Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Bryant

Mike Pence And Others Wearing Masks - Plea To My Pro Mask Friends

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the initial message from the health care community was discouraging masks because they didn't want them to disappear like toilet paper was. I believe the worry was the hospital systems would run out of them (which it looks like they did in many places). 

And the CDC did a 180 on masks. But they cant seem to get the story straight on if it was because the science changed and more was learned about COVID or what you stated and they didnt want the first responders to go without. 

I see one as acceptable, the other is negligence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Wasnt the initial claim that masks don't work? A claim pushed by the expert Dr. Fauci. 

That was a lie, and it's appropriate for Fauci to pay a reputational price for having lied to the public about this.  But the important thing right now is that masks really do work and people should get on board with wearing them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

I think if Fauci came out from day 1 saying masks were needed to prevent the spread, we wouldnt even be having this conversation today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

And the CDC did a 180 on masks. But they cant seem to get the story straight on if it was because the science changed and more was learned about COVID or what you stated and they didnt want the first responders to go without. 

I see one as acceptable, the other is negligence. 

Sure but that shouldn't have any impact wearing masks for the last couple months. Wasn't the mask thing figured out pretty quickly? My wife began sewing and sending masks to friends and health care workers at the start of April. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

And the CDC did a 180 on masks. But they cant seem to get the story straight on if it was because the science changed and more was learned about COVID or what you stated and they didnt want the first responders to go without. 

I see one as acceptable, the other is negligence. 

Fauci was quoted last week as saying that his own "don't wear a mask" guidance was specifically driven by worries about supply.  I posted it somewhere in the covid thread.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think if Fauci came out from day 1 saying masks were needed to prevent the spread, we wouldnt even be having this conversation today. 

How about if Trump did it?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see this as similar to people who are just now converting to anti-Trump. Sure I may think, "What the hell took you so long?"

But ultimately - who cares? They are here now. Welcome aboard. The view is great. Glad you are here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I think if Fauci came out from day 1 saying masks were needed to prevent the spread, we wouldnt even be having this conversation today. 

The President could also jump on the messaging bandwagon. I bet a lot of people would follow his lead.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Max Power said:


Wasnt the initial claim that masks don't work? A claim pushed by the expert Dr. Fauci.


Fauci didn't say that masks "don't work"; he said that there was no need to wear a mask in early March.

At any rate, I'm not sure why anyone would want to point to Fauci as justification to not wear a mask. Fauci's failure to push a strong anti-mask message is partly responsible for the current state of the pandemic.

edit: as Ivan pointed out, the Trump administration deliberately misled the public on masks. Why would anyone want to use that lie to justify a continued belief in that lie? Edited by Joe Summer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think if Fauci came out from day 1 saying masks were needed to prevent the spread, we wouldnt even be having this conversation today. 

For a large portion of this country, anything Fauci says that contradicts the President is being ignored.  #FireFauci

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:
19 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Wasnt the initial claim that masks don't work? A claim pushed by the expert Dr. Fauci. 

Back in March,  Fauci (and many other experts/organizations) didn’t believe that people needed to wear masks unless they were infected or caring for someone who was infected.

But as more information about the virus was learned they changed their stance.

The real reason was so the government and hospitals could get masks before the public started hoarding them.  I know this for a fact.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amused to Death said:

The President could also jump on the messaging bandwagon. I bet a lot of people would follow his lead.

That's one of about nine million simple things he could do that could help him turn around his deficit in the polls. The man got plaudits just for reading a speech that didn't specifically insult anybody; showing that he understood the problems that were affecting millions every day would practically turn the election around on its head. Just do some small things to show that you care; the virus wasn't a personal attack on you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Fauci was quoted last week as saying that his own "don't wear a mask" guidance was specifically driven by worries about supply.

Exactly.  A close friend of mine is an executive for a large mask manufacturer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Green Balloons said:

The real reason was so the government and hospitals could get masks before the public started hoarding them.  I know this for a fact.

I find that to be appalling coming from our health community. They need to put out accurate information and not lie to the public for what they think is the greater good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

What's the lottery ticket have to do with it?

Just funny that the guy was not wearing a mask because of the odds of getting the virus...but was buying lottery tickets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Green Balloons said:

Exactly.  A close friend of mine is an executive for a large mask manufacturer.

You know Dave N95?

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Wasnt the initial claim that masks don't work? A claim pushed by the expert Dr. Fauci. 

Long ago...but not quite what the claim was either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

 


Fauci didn't say that masks "don't work"; he said that there was no need to wear a mask in March.

At any rate, I'm not sure why anyone would want to point to Fauci as justification to not wear a mask. Fauci's failure to push a strong anti-mask message is partly responsible for the current state of the pandemic.

I agree with you. I'm saying in March we only had so much information available. Fauci was the #1 expert on this, so when he says dont wear a mask at the start, it's a hard bus to turn around now with conflicting reporting everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's some revisionist history at play here. If Fauci (among others) knew how effective masks of any sort would be against the spread of COVID, he would have suggested people wear ANY kind of face covering in public, not just N-95 masks. There was a lot that we didn't know in the early days of this thing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I agree with you. I'm saying in March we only had so much information available. Fauci was the #1 expert on this, so when he says dont wear a mask at the start, it's a hard bus to turn around now with conflicting reporting everywhere.

With all the information we have now, right now, what is the conflicting reporting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

Just funny that the guy was not wearing a mask because of the odds of getting the virus...but was buying lottery tickets.  

My sister isn't worried about Covid because of the low odds it would harm her or her kids.  Meanwhile, she won't get those same kids normal vaccines because she's read anecdotes of those who had bad reactions. :loco:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

You know Dave N95?

Oh, you know him.

Edited by Green Balloons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max Power said:


I agree with you. I'm saying in March we only had so much information available. Fauci was the #1 expert on this, so when he says dont wear a mask at the start, it's a hard bus to turn around now with conflicting reporting everywhere.


The bus would have instantly turned around if Trump, Pence, and the rest of the administration started using masks the moment the CDC updated its guidelines in early April, and if Trump called for a nationwide mask policy.

As it stands now, we still have conflicting information from our own administration.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm certainly not going to mock people for changing their minds and wearing masks. That's just silly and defeats the whole purpose of what we're trying to do right now (which is get out of this horrible situation as soon as possible)

But if I knew some "anti-masker" (I seriously can not believe this is actually a thing. How in the hell are people so dumb?) who held out until the end because "freedom....murica"  (or because of some BS reason like "I have anxiety"), you better believe I'd keep it in the back of my mind and that it would affect my opinion of them going forward.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

With all the information we have now, right now, what is the conflicting reporting? 

Do all masks work or only the N95? Does a surgical mask work? 

Does sunlight and heat kill covid? Was yes and now no.

Does the virus transfer on surfaces? Was yes and now minimal spread. 

I mean if there is a 1 stop shop for all information COVID that I'm missing, I'll take a link. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

I think there's some revisionist history at play here. If Fauci (among others) knew how effective masks of any sort would be against the spread of COVID, he would have suggested people wear ANY kind of face covering in public, not just N-95 masks. There was a lot that we didn't know in the early days of this thing. 

Fauci recently did an interview where he suggested they knew masks could reduce the spread, but chose to go with the masks arent neccessary route instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

How in the world did we get to the point where we have a term like “pro-mask” ?

For the record I am pro-seatbelt, pro-fire extinguisher, and pro-traffic light.

I’m pro looking both ways before crossing the road. I know opinions on that may vary.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Do all masks work or only the N95? Does a surgical mask work? 

Does sunlight and heat kill covid? Was yes and now no.

Does the virus transfer on surfaces? Was yes and now minimal spread. 

I mean if there is a 1 stop shop for all information COVID that I'm missing, I'll take a link. 

I think we are learning new info about it as we learn more. It's been a fluid situation. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see today Bill Mitchell is tweeting to his 500k followers several tweets that are very negative about wearing a mask. I am still worried we aren't going to fully get there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max Power said:


Fauci recently did an interview where he suggested they knew masks could reduce the spread, but chose to go with the masks arent neccessary route instead.


Right. So why use this as a justification to not wear masks?

At best, the administration was misleading the public.

At worst, they were lying.

Either way, they knew that face coverings provided a benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

I think Nate could be right here, but it's hard to imagine him changing his stance.

My guess is he'll mostly ignore the mask issue, now that his position is becoming more and more fringe.  Maybe throw out a few tasteless Tweets where Kayleigh gets to tell people he was joking. Now, he's got Pence providing cover of an officialish mask position for the Administration without Trump actually losing any cool points with anti-maskers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Wasnt the initial claim that masks don't work? A claim pushed by the expert Dr. Fauci. 

I think you are asking about what he said during a 60 Minutes interview:

-In the segment,  Fauci said there was no reason people in the U.S. needed to wear a mask.

The problem? That clip is old, and Fauci was simply echoing what many others argued at that time, including the U.S. Surgeon General, the World Health Organization (WHO), and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Since then, Fauci’s views and that of most organizations have changed, as more information became available about the disease.

snopes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe Summer said:

 


Right. So why use this as a justification to not wear masks?

At best, the administration was misleading the public.

At worst, they were lying.

Either way, they knew that face coverings provided a benefit.

I'm not trying to justify it, just pointing out why some are still resistant to it. 

I'm very disappointed in the response by many organizations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Do all masks work or only the N95? Does a surgical mask work? 

Does sunlight and heat kill covid? Was yes and now no.

Does the virus transfer on surfaces? Was yes and now minimal spread. 

I mean if there is a 1 stop shop for all information COVID that I'm missing, I'll take a link. 

There's a lot of uncertainty and unknowns when dealing with a virus we've never seen before. That's the beauty of science though, our opinions and instructions change as more becomes known. Our knowledge today is much different than it was 3 or 4 months ago.

Any face covering is recommended over no face covering.

Edited by Amused to Death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Wasnt the initial claim that masks don't work? A claim pushed by the expert Dr. Fauci. 

I don't think so.  It was that they weren't necessary.  Since then he's been telling anyone who listens to wear a mask, which is now about 10-12 weeks in.  We've also learned that the reason he was saying the masks weren't necessary was primarily because of the "fear factor" of the average American's panic (see the unexplainable toilet paper debacle that seems to STILL be going on) not that they don't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dozer said:

I think you are asking about what he said during a 60 Minutes interview:

-In the segment,  Fauci said there was no reason people in the U.S. needed to wear a mask.

The problem? That clip is old, and Fauci was simply echoing what many others argued at that time, including the U.S. Surgeon General, the World Health Organization (WHO), and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Since then, Fauci’s views and that of most organizations have changed, as more information became available about the disease.

snopes

Fauci just suggested they knew face coverings worked from the start and just chose not to inform the public. That is pretty horrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pollardsvision said:

I think Nate could be right here, but it's hard to imagine him changing his stance.

My guess is he'll mostly ignore the mask issue, now that his position is becoming more and more fringe.  Maybe throw out a few tasteless Tweets where Kayleigh gets to tell people he was joking. Now, he's got Pence providing cover of an officialish mask position for the Administration without Trump actually losing any cool points with anti-maskers. 

 

He could have made and given away MAGA facemasks by the truckload. We'd be better off as a country fighting the virus and his polls would be much stronger. Instead he continues to fumble this leadership opportunity....and Americans are suffering for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I find that to be appalling coming from our health community. They need to put out accurate information and not lie to the public for what they think is the greater good.

It didn't come from our health community, it came from the highest officials in our government.  What's really appalling is we had months to prep for this and there could have been plenty of masks to go around.  Instead, information was suppressed in the "hope" it would stay isolated to China and it would just go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think if Fauci came out from day 1 saying masks were needed to prevent the spread, we wouldnt even be having this conversation today. 

I'm not sure this would be true.  I can't see a scenario where a person who continues to reject the idea of masks today, after we now understand what they do, would have just magically fell in line months ago with a guy they'd never heard of before.  The more likely scenario is "hey, look at this guy Fauci.  Never heard of him...who's he to tell me I have to be wearing a mask".  I AM willing to acknowledge that things might have been different for a few had Trump come out pro-mask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Trump should do is create a new branch of the National Security Council that deals strictly with epidemics and pandemics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dozer said:

What Trump should do is create a new branch of the National Security Council that deals strictly with epidemics and pandemics.

That'd be a game-changer, I bet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the people changing their tune now likely knew the benefit the entire time but have chose to fall in line with Trump. Heck Trump probably even knows it but he thinks he will look stupid if he wears one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kansas starts mandatory statewide masks on Friday. That will be interesting psychology. Little balls of seething resentment. I am the only one at my place of employment regularly wearing one. I will avoid the temptation to welcome them to the party. How you can't protect others as part of decency and basic patriotism I will never understand. 

But its hard. I have a LOT of pent up anger over this issue but I agree Joe that grace is the more effective method. 

Still tho they'll be hanging under their noses guaranteed and I will want to murder them. But I'll try to play nice. 

  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Do all masks work or only the N95? Does a surgical mask work? 

Does sunlight and heat kill covid? Was yes and now no.

Does the virus transfer on surfaces? Was yes and now minimal spread. 

I mean if there is a 1 stop shop for all information COVID that I'm missing, I'll take a link. 

Aren’t we just talking about masks?  Don’t we know for a fact that all people wearing masks can reduce the rate of infection? Why does it need to be more complicated than this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

But keep on the "it's not me, it's THEM" shtick. I'm sure that's working great. 

Dude, that's your shtick 

1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

It can feel lonely in the middle. 

 

Also, this news is 24 hrs old already and the response has been nothing but positive everywhere I've seen.  Total non-issue.  You're not going to find people begging others to adopt a practice then mock them for finally getting aboard.    It's nothing but gratitude

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

I hope it won't be a problem. From what i can tell with Pence and Hannity and others moving this way, the tide does seem to be moving this direction with more wearing masks. 

I think it’s great. Now do global warming.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Aren’t we just talking about masks?  Don’t we know for a fact that all people wearing masks can reduce the rate of infection? Why does it need to be more complicated than this?

Its the bashing of Fauci or anyone but Trump to diminish Trumps responsibility here   --  what the heck does Rand Paul have against the guy ?!?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

I don’t want to mock anyone or rub anything in anyone’s face. But I do want it to be mandatory. I think it should be a federal law for the duration of the pandemic that everyone is required to wear a mask in public and there should be strict fines for not doing so. And this has been my position since Mid March. 
 

That being said, I do have to question why it’s the “pro-mask” people that need to be warned about mocking others, when it’s been the “anti-maskers” who have done all the mocking so far, starting with the President mocking Biden for wearing a mask and continuing with certain posters here who have mocked and trolled anyone who took wearing a mask seriously. So I don’t think we’re the ones you need to worry about. 

Imagine the enforcement.  By whom?  In federal courts with already clogged dockets?  Please expand upon your plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Imagine the enforcement.  By whom?  In federal courts with already clogged dockets?  Please expand upon your plan.

DW!!!!!!!!!!!  :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

I think it’s great. Now do global warming.

Forum is yours. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.