What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tucker Carlson Has Highest-Rated Program In Cable News History (2 Viewers)

Putting Tucker aside, I think it’s interesting that conservative talk shows get better ratings than liberal ones, both on radio and television. This has been consistently true for about two decades. I don’t know why this would be true but it is. 

Putting Tucker aside, I think it’s interesting that conservative talk shows get better ratings than liberal ones, both on radio and television. This has been consistently true for about two decades. I don’t know why this would be true but it is. 
Probably because there aren't as many conservative outlets.

It seems to be more entertaining for the viewers/listeners than what is offered on the liberal side.

A far as TV goes that is easy...conservatives are very limited in their choices on TV so they will congregate to something like Fox because there are not many other options...on the liberal side you have more outlets in channels like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS and NPR...it is a much bigger pie to slice...on the radio it just seems like an outlet that conservatives enjoy more and in all honesty are better at...it is pretty much the opposite of the print media which is overwhelmingly liberal...just seems like conservatives gravitate to the radio and the liberals to the print media.

I think it plays more to the narrative that they’ve setup - don’t trust anyone else, just us. If you believe that the conservative talk show hosts are the only ones telling the truth, you’re more likely to tune in religiously.

I also think that conservative hosts are much better at what they do. Maddow is the closest comparison and while I like some of her stories and research I find her and her format to be insufferable. I’d much rather listen to expert guests than a bombastic host. But I don’t think that’s true for conservatives especially right now. The format of Tucker, Hannity and the huge talk radio hosts just fits better with them.

It may be the audience he appeals to.  I got to think his senior demo is huge - and they are more likely to sit and watch at that hour.

I think it plays more to the narrative that they’ve setup - don’t trust anyone else, just us. If you believe that the conservative talk show hosts are the only ones telling the truth, you’re more likely to tune in religiously.

I also think that conservative hosts are much better at what they do. Maddow is the closest comparison and while I like some of her stories and research I find her and her format to be insufferable. I’d much rather listen to expert guests than a bombastic host. But I don’t think that’s true for conservatives especially right now. The format of Tucker, Hannity and the huge talk radio hosts just fits better with them.
Holy tone deaf Batman!

After posting in this thread I turned on Fox tonight. I saw some Irish guy who has “seized” a small part of the beach in Los Angeles and declaring it an autonomous zone. “Screw Newsom! Screw Garcetti! They let Black Lives Matter do it. Why not me?” The interviewer treated the guy like a hero. I was compelled to turn it off. 

Correct

That's why so many claim "fake news"...9 out of 10 cable channels are liberal.

You would think capitalism would catch up to Fox and we'd have more conservative options, but for whatever reason it hasn't.
Do you think this is the case for conservative options on cable TV, or conservative options in general?

A far as TV goes that is easy...conservatives are very limited in their choices on TV so they will congregate to something like Fox because there are not many other options...on the liberal side you have more outlets in channels like CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS and NPR...it is a much bigger pie to slice...on the radio it just seems like an outlet that conservatives enjoy more and in all honesty are better at...it is pretty much the opposite of the print media which is overwhelmingly liberal...just seems like conservatives gravitate to the radio and the liberals to the print media.
I guess this is what I am getting at with my questions.  The media bias chart has been posted many times around these threads - and several that you listed in there are smack in the middle of the bias chart as far as leaning left or right, but you list them as examples of liberal outlets.   

So now my questions are:  are these channels different than what was graded on that chart, or has Fox become so far right leaning that something in the middle like NPR is viewed as liberal when somebody goes from Fox to that? 

a critical thinker might examine that more closely 
I've got nothing...don't care enough to research it.  Fox is making a ton of money being the major conservative television outlet, eventually you'd think others would want a piece of the pie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got nothing...don't care enough to research it.  Fox is making a ton of money being the major conservative television outlet, eventually you'd think others would want a piece of the pie.
doesn’t take research.  Just takes a minute to look at the possible explanations 

It seems to be more entertaining for the viewers/listeners than what is offered on the liberal side.
One possibility is that, while liberals seem to do humor better than conservatives, conservatives tend to do outrage better than liberals. And outrage seems better suited for garnering radio and television ratings.

I don't know whether either prong of that theory (liberals being bad at outrage, outrage selling better than humor) would hold up to empirical scrutiny, but I don't have a better guess at the moment.

His attorney recently argued in court that TC has no obligation to tell the truth and that no reasonable viewer would consider his show as news. Seriously? WTF? 

His attorney recently argued in court that TC has no obligation to tell the truth and that no reasonable viewer would consider his show as news. Seriously? WTF? 
Now I wonder if you poll his viewers how many would say it's a news show.  

One possibility is that, while liberals seem to do humor better than conservatives, conservatives tend to do outrage better than liberals. And outrage seems better suited for garnering radio and television ratings.

I don't know whether either prong of that theory (liberals being bad at outrage, outrage selling better than humor) would hold up to empirical scrutiny, but I don't have a better guess at the moment.
Yes, on the topic of political humor, it is interesting that there are tons of reasonably successful shows that purposefully mix political and humor right now that are liberal (Bill Maher, John Oliver, Trevor Noah, Steve Colbert, etc.) but this model hasn’t worked on the conservative side.  I know a lot of people think Rush is funny, but my understanding is it much more news and opinion oriented than comedy.

I agree Liberals do humor better on TV,  but show the actual real outrage better in the streets.  I see conservatives talking outrage just can`t see conservatives trashing and destroying any city they live in like liberals do, or any city for that matter.  Be nice if both just talked the outrage game.

I agree Liberals do humor better on TV,  but show the actual real outrage better in the streets.  I see conservatives talking outrage just can`t see conservatives trashing and destroying any city they live in like liberals do, or any city for that matter.  Be nice if both just talked the outrage game.
Almost all liberals don't support trashing and destroying cities.

Um.....if conservatives don't trash the cities, doesn't that tend to prove Maurile's theory that conservatives are better at outrage?

Um.....if conservatives don't trash the cities, doesn't that tend to prove Maurile's theory that conservatives are better at outrage?
They're certainly better at being violent resulting in liberals being killed, but they sure love to go nuts when the opposite happens. 

Hooper31 said:
They're certainly better at being violent resulting in liberals being killed, but they sure love to go nuts when the opposite happens. 
Huh?  I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.  At this point, I have to believe you just made it up to excuse/justify the looting, burning and murder happening during these "protests".

Juxtatarot said:
Almost all liberals don't support trashing and destroying cities.
I don't believe this at all.  Every liberal I talk to just tries to justify/excuse the behavior because of "the white man", "the system", etc....

Hell, all you have to do is turn on the TV to watch how they fawn all over them and their "peaceful protest".  MSNBC had a guy that was literally standing in front of burning buildings and said, "it's actually quite peaceful" (paraphrasing).

Looks like Hannity lost about a 1 million and Tucker has gained almost 2 million, since they went different direction on wearing masks.

Hannity changed his tune at the end of May, but it seems to have had a direct effect.

Break down on Forth of July at White House .. National Anthem , Fox plays, CNN shows images does not play National Anthem..,Fox plays America the Beautiful.. CNN nothing.... Fox playsGod Bless America, CNN on commercial break. 

Break down on Forth of July at White House .. National Anthem , Fox plays, CNN shows images does not play National Anthem..,Fox plays America the Beautiful.. CNN nothing.... Fox playsGod Bless America, CNN on commercial break. 
Well, when you hate America and dissenting views it's not hard to see why they would do that.

KarmaPolice said:
I guess this is what I am getting at with my questions.  The media bias chart has been posted many times around these threads - and several that you listed in there are smack in the middle of the bias chart as far as leaning left or right, but you list them as examples of liberal outlets.   

So now my questions are:  are these channels different than what was graded on that chart, or has Fox become so far right leaning that something in the middle like NPR is viewed as liberal when somebody goes from Fox to that? 
CNN is as far to the left as MSNBC/NBC is these days. CNN pretends they are down the middle, but not sure how anybody watching can seriously make that argument.

CNN is as far to the left as MSNBC/NBC is these days. CNN pretends they are down the middle, but not sure how anybody watching can seriously make that argument.
I bring up CNN in that vein on these boards as well, I don't watch it, but I don't watch any cable news show, so I am not sure who is watching and why they are at this point.  

That chart has been posted many times around here.  CNN is in the "not really news" zone, but most of CBS/ABC/NPR/ was right in the middle.  Just thought it was interesting that the poster I quoted lumped all of those together as an example of liberal media.  

ETA:  on that chart NBC isn't that far left vs. the others I listed, so I also think it's interesting that you list it with MSNBC and CNN as well.  

I bring up CNN in that vein on these boards as well, I don't watch it, but I don't watch any cable news show, so I am not sure who is watching and why they are at this point.  

That chart has been posted many times around here.  CNN is in the "not really news" zone, but most of CBS/ABC/NPR/ was right in the middle.  Just thought it was interesting that the poster I quoted lumped all of those together as an example of liberal media.  
CNN definitely positions themselves as a straight news source. Somehow, they even get away with Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo in the evenings, but even forgetting them, I watch quite a bit of them during the day and their news has a very definite agenda.

My favorite guy on that network has to be Brian Stelter, their media watchdog. Incredible. Watch Reliable Sources on Sunday's and you're find very quickly how impartial this guy pretends to be.

Users who are viewing this thread