What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Internet - Router/Modem Assistance (1 Viewer)

cubd8

Footballguy
I currently use XFinity as my Internet provider and have a NetGear c3700 model.

My internet in my condo is very spotty at times and I am beyond annoyed. It works fine when I connect directly, but should be able to connect wireless.

Questions:

What can I buy to replace my current modem that is compatible with XFinity? The version I currently have is a modem/router. Should I continue that approach or buy a modem and router separate? If separate, do both need to be compatible with XFinity?

Any specific chords I should be purchasing?

thank you! It's been a very long time since I've done any of this and don't trust myself to mess this up!

There are a couple good router/wifi threads.

In general I would NOT recommend a modem/router combo. Get a good Xfinity-compatible modem and a mesh wifi system or good router (depending on how much area you need to cover)

eta - or what @PlayaHatasaid

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple good router/wifi threads.

In general I would NOT recommend a modem/router combo. Get a good Xfinity-compatible modem and a mesh wifi system or good router (depending on how much area you need to cover)

eta - or what @PlayaHatasaid
@heckmanm makes a good point.  If your c3700 is old, it may make sense to just replace that too with a new dedicated cable modem along with whatever mesh you end up purchasing.  A new cable modem with all the bells and whistles is only $60 or so anyway.  Just make sure the modem you buy is on Xfinity's compatibility list. 

I’m actually in the process of doing this exact thing. Moved into our home at the end of last year, had a baby, and everything else going on, the xFinity modem wasn’t high on my list but now it is. 

I’m going to purchase a compatible modem and then go with Nest WiFi or Eero.

I currently use XFinity as my Internet provider and have a NetGear c3700 model.

My internet in my condo is very spotty at times and I am beyond annoyed. It works fine when I connect directly, but should be able to connect wireless.

Questions:

What can I buy to replace my current modem that is compatible with XFinity? The version I currently have is a modem/router. Should I continue that approach or buy a modem and router separate? If separate, do both need to be compatible with XFinity?

Any specific chords I should be purchasing?

thank you! It's been a very long time since I've done any of this and don't trust myself to mess this up!
Is the Netgear c3700 supplied by Xfinity/cable provider?  

where is it located in your home?  Is your home two stories?  

We currently have a pedestrian 100mbps and are looking to upgrade to the gigabyte package so we need a new router tons up or the new speed. I don’t want to rent or buy the Verizon one so we’re looking...

So help me wrap my head around this...

It goes:

Signal—>Modem—>router—>Mesh—> to devices? 

Don’t buy a modem router combo? 

Im so confused. I assumed I just buy a router/modem/mesh thing for $100-$400 and I’m good. Too many options kills me. 

Is this alI would need? Are there better options? 

Im allegedly getting 1gigmbps but that thing said it’s “good for speeds up to 350 mbps). Sounds like I won’t be able to take advantage of my Uber 7eet InTeRwEbZ. 

Lost in a Forrest...

We currently have a pedestrian 100mbps and are looking to upgrade to the gigabyte package so we need a new router tons up or the new speed. I don’t want to rent or buy the Verizon one so we’re looking...

So help me wrap my head around this...

It goes:

Signal—>Modem—>router—>Mesh—> to devices? 

Don’t buy a modem router combo? 

Im so confused. I assumed I just buy a router/modem/mesh thing for $100-$400 and I’m good. Too many options kills me. 
Don't buy a modem/router combo.

If you get mesh, you don't need a router.

You just need modem and mesh. Your "cable" input connects to the modem and then the modem connects to the mesh.

I have heard the eero is a good choice from a couple of people now. Although, depending on the number of people in your home, you may want to get a tri-band instead of dual-band. A a tri-band router actually sends a 2.4 GHz signal and two separate 5 GHz signals (the dual sends only one). Internet speed is essentially shared among your devices, so the additional band makes for more speed for more devices.

Don't buy a modem/router combo.

If you get mesh, you don't need a router.

You just need modem and mesh. Your "cable" input connects to the modem and then the modem connects to the mesh.

I have heard the eero is a good choice from a couple of people now. Although, depending on the number of people in your home, you may want to get a tri-band instead of dual-band. A a tri-band router actually sends a 2.4 GHz signal and two separate 5 GHz signals (the dual sends only one).
Thank you for breaking down the band thing. I’ll spring for the tri band 

4 people, two kids zooming and tik-tokin, two adults gaming and streaming movies.

So is the whole gigabyte speed thing is a gimmick cause it looks like I’d have to mortgage my house to get equipment that can handle those speeds ?

So, the first thing I would do is ask the following questions - what exactly do I have and what am I paying for precisely?  And what I mean is, what upload and download speed do you have and then am I "renting" a combo modem/wifi-router from the cable company?  I would recommend ditching the rented combo thing from the cable company, it's overpriced and personally I don't like combo routers. 

So, based upon the upload/download speed you are paying for, then you want to buy an appropriate speed, dedicated, cable modem.  So let's say you're paying for 100Mbps up and 25Mbps down speed, then you want find a dedicated cable modem that your provider supports that nearest fits those speeds because, to me, I think it's a waste of money to buy the 1000Mbps speed cable modem if your highest speed is 100Mbps.  Anyway, most will support Motorola modems, they're pretty much industry standard, I like the MB7xxx line of modems but I'm currently running an SB6190 because my SB6183 got hit by lightning, failed and I needed something in a pinch and it was the only thing on the shelf, it's okay but I liked my SB6183 better.

And then as others have mentioned,  I would look into a mesh WiFi.  I bought my refurbed Netgear Orbi system from Amazon about 9 months ago and it's been pretty awesome, no more dead spots and we have a ton of crap connected to it (phones, tablets, iPad's, televisions, laptops for work and school, etc.) and it's been pretty rock solid (knock on wood.)

When you buy your modem and you're ready to hook it up, you call your cable provider support number and you say the following "I bought a new modem, I need someone to help me provision my new modem" and they will ask you for the MAC address, they will set up the modem on their end and after a few minutes you'll be set up and good to go.  I lost my last modem on a Friday night, around 7:00 PM, I drove over to the nearest store, snagged a Motorola SB6190 off the shelf (last cable modem they had) and I got the new modem set up and running within 20 or 30 minutes, 

Go buy a Arris Surfboard SB6183

Then buy whatever Orbi system fits your budget / home
Any reason not to just spring for the sb8200 for slightly more?

I noticed these say dual band.... if the modem is only dual band does that mean the mesh systems with the TD-band won’t be as effective? 

Why not go for the something like this? (and Why are duel modem/routers crappy?)

”ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem & AC2350 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router, Approved for Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others (black)

So is the whole gigabyte speed thing is a gimmick cause it looks like I’d have to mortgage my house to get equipment that can handle those speeds ?
It isn't as long as you have a bunch of wired equipment, if you only have wifi then you'll not use the full 1Gbps for a long while. The latest wifi spec 802.11ax only hits to about 800Mbps and not a ton of devices out with it yet, I'm not even sure it's a fully ratified spec yet.

So you could do a 3-500Mbps package and be fine, we have 350Mbps with the same amount of people you do and about 60 devices and it's fine.

Definitely upgrade you're modem and to the tri-band mesh (I have the original Orbi and it's great).

Any reason not to just spring for the sb8200 for slightly more?

I noticed these say dual band.... if the modem is only dual band does that mean the mesh systems with the TD-band won’t be as effective? 

Why not go for the something like this? (and Why are duel modem/routers crappy?)

”ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem & AC2350 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router, Approved for Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others (black)
So if you're Verizon, my guess is you're not going to need a cable modem since it's not usually cable and will have to use what Verizon supplies. What is your service? Since you're talking about 1Gbps I'm assuming you are going to be using their fiber or FIOS, which requires a Verizon supplied modem.

So if you're Verizon, my guess is you're not going to need a cable modem since it's not usually cable and will have to use what Verizon supplies. What is your service? Since you're talking about 1Gbps I'm assuming you are going to be using their fiber or FIOS, which requires a Verizon supplied modem.
I’ve had Verizon for as long as I can remember and have been using my own modem for at least the last 10+ years. 

I’ve had Verizon for as long as I can remember and have been using my own modem for at least the last 10+ years. 
So the only thing I can find for Verizon is Fios TV or DSL type internet. What kind of modem do you have now and what will the 1Gbps be on?

So is it a cable modem or a DSL modem or Fios modem?

ETA And what are you upgrading to?
FiOS. I don’t know. That’s why I’m here hoping one of you guys end my pain and just tell me what to buy LOL

with my little knowledge I’m deciding between the

$298 orbi rbk50 tri band (only 4 left!!!)

$399 or the Eero pro mesh WiFi tri band something or other (sold out)

FiOS. I don’t know. That’s why I’m here hoping one of you guys end my pain and just tell me what to buy LOL

with my little knowledge I’m deciding between the

$298 orbi rbk50 tri band

$399 or the Eero prom Esh WiFi tri band something or other 
Well we can't tell you what to buy since we don't know your service. Cable, DSL and FIOS all use different modems. Cable and DSL you can use your own, FIOS, from what I've read, requires you to use one supplied by Verizon.

As far as Router/Mesh recommendations I've been using an Orbi since they first came out and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. Lots or Orbi/Eero/Google folks in the thread, so look at the size of the house and location of the Modem. Based on that you may need one or two of the satellites.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22 @Hawks64is dead on.  Fios is a fiberoptic network so doesn't use a modem.  They call it something else and it has to be supplied by Verizon. So just buy your mesh system and be done with it. Verizon will need to make sure their Fios device can support the speed they sell you.

All the mesh systems are great, but at the speeds you're buying I think only Orbi or eero pro can support them. Both are tri-band.

Start off with a couple of them and see how it works. Adding more is easy.

OK, for anybody else in a similar situation it basically breaks down like this at this time:

-Eero pro

best mobile app, easiest setup, most stable connection. Fast but not faster than Orbi 

-Orbi RBK50 

Fastest speeds, slightly wonky app, better website control but sometimes hiccups when switching between routers.

Google whatever it’s called – not quite ready for prime time.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22 @Hawks64is dead on.  Fios is a fiberoptic network so doesn't use a modem.  They call it something else and it has to be supplied by Verizon. So just buy your mesh system and be done with it. Verizon will need to make sure their Fios device can support the speed they sell you.

All the mesh systems are great, but at the speeds you're buying I think only Orbi or eero pro can support them. Both are tri-band.

Start off with a couple of them and see how it works. Adding more is easy.
Ok. So my only “disagreement“ or more than likely misunderstanding is...

the fiber optic cable comes from the telephone pole to a exterior box, that box is powered from the other side and the cable enters my house annnnnd connects to???

cable—-> crappy modem I’ve had for 10 years. That’s it.

So I was under the impression I need to buy a bed high speed modem to replace the old one. And one of these mesh systems to essentially boost my signal. 

Sorry I’m such a dunce - this stuff is often complicated for me and then it clicks and I fully understand. It’s just getting used to the terminology and rules and then I’m good. 

the fiber optic cable comes from the telephone pole to a exterior box, that box is powered from the other side and the cable enters my house annnnnd connects to???

So I was under the impression I need to buy a bed high speed modem to replace the old one. And one of these mesh systems to essentially boost my signal. 

Sorry I’m such a dunce - this stuff is often complicated for me and then it clicks and I fully understand. It’s just getting used to the terminology and rules and then I’m good. 
Well with Verizon you have two options. DSL, which you can have your own modem and then you connect a phone line to it and then connect it to your router.

Fiber (FiOS) which uses a special optical modem. FiOS will typically require a new connection to your house (Fiber Optic) which has a box outside or possibly inside. That connects to a modem with an Optical connection, which then connects to your router via ethernet cable.

Your Fios "modem" or ONT as they call it is probably inside the external box.  Fiber goes in there and connects to the ONT and then comes into your home as CAT6 cable and maybe also coaxial for your TV's.

Leave all that alone and inside the house connect your first mesh point to the CAT6.  It sounds like what you are calling your crappy modem may actually be your current router.

Your Fios "modem" or ONT as they call it is probably inside the external box.  Fiber goes in there and connects to the ONT and then comes into your home as CAT6 cable and maybe also coaxial for your TV's.

Leave all that alone and inside the house connect your first mesh point to the CAT6.  It sounds like what you are calling your crappy modem may actually be your current router.
I think you’re correct. You sir, have put the pieces together for me. I think I have a good understanding of what I need.

Thanks. 

Thank you everyone. We went with 3 Eeros Pros. For $500. Only downside is that the only place I could find it was Best Buy which I despise. 

Ah well, the internet we have is pushing out 101 down and 120 up so it’s noticeably fast and no hiccups. 

Verizon to install the gigaspeed ONT Monday.  :drive:

I recently purchased the TP-Link Deco Mesh system on Amazon and so far it has been awesome. My upload and download speeds are double what they used to be and so far the coverage has been excellent.

Andy Dufresne said:
Even though the upcoming Eero wifi 6 is "only" dual band, won't the Wifi 6 signal make a difference?

I just don't know if I want to pony up for a Tri-band system.
I would highly recommend TriBand if you have a lot of devices. At times I’ve got 5 iPhones, 5 laptops, 3 gaming systems and I don’t know how many fire sticks and smart plugs. I had the MeshForce router and it was much better than the single router with or without extenders so it was clear that a mesh router was better than extenders, but I’ve got the TP Link Deco M9 (plus, not sure there is non plus). It’s amazing and the main difference was the third band. That third band is just for the mesh points.

If you are a Costco member the M9 is on sale again for $199 (3 mesh points, all the same, any can be router) because they have the newer one as well. The X60 is WiFi 6 but is only dual band so honestly not sure if that 5GHz band is better than the 2 slower M9 5GHz. I don’t have fiber so I’d never get to the X60 top speeds so the M9 may be better for me.

I also added an extra node because my Traeger has pretty bad WiFi and I could put the node in the room right by it, so I’ve got 4 nodes and there’s never an issue unless the Internet is down and with kids at home 3 days, it’s always in use.

Anyone have the AmpliFi HD WiFi System by Ubiquiti Labs?  Was recently recommended by a guy I know who works in IT.  Curious how it compares to the other mesh systems recommended here.
I’ll be honest that I don’t like that it never mentions whether it’s TriBand or not. The web site just talks about the beauty and anyone who’s never had a mesh router will like it. The difference between the DualBand and TriBand for me was night and day as much as the mesh vs regular router was night and day. I also don’t like the nodes that plug into the wall. My MeshForce was like that and while their ads put them in cool places like rooms, you’ll probably end up putting one or both in a hallway to cover multiple rooms, especially if it’s not TriBand. The plug ins always got knocked or slowly fell out. I like the ones I have now that plug into a wall and just sit on a table. Also, getting the 4th node (all 4 are the same, all can be the router) made it easy to avoid the hallway even with the table right there.

I’d highly recommend the Deco M9 at Costco. $199 is a great price and unless you’ve got gigabit Internet, it’ll be as fast as you can get.

I would highly recommend TriBand if you have a lot of devices. At times I’ve got 5 iPhones, 5 laptops, 3 gaming systems and I don’t know how many fire sticks and smart plugs. I had the MeshForce router and it was much better than the single router with or without extenders so it was clear that a mesh router was better than extenders, but I’ve got the TP Link Deco M9 (plus, not sure there is non plus). It’s amazing and the main difference was the third band. That third band is just for the mesh points.

If you are a Costco member the M9 is on sale again for $199 (3 mesh points, all the same, any can be router) because they have the newer one as well. The X60 is WiFi 6 but is only dual band so honestly not sure if that 5GHz band is better than the 2 slower M9 5GHz. I don’t have fiber so I’d never get to the X60 top speeds so the M9 may be better for me.

I also added an extra node because my Traeger has pretty bad WiFi and I could put the node in the room right by it, so I’ve got 4 nodes and there’s never an issue unless the Internet is down and with kids at home 3 days, it’s always in use.
All right. I ordered some up. I can at least give them a try.

Boy is it refreshing to find something billed as "simple to set up" to actually be so.

Set up the Deco M9 Plus today. Says I'm getting 116 down/7.5 up. Seems good to me.

Haven't tested out every nook and cranny in my house but everything I've connected so far works like a charm.

How does it know which band it's connected to when there's only one network ID set up?

Boy is it refreshing to find something billed as "simple to set up" to actually be so.

Set up the Deco M9 Plus today. Says I'm getting 116 down/7.5 up. Seems good to me.

Haven't tested out every nook and cranny in my house but everything I've connected so far works like a charm.

How does it know which band it's connected to when there's only one network ID set up?
Depends on the device. I think most use 5GHz, but some smart devices might use the other.

It was really simple to setup and if you use the same network name and password you don’t have to touch anything just shut off the old one. I actually gave my son the MeshForce one for his apartment/house with 4 roommates because their AT&T router sucked.

Enjoy. I don’t have the Mack daddy internet fiber yet (at 226/11 right now) so it works great for us with a ton of devices and for $199, very reasonable. 

@stbugs these TP-Link Deco M9's are pretty great. I seem to have fast coverage over every inch of my house and not having to switch to extended networks sure is nice.

Plus I got $50 for my Nighthawk router that some dude was very excited to get off Craigslist. Win-win.

I don't know what "better" units get you compared to these but I have zero need to find out.

@stbugs these TP-Link Deco M9's are pretty great. I seem to have fast coverage over every inch of my house and not having to switch to extended networks sure is nice.

Plus I got $50 for my Nighthawk router that some dude was very excited to get off Craigslist. Win-win.

I don't know what "better" units get you compared to these but I have zero need to find out.
Awesome, I’ve had no complaints with it at all. I get 10% more throughput than my plan up and down and never have any issues connecting except when there’s an issue with Spectrum. The only thing I ever fix is restarting the cable modem.

I probably could sell my old router and extenders. I gave my dual band mesh router to my son, so I’ll let him keep that.

For Craigslist do you mail it to someone or have they added payments like EBay? I’ve been meaning to get my boys legos sorted and sell those, but I was thinking EBay.

For Craigslist do you mail it to someone or have they added payments like EBay? I’ve been meaning to get my boys legos sorted and sell those, but I was thinking EBay.
Usually when people contact us for the item through email on CL we then have them send us a text. Lets you know it's a real person. Then we just have them stop by the house.

eBay is, of course, a different story. Then you have to mess with boxing things up and sending them. 

The other way we've gotten rid of things is Facebook Marketplace. That's pretty effective.

Users who are viewing this thread