What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Today: Where Do You Rank Cam Newton And Jarrett Stidham Among QB? (1 Viewer)

Where do you rank Jarrett Stidham?

• 1-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-15

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 16-20

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 21-25

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • 26-30

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • 31-35

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • 36-40

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • 40+

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Lots of excellent talk in the Cam Newton to NE thread. 

Discussion is great. When you're drafting though, it comes down to having to make a call. And that call is: "Where do you rank Newton and Stidham today among the QBs?"

Personally, I see Newton as #19 and Stidham #36. Do I feel confident in those? Not really. But the draft doesn't care about your confidence. You have to rank them. 

What do you say? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Newton.  He is an absolute beast running and a decent enough passer and decision maker that his overall game is elite when healthy. 

I'd put Cam at number 12 or 13. Stidham is hard to peg since I haven't really seen him play. 

I've said it before but I highly recommend watching the All or Nothing look at the 2018 Panthers. He probably should have been shut down for his shoulder earlier, but man he really came across to me as a leader and a fighter. I think it is on Prime. I'm not sure I understand the criticisms of his attitude. 

Newton is a wildcard, he could be anywhere from 1-5 to 16-20 just depending on how healthy he is, voted 16-20 just combining the risk of lower receiver talent around him and his injury history. Just voted fairly low for Stidham because who knows. 

I've said it before but I highly recommend watching the All or Nothing look at the 2018 Panthers. He probably should have been shut down for his shoulder earlier, but man he really came across to me as a leader and a fighter. I think it is on Prime. I'm not sure I understand the criticisms of his attitude. 
He is an INCREDIBLE leader.  His teammates love him.

Sadly I understand where the criticisms come from and well, Ill just leave it at that.

Cam across his career (since 2011) ranks 7th in fantasy ppg. Since his MVP season (2015), he ranks 12th in fantasy ppg (since 2016).

I probably wouldn't draft him until the QB16-20 range in the poll. I am not fully convinced he is healthy and the NE offense skill players are limited. Plus I am not 100% convinced that Cam will start Week 1 and stay healthy all season. I also think NE will limit how much he runs or scrambles to try to keep him healthy (which obviously would cut into his rushing production).

Strategically, I would be more inclined to wait to take Stidham late in a draft if I still had roster spots available and a long bench. There is still a chance Stidham starts Week 1 (and could retain the job if the Pats keep winning) and a better chance that Cam would miss time from another injury.

That being said, I probably wouldn't really want anyone from the Patriots offense unless they fell a ton in the draft. I'd still want the NE defense, but offensively I think they will produce some tepid numbers and spread production across a lot of players offensively.

Cam is around 15-16 for me would lean to having him closer to 20 than 11 but he certainly is capable of more if healthy

Stidham is around 34-35. Behind every starter except Trubs and Tyrod/Trashbert but also behind backups Dalton, Winston, Love and maybe Foles

About equal to Haskins

More speaking right now than long term

I had to see how many teams there are in the NFL (brain lock); after seeing that I'd think Stidham is at least in the Top 5 best backups category. I somewhat aggressively ranked him 31-35, but definitely in the 33-37 range. We don't know what he can do in the regular season because he hasn't played serious regular season games, and the last 4 years are littered with backup QBs who have cratered once the real games started.

Cam comes with a big caveat, but it's a reasonable one. If Cam's shoulder is healthy and he's fully recovered from the foot injuries (he's now had 3 months to recover from mid-March and will have another month and a half before camp starts mid-August), then at worst you'd think he'd be average-slighty below average to start off the season. To me, he's 16-20 but tons of upside; if that determination makes me a Patriots fan then so be it.

I had to see how many teams there are in the NFL (brain lock); after seeing that I'd think Stidham is at least in the Top 5 best backups category. I somewhat aggressively ranked him 31-35, but definitely in the 33-37 range. We don't know what he can do in the regular season because he hasn't played serious regular season games, and the last 4 years are littered with backup QBs who have cratered once the real games started.

Cam comes with a big caveat, but it's a reasonable one. If Cam's shoulder is healthy and he's fully recovered from the foot injuries (he's now had 3 months to recover from mid-March and will have another month and a half before camp starts mid-August), then at worst you'd think he'd be average-slighty below average to start off the season. To me, he's 16-20 but tons of upside; if that determination makes me a Patriots fan then so be it.
So... Cam 17. Stidham 31.

Welcome to New England.

Do me a favor on your way an bring a few slices of pepperoni. 🙂

I put Stidham one tier below in the 36-40 range. There's easily 4 backups I'd take ahead of him. Mariota, Dalton, Winston, Hurts, maybe Foles. 

Sadly I understand where the criticisms come from and well, Ill just leave it at that.
Yeah... that’s the only reason... smh

Not due to his poor body language on the field and how he appears to give up, or making a business decision to not dive on a fumble in a big game, or his overall unlikable poor loser attitude.

It’s because of that. Yep. He’s a picture perfect athlete, I just wish people would judge the man by his actions, not... well I’ll just leave it at that 

Either I'm a homer (well, that's obvious) or folks are forgetting Matt Cassel's one good season (good enough to make other teams overpay for his services).

Newton 8

Stidham 17

I put Stidham one tier below in the 36-40 range. There's easily 4 backups I'd take ahead of him. Mariota, Dalton, Winston, Hurts, maybe Foles. 
Dalton, Foles agreed.

Mariota, Winston, Hurts nope.  Two have confirmed they aren't NFL starters; the other has confirmed nothing.

Yeah... that’s the only reason... smh

Not due to his poor body language on the field and how he appears to give up, or making a business decision to not dive on a fumble in a big game, or his overall unlikable poor loser attitude.

It’s because of that. Yep. He’s a picture perfect athlete, I just wish people would judge the man by his actions, not... well I’ll just leave it at that 
Lol the edgy burner account should be able to do better than this.

Put Newton in the 20-25 range, but not based strictly on talent. If he's healthy and plays out the string, I'd expect him to hover closer to 15, even with a pretty pedestrian crew around him. But there's far more then average risk with him, and the upside just isn't high enough to justify taking him ahead of 20 or so other guys. Stidham I put in the 30-35 area. If he wins the job outright he'll far outpace that, but chances are pretty good he gets a start or two and he's a nice dart throw (or handcuff to Cam?) late depending on your league and bench size

I like Newton.  He is an absolute beast running and a decent enough passer and decision maker that his overall game is elite when healthy. 

I'd put Cam at number 12 or 13. Stidham is hard to peg since I haven't really seen him play. 
He was a beast 4 years ago.   Thats a long time ago

Dalton, Foles agreed.

Mariota, Winston, Hurts nope.  Two have confirmed they aren't NFL starters; the other has confirmed nothing.
And so how exactly does that translate to ranking Stidham higher? I agree with your statement, but not as it relates to bumping him up. I think this is a little silly anyway because ultimately none of these guys are going to be on my teams except possibly in SF. I would only ever roster one of these backups if I absolutely had to. 

Fantasy wise, I'd have Newton in the 11-15 range, and Stidham probably around 40.

NFL wise, I'd have Newton in the 20+ range, and Stidham outside the top-40. Newton has long been a better fantasy QB than NFL QB, and I thought Stidham was a mediocre college QB, who showed a lot of glaring weaknesses. Newton hasn't been a top QB since his 2015 season, he hasn't been the liability some people seem to think he's been, but he's been a league average starting QB in my eyes. Its not unreasonable to think Carolina upgraded with Teddy.

I thought Stidham was a QB prospect who had poor deep accuracy, combined with checkdown tendencies, who didn't react well to pressure, and had mediocre overall accuracy. On the positives, he had underrated mobility(ran a 4.81, but showed escapability on tape) and had a pretty poor supporting cast other than Darius Slayton(though one could just as much argue Slayton was held back a bit by his QB play) I felt Stidham was more of a 6th/7th round prospect than a 4th rounder. I remember being surprised he went ahead of Gardner Minshew or Easton Stick, who seemed like better prospects to me, even a guy like Brett Rypien seemed more promising.

My opinion is that Stidham was no lock to be better than Hoyer, so he's got no chance against Newton, and I say that as someone who has been rather critical of Newton over the years.

I have real doubts that Cam's shoulder will ever be healthy enough for him to be an effective starter again. If I am wrong, he is a top 10 at least QB. 

He was a beast 4 years ago.   Thats a long time ago
He had over 750 rushing yards in 2017.  Not that long ago.  This is the classic recency biased buy low. 

I am not betting against BB and McDaniels ability to dominate with Cam at QB.  Cam will absolutely destroy fantasy if healthy.  10 plus rushing TDs. 

He's had a lot of time to heal and should be ready to go.  

It seemed like everyone hated the panthers that year. They were a cocky team, and when an upset Cam left the presser early people jumped on it like a chubby kid on a Ho Ho. They were looking for an excuse to bring them down.

i happened to like that Panthers team. They were scrappy & they looked like they were having a lot of fun. 

i don’t expect cam to be top 5, but 10th best? If he’s healthy I could see that. And for damn sure the Pats will be a MUCH more interesting team to watch with Cam than they would be with Stidham behind center. 

Newton has looked pretty bad throwing the ball for 3 years now.  He's going to need to sacrifice his body even further to be an above average QB.

Users who are viewing this thread