What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone here use a headphone amp for music? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Bateman

Footballguy
I just bought a little Schiit desktop headphone amp. My PC audio just wasn't cutting it. I'm just cutious if anyone here uses one. I'm also looking to purchase some new headphones. My old Sennheiser HD-201's are toast. Any input is appreciated.

I just bought a little Schiit desktop headphone amp. My PC audio just wasn't cutting it. I'm just cutious if anyone here uses one. I'm also looking to purchase some new headphones. My old Sennheiser HD-201's are toast. Any input is appreciated.
An amp/DAC will improve sound quality but especially for headphones that have high impedance.  A lot of modern headphones are built with low impedance (<40 ohm) so they can be driven by phones and computers.

It's true that you'll get better sound with an amp/DAC but it's debatable whether you're better off spending the money you would have spent on an amp and plowing that into buying a better pair of low impedance cans.

An amp/DAC will improve sound quality but especially for headphones that have high impedance.  A lot of modern headphones are built with low impedance (<40 ohm) so they can be driven by phones and computers.

It's true that you'll get better sound with an amp/DAC but it's debatable whether you're better off spending the money you would have spent on an amp and plowing that into buying a better pair of low impedance cans.
So I should look at higher end cans? I can have the volume on my desktop maxed out with my headphones now, and it's still not loud enough. They're 32 ohm headphones. It might be my crappy onboard sound. That's why I bought the amp/dac (Schiit Magni3+/Modi stack). 

So I should look at higher end cans? I can have the volume on my desktop maxed out with my headphones now, and it's still not loud enough. They're 32 ohm headphones. It might be my crappy onboard sound. That's why I bought the amp/dac (Schiit Magni3+/Modi stack). 
If you're maxed out on your computer, an amp wouldn't be a bad idea.  An amp doesn't just mean extra volume, it will improve clarity as well.

I thought you said you were going to buy new headphones.  If you are, pay attention to impedance specs.  This is an article that explains things better than I can.  I've stuck to low impedance models that I can drive with my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread