What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Anarchy League Town Hall Debate (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
I'm guessing three people will read this, but . . .

Just trying to size up what people think about this upcoming season and if it's worth going through all the hoops and gyrations to get the leagues set up.
What do people think will happen to the NFL season? Any missed time? Lots of missed time? Will they finish the season? Fantasy nightmare on the horizon?
Are you peeps still eager to participate this year? If people are still all systems go, then I will get started.
If a bunch of people are going to half-heartedly say they will draft but don't really mean it, then that would become a problem.
What say you, future magistrates and noblemen?

F Yeah.  This type of league should be easy as it's total points.  Doesn't matter if they only play five games.
While what you posted is true, it would take us (READ AS: ME) more than 5 weeks to set up everything and get all the drafts completed. The thought of a five game season doesn't really blow my dress up. The NFL could have some teams and players play more games than others (which probably isn't fair for fantasy purposes but it is what it is for the Anarchy Leagues).

I will be interested to see what happens if an NFL team gets a ton of players all testing positive at once . . . do they have to forfeit for 2 weeks? How about if Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce all catch it . . . oh well for the Chiefs? I know the league tried to schedule teams in Week 2 with similar bye weeks, but other than that one week, there is no way to reschedule games later in the season.

Other thoughts from the rest of you are welcomed and encouraged . . .

I'm guessing three people will read this, but . . .

Just trying to size up what people think about this upcoming season and if it's worth going through all the hoops and gyrations to get the leagues set up.
What do people think will happen to the NFL season? Any missed time? Lots of missed time? Will they finish the season? Fantasy nightmare on the horizon?
Are you peeps still eager to participate this year? If people are still all systems go, then I will get started.
If a bunch of people are going to half-heartedly say they will draft but don't really mean it, then that would become a problem.
What say you, future magistrates and noblemen?
I still think that there will be a season, but I am less optimistic than I was. I now suspect that not all teams will begin practice by the end of July and that the season will not begin on the current scheduled date.

i do think that you could fill a league or possibly two with folks that would all pay attention and draft as well or better than in the past, but if it were me, I would do only a league or two and stack the leagues with those who have the better drafting history and do the leagues by invitation.

my two cents, thanks for doing them in the past and it’s really up to you. 

I'm game to play one or more.  I don't start paying much attention to NFL until this time of year, and use these to catch up on the offseason stuff.  But I understand the hesistancy of putting in the work, as I am going through the same thing with local roto baseball leagues right now.  Can you designate someone in each league as co-Commish, and at least have him do the contacting of last year's owners, and determine vacancies in in each league?  I'll co-Commish one of them.

I know its a hassle to set these up David. Thanks a ton for your efforts over the years, much appreciated.

I firmly believe there will be a season this year. Anyones guess as to how it will play out once TC starts. I'm all IN should you get a couple started. I've done 5 & 6 plus the Super Team the last couple years. Happy to jump into any that you have trouble filling if you decide to go light this year. Still hope for the Super Team, as that's not predicated on a set number of drafters.

Rody

I'm in. 

I think the season will be played, but I agree that I am less optimistic than I was before. 

I'm in, as usual....but I REALLY don't think we will be having a season this year.  I guess I'm the eternal pessimist in all  this....but I live in Florida in a really bad hotspot for the virus....and just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for this year, at least not right now.  I'm sure that colors my lens on this issue and DAMN do I hope I'm wrong. :Kicksrock:

ETA:  My thought processes on this are DEEPLY colored by some recent losses; both virus & non-virus related. But I believe the we're seeing just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how bad this thing is about to become.  Consecutive days of 8,900+ and 9500+ in your state will do that, I guess.  :(

Last edited by a moderator:
IN

This seems like a pretty good format for a plague year.

Everyone is already used to getting screwed over by injuries and getting extra bonus games from teams that make the playoffs, so if the season goes weird that's just more anarchy.

And the winners win nothing, so if there's controversy about whether there was enough football for it to count as a season that doesn't matter.

Of course it's up in the air whether there will be any football, and if there isn't then it'll all amount to nothing. But if you're willing to put in the work to make the leagues happen then I'm in for drafting.

IN

This seems like a pretty good format for a plague year.

Everyone is already used to getting screwed over by injuries and getting extra bonus games from teams that make the playoffs, so if the season goes weird that's just more anarchy.

And the winners win nothing, so if there's controversy about whether there was enough football for it to count as a season that doesn't matter.

Of course it's up in the air whether there will be any football, and if there isn't then it'll all amount to nothing. But if you're willing to put in the work to make the leagues happen then I'm in for drafting.
Really? You can't put a price on the value of adding the tag line ANARCHY LEAGUE CHAMPION to your social media header. You just can't. It's priceless.

I am skeptical about the season, but absolutely interested in participating in Anarchy again this year.

To me, the fun of Anarchy is more the draft process than following the season long results, anyway. (Though it was nice to win A2 last season. :)  )

i hope you decide to do it, even if perhaps with fewer leagues this year if there is less demand. 

At a minimum, we should wait until the final player opt out window is closed before doing anything. If it looks like camps are opening and the world isn't ending, I will fire up at least the two main leagues.

I am still skeptical things will work out like other seasons, especially when coaches like Sean Payton are already suggesting some games will get suspended and teams may not play an equal number of games. That sounds like a fantasy mess waiting to happen, but it is what it is.

Add Team Kicker to Team QB and Team D/ST, to keep things less messy?
Why? Are kickers more prone to COVID? When to take a kicker is very strategic in these leagues. If it became Team Kickers, there would be close to no incentive to take one before the last round. As it is now, waiting too long on a kicker can kill a team. I would much rather leave individual kickers. 

• Smile
Reactions: ZWK
Why? Are kickers more prone to COVID? When to take a kicker is very strategic in these leagues. If it became Team Kickers, there would be close to no incentive to take one before the last round. As it is now, waiting too long on a kicker can kill a team. I would much rather leave individual kickers. 
Why do we draft Team QB, David? By and large, it's so that you don't get a zero at the position if something happens to one of your QB...but there's a  difference, of some measure (some  folks value it more than others, I'm sure) factoring in expectation (potentially) in drafting a QB with a competent backup (say, Prescott/Dalton) and, say, Goff/Wolford. When I draft PK in any League,  of course I look at the PK himself (talent)...but equally important, if not more so, the opportunity for FGA and XPA. I think that's what's somewhat unique about PK, at least how I evaluate - opportunity trumps talent, even if it's by a small margin. Every single NFL Team, regardless of it's exposure to C19, is going to have someone kicking FG and XP every week (unless a shutout), and the first criteria in my rankings/tiers is FG opportunities...but it's a very real expectation that a given PK may contract C19, and be out for a period of weeks, giving a Team a zero in that slot for that entire time period. Because this is an all-play (roster) competition, where every Player on the Roster has an opportunity to contribute to the weekly outcome, and not best ball, that's all the more reason to weigh PK opportunity slightly ahead of talent, and also an argument in favor of using Team PK over individual Kickers. I agree with you that there's some strategy about when to draft a PK, but I think it's allegorical that a big component of that involves 'who's going to be the 1st one to take one, and how soon the run is going to start after the 1st domino falls - hope I don't get caught at the wrong end of the run'. Hey, it's your contest, but I think some folks might be sour if they got a repeat zero out of a position that could be avoided if managed like TMQB and TMD/ST.

Why do we draft Team QB, David? By and large, it's so that you don't get a zero at the position if something happens to one of your QB...but there's a  difference, of some measure (some  folks value it more than others, I'm sure) factoring in expectation (potentially) in drafting a QB with a competent backup (say, Prescott/Dalton) and, say, Goff/Wolford. When I draft PK in any League,  of course I look at the PK himself (talent)...but equally important, if not more so, the opportunity for FGA and XPA. I think that's what's somewhat unique about PK, at least how I evaluate - opportunity trumps talent, even if it's by a small margin. Every single NFL Team, regardless of it's exposure to C19, is going to have someone kicking FG and XP every week (unless a shutout), and the first criteria in my rankings/tiers is FG opportunities...but it's a very real expectation that a given PK may contract C19, and be out for a period of weeks, giving a Team a zero in that slot for that entire time period. Because this is an all-play (roster) competition, where every Player on the Roster has an opportunity to contribute to the weekly outcome, and not best ball, that's all the more reason to weigh PK opportunity slightly ahead of talent, and also an argument in favor of using Team PK over individual Kickers. I agree with you that there's some strategy about when to draft a PK, but I think it's allegorical that a big component of that involves 'who's going to be the 1st one to take one, and how soon the run is going to start after the 1st domino falls - hope I don't get caught at the wrong end of the run'. Hey, it's your contest, but I think some folks might be sour if they got a repeat zero out of a position that could be avoided if managed like TMQB and TMD/ST.
There is a huge difference between good and bad Team QBs. A good one could score 550-575 points in a season. A poor one could only score 175. Thus why Team QBs get drafted anywhere from Round 1 to Round 18.

Kicker scoring is a much narrow bandwidth. A PK that stays healthy and keeps the job all season will not score that much less than the best scoring kicker. Sure, the top few are better, but not like the difference in Team QB's. What matters is securing kickers that have jobs locked up and don't get released. That what makes the strategy and decision-making involving kickers. You don't want to end up with one of the last kickers that loses out in a training camp kicking battle. Don't want that to happen? Take your kickers in earlier rounds.

Sure, maybe a kicker or two will get COVID and miss games. How is that any different than RB, WR, or TE? Should we go Team RB / Team WR / Team TE (that is actually a legit option in the MFL system)? Once in a while a kicker will get hurt (Gostkowski says HI). But those are the breaks.

The chances are this season overall is going to get messy with guys missing time and games not getting played at all, so IMO, I don't think there will be much likelihood that going to TMPK seems like something that merits serious consideration. Like I mentioned, if we went that way, lots of guys will make TMPK their final two draft picks as there is no risk of getting a zero from either spot and not much to be gained by taking them several rounds earlier.

But hats off to you for doing due diligence and detailed opportunity analysis on kickers. I, for one, can honestly say I don't even think about them at all until the draft is 3/4 done and I remember I need to take two kickers (so no research at all on kickers until then).

I would like to draft with you guys again. I was just wondering if I would get an email or not.

I like the rules the way they are. The bustered love child is fun too though.

Users who are viewing this thread