What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

China v India in Galwan Valley - hand to hand combat with fatalities (1 Viewer)

Jayrod

Footballguy
I searched for a thread, but couldn't find one....so sorry if Honda.

But seriously, out of all of the news stories I've heard this year, this one has to be the most bizarre of them all.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/asia/india-china-aksai-chin-himalayas-intl-hnk/index.html

Basically a bunch of Indian and Chinese soldiers clashed in a disputed border area at like 14,000 feet above sea level in the Himilayas.  The catch was that none of them had any firearms or weapons to speak of, but ended up fighting with "sticks and rocks".  Not only did they fight, but many soldiers actually died.  India reported 20 dead soldiers and China hasn't stated anything, but Indian soldiers claimed there were definitely some Chinese casualties as well.  One article I read said some of the deaths were due to soldiers ending up in the Galwan River and succumbing to the frigid temperatures of the water.  There were also some who died from a combination of injuries and the harsh environment.

Latest thing I read was that China is now sending several martial arts experts to the region.  For two countries with the largest world's population who both possess nuclear weapons to be resorting to hand to hand combat is one of the most insane things I've ever heard of.  I'm still baffled and fascinated by the entire event and its aftermath.

Also, this was the first altercation with casualties in a long standing border dispute in like 50 years and there have been some negotiations taking place between diplomats of the two countries over the last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldiers without firearms boggles the mind.
I forgot to mention that this has been the norm in the region by mutual agreement of the countries.

They aren't agreeing not to fight over the area or attack each other, just that they won't be using any guns when it does happen.  :loco:

no shtick, that's more civilized than sending a bunch of people w guns
Civilized in that less people die, but I sure wouldn't want to be one of the guys getting beat to death with a rock, or be the guy doing the beating for that matter.

Seriously better than a showdown between two nuclear powers that would have the potential to go global over a regional dispute. Hoo boy. That's a crazy story, though. Thanks for posting, Jayrod. 

Civilized in that less people die, but I sure wouldn't want to be one of the guys getting beat to death with a rock, or be the guy doing the beating for that matter.
I read about this a few days ago. Article actually had pictures of some of the weapons from the site. Lot of what looked to be baseball bats studded with nails. Was weird.

Also read something implying that it was a planned attack by China, the net result of which was China occupying some number (60?, can’t remember) of square miles of disputed territory previously held by India.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/india-bans-tiktok-and-58-other-chinese-apps-following-border-clashes/

India announced a ban on TikTok and 58 other Chinese apps on Monday, following clashes between Indian and Chinese forces at the nations’ shared border.

The list of apps also includes Weibo, China’s counterpart to Whatsapp, and Shareit, a file-sharing app that has worked in the past with Google. India’s Ministry of Technology termed the apps “prejudicial to [the] sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order.”

"On the basis of…recent credible inputs that such Apps pose a threat to [the] sovereignty and integrity of India, the Government of India has decided to disallow the usage of certain Apps,” the Ministry said in a statement. “This decision is a targeted move to ensure the safety and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace.”

Clashes between Indian and Chinese soldiers in the Himalayan border region of Ladakh earlier this month saw 20 Indian soldiers killed and 70 injured, along with an unknown number of Chinese casualties. Troops along the border are not equipped with firearms, and the two sides fought using bats and clubs wrapped in barbed wire.

The two nations fought a war in 1962 over clashes in Ladakh. The region is a part of Kashmir and sits at the intersection of India, China, and Pakistan, all of which are nuclear-armed.

TikTok has also come under scrutiny in the U.S., with the military banning use of the app among its personnel. On Friday Apple claimed to have caught the app uncovering personal data on millions of users’ phones.

Users who are viewing this thread