What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Horror movie Saturday night hosts (1 Viewer)

Hastur

Footballguy
There are several dozen horror movie hosts. Who is your favorite?

I 'discovered' Svengolie a year ago and love the program. The cringe worthy jokes are amazing. I don't like the music number he does but I'm warming up to it. 

Elvira and Morgus the Magnificent are other prominent late night hosts.

Who ya got?

Elvira

As of recently I have been watching a lot of Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive in. It's a pretty fun show with some really fd up movies.

There are several dozen horror movie hosts. Who is your favorite?

I 'discovered' Svengolie a year ago and love the program. The cringe worthy jokes are amazing. I don't like the music number he does but I'm warming up to it. 

Who ya got?
Been watching Svengoolie since he was Son of Svengoolie in the early 80s. :thumbup:

Rich Koz is the best!

Detroit had a three that I remember.

Saturday afternoons brought us Sir Graves Ghastly.   Pretty cheesy and tame.   Passable at the time for younger children, I suppose.

Saturday nights had The Ghoul.   More edgy and subversive, and more appealing to me.  It seemed like he might have split his time between Detroit and Cleveland, as he was on and off the air in Detroit from time to time.   

Also on, but more of a limited, special occasion basis was Count Scary.   Kind of a middle ground option, not as manic and cool as the Ghoul, but not quite as campy as ol' Sir Graves.  

Detroit had a three that I remember.

Saturday afternoons brought us Sir Graves Ghastly.   Pretty cheesy and tame.   Passable at the time for younger children, I suppose.

Saturday nights had The Ghoul.   More edgy and subversive, and more appealing to me.  It seemed like he might have split his time between Detroit and Cleveland, as he was on and off the air in Detroit from time to time.   

Also on, but more of a limited, special occasion basis was Count Scary.   Kind of a middle ground option, not as manic and cool as the Ghoul, but not quite as campy as ol' Sir Graves.  
I am just barely old enough to remember any of that but those sure were the days...sort of

Is Svengoolie the only one who is nationwide and current?  I don't get MeTV here...
Not sure. I bought a cheapo indoor antenna for my t.v. I'm about 12 miles away from Greenville SC and get about 23 channels with MeTV being one of them. It's my favorite channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
All these local guys are awesome.  How do we bring this back??
I used to think because of the big networks huge investments into late night personalities like Letterman, Leno, Arsenio, etc. that we would never see these days again.  However, thanks to Fallon, Colbert and Kimmel being so repetitive, boring and unwatchable (imho - they all feel like infomercials for celebrities) - I think we may yet see the rise of local hosts - fingers crossed!

This one stuck with me for some reason.  Creature From Black Lake (Youtube link to the movie).  I will have to save that for a late night viewing.  :D    I wonder how many of these "classics" are available on Youtube?

Joe Bob, Crypt Keeper, and Elvira are the ones I remember best. USA Up All Night with Rhonda and Gilbert Godfried wasn’t exclusively horror, but I think fit the category. I seem to remember a rotating list of female hosts on HBO or maybe some other syndicated channels.

I had no idea that Morgus was known outside of the New Orleans area.

I have no idea how old Morgus is, but the first rendition of his show debuted in 1959. He was on hiatus from 1971-1986, but came back strong to capture a new generation of fans in the 80s & 90s.

Morgus was still producing new episodes in the early 2000s. I think he’s done with television, but still appears now and then as Morgus at local events. 60 years playing Morgus.

SDJohnny said:
No mention of Joe Bob Griggs, or Honey Gregory? They were on TNT in the mid-late 90's, Monstervision I think. Watched it when I was in college. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD_v6Ndo8yc

Btw, if you need a Family Law attorney in Bloomington IN, you can retain her. 
Joe Bob Briggs started on The Movie Channel in the early 80s I believe.  That's when I saw him anyway, and he wasn't horror so much as "B Movies".  To a young 14 year old, I believe "B" stood for "boobs".  Wikipedia tells me that the show was called "Drive In Theater".

Chilly Billy

September 14th 1963 the first episode of "Chiller
Theatre" premiered on WIIC, Channel 11 in Pittsburgh.
Bill Cardille was the off-screen booth announcer for the
show. The first movie shown was "The Brain From Planet
Arous" and it had a Saturday afternoon start time of 3:00
p.m.

In Philadelphia we had Dr Shock

The character Dr. Shock first aired on WPHL-TV on March 7, 1970, with the broadcast of 1963's Diary of a Madman. His first show lasted 13 weeks, but a protest march and 10,000 letters from angry fans put him back on the air, but required major show format changes. Three different shows were hosted during his career span, titled Scream-In, Mad Theater and Horror Theater.

The character he played was costumed as a lively zombie with slicked-down hair, a black frock coat and white spats, assisted in his laboratory by a one-eyed hunchback named Boris. His usual entrance was from inside a coffin. In the revised format, he brought on his nine-month old daughter Doreen in 1969 and named her "Bubbles" for the show's sponsor, Bubbles-Booth soda. This softened Dr. Shock's Count Dracula image and the toddler grew up on the air, along with his fans.

Always loved it when he blew up that smart ### Froggy. Almost a prototype of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Yes! Can't believe you found that. He was on Channel 43 out of Cleveland on Saturday nights. Used to love watching him blow Froggy up all the time. He was basically banned after his  "Best things in life are right here in Parma" skit. They replaced him with Big Chuck and Little John.

Tonights movie:  The Land Unknown.  Famous for its very low budget special effects.  Looking forward to how bad this is going to be.

Tonights movie:  The Land Unknown.  Famous for its very low budget special effects.  Looking forward to how bad this is going to be.
From IMDB:

Storyline

On a naval expedition to Antarctica, three men and reporter Maggie Hathaway crash-land in a crater 1000 m below sea level. There, they encounter steamy tropical forest, dinosaurs, carnivorous plants, and human footprints, as Maggie's clothes become more and more abbreviated.

Plus it is only 78 minutes.

onights movie:  The Land Unknown.  Famous for its very low budget special effects.  Looking forward to how bad this is going to be.
From IMDB:

Storyline

On a naval expedition to Antarctica, three men and reporter Maggie Hathaway crash-land in a crater 1000 m below sea level. There, they encounter steamy tropical forest, dinosaurs, carnivorous plants, and human footprints, as Maggie's clothes become more and more abbreviated.

Plus it is only 78 minutes.
Pretty scary, eh kids?

Users who are viewing this thread