions for this year. Put Baltimore, Philly, Washington, Pittsburgh in one. Pats, Jets, Giants, Bills. Panthers, Saints, Jags, Falcons. Reduce long flights, bus when possible (is loading a bus even considered safer than loading a private jet for a short flight?). I think the league will implement the testing/safety precautions necessary to play their season without going to these other measures but part of the reason I’m optimistic about some sort of the season is that they’ve got many many people a whole lot more engrossed in this stuff than us working on outside-the-box alternatives to find a way to put something on the field. Rather than punt on a few billion dollars or whatever it is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackbear said:

Oh nooo. Never mind. I could lose an arm in cantina. 

Please drop this and keep this thread in the Shark Pool 100% on how this relates to the NFL. There are huge threads in our other forums where folks are talking about everything else as it relates to this very serious issue. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.