Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ministry of Pain

Would you Dine out or Drink at a local Bar/Grille?

Would you dine out right now or go out and have a few drinks?  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

I'm surprised that the first question is only 45%.  I would have expected something higher for this demographic.  

I’m not. People here are smarter than the average person IMO. That means realizing that just because stuff opens doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to go. 

Obviously depends on location too.  Some places are probably perfectly fine to eat out. Most places? Hell no. 

1 minute ago, Scoresman said:

I’m not. People here are smarter than the average person IMO. That means realizing that just because stuff opens doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to go. 

Obviously depends on location too.  Some places are probably perfectly fine to eat out. Most places? Hell no. 

Yea. Being a football forum, we may be centered around large population centers, ones that can support NFL franchises. So that would skew the demographic towards more problem areas.

33 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

One size does not fit all.  There is no single correct answer as much of it is based on your health, age, area, and family situation.  

Your statement that people being smart means they don't go out isn't necessarily accurate.  There are ways to be smart about it and still get out of the house.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zow said:

Flagstaff now. 

Nice I love it there. Great atmosphere in that town.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gally said:

One size does not fit all.  There is no single correct answer as much of it is based on your health, age, area, and family situation.  

Your statement that people being smart means they don't go out isn't necessarily accurate.  There are ways to be smart about it and still get out of the house.  

I agree but to an extent. Going out to a restaurant is completely unnecessary with the number of restaurants doing takeout these days. And I’m someone who loves going out to eat. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

I agree but to an extent. Going out to a restaurant is completely unnecessary with the number of restaurants doing takeout these days. And I’m someone who loves going out to eat. 

I disagree if proper precautions are in place.  Its a matter of risk and if 6' distance and masks are used then the risk is minimal for healthy individuals without risk profiles. 

Living life for some is worth that minimal risk but that has to evaluated by each person.  For you its not worth the risk.  For someone else it might be worth it.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zow said:

Flagstaff now. 

Nice! We’ll probably be up there sometime in July because the family really wants to get away. Have no idea what we’re gonna do outside of getting out of the heat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gally said:

I disagree if proper precautions are in place.  Its a matter of risk and if 6' distance and masks are used then the risk is minimal for healthy individuals without risk profiles. 

Living life for some is worth that minimal risk but that has to evaluated by each person.  For you its not worth the risk.  For someone else it might be worth it.  

Is it even fun though? For me going out to eat is about relaxing. Seems like that part is taken away.  I'd much rather just cook something at home and take a walk around the neighborhood, maybe that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tool said:

Is it even fun though? For me going out to eat is about relaxing. Seems like that part is taken away.  I'd much rather just cook something at home and take a walk around the neighborhood, maybe that's just me.

Although I don’t agree with Gally that going to restaurants in the short-term is necessary to “live life”, I didn’t find my single dine-in experience stressful at all. Truth be told, it may have been more relaxing than pre-COVID, as the restaurant is popular with an open kitchen adjacent to the dining area. Previously, it was pretty loud and bustling with people, but less people with greater spacing made it much more calm and intimate. If you don’t like crowds, it’s actually pretty nice.

2 hours ago, Tool said:

25 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Although I don’t agree with Gally that going to restaurants in the short-term is necessary to “live life”, I didn’t find my single dine-in experience stressful at all. Truth be told, it may have been more relaxing than pre-COVID, as the restaurant is popular with an open kitchen adjacent to the dining area. Previously, it was pretty loud and bustling with people, but less people with greater spacing made it much more calm and intimate. If you don’t like crowds, it’s actually pretty nice.

By "Live Life" I meant there are a lot of people that staying at home for 2 straight months is driving them batty.  I am not that way and don't mind being at home but I have friends that are going nuts.  If you are in that mindset and are young with no underlying conditions i see no reason you cannot take the proper precautions and go out to dinner.  Every situation is different.

As far as being nervous about being out, I had no issues with that.  Keep your distance and follow the proper protocols and you significantly reduce your chance of infection.  It is still a risk but so is getting hit by a car (and I am not comparing the virus to getting hit by a car....just that life does have risk that you cannot control).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biff84 said:

Nice! We’ll probably be up there sometime in July because the family really wants to get away. Have no idea what we’re gonna do outside of getting out of the heat.

Good deal. Still some decent stuff to do (hiking, golf, bearizona is open). Weather is currently perfect. 

I won't sit down inside a restaurant until a Vax is out.  Outside I will do.  Flawed pole.

3 hours ago, Gally said:

By "Live Life" I meant there are a lot of people that staying at home for 2 straight months is driving them batty.  I am not that way and don't mind being at home but I have friends that are going nuts.  If you are in that mindset and are young with no underlying conditions i see no reason you cannot take the proper precautions and go out to dinner.  Every situation is different.

As far as being nervous about being out, I had no issues with that.  Keep your distance and follow the proper protocols and you significantly reduce your chance of infection.  It is still a risk but so is getting hit by a car (and I am not comparing the virus to getting hit by a car....just that life does have risk that you cannot control).

The problem I see with dining out is being in one position next to others for a prolonged period of time.  Even if it's outdoors it makes me a bit nervous.  If they are eating, they are not wearing masks.  Lots of places use umbrellas or tents outside and consider them "outdoors" but who knows how these things can enable the spread of the virus.  Yes, every situation is different but people who measure the risk based on their own health are essentially ignoring how they can be asymptomatic and spreading it to others.  I mean, if I were an at-risk person and to get to the grocery store I had to walk down a street with a bunch of unmasked,  outdoor diners sitting around on the sidewalk, I might be a bit pissed.  

Plenty of things for people who are stir crazy to do outside.  Sitting in a restaurant with others is completely unnecessary.  

• Like 1

Hard pass for eating out for myself or my gf for a while. We have done delivery & curbside pickup, though.

Cooking & baking are hobbies of mine anyway so I was never the guy that ate out all the time. Plus, cooking is healthier & cheaper.

25 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

The problem I see with dining out is being in one position next to others for a prolonged period of time.  Even if it's outdoors it makes me a bit nervous.  If they are eating, they are not wearing masks.  Lots of places use umbrellas or tents outside and consider them "outdoors" but who knows how these things can enable the spread of the virus.  Yes, every situation is different but people who measure the risk based on their own health are essentially ignoring how they can be asymptomatic and spreading it to others.  I mean, if I were an at-risk person and to get to the grocery store I had to walk down a street with a bunch of unmasked,  outdoor diners sitting around on the sidewalk, I might be a bit pissed.  

Plenty of things for people who are stir crazy to do outside.  Sitting in a restaurant with others is completely unnecessary.  

I think that is an unfair statement.  You can be cognizant of the possibility of spread and take the necessary precautions to limit the possibility.  That is the best anybody can do.  Sitting at a restaurant that keeps people socially distanced is taking the proper precautions.  If you are high risk you do need to take other precautions and that may mean not traveling down a sidewalk next to a restaurant that allows diners.  Use the other side of the street to take an extra precaution. 

Every person is in a different situation and the only way to completely prevent spread is to isolate 100% of the people in their own homes.  Other than that there is a risk going outside.  You have to weigh that risk for yourself. 

1 minute ago, Gally said:

I think that is an unfair statement.  You can be cognizant of the possibility of spread and take the necessary precautions to limit the possibility.  That is the best anybody can do.  Sitting at a restaurant that keeps people socially distanced is taking the proper precautions.  If you are high risk you do need to take other precautions and that may mean not traveling down a sidewalk next to a restaurant that allows diners.  Use the other side of the street to take an extra precaution. 

Every person is in a different situation and the only way to completely prevent spread is to isolate 100% of the people in their own homes.  Other than that there is a risk going outside.  You have to weigh that risk for yourself. 

Fair enough.  I really don't disagree much with what you are saying here.  The only reason I would argue is that actually sitting at a restaurant is completely unnecessary to enjoy a good restaurant meal these days.  It's like a whole bunch of added risk for no reason at all, IMO.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Scoresman said:

Fair enough.  I really don't disagree much with what you are saying here.  The only reason I would argue is that actually sitting at a restaurant is completely unnecessary to enjoy a good restaurant meal these days.  It's like a whole bunch of added risk for no reason at all, IMO.  

I do disagree with that statement.  Getting a good meal delivered usually degrades the quality quite a bit.  It isn't "fresh" like you get eating in the restaurant.  It's not terrible in most cases (although I have had some bad as well) but it is much better fresh at the restaurant.  

For low risk individuals that may be worth the risk.  It is completely up to the individual whether or not that risk is worth it for them.  However, they should follow the guidelines to help minimize spread by wearing masks and keeping socially distant.  That is their responsibility as low risk people.  Gathering in close proximity with no masks is irresponsible and shouldn't be done regardless of your risk status. 

• Like 1

No matter how smart YOU may be, when it comes to dining in a restaurant, you are also at the whim of the actions of others. You can't eat in a vacuum if you are dining out. That's my largest concern. Seen way to many idiots in action to count on any of them to do the right thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Reserved a private room at Silo for us and 4 other couples this past weekend for my birthday.  10 people.  Was amazing, worth it.  :thumbup:  Great food, blew it out on the wine... just a blast.

@Ministry of Pain

I appreciate the time we get with our friends more than ever.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jobarules said:

Yeah this is another good reason to stay home. People under stress do some real questionable stuff. The risk/reward ratio is way out of wack now.

12 hours ago, jobarules said:

I can't understand a word of what anyone is saying, but I 100% am on the side of the woman wearing the mask.  The other people seem to personify everything that is wrong with this country right now.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

# of cases in my state (MS) is going the wrong way, so I won't be eating inside a restaurant for the indefinite future.  Judging by the crowds I've seen when doing takeout or making a Home Depot or grocery store trip, I'd guess only about 1/3 of people wearing masks or practicing distancing.  We've done takeout from 3-4 different places a couple of times since March, but my wife is manic about wiping down the containers and nuking the food in the microwave for a bit once it's brought in.  Got a daughter with pretty severe asthma, so we're admittedly overcautious bc of her.  

Edited by wlwiles

26 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

I can't understand a word of what anyone is saying, but I 100% am on the side of the woman wearing the mask.  The other people seem to personify everything that is wrong with this country right now.  

Doesn’t sound there’s any winners in this one. Unless I’m reading the article wrong, the woman in the mask coughed on other customers and her boyfriend hit someone with a bottle.

This is why the businesses need to take the precautions and not leave it up to customers to self regulate. Since we started a mask mandate the only issues we’ve seen have been customer-vs-customer, though they aren’t proactively enforcing it (compliance is about 95%).

5 hours ago, wlwiles said:

Got a daughter with pretty severe asthma, so we're admittedly overcautious bc of her.  

Rightly so! Good luck, I hope your daughter never has to deal with this.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Biff84 said:

Doesn’t sound there’s any winners in this one. Unless I’m reading the article wrong, the woman in the mask coughed on other customers and her boyfriend hit someone with a bottle.

This is why the businesses need to take the precautions and not leave it up to customers to self regulate. Since we started a mask mandate the only issues we’ve seen have been customer-vs-customer, though they aren’t proactively enforcing it (compliance is about 95%).

I agree with your sentiment about businesses needing to take control of the customers. I manage a retail store--and customers don't give a flying eff about anything.  Our shop is small and we implement distancing and a mask policy. We have signage out front--and luckily we have to physically "buzz" people into our shop as a security measure. We have magnetically locked doors--and they have to hit a buzzer for us to let them in.  If they hit the buzzer and don't have a mask--I'll walk closer to the door to where they can see me--and I'll point to my mask as a way of telling them "no mask= no entry".    I'd say that 60-65% of customers are great--but a good 30-35% of them think that they can do whatever they want and make up their own rules.  I'm sorry--but our house=our rules.   Our shop is small  and if we have 3 people in the shop at the same time--the next person that wants to come in doesn't get buzzed in until one client leaves.  If we left it up to the customers--they would all come in at once and not think twice.  While I love the vast majority of our customers--I'm not going to lie--there are many people that are just selfish and entitled.  With that said--there are lots of businesses that are soo hungry for business and cash that they just are just letting as many people in as they can.  Both businesses and customers have to act responsible. If they dont---this thing is just going to linger on longer and longer. 

Edited by jvdesigns2002
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I agree with your sentiment about businesses needing to take control of the customers. I manage a retail store--and customers don't give a flying eff about anything.  Our shop is small and we implement distancing and a mask policy. We have signage out front--and luckily we have to physically "buzz" people into our shop as a security measure. We have magnetically locked doors--and they have to hit a buzzer for us to let them in.  If they hit the buzzer and don't have a mask--I'll walk closer to the door to where they can see me--and I'll point to my mask as a way of telling them "no mask= no entry".    I'd say that 60-65% of customers are great--but a good 30-35% of them think that they can do whatever they want and make up their own rules.  I'm sorry--but our house=our rules.   Our shop is small  and if we have 3 people in the shop at the same time--the next person that wants to come in doesn't get buzzed in until one client leaves.  If we left it up to the customers--they would all come in at once and not think twice.  While I love the vast majority of our customers--I'm not going to lie--there are many people that are just selfish and entitled.  With that said--there are lots of businesses that are soo hungry for business and cash that they just are just letting as many people in as they can.  If they don't--this thing is just going to linger on longer and longer. 

Good on you. Well done. I hope it works out for you and you continue to profit doing things the right way!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, matuski said:

Reserved a private room at Silo for us and 4 other couples this past weekend for my birthday.  10 people.  Was amazing, worth it.  :thumbup:  Great food, blew it out on the wine... just a blast.

@Ministry of Pain

I appreciate the time we get with our friends more than ever.

So there were 10 of you getting drunk in a small space all together. Couldn't you at least be outside for #### like this?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, the moops said:

So there were 10 of you getting drunk in a small space all together. Couldn't you at least be outside for #### like this?

I haven't seen a steakhouse with outdoor seating in San Antonio, but we did have a big room.

I wouldn't have changed a thing regardless.  It was great.

Edited by matuski

11 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Indoor dining shut down in CA. No decision to make. 

It was bound to happen. Very few bars and restaurants in Southern Cali were following the guidelines. You’d see employees wearing masks and you’d see signage but aside from that patrons were basically doing whatever they wanted. Until the businesses and patrons get on the same page- this same pattern will continue to repeat until the business eventually dissolves. 

• Thanks 1

Even if tables are far apart and the wait staff and other patrons mask up I don't think I could do it. The table and chairs may get sanitized but then you've got dishes, eating utensils, glasses, etc being brought to you with food that has been possibly contaminated by multiple people. I don't even do much food delivery / curbside.

6 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

It was bound to happen. Very few bars and restaurants in Southern Cali were following the guidelines. You’d see employees wearing masks and you’d see signage but aside from that patrons were basically doing whatever they wanted. Until the businesses and patrons get on the same page- this same pattern will continue to repeat until the business eventually dissolves. 

And what you just stated is what makes it hard to feel bad for any of them. Here the bartenders and owners are trying to sue the state for shutting them down again. Yet none of them even bothered to try enforcing any of the mandates when they were open. Now they want everyone to feel bad enough for them to allow them to continue to be far and away the number one source of the spread. I don't see a lot of support outside of the hard core alcoholic crowd.

• Thanks 1

I am eating out but it's not a fun experience in any way...yeah people wear a mask but then they don't, in fact lots of people wear one to the table and then everyone rips them off, nobody re-masks on their way to the door which is the Mandate that was passed...you can't make a citizens arrest or anything, you don't want to act like a hall monitor...I don't think they should be open indoors right now for eating, 

I did it once or twice...lots of White Collar folks are off today, I got 3 lunch requests and I want to see these folks but they don't seem to understand the danger...now if we all have been tested and come back with the antibodies meaning we already had it and could ID ourselves in a way to show that...but see then everyone would claim they've had it. 

It's a little frustrating and because that triggers anxiety I simply choose not to participate for the most part. 

8 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I am eating out but it's not a fun experience in any way...yeah people wear a mask but then they don't, in fact lots of people wear one to the table and then everyone rips them off, nobody re-masks on their way to the door which is the Mandate that was passed...you can't make a citizens arrest or anything, you don't want to act like a hall monitor...I don't think they should be open indoors right now for eating, 

I did it once or twice...lots of White Collar folks are off today, I got 3 lunch requests and I want to see these folks but they don't seem to understand the danger...now if we all have been tested and come back with the antibodies meaning we already had it and could ID ourselves in a way to show that...but see then everyone would claim they've had it. 

It's a little frustrating and because that triggers anxiety I simply choose not to participate for the most part. 

I don’t think it matters if they wear it out on the way in or out. If one of them has it, and this is indoor dining, they are saturating the air with droplets in the hour or so they are sitting at the table eating. Wearing the mask on the way out won’t matter because everyone else breathing the same air for the last hour probably has it by then. 

On 7/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, cap'n grunge said:

Even if tables are far apart and the wait staff and other patrons mask up I don't think I could do it. The table and chairs may get sanitized but then you've got dishes, eating utensils, glasses, etc being brought to you with food that has been possibly contaminated by multiple people. I don't even do much food delivery / curbside.

It's nearly ####### impossible to get this from ingesting the virus.  I could give you a wuhan smoothie and you couldn't test positive with a toilet plunger pushed into your brain stem

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, wlwiles said:

# of cases in my state (MS) is going the wrong way, so I won't be eating inside a restaurant for the indefinite future.  Judging by the crowds I've seen when doing takeout or making a Home Depot or grocery store trip, I'd guess only about 1/3 of people wearing masks or practicing distancing.  We've done takeout from 3-4 different places a couple of times since March, but my wife is manic about wiping down the containers and nuking the food in the microwave for a bit once it's brought in.  Got a daughter with pretty severe asthma, so we're admittedly overcautious bc of her.  

Hola from the 39157.  The unmasked approached 90% at my nearby grocery store today.  Lots of people here clinging tight to their self-righteous indignation.

53 minutes ago, culdeus said:
On 7/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, cap'n grunge said:

It's nearly ####### impossible to get this from ingesting the virus.  I could give you a wuhan smoothie and you couldn't test positive with a toilet plunger pushed into your brain stem

Now do air-conditioning ventilation.

4 hours ago, culdeus said:

It's not the food so much as the glasses, dishes, utensils, etc. Constant contact. Bringing into contact with your face. Etc. 

Posted (edited)

I'm on record for being one of the most "prepped" folks leading up to this outbreak. 

I have been hitting restaurants a couple times a week for the last month or so. Probably 70% outside / 30% inside. I Wear a mask to my table or anytime I'm up from it, and generally I Wipe down main contact surfaces if it's not obvious the table wasn't recently sanitized. 

Staff have been wearing masks and using disposable cutlery (or I wipe it down). Tables are spaced WAY out (>6ft) in places I've been comfortable going to. Food itself is an extremely low likelyhood point of transmission. 

I've turned around and opted against eating at a couple places due to table spacing, staff mask practices, etc.  Overall, however, it's been nice to get out, relax with family and friends, and have a few drinks and a bite out in public. 

Edited by [icon]

Posted (edited)

Been out twice since Michigan reopened.   The experience was not the nearly the same and was not as enjoyable.  Not going out to eat again for awhile.  Would consider sitting outdoors though.

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I have been hitting restaurants a couple times a week for the last month or so.

Why? Do you and your family just enjoy eating out or what? Just interested in what would drive something like this in today's environment. I have a BIL that is likely doing this is SA, and I base that on the fact that his lazy wife hates to cook and it was quite common for he and his family to eat out several ties a week before this all hit. That, coupled with the fact they went to Disney on a vacation that ended exactly one day before Disney shut down tells me they are some of those that don't take it to seriously. But I know you aren't (weren't) in that boat. So just wondering why you take the risk, even if you feel the risk is pretty minimal?

Another record for cases here in Florida. More places voluntarily closing again because of positive employees or customers.

Not going out to eat right now.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

Now do air-conditioning ventilation.

It is very unlikely to get it to pass through HVAC systems.  The distance and turns in ducting and filters will dispute and collect the droplets.  Even directly coughing into a return vent is unlikely for transmission.  Very minimal risk.

2 hours ago, Gally said:

It is very unlikely to get it to pass through HVAC systems.  The distance and turns in ducting and filters will dispute and collect the droplets.  Even directly coughing into a return vent is unlikely for transmission.  Very minimal risk.

I should have been more clear.  I'm thinking in terms of how air circulates within the room.  I don't have link handy, but if memory serves, in the early days of the NYC covid-19 outbreak there was a restaurant where patrons on one side of a room came down with the virus while no one on the other side did.

I think it's painfully obvious that an increased density of people indoors is going to ramp the spread of c19, and I'm pretty sure we're seeing that play out in real time.

25 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

I should have been more clear.  I'm thinking in terms of how air circulates within the room.  I don't have link handy, but if memory serves, in the early days of the NYC covid-19 outbreak there was a restaurant where patrons on one side of a room came down with the virus while no one on the other side did.

I think it's painfully obvious that an increased density of people indoors is going to ramp the spread of c19, and I'm pretty sure we're seeing that play out in real time.

what does that have to do with HVAC systems?  If it was spread by HVAC then the people on the opposite side would have also been affected.

I think its fairly obvious that people in close proximity (anywhere) can spread the virus if it is present so i am not sure what you are trying to highlight.

2 minutes ago, Gally said:

what does that have to do with HVAC systems?  If it was spread by HVAC then the people on the opposite side would have also been affected.

I think its fairly obvious that people in close proximity (anywhere) can spread the virus if it is present so i am not sure what you are trying to highlight.

Bon Appetit.