What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1979 #1 “Comfortably Numb” Pink Floyd (3 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
OK I don’t know how many of these I’m going to do but thiey are quite fun (if a lot of work.) This year struck me as particularly interesting. It doesn’t have the sheer number of incredible output as 1971 (no other does) but because popular music was going through so many changes, 1979 has incredible diversity. 

A few rules before I start: the recording has to have originated in 1979. For example, “Heart of Glass” by Blondie was released as a single in 1979, but it first appeared on the album Parallel Lines in 1978. Therefore it is not eligible. Similarly, songs that appear in albums in 1979 but were released as singles in 1978 are not eligible. One change I am making: live versions of songs released in 1979 are eligible. I do this because there are a few famous songs that were either only recorded live or are more famous for their live version than their studio.

Just as with my 1971 thread: this is an objective list of the greatest songs of the year. It is not a list of my personal favorites. If you disagree with me keep In mind that I am smarter than you and know more than you do about everything. Are you listening, @squistion

Hope you guys enjoy this. 

100. “My Way” Sid Vicious 
99. “Pop Muzik” M

98. “Ring My Bell” Anita Ward 

97. “In the Navy” The Village People

96. “One Step Beyond” Madness

95. “Beautiful Girls” Van Halen 

94. “Cars” Gary Numan 

93. “Sunday Papers” Joe Jackson

92. “Jimmy Jimmy” The Undertones 

91. “Fins” Jimmy Buffett

90. “Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor,Doctor)” Robert Palmer 

89. “Overkill” Motörhead

88. “Heartache Tonight” Eagles 

87. “Discovering Japan” Graham Parker morning 

86. “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” Bauhaus 

85. “Babe” Styx

84. “Dreaming” Blondie 

83. “The Guns of Brixton” The Clash 

82. “Dirty White Boy” Foreigner

81. “California Uber Alles” Dead Kennedys

80. “Prime Time” The Tubes 

79. “Even the Losers” Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 

78. “Walking on the Moon” The Police 

77. “Rock and Roll Fantasy” Bad Company 

76. “Longer” Dan Fogelberg 

75. “10:15 Saturday Night” The Cure 

74. “Sara” Fleetwood Mac

73. “Heartbreaker” Pat Benatar 

72. “Girls Got Rhythm” AC/DC 

71. “Precious Angel” Bob Dylan 

70. “I Can’t Tell You Why” Eagles 

69. “No Class” Motörhead 

68. “Double Life” The Cars 

67. “The Rose” Bette Midler 

66. “Planet Claire” The B-52s

65. “Goodbye Stranger” Supertramp

64. “Los Angeles” X 

63. “We Are Family” Sister Sledge 

62. “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” The Charlie Daniels Band 

61. “After The Love Has Gone” Earth, Wind & Fire 

60. “Young Lust” Pink Floyd 

59. “What I Like About You” The Romantics 

58. “Making Plans for Nigel” XTC 

57. “Breakfast in America” Supertramp 

56. “Sad Eyes” Robert Eyes 

55. “Fool in the Rain” Led Zeppelin 

54. “Accidents Will Happen” Elvis Costello & The Attractions 

53. “Boogie Wonderland” Earth, Wind & Fire with the Emotions 

52. “Rock Lobster” The B-52’s 

51. “Jumping Someone Else Train” The Cure 

50. “Hey You” Pink Floyd 

49. “Bad Girls” Donna Summer 

48. “A Message to You, Rudy” The Specials 

47. “I Wanna Be Your Lover” Prince 

46. “Cruel to Be Kind” Nick Lowe 

45. “Working My Way Back to You/Forgive Me Girl” The Spinners 

44. “Don’t Do Me Like That” Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 

43. “Hey Hey My My (Into the Black” Neil Young & Crazy Horse 

42. “Run Like Hell” Pink Floyd

41. “Local Girls” Graham Parker 

40. “Off the Wall” Michael Jackson

39. “Dream Police” Cheap Trick

38. “Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)” Pink Floyd 

37. “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’” Journey 

36. “Good Times” Chic 

35. “Oliver’s Army” Elvis Costello & the Attractions 

34. “Here Comes My Girl” Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 

33. “Rock N’ Roll High School” The Ramones 

32. “Tusk” Fleetwood Mac 

31. “Why Can’t I Touch It” The Buzzcocks

30. “Rock With You” Michael Jackson 

29. “Ladies Night” Kool & the Gang 

28. “Lost in the Supermarket” The Clash 

27. “Blow Away” George Harrison 

26. “Rappers Delight” The Sugarhill Gang 

25: “Chuck E’s In Love” Rickie Lee Jones 

24. “I Don’t Like Mondays” The Boomtown Rats

23. “Message in a Bottle” The Police 

22. “I Got You” Split Enz

21. “The Logical Song” Supertramp 

20. “Let’s Go” The Cars 

19. “Funkytown” Lipps, Inc. 

18. “I Want You to Want Me” Cheap Trick 

17. “My Sharona” The Knack 

16. “All My Love” Led Zeppelin 

15. “Refugee” Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 

14. “Brass in Pocket” Pretenders 

13. “London Calling” The Clash 

12. “Mother” Pink Floyd 

11. “Boys Don’t Cry” The Cure 

10. “Take the Long Way Home” Supertramp 

9. “Dance the Night Away” Van Halen 

8. “Video Killed the Radio Star” The Buggles 

7. “Highway to Hell” AC/DC 

6. “Life During Wartime” Talking Heads 

5. “Hot Stuff” Donna Summer 

4. “Sail On” The Commodores 

3. “Train in Vain” The Clash 

2. “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” Michael Jackson 

1. “Comfortably Numb” Pink Floyd 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sure, pick the one year from 1974-1982 where Rush didn’t release a studio album... ;)

100. Sid Vicious “My Way” (unreleased)

https://youtu.be/rDyb_alTkMQ

The above link is from the film The Great Rock and Roll Swindle, but it’s soundtrack album (also released in 1979) doesn’t include this song which was never actually released despite extended radio play on alternative radio. A separate live version was released following his death later in the year in a collection called Sid Sings. 
Sid couldn’t sing. He could scowl though, and with a powerful band backing him it seems to work. I’m betting Sinatra was not too impressed by this version however, if he ever actually  heard it. 

100. Sid Vicious “My Way” (unreleased)

https://youtu.be/rDyb_alTkMQ

The above link is from the film The Great Rock and Roll Swindle, but it’s soundtrack album (also released in 1979) doesn’t include this song which was never actually released despite extended radio play on alternative radio. A separate live version was released following his death later in the year in a collection called Sid Sings. 
Sid couldn’t sing. He could scowl though, and with a powerful band backing him it seems to work. I’m betting Sinatra was not too impressed by this version however, if he ever actually  heard it. 
Glad you're doing this countdown, but wait a few to start schticking it up. 

Good year. “My Sharona” was the #1 song on the day that I was born.  
My Sharona is my favorite single of all time (which may surprise a lot of people). And believe you me, I have a music collection the size of Texas. Let's see where Tim ranks the song. Allowing for personal preference, if it's not in the Top 10 there may be even more rioting in the streets. No pressure.

Just as with my 1971 thread: this is an objective list of the greatest songs of the year. It is not a list of my personal favorites. If you disagree with me keep In mind that I am smarter than you and know more than you do about everything. Are you listening, @squistion
Your arbitrary choices on Best of 1971 list proved that you are incapable of doing anything remotely resembling an objective list.

So now we will have all your personal faves from the year you were 14. Indeed that will be enlightening. 

Your arbitrary choices on Best of 1971 list proved that you are incapable of doing anything remotely resembling an objective list.

So now we will have all your personal faves the year you were 14 years old. Indeed that will be enlightening. 
They're trying to have a real discussion. You're ruining it with stuff like this. If you can't be cool in here, please don't post. 

99. M “Pop Muzik” (from New York * Paris* London* Munich
I won this album (vinyl!) at my elementary school's fair after winning a long-forgotten carnival game. I remember thinking the cover art was seriously cool. I have no recall of any other track on this album except for "Pop Muzik".

I used to love that song as a wee lad. Later, I became "cool" and dismissed songs like this as fluffy schlock.

In the last year or so, I've caught "Pop Muzik" a few times a month on Sirius XM's First Wave channel. And you know what? I was right the first time -- this is a fun little listen. I guess it kinda does belong in 1979 ... but it's fun to drift back for three minutes now and then.

timschochet said:
That’s really cool. Where were you a DJ? 
I was 16 and just started my Junior year of high school.  I was hired by my local small-town radio station in Southern Illinois to do part-time and weekend shifts. I later worked full-time in multiple small and medium markets in Illinois, Alabama and Louisiana. I am no longer in the business full time, but I've been fortunate to do PBP for a mid-sized university for 20 years! 

98. Anita Ward “Ring My Bell” (from Ring My Bell)

https://youtu.be/URAqnM1PP5E
By 1979, disco was pretty much done. The public was moving on, influenced by New Wave, Post Punk, hard rock, and other genres newly emerging. But disco saved some of its very best offerings for its dying embers, as hopefully will be demonstrated on this list. “Ring My Bell”, Anita Ward’s only claim to notoriety, is a noteworthy example of the best disco had to offer in the year of 1979. There will be a few others. 

timschochet said:
How do you stand on a song initially released in 1978 but re-released in 1979 when it became a big hit?  

98. Anita Ward “Ring My Bell” (from Ring My Bell)

https://youtu.be/URAqnM1PP5E
By 1979, disco was pretty much done. The public was moving on, influenced by New Wave, Post Punk, hard rock, and other genres newly emerging. But disco saved some of its very best offerings for its dying embers, as hopefully will be demonstrated on this list. “Ring My Bell”, Anita Ward’s only claim to notoriety, is a noteworthy example of the best disco had to offer in the year of 1979. There will be a few others. 
Once it’s in your head it’s stuck for a while

squistion said:

So now we will have all your personal faves from the year you were 14. Indeed that will be enlightening. 
:shrug:

it’s his list , we may not agree but it’s his list not ours or some critics. I love threads like this. I like them even more when it moves me to critic his choices

97. The Village People “In the Navy” (from Go West

https://youtu.be/nmGuy0jievs

This was the last big hit for the Village People. After this song, which made the top 10, they disappeared into obscurity. 
One thing I remember about these guys is how popular they were among older people. My grandparents and their friends all loved them. I found them annoying as a teenager; I had no clue that they were gay icons until decades later. But their main hits are kind of catchy. 

97. The Village People “In the Navy” (from Go West

https://youtu.be/nmGuy0jievs

This was the last big hit for the Village People. After this song, which made the top 10, they disappeared into obscurity. 
One thing I remember about these guys is how popular they were among older people. My grandparents and their friends all loved them. I found them annoying as a teenager; I had no clue that they were gay icons until decades later. But their main hits are kind of catchy. 
It's funny because as a kid, these were just songs to me. When I listened as an adult it was funny to realize just how "gay" all the lyrics truly were.

This is fun - but one small critique. You say greatest songs - but it seems like you mean greatest rock/pop songs. You had basically no country songs in your 1971 list. And Willie released Me and Paul in 1971. Hell, Willie could probably be on every list you make for a year. 

timschochet said:
A few rules before I start: the recording has to have originated in 1979. For example, “Heart of Glass” by Blondie was released as a single in 1979, but it first appeared on the album Parallel Lines in 1978. Therefore it is not eligible. Similarly, songs that appear in albums in 1979 but were released as singles in 1978 are not eligible.
I can appreciate you want to show consistency with the 1971 thread, but your rigidity is a disappointment. Let’s take the example you cite.

While the album came out in 1978, the single was released in January 1979. Heart of Glass reached #1 in the UK and the US - crossing over to top several distinct genres - and is forever linked with 1979. It was a platinum single and top 20 for the entire year (arguably has held up better than anything else on this list.)

Really hope you will reconsider

FTR really enjoying these threads, thanks for doing it Tim.

96. Madness “One Step Beyond” (from One Step Beyond...)

https://youtu.be/N-uyWAe0NhQ

Hey you! Don’t watch dat! Watch dis!

And so began the career of one of the most strikingly visual bands of the 80s, just in time for the video era. One of several British bands who played  Jamaican ska for a white British audience, but these guys got some American exposure as well, thanks to MTV. This instrumental (a cover of a 60s ska hit) was their debut. The album that it’s from is excellent; my favorite song is “Bed and Breakfast Man”. 

I can appreciate you want to show consistency with the 1971 thread, but your rigidity is a disappointment. Let’s take the example you cite.

While the album came out in 1978, the single was released in January 1979. Heart of Glass reached #1 in the UK and the US - crossing over to top several distinct genres - and is forever linked with 1979. It was a platinum single and top 20 for the entire year (arguably has held up better than anything else on this list.)

I get your point, but the list is already done. 

When I did the one hit wonder list I spent over  half the time defending songs that weren’t technically one hit wonders but felt like they were. I was determined not to go through that again. So the rules are rigid but I think it will turn out OK. 

This is fun - but one small critique. You say greatest songs - but it seems like you mean greatest rock/pop songs. You had basically no country songs in your 1971 list. And Willie released Me and Paul in 1971. Hell, Willie could probably be on every list you make for a year. 
This is a very valid criticism. It’s less an intentional omission than it is a demonstration of my low knowledge of the genre. There are a few other genres that I am really lacking in as well. 

That's why the counterpoint countdowns like Bracie's are good for songs that didn't make Tim's list. Different strokes for different folks. 

I’m not really a country person myself, but I’d agree with that.  I was expecting Dolly Parton’s Coat of Many Colors to show up at some point, for example, but it didn’t make either Tim’s or Bracie’s list.

95. Van Halen “Beautiful Girls” (from Van Halen II)

https://youtu.be/bJ9h2m06sFQ

Towards the end of this song, David Lee Roth says “put down that cellphone”!? What cellphone? This was 1979. Nostradamus Lee Roth! 
In any case, this band didn’t seem to have any problem attracting beautiful girls, or women...I never saw them back in the day but I was told by several friends of mine who did that they had never seen so many stunning females in one place. 

Towards the end of this song, David Lee Roth says “put down that cellphone”!? What cellphone? This was 1979. Nostradamus Lee Roth! 
In any case, this band didn’t seem to have any problem attracting beautiful girls, or women...I never saw them back in the day but I was told by several friends of mine who did that they had never seen so many stunning females in one place. 
I've heard this song approximately 10,000 times. What are you talking about?

Are you talking about the 3:05 mark where he says "sit yourself on down"?

I never saw VH with Roth, but saw them three times in the 90’s. Always a blast and always beautiful girls everywhere. Fun song. 

Are you talking about the 3:05 mark where he says "sit yourself on down"?
:lol:

Also, Tim might have to redefine his requirement that a song needs to have "originated in 1979" -- this song was actually written and recorded in 1977 under the title "Bring On The Girls", and the released version was recorded in December 1978. 

OK I see I did notice that before. But per wiki the version released in 1979 has new lyrics. That makes it a different song from “Bring on the Girls”. So it’s OK. Whew. 

94. Gary Numan “Cars” (from The Pleasure Principle)

https://youtu.be/99fRdfVIOr4

This song annoys me. But I like it too. I like it AND I find it annoying. It was actually a pretty big deal at the time. 
I feel a little bad that even though I was strongly tempted both times, “Cars” didn’t make either my One Hit Wonder list my best 100 New Wave songs list. It probably has a good case for both but I nixed it both times because of the annoyance factor. Couldn’t keep it out of the 1979 list though. 

That's why the counterpoint countdowns like Bracie's are good for songs that didn't make Tim's list. Different strokes for different folks. 
Same issue actually.

Bracie made the same mistake, just made it a rigid 16 months instead of 12, while ignoring which year it got the most air play.

This is a pedantic point so NBD. Nobody cares.

If we are trying to associate songs with a specific year then it should correlate to when it was popular.

If it were a couple here and there, understandable, but it’s 1 in 6 out of 200 (at least 33 total.) It’s not hard to determine when a songs peak chart ranking happened either. If you’re investing this much time in a list it should be reflective of what you are claiming, e.g., this song was a big deal in 1971 (1979) - not “+ or - a couple years.

Personally I associate these songs with a specific school year or a girl or memorable trip or the song we listened to all summer. Release date ignores the narrative of when people were hearing the song. Some songs take a long while to build a following (“Baba O’ Riley” by The Who or “Life on Mars” by David Bowie for example.)

Songs from Bracie’s (no quotes & a dash) or “Timmay’s” (song in quotes) lists that are called “100 Greatest from 1971” when that wasn’t their peak popularity:

actually more popular in 1970

In the Summertime - Jerry Mungo   
Lola - The Kinks   
No Matter What - Badfinger   
Apeman - The Kinks

actually most popular in 1971

most of ‘em on the two lists (167/200) 

actually more popular in 1972

“The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys” Traffic   
Slippin' Into Darkness - War
“Tiny Dancer” Elton John    
Betcha By Golly, Wow - The Stylistics
“Outa Space” Billy Preston   
She's Got A Way - Billy Joel
“Vincent” Don McLean
Sunshine - Jonathan Edwards     
“Day After Day” Badfinger
Hot Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
“Willin’” Little Feat (‘72 arrangement)  
“Jeepster” T-Rex
“Never Been to Spain” Three Dog Night 
Fearless - Pink Floyd
“Roundabout” Yes   
Layla · Derek & The Dominos   
“Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress”
Brand New Key - Melanie
“A Horse With No Name“ America
Iron Man · Black Sabbath   
“American Pie” Don McLean    
Only Love Can Break Your Heart · Neil Young
“Let’s Stay Together” Al Green  
Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen ~ Santana   
“Long Distance Runaround” Yes   
“Rock and Roll” Led Zeppelin
Four Sticks · Led Zeppelin 
“Baba O’ Riley” The Who

actually more popular in 1973

“Life On Mars?” David Bowie

I checked 125 of the 200 songs & found more than 1 in 4 were more popular in the years around 1971 than in 1971. Some were 1970 releases, some were 1972. It’s all good.

i didn’t check these 75 or so but it’s immaterial. Let’s just enjoy the discussion & not let something minor get in the way.

Hocus Pocus - Focus

“California” Joni Mitchell

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - Led Zeppelin

“Oh My Love” John Lennon  

River - Joni Mitchell

“Sweet Lady Mary” Faces

Bell Bottom Blues - Derek And The Dominos

“I’d Love to Change the World” Ten Years After

Vahevala - Loggins and Messina

“Sunshine on My Shoulders” John Denver

Tangerine · Led Zeppelin

“Mother Goose” Jethro Tull