What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I have no patience lately. I walk around triggered all day long. (Surge capacity depleted?) (2 Viewers)

Like I said, my life overall is great and I have no reason to complaint. But I’m just triggered and constantly stressed and going at everyone.  Gotta be a reason for that. 
Please don't minimize your reasons for complaining.  You have every reason to feel the way you do.  This is the big suck no matter how good you have it.  MrR has a job that is safe.  We bought a house that is perfect for the stat at home stuff.  We have a nice yard with a lovely porch to sit on.  That still doesn't take away the suck of not being able to do the stuff we had plans for.  And not knowing when it will end isn't helping.  That's why I suggested the hour a day for you and Mrs Otis to decompress.  It's better for you and your kids.

How old are they?

Please don't minimize your reasons for complaining.  You have every reason to feel the way you do.  This is the big suck no matter how good you have it.  MrR has a job that is safe.  We bought a house that is perfect for the stat at home stuff.  We have a nice yard with a lovely porch to sit on.  That still doesn't take away the suck of not being able to do the stuff we had plans for.  And not knowing when it will end isn't helping.  That's why I suggested the hour a day for you and Mrs Otis to decompress.  It's better for you and your kids.

How old are they?
9-6-3 kids and a 3 month old puppy. Oof

I've had a really long, stressful last year and a half. I had vacation scheduled for April and May. Company merged with another at work, my role changed, my direct manager is out with a personal issue for months, expectations stay the same with no support and a ton of change, and I even got a really stressful part time gig just in time for the world to blow up. I'm taking an extra day of pto on Monday, and it's not enough, but four days should buy me a little time. 

I'm really lucky to have jobs I can do from an extra bedroom at home as well as having an extra bedroom at home, but I feel like all I do is stay in that room and talk to people on a freaking computer and I'm so over it. 

I'm stressed. I'm grumpy. I've got two sub-6 kids at home and everything sucks. I'm with you. I've been grumpy af lately and I don't like being that guy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
PM your address, friend.  I'll mail you some delicious peanut butter cookies that'll change your life.  On the house.  

Hang in there, GB.  I think a lot of us have had our Jack Nicholson "Shining" moment since lockdown.  Stress is no joke.  You're a good dude, people love you and things are hard.  Talking about them is good, so lay it on us anytime..
Yea, I am definitely, for sure, in the same space as Otis. Definitely. My address will be forthcoming

Eh, these fellas make some great and some not-so-great points but I don't think they've gotten to the heart of the matter.  Let me break it down for you.  Your dog is an ####### and doesn't recognize his job.   Any good dog in 2020 realizes his job is akin to the court jester of yesteryear.  They are there to amuse you.  Not stress you. Dog, go do funny #### and make me laugh. Be my buddy when I need it.  Snuggle up at the right time. Above all don't add stress. Don't be a needy, whiny, defecating problem. So go get your dog in line and life will follow.
I sense this was said out of jest, but there is a nugget here. Puppies are really hard and definitely add to the chores. However, dogs are also incredibly social and just the act of taking a break and playing or patting the dog can relieve stress. Sometimes it really is the little things.

Can’t wait for teenagers. Just people who can #### and fend for themselves. 
Careful what you wish for. My boys are 16 and 14 and I sometimes yearn for the carefree days where we were building pillow forts and playing dress-up and being in awe about new discoveries and simply being silly. Not these grumpy, agitated pot-stirrers who if anything leave more clothes and trash lying around the house than they did when they were <10.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread. If I'm honest, the part about life feeling like wake up, stress, worry, deal with crud, take on other people's problems, have no time for myself, go to bed, rinse and repeat was hitting me way before COVID. Life felt like a really bad Groundhog Day and often feels accentuated with COVID keeping us mostly housebound and in each others' faces.

Need to start doing a better job of taking care of myself, and then the ones around me, with some of the great advice here, because a down-spiral is something I've been on before, and it ain't fun.

9+ hours in an attic office isn’t healthy. 
This...At a minimum take 30 minutes for a real lunch which may be 10 minutes scarfing down food with your big hands and 20 minutes sitting on the porch.  

I’d also say get up every 90 minutes at a minimum for a 10 minute “break”.  We aren’t built to work isolated for 9 hours at a time.  If anything it ends up hurting the quality of your work.  Even if it’s just stretching in the attic with some music on for those minutes, it’ll help.

Same here, gb.  

The unfortunate thing is I don't see things changing either.

For myself, I start work every morning outside for at least two hours.  You've got a nice porch... utilize it.  I then force myself to take a 45 min lunch and do something outside of my office.

I don't think we will get the full value out of it, but we purchased an elliptical  so that everyone can get some exercise, and some release, even when it's 100 degrees.

I login around 7:30-8am and out around 7-8pm. I do try to force a 60-90 bike ride into the day somewhere, usually before the close of business hours, so there is coverage. Some days it's impossible, but I tend to be able to pull it off and it works wonders.

Being allowed to go back into the office was the best thing for my mental health. In fact, had a training class yesterday that gave the option of doing online or going into the class for training. I elected to go in because 8 hours at home doing online training sounded awful. I ended up being the only one that showed up in person  :lmao:

You gotta take some breaks and re-center. Get up and walk away from work for even 5-10 minutes every few hours. You’ll likely even find that it ultimately ends up making you more productive.

And get out into nature. Just taking a bit to see green grass and trees has shown to have big positive mental effects.

Being allowed to go back into the office was the best thing for my mental health. In fact, had a training class yesterday that gave the option of doing online or going into the class for training. I elected to go in because 8 hours at home doing online training sounded awful. I ended up being the only one that showed up in person  :lmao:
I liked WFH, but I'm happy being in the office again too.  Right now it's sort of the best of both worlds where I'm in the office, but almost all meetings are done over Zoom.  So in the kind of training session you're describing, I can have it on in the background while I work on other stuff, surf the web, or whatever.  I have a couple of recurring meetings that are death-marches in person but extremely tolerable and basically scheduled down-time in Zoom.

I liked WFH, but I'm happy being in the office again too.  Right now it's sort of the best of both worlds where I'm in the office, but almost all meetings are done over Zoom.  So in the kind of training session you're describing, I can have it on in the background while I work on other stuff, surf the web, or whatever.  I have a couple of recurring meetings that are death-marches in person but extremely tolerable and basically scheduled down-time in Zoom.
No doubt if it was a typical webinar I absolutely 100% would have stayed at home or gone into the office. Unfortunately it was for state licensing and the state put rather onerous mandates on it including recording the whole thing, potentially showing up live in the webinar to audit, and having the option to force you to re-take it if you leave the screen, look at a phone, have someone else appear on your screen, etc. Decided, screw it, if I can’t do anything else anyway, might as well go sit in the classroom.

I am at my desk in the attic by 9am and many days don’t leave the room until 6pm or later. 
Found the problem. Well, one of them. 
Yeah, that is basically working like in solitary confinement. I’d try to set up outside on the deck/patio a bit more — most people in my office work outside at least part of the day; makes me jealous when those folks show up on the video call and usually results in me then doing something similar.  (I used to do that even if I was in office too, heading up to the rooftop to do some work if the weather was nice.)  

If there is a call where don’t have to be in front of computer for (and maybe doing substantially more listening than talking), then maybe put on the earbuds and listen to it on a walk around the neighborhood.

As Oats is BigLaw partner, if marking up a document, walk around and mark it up with iPad and Apple pencil instead of sitting at desk all day, then send it to secretary or associate to implement changes. 

Yeah, that is basically working like in solitary confinement. I’d try to set up outside on the deck/patio a bit more — most people in my office work outside at least part of the day; makes me jealous when those folks show up on the video call and usually results in me then doing something similar.  (I used to do that even if I was in office too, heading up to the rooftop to do some work if the weather was nice.)  

If there is a call where don’t have to be in front of computer for (and maybe doing substantially more listening than talking), then maybe put on the earbuds and listen to it on a walk around the neighborhood.

As Oats is BigLaw partner, if marking up a document, walk around and mark it up with iPad and Apple pencil instead of sitting at desk all day, then send it to secretary or associate to implement changes. 
I think other reasons have played a bigger role to June being more enjoyable than prior months, but moving my office outside has definitely been one piece of it. They aren't always on, but when necessary headphones are a wonderful thing. This move has also made it more natural to get up and move every hour or so. 

Not sure what is possible, but you might look at dialing it back in the office.  I'm a supervisor and was technically responsible for about $2.4B in assets.  It was a very stressful job and I was often getting calls from the field in the middle of the night.  I literally felt like I was going mach 2 with my hair on fire for five years.  I made a lot of money, but I work to live...not live to work.

Mrs rascal and I had been talking about my job and the stress it's been causing.  So about four months ago I had a discussion with senior management.  Told them I wanted to stick around, but needed something less stressful and recognized that might mean less salary/bonus.

About a month ago I was given an opportunity to move to a different section.  The same type of work, but different assets and about 1/2 the portfolio.  I agreed and immediately felt the difference just knowing that I was going to something less stressful.  I start next week...thrilled!

Granted, I work in the public sector, but maybe you can do something similar?

What's the point of making an epic salary if you turn into an ####### no one wants to be around, too busy to enjoy the things that salary affords, and have health issues (or an early death) because of the stress that came from that epic salary?

Not sure what is possible, but you might look at dialing it back in the office.  I'm a supervisor and was technically responsible for about $2.4B in assets.  It was a very stressful job and I was often getting calls from the field in the middle of the night.  I literally felt like I was going mach 2 with my hair on fire for five years.  I made a lot of money, but I work to live...not live to work.

Mrs rascal and I had been talking about my job and the stress it's been causing.  So about four months ago I had a discussion with senior management.  Told them I wanted to stick around, but needed something less stressful and recognized that might mean less salary/bonus.

About a month ago I was given an opportunity to move to a different section.  The same type of work, but different assets and about 1/2 the portfolio.  I agreed and immediately felt the difference just knowing that I was going to something less stressful.  I start next week...thrilled!

Granted, I work in the public sector, but maybe you can do something similar?

What's the point of making an epic salary if you turn into an ####### no one wants to be around, too busy to enjoy the things that salary affords, and have health issues (or an early death) because of the stress that came from that epic salary?
This thought has occurred to me plenty, but I think that’s a whole different discussion. I have convinced myself to stay in my job for some more years to pay off some mortgages and do some more retirement savings. But who knows, maybe I’ll stay in it longer. 

In any event, my job was similarly stressful before COVID, and just seems I was better able to manage it then. It’s seemingly gotten a lot harder to do that. 

The bolded is something I’ve thought a lot about and need to make an effort to do more of. It’s hot here now, but still, the sun and exercise and a little sweat wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Sometimes it’s hard because they’re calls that don’t allow for it. 

I even thought about setting my weekly team call on one of my matters to be a walking call. Assumption is we all are out getting some air and exercise while we talk about the matter. Maybe I’ll do that. 

Personally, I near stopped drinking entirely when social distancing started. I might have a drink on Sunday evening when I play D&D and then maybe also if we have a special zoom session with friends.

I think less alcohol and more hobby focus has led to less stress. Then again I don't have any kids so it's probably worlds different.

Getting outside... for a walk, a swim, lunch.  

Wave and smile at people you walk past, have people say hello and smile back.  Just being around people outside the house.

Sounds stupid and simple when I read it back to myself... but this is a must for me each day, I feel better every time.

Yeah. I have a button inside my garage. Imagine a doorbell. Every time I wave I push the button and it is tied into an excel spreadsheet I have on the laptop I have in the garage. I have 10 years of data that I've started selling to companies that make shoes and tires.

I've taken that money and bought shares of CYDY back when it was trading at about .48 a share. While everyone laughs at the 'ol drunk guy sitting it his driveway, little do they know this guy is sitting on about 300,000 shares of stock now valued at a little more than $6/share.
Part of me believes that this is true or at least wants to believe it.

This thought has occurred to me plenty, but I think that’s a whole different discussion. I have convinced myself to stay in my job for some more years to pay off some mortgages and do some more retirement savings. But who knows, maybe I’ll stay in it longer. 
It's your decision, but does this align with what Otis of 10-15 years ago was marching towards?  Or has your needs/desires/expectations grown?  Are those things worth the stress?

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Your job sounds ####### awful. Yea, the salary, but damn

Not sure what is possible, but you might look at dialing it back in the office.  I'm a supervisor and was technically responsible for about $2.4B in assets.  It was a very stressful job and I was often getting calls from the field in the middle of the night.  I literally felt like I was mach 2 with my hair on fire for five years.  I made a lot of money, but I work to live...not live to work.
Totally agree with the above.

There's a point where "not worth it" comes into play. You can do  "me" half hours and meditate and take walks and all that, but at the end of the day, if you're chained to the desk from 9-?? and have overnight e-mails stressing you in the morning, well, you've identified the root problem.

In very simple terms, you need to take more control over your work life. Aren't you a partner now? You have a voice, right?  

I would rather have teenagers also (though granted I have never had teenagers before), at least they could make themselves a sandwich or lock themselves in their room and play computer games or whatever all day instead of requiring me to get up every 3 minutes because a 4 year old wants me to watch them poop (they can do everything themselves, they just want company) or other similarly inconsequential thing that happens 40 times per hour. Daycare and Preschool have just started up again, so hopefully we can regain some sanity (while not getting Covid).

Can’t wait for teenagers. Just people who can #### and fend for themselves. 
The issues just become different... and bigger kids mean bigger issues...... I predict that this post will not age well. 

That being said and addressing the issue at hand, I think we all feel that way to some extent or another.  I love my wife, I love my kids in their early 20's... I would kill to go to the office right now and have just a little bit of distance. I run, we get some separate time, but this is far more togetherness than we have ever had. What I have found helpful is where in the past I would have bit my tongue, I find myself offering constructive criticism, even before I really realize it, to squash small issue before they become larger ones. HTH. Hang in there. You are in the thick of it and it does in many way become easier. 

ETA: The walk and talk conference call. I have a standing call that is later in the day on Mondays. I walk the dog during that call every time because I do not have to take notes ( someone else takes minutes) and I do not need to be in front of a computer. It is a win-win in my book. 

Otis, 

Our days are very similar and I've been experiencing the same higher stress level as you. While you got a dog shortly before Covid-19, my wife and I took back in our former foster son and his one year older sister. While we are incredibly happy to have them, both came with some real behavioral issues and both need services for yet another disruption in their young lives. Their counseling and services came to a screeching halt when Covid-19 hit. School stopped. So basically we are at home with four kids under 6 years old in a <2k foot house (that we bought thinking we were set with our two daughters). While my wife is a saint, you can imagine trying to work from home during this with the kids running around. I start at 7 AM (9?? WTF man, I got two billable down by 9:00!!) and am lucky on a given day to be done by 6:00 PM. Obviously I'm wiped when finished but so, understandably, is my wife. The kids are draining. Working at home became so difficult (I try to work but struggle to ignore the times where my wife could use some help) that the last month or so I've been coming into the office most days (I'm in court way more than you so I have hearings multiple times per week even during the peak of Covid). Obviously when I get home I just want to relax but my wife wants a break. That's a challenge and my fuse is super short (which I chalk up to having to display the utmost patience with unreasonable clients throughout the day). And I think what has made this most difficult is that my wife and I just want to enjoy our kids but that hasn't been happening. 

I don't think there's a magical solution. You and I both know that while continuing to bill 50+ hours per week sucks, we're fortunate enough to be doing it during a time where a lot are out of work. We have wives that support us and put up with us. We have great kids. We live in very nice areas of the country. We work jobs that take a mental toll but we aren't literally breaking our bodies doing it like some labor jobs.

This time is just going to be ####### stressful. 

Here are some gentle suggestions that have helped me through this time: 

1. You gotta have a hobby. Covid-19 has actually been great for my golf game. I make sure that I get out for a late nine at least one evening per week and it's just established that I'm playing 18 (usually in a cash game or something) on the weekend. I've also focused on learning chess and would spent just a couple of minutes per day doing that Greatest of All-Time Sports Draft. Without this stuff I know I'd have lost it by now and likely damaged my marriage. My wife, who again is a saint, knows that I need these things and we have it worked out where she has gotten to the point of telling me what she wants (i.e. an afternoon to her self, some purchase, etc.) so she can deal with this stress, too. IIRC you're a guitar player. Learn some new songs or something. Go for runs. Make sure you get that row in as difficult as it is. Just do it for your own sanity. You need something enjoyable for yourself. 

2. Don't be ashamed to ask for help. We've employed a housekeeper during this time and our handyman is here probably ~1x/week. Are these tasks my wife and I could be doing? Probably and getting these services probably isn't the wisest financial decision. But #### if it isn't really nice. My wife has also broke down and called her mom to come up for a few days. 

3. Spend alone time with your wife. My wife and I eat dinner together every night at 8:30 after the kids are in bed. Sometimes we watch a show and don't really talk. Other times we have serious conversations. But you gotta have this time especially now where going on traditional dates isn’t really possible. 

4. Finally, and I recognize this is blasphemous, maybe try taking a longer lunch where you aren't just shoveling food back into your mouth. When at home I'll try to shut off work for like 30 minutes and eat with the kids. At this office I'll either grab takeout with any other coworker there or I'll take my time eating and watch some Wire reruns or chess videos. I know how hard it is but just take 20-30 minutes to mentally check out of work and, instead, enjoy your food and do something "fun." My afternoons are way more productive when I do this. If I power through lunch I can't work much past 5:00. So productivity isn't effected. 

Totally agree with the above.

There's a point where "not worth it" comes into play. You can do  "me" half hours and meditate and take walks and all that, but at the end of the day, if you're chained to the desk from 9-?? and have overnight e-mails stressing you in the morning, well, you've identified the root problem.

In very simple terms, you need to take more control over your work life. Aren't you a partner now? You have a voice, right?  
What he's describing is common to the job. There's not a fix to it. It's what was signed up for. 

Sorry Otis. 

The puppy was a huge mistake. 
Couldn't agree more. I have a colleague/golfing buddy who, along with his SO, got two puppies during Covid. Dude is more hindered by them then I am by my kids it seems. 

My wife loves dogs (we had to get rid of our two as they were aggressive to the kids) and thankfully has made it clear she has no interest in getting one during this time. 

Personally, I near stopped drinking entirely when social distancing started. I might have a drink on Sunday evening when I play D&D and then maybe also if we have a special zoom session with friends.

I think less alcohol and more hobby focus has led to less stress. Then again I don't have any kids so it's probably worlds different.
FBG Poker just about every night has helped me a lot.    If you have not bought the new fridge yet, have an appliance guy come out and look at it first. Might be an easy repair.

I don't think there's a magical solution.
:goodposting:  

Their isn't a magic bullet.  Coping mechanisms help.

One thing that I have used is a fetish object (An object that is believed to have magical or spiritual powers, especially such an object associated with animistic or shamanistic religious practices.that you carry around with you like a smooth stone or small piece of worn drift wood or a pocket watch, etc.  Any small object that feels good to the touch.  You imbued the object with good intention/feeling.  Think of the best parts of you and begin to associate those with the object so when you touch the object you connect with those intentions to help center/ground you.  

When a stressful situation is building reach for the object instead of blowing up.  The desire to lash out will be offset/substituted with the object that symbolically represents the best parts of who you are.  Your emotions will gravitate to the positive and peaceful intentions you have associated with the pleasing object rather than reacting to a situation that creates stress.   

Hope this is helpful to someone.

One thing that I have used is a fetish object 
go on...

like a smooth stone or small piece of worn drift wood or a pocket watch, etc. 
oh.

Just repeating what others have said, but feel like I'm in a similar-ish boat (stressful job, two kids 9 and 6 and a 2 month old brand new puppy).  We also decided to refinance our mortgage and do some home improvements which is another whole headache.  No idea how time-sensitive your work is but I get up and go for walks during the day, just around the neighborhood and listen to a podcast for 30 mins or whatever.  Might mean I have a little work to finish at night after the kids go to bed but I find that a lot less stressful than just sitting in the home office for 9 hours straight during the day.  I also sometimes practice meditation and it really is helpful, just a few minutes a day can help you.  I was skeptical (was suggested to me by the doctor to help deal with stress and anxiety) but it's been a nice addition to my routine.  

go on...

oh.

Just repeating what others have said, but feel like I'm in a similar-ish boat (stressful job, two kids 9 and 6 and a 2 month old brand new puppy).  We also decided to refinance our mortgage and do some home improvements which is another whole headache.  No idea how time-sensitive your work is but I get up and go for walks during the day, just around the neighborhood and listen to a podcast for 30 mins or whatever.  Might mean I have a little work to finish at night after the kids go to bed but I find that a lot less stressful than just sitting in the home office for 9 hours straight during the day.  I also sometimes practice meditation and it really is helpful, just a few minutes a day can help you.  I was skeptical (was suggested to me by the doctor to help deal with stress and anxiety) but it's been a nice addition to my routine.  
For you guys recommending meditation, where do you recommend I begin?  Is there a good website or book? 

Row in the morning to kick-start your day. Play guitar in the evening to wind down. It helps me.
Good call. Rowing in the morning does help, I need to remain committed to that, and guitar in the evening is something I need to do more of. 

For you guys recommending meditation, where do you recommend I begin?  Is there a good website or book? 
i’d half-heartedly looked for books/websites in the past and was always a bit overwhelmed by it, didn’t really “get” what it was all about and certainly didn’t have 30 minutes every morning and evening to practice or whatever they say.  i’m sure there are some good resources but i just do what my doctor told me, which is i just sit (anywhere, in any position, don’t get hung up on needing to be in a particular place or pose or anything).  breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth slowly, and just focus on what it feels like.  just pay attention to the sensation of air going in your nose and out of your mouth.  your mind will naturally start to wander, whenever you notice that it has, just send the thought away and re-focus on the breathing.  do that for 5 minutes.  if you don’t have 5 minutes, do it for 2 minutes.  or 1 minute.  that’s it. :shrug:  

that’s what i did to start, just to get used to the idea of noticing my thoughts and sending them away.  your brain is a powerful tool, but even the best tools aren’t left running 24/7.  you use them when you need to and you shut them off when you don’t.  we don’t do that with our brains but we should, and this is how you practice doing that.  

the other one i do is instead of (or in addition to) focusing on the breathing, i focus on three different things i can sense.  maybe something i can hear, something i can see, and something i can feel.  so like, maybe i hear the hum of the air conditioning, i see the pattern of daylight filtering through the blinds, and i feel my breath (or my legs resting on the chair, or the breeze from the ceiling fan, etc)  same idea, just focus on those three things and when you notice your mind start to wander to anything else, refocus.  don’t even need to be sitting for that, i do it randomly throughout the day, like if i’m standing at the sink washing dishes or whatever.  there’s some pseudosciency thing like the mind can only focus on up to three different things at once so if you pick 3 to focus on your mind will stop stressing about other stuff.  dunno if that’s accurate but it works for me, if nothing else it’s just a nice peaceful break in the day.  again, can just do it for a minute, doesn’t need to be a big formal thing.  the fewer barriers to starting the better.  if you find something that helps, you can build from there. 

I've had luck with the Wim Hof Breathing Method, but I'm also nuts so you might have to find what works best for you. Wim Hof has videos on youtube.

I'm no expert in meditation so I'll just detail random stuff I've tried. 

10 min of deep inhales and deep exhales while not allowing myself to react to any thoughts that come up has helped. What do I mean by react to any thought? An angry thought comes into my head. I don't allow it to affect my breathing. It's just a thought. You have tens of thousands of them every day. It comes into my head and passes. 

Some people meditate to a mantra. Saying "Here" in my head on the inhale and "Now" on the exhale has helped me in centering myself in the present moment. 

I've thrown in some progressive muscle relaxation. Squeeze my fists on the inhale. Progressively let go of the tension on the exhale. I've tried tensing my entire body on the inhale.......too difficult for me. 

One of the weirder ones I've tried. This is all completely sober btw. I close my eyes, and try to mentally bring myself back to a very upsetting event. And I try to essentially re-live that very upsetting event again. All the sights and sounds. Words said, conversations had. All re-lived. Like I said, I try to re-live the event like it was happening all over again. Only this time, I inhale deeply and exhale deeply. The entire 10 min. It takes a lot of mental effort to really put yourself back to an event that is very upsetting, but I can do it to the point where I feel like the event is happening again. Deep inhales and exhales. Breathe. 

Deep inhales and exhales- diaphragmatic breathing. I focus on deep breaths. Not shallow chest breaths. Deep stomach breaths. Put your hand on your low stomach. You should be able to move your hand out with your deep breath. Inhale through the nose. Exhale out of the mouth. I strive for either equal ratio of time between inhale and exhale or slightly longer exhale than inhale. I don't want a longer inhale than exhale. 

There are meditation tutorials and narrators on youtube. It distracts me so I just do it in silence and on my own. Probably a yoga instructor or some meditation expert out there that could give you a better answer, but that's what I do. 

i’d half-heartedly looked for books/websites in the past and was always a bit overwhelmed by it, didn’t really “get” what it was all about and certainly didn’t have 30 minutes every morning and evening to practice or whatever they say.  i’m sure there are some good resources but i just do what my doctor told me, which is i just sit (anywhere, in any position, don’t get hung up on needing to be in a particular place or pose or anything).  breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth slowly, and just focus on what it feels like.  just pay attention to the sensation of air going in your nose and out of your mouth.  your mind will naturally start to wander, whenever you notice that it has, just send the thought away and re-focus on the breathing.  do that for 5 minutes.  if you don’t have 5 minutes, do it for 2 minutes.  or 1 minute.  that’s it.
Yes. I breathe in and out through the nose, but the details don't really matter. As with a great many things in life, it's about 10% knowing what to do and 90% simply doing it, even if you have no idea how. Just take your best guess at how it should go and do that. Do it for at least one minute a day. If you feel like going longer, great. If not, no worries. One minute is fine.

Once you establish the habit, you'll probably decide that you like it, and you'll wonder how you can make it even better. At that point, maybe you'll do a Google search for some quick tips. Great. Maybe you'll usually go for at least five or ten minutes at a time. Great. Maybe you'll even read a book about it. Excellent. But the main thing is, just start doing it -- even for just a minute a day, even if you have no idea how. (And you do have some idea how; the quoted paragraph above is plenty to get you started.)

right there with you.  now try and work in the restaurant biz during this.  

gotta get outside.  at least i do.  i go run/hike/walk for an hour or so, clears the mind.

woo-woo bs that works also, is to take a moment, to truly appreciate something beautiful.  i've taken to smelling the peaches on my peach tree.  it's heavenly.

PM your address, friend.  I'll mail you some delicious peanut butter cookies that'll change your life.  On the house.  

Hang in there, GB.  I think a lot of us have had our Jack Nicholson "Shining" moment since lockdown.  Stress is no joke.  You're a good dude, people love you and things are hard.  Talking about them is good, so lay it on us anytime..
:confirmed:

Kids and dogs are all dependents and liabilities. The question is whether their pros outweigh their cons. Sounds like its a big fat no right now.

Hobbies/outlets will definitely help.  I always wanted to cook more often but never had time/energy due to being exhausted all week after the daily commute home and the standard weekend activities.

During the lockdown I bought a smoker, a cast iron skillet and an air fryer to go along with my grill and I’ll use all of them pretty regularly now for different things.  Smoked an 8 lb pork shoulder today for the first time (started at 5:30AM for a 9 hour cook).  Turned out great.  Never felt like I had the time to do things like that before.  It’s become really enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread