Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hastur

Horror movie Saturday night hosts

There are several dozen horror movie hosts. Who is your favorite?

I 'discovered' Svengolie a year ago and love the program. The cringe worthy jokes are amazing. I don't like the music number he does but I'm warming up to it. 

Elvira and Morgus the Magnificent are other prominent late night hosts.

Who ya got?

We had Dr. Creep when I was growing up in Dayton.

Man I miss stuff like this.

Elvira

As of recently I have been watching a lot of Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive in. It's a pretty fun show with some really fd up movies.

8 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Elvira

My heart’s on fire.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, Hastur said:

There are several dozen horror movie hosts. Who is your favorite?

I 'discovered' Svengolie a year ago and love the program. The cringe worthy jokes are amazing. I don't like the music number he does but I'm warming up to it. 

Who ya got?

Been watching Svengoolie since he was Son of Svengoolie in the early 80s. :thumbup:

Rich Koz is the best!

• Thanks 1

Detroit had a three that I remember.

Saturday afternoons brought us Sir Graves Ghastly.   Pretty cheesy and tame.   Passable at the time for younger children, I suppose.

Saturday nights had The Ghoul.   More edgy and subversive, and more appealing to me.  It seemed like he might have split his time between Detroit and Cleveland, as he was on and off the air in Detroit from time to time.   

Also on, but more of a limited, special occasion basis was Count Scary.   Kind of a middle ground option, not as manic and cool as the Ghoul, but not quite as campy as ol' Sir Graves.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, purplehaze67 said:

Detroit had a three that I remember.

Saturday afternoons brought us Sir Graves Ghastly.   Pretty cheesy and tame.   Passable at the time for younger children, I suppose.

Saturday nights had The Ghoul.   More edgy and subversive, and more appealing to me.  It seemed like he might have split his time between Detroit and Cleveland, as he was on and off the air in Detroit from time to time.   

Also on, but more of a limited, special occasion basis was Count Scary.   Kind of a middle ground option, not as manic and cool as the Ghoul, but not quite as campy as ol' Sir Graves.  

I am just barely old enough to remember any of that but those sure were the days...sort of

Is Svengoolie the only one who is nationwide and current?  I don't get MeTV here...

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Keith R said:

Is Svengoolie the only one who is nationwide and current?  I don't get MeTV here...

Not sure. I bought a cheapo indoor antenna for my t.v. I'm about 12 miles away from Greenville SC and get about 23 channels with MeTV being one of them. It's my favorite channel.

Edited by Hastur
  • Like 1

All these local guys are awesome.  How do we bring this back??

Just now, shuke said:

I used to think because of the big networks huge investments into late night personalities like Letterman, Leno, Arsenio, etc. that we would never see these days again.  However, thanks to Fallon, Colbert and Kimmel being so repetitive, boring and unwatchable (imho - they all feel like infomercials for celebrities) - I think we may yet see the rise of local hosts - fingers crossed!

• Like 2

There's a thick, solid line from late night creature features to MST3K

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, shuke said:

If you have MeTV, you get Svengoolie on Saturday nights.

This Saturday:  Billy the Kid vs. Dracula.  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Psychopav said:

If you have MeTV, you get Svengoolie on Saturday nights.

This Saturday:  Billy the Kid vs. Dracula.  :D

I enjoyed Sinbad last Saturday, but I just don't know about Billy the Kid vs. Dracula.  It sounds so corny.  I will watch with an open mind though.

No mention of Joe Bob Griggs, or Honey Gregory? They were on TNT in the mid-late 90's, Monstervision I think. Watched it when I was in college. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD_v6Ndo8yc

Btw, if you need a Family Law attorney in Bloomington IN, you can retain her. 

• Like 1

This one stuck with me for some reason.  Creature From Black Lake (Youtube link to the movie).  I will have to save that for a late night viewing.  :D   I wonder how many of these "classics" are available on Youtube?

Joe Bob, Crypt Keeper, and Elvira are the ones I remember best. USA Up All Night with Rhonda and Gilbert Godfried wasn’t exclusively horror, but I think fit the category. I seem to remember a rotating list of female hosts on HBO or maybe some other syndicated channels.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, Hastur said:

I had no idea that Morgus was known outside of the New Orleans area.

I have no idea how old Morgus is, but the first rendition of his show debuted in 1959. He was on hiatus from 1971-1986, but came back strong to capture a new generation of fans in the 80s & 90s.

Morgus was still producing new episodes in the early 2000s. I think he’s done with television, but still appears now and then as Morgus at local events. 60 years playing Morgus.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:53 AM, zamboni said:
On 6/29/2020 at 10:44 PM, OrtonToOlsen said:

Elvira

My heart’s on fire

Giddy up

A-hmm boppa hmm boppa mau mau 

On 6/30/2020 at 4:53 AM, zamboni said:

My heart’s on fire.

6 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Giddy up

A-hmm boppa hmm boppa mau mau 

Don’t 

18 hours ago, SDJohnny said:

No mention of Joe Bob Griggs, or Honey Gregory? They were on TNT in the mid-late 90's, Monstervision I think. Watched it when I was in college. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD_v6Ndo8yc

Btw, if you need a Family Law attorney in Bloomington IN, you can retain her. 

Joe Bob Briggs started on The Movie Channel in the early 80s I believe.  That's when I saw him anyway, and he wasn't horror so much as "B Movies".  To a young 14 year old, I believe "B" stood for "boobs".  Wikipedia tells me that the show was called "Drive In Theater".

11 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Don’t 

Hiii ho Silver, a-wa-ay-ayyy...