What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (1 Viewer)

Best Lynyrd Skynyrd song?

• What's Your Name?

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Free Bird

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Gimme Three Steps

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Ballad of Curtis Loew

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Simple Man

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Saturday Night Special

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Tuesday's Gone

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Call Me The Breeze

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Sweet Home Alabama

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters
1. Yes

2. D/K (lots of tragic incidents in modern rock history, maybe this is at the top but i'd listen to other arguments)

3. guessed 4 and pretty sure that's wrong

4. voted "Simple Man" but it's probably "Trust"

#3 is a trick question

Gary Rossington is the last surviving member of the 1973-77 lineup, but pre-fame members Rickey Medlocke and Greg Walker are also still alive

I had no idea on the band members left.  

ballad of Curtis is such a great song, not my favorite buy them but it’s up there

Went with Free Bird on the song.  I don't really see how you can't, but there are some other great ones.  Ballad of Curtis Loew is one of my favorites.  A couple of my favorites that didn't make your list of options are Gimmie Back My Bullets and Don't Ask Me No Questions

Last edited by a moderator:
2. D/K (lots of tragic incidents in modern rock history, maybe this is at the top but i'd listen to other arguments)
Definitely. FWIW, I never know whats considered "modern history"? Obviously the Day the Music Died was pretty significant. As was Jim Croce. Then you can get into things like Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Kurt Cobain. If you are looking for tragedy, music doesnt take a back seat to anyone. 

Definitely. FWIW, I never know whats considered "modern history"? Obviously the Day the Music Died was pretty significant. As was Jim Croce. Then you can get into things like Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Kurt Cobain. If you are looking for tragedy, music doesnt take a back seat to anyone. 
John Lennon’s death in that list too.

#3 is a trick question

Gary Rossington is the last surviving member of the 1973-77 lineup, but pre-fame members Rickey Medlocke and Greg Walker are also still alive
true story, Greg T actually worked with my dad's little five-man construction crew here in North Florida for a year or two in the late 90s building houses. Dad mentioned it to me a couple times, but like an idiot I never tried to meet him because I was off being young and stupid at college and didn't have any interest in southern rock at the time.

to the thread question, I'm kind of meh on Skynyrd - Ronnie was a good songwriter and the band was super tight, but I think I heard their stuff on the radio and people's stereos so much growing up that I just don't enjoy it much anymore. "Tuesday's Gone", "Workin For MCA" and "That Smell" are great songs, but "Freebird" is just guitar wanking that's about four minutes too long imo. I also think the current iteration of the band is a bloated travesty and RVZ is probably rolling over in his grave watching what they're doing now.

edit: and for me Tom Petty dying is the greatest tragedy in rock and roll (and will only be supplanted when Keith Richards finally kicks the bucket).

true story, Greg T actually worked with my dad's little five-man construction crew here in North Florida for a year or two in the late 90s building houses. Dad mentioned it to me a couple times, but like an idiot I never tried to meet him because I was off being young and stupid at college and didn't have any interest in southern rock at the time.

to the thread question, I'm kind of meh on Skynyrd - Ronnie was a good songwriter and the band was super tight, but I think I heard their stuff on the radio and people's stereos so much growing up that I just don't enjoy it much anymore. "Tuesday's Gone", "Workin For MCA" and "That Smell" are great songs, but "Freebird" is just guitar wanking that's about four minutes too long imo. I also think the current iteration of the band is a bloated travesty and RVZ is probably rolling over in his grave watching what they're doing now.

edit: and for me Tom Petty dying is the greatest tragedy in rock and roll (and will only be supplanted when Keith Richards finally kicks the bucket).
I now have a guitar wanking earworm, likely for the rest of the morning, thanks to you

Only to the extent that playing the guitar at all is wanking. That is a very well-constructed instrumental section, with great tension/release.

It’s not as iconic as Free Bird or Sweet Home Alabama, but I’ll take Tuesday’s Gone as their best song. 
Yep.

Gold - Tuesdays Gone

Silver - simple man

Bronze - call me the breeze

SHA is overplayed to the point I won't listen to it. 

In general, I like the guitar and various instrumental jamming, preferring their lesser played songs more recently.

Yep.

Gold - Tuesdays Gone

Silver - simple man

In general, I like the guitar and various instrumental jamming, preferring their lesser played songs more recently.
Good call on Call Me the Breeze. Love the piano solo in that one. Such a fun little tune. 

Between this and the Ja Rule thread, we're getting right to the heart of it today and last night, aren't we? 

Voted with no clue: Yes, No, 2, Simple Man because of the Deftones cover.  

The debut album Pronounced... is about as good as any debut in history. Not as big of a fan of their material after the also-great second album, but can't deny the greatness and influence of these guys.

Only to the extent that playing the guitar at all is wanking. That is a very well-constructed instrumental section, with great tension/release.
hey it's all good man, different strokes for different folks - Collins was obviously super talented and it's an iconic song, I just think it's way too long. I pulled the vinyl of "Pronounced" out the other day and played it and after about six minutes into that one I kind of start losing focus. 

of course I realize this probably makes me some sort of unredeemable musical apostate for most people - don't beat me up too bad   :lol:

Yep.

Gold - Tuesdays Gone

Silver - simple man

My band plays a bunch of Skynyrd covers (e.g., Call Me the Breeze, Gimme Back My Bullets, Gimme Three Steps, What’s Your Name), but not Sweet Home Alabama or Free Bird. 

My band plays a bunch of Skynyrd covers (e.g., Call Me the Breeze, Gimme Back My Bullets, Gimme Three Steps, What’s Your Name), but not Sweet Home Alabama or Free Bird. 
You do They Call Me the Breeze more like LS than JJ? Based on those selections, I'm guessing your band has a pretty killer rhythm section.

I voted Freebird, but Tuesday's Gone is definitely a 1a.

You do They Call Me the Breeze more like LS than JJ? Based on those selections, I'm guessing your band has a pretty killer rhythm section.
LS. We used to have a piano player that slayed that solo, but he moved on so we arranged the solo for guitar. And our drummer is indeed killer. Played with Phil Anselmo for years, was Hank Williams III’s touring drummer, and cut an album with Billy Gibbons. 

P.S.  I voted Free Bird as well. No interest in playing it, but I love listening to it. 

I assumed you were more of Queen cover band.

LOL. 

Apologies for making this a look at me thread, but if anyone is interested, here’s Call Me the Breeze from our last show before the ‘Rona. This is from a Go Pro at the sound board so audio and video is not great. And no piano player in this lineup.

https://youtu.be/FbM7x2ySDRQ
GB stage right on goldtop (?)?

Those tv screens lol. I just hope they have some going the other way for your guys to watch.

Love Skynard.

As for tragedy, depends on how you define "modern" -- would argue that the plane crash that took Buddy Holly, Richie Valenz and the Big Bopper was a much more meaningful and tragic occurrence in terms of impact. The plane crash that took the entire Bar Kays except Ben Cauley was also meaningful in terms of how tenured these musicians were as Stax recording musicians, and them just gaining notoriety for both their own single (Soul Finger) and working with Otis Redding. Badfinger had their lead singer and guitarist/bassist commit suicide over bad deals instead of continuing what looked to be a really strong trajectory as a band and for both these guys as singer/songwriters. Dimebag Darrell getting gunend down at a concert, Cliff Burton's death in a bus accident, and Randy Rhodes demise in a planecrash were also big tragedies -- not sure how you measure one against the other. 

Does it have to be a crash or an accident? What about people like Mama Cass whose career was cut short by heart attack?

It also depends on how you define "tragedy" -- think of the output Hendrix, or Joplin could have put out if they didn't succumb to overdosing, or The Who or Zeppelin could have had if Moon/Bonham didn't drink themselves to death. 

Believe that only Gary Rossington and Larry Junstrom are is the last original members still living.

As far as best song? Hard to pick. Free Bird and Sweet Home are going to be tops because they are incredible songs and the band's most popular. Hard to choose against those, but went with Gimme Three Steps as a less obvious choice -- it perfectly shows the band's musicianship and technical skill in a signature "roadhouse by the side of the road" style, with clever and funny lyrics penned directly from Ronnie Van Zant's real life experience. May not be as anthematic as others, but it encapsulates what the band was about and shows their incredible skill and the fun they had making music together.

ETA: was curious so looked it up. Sadly Larry Junstrom died in Oct 2019. 

Apple Jack said:
GB stage right on goldtop (?)?

Those tv screens lol. I just hope they have some going the other way for your guys to watch.
Yeah, our guitar players have crazy gear. As for the TVs, they’re usually off.  But it was the NFL playoffs, so we had to make an exception lest we lose some of the crowd to the outdoor patio.

bigbottom said:
LOL. 

Apologies for making this a look at me thread, but if anyone is interested, here’s Call Me the Breeze from our last show before the ‘Rona. This is from a Go Pro at the sound board so audio and video is not great. And no piano player in this lineup.

That rocks! Thanks for sharing, impressive performance and a tight sound -- how long have you all played together?

I saw a documentary on them that was pretty awesome...can't recall where but highly recommended if you like that stuff.

bigbottom said:
LOL. 

Very well done. Is that you singing?

bigbottom said:
LOL. 

Well done! Call Me the Breeze might be my favorite song ever. Even the original is a banger. If you can't at least tap your toes, check your pulse.

Nipsey said:
7/13/77  A little over 3 months before the plane cash

iconic album cover
 Three days after the last time I saw them at Super Bowl of Rock, Soldier Field. Thanks will definately make time to watch this especially since I have a portable pa hooked up to laptop haha.  I was catering  for crew and bands so cut for Skynard and watched between stage and crowd barrier. Pretty awesome considering history. I had seen them several times previously at smaller venues but 70  K really rocked to Freebird . Great band.

SRV was bigger tragedy to me personally as he was ascending spititually and as a human and it was going to be so interesting where his music would have went. 

Three days after the last time I saw them at Super Bowl of Rock, Soldier Field. Thanks will definately make time to watch this especially since I have a portable pa hooked up to laptop haha.  I was catering  for crew and bands so cut for Skynard and watched between stage and crowd barrier. Pretty awesome considering history. I had seen them several times previously at smaller venues but 70  K really rocked to Freebird . Great band.

SRV was bigger tragedy to me personally as he was ascending spititually and as a human and it was going to be so interesting where his music would have went. 
Never saw Skynyrd, but saw SRV shortly before he died. It was such an amazing show, and it was so great to see him clean again after dancing with death for so many years. I cried when I heard the news. 

Users who are viewing this thread