What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

what did you do as child that would be considered dangerous today? (1 Viewer)

• Zip line off the roof with a set of handle bars. One end of the line tied to the chimney, the other end to a tree in the backyard.
  • Had my shoes lit on fire with gasoline as a prank. Pretty nice 3rd degree burn and a lifelong scar from that one.
  • Taking public transportation wherever/whenever we wanted
  • Walking to the gas station in the middle of the night to buy cigarettes
  • Staying out til all hours in our sub-optimal neighborhood
  • Around age 10 (my brother was 12)- we would routinely spend the night fishing off a public pier on Lake Erie by ourselves. We'd just stay up all night or sleep on the pier.
  • Playing tag on a multi-level ADA viewing stand, bunny hopping or flipping over the rails as needed

rode 3-speed bikes off the second floor landing of the cottage garage onto some old mattresses. my brother & I were practically on a first name basis with the local ER, not sure how none of us got hurt doing that one.

in the fall we would put on snowmobile suits, helmets & goggles so we could shoot each other with bb rifles. that got old quick so we switched to pellet guns (bad idea.)

another favorite was hitting 3-iron line drives at each other from 50-60 yards.

built a chicken wire backstop & laid out a diamond, played hardball sans batting helmets.

as we got older we built a motocross in the field behind our house, with banks and ruts we filled with water and jumps using cinder blocks & plywood. caught some serious air.

bike tag. was a lot of fun until I went over the handlebars into an engine block.

probably a couple dozen other stupid things I’ve forgotten about. we were just bored country kids trying to make our own fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
-no helmets.

- bottle rocket/ roman candle/ Bb gun wars

- smoke filled cars

- no seatbelts/ back of station wagon/ back of pick up 

- tennis ball cannons (polish cannons above)

- skitching. Suburbs outside Philly, when it snowed, you'd sneak behind a car or truck driving past and garb the bumper for a tow and ski the streets

- kicked out of the house after breakfast, not home until dark

- WD40 flamethrowers

- not wearing a condom, because, "hey, when's the next time I'll be back in Haiti?"

As for actually dangerous, on family vacations we would take the station wagon.  Dad would put down the seat and put a mattress back there and that’s how the three is us kids traveled from Ohio to Florida and back.  
Ford Country Squire?

Lawn Jarts. Polish Cannon wars, rock fights
Man.  That brings back memories.  I grew up as an only child in the country so I got good at inventing games to amuse myself.  One of them involved throwing lawn jarts up in the air above my head over the electric wire and then snatching them out of the air on the way down before they hit the ground. No idea how I survived that. But I will say even though I'm old and fat now I still have uncanny hand speed. I credit the jarts.

Like a few others, I was a latchkey kid. Parents divorced when I was three, and my “supervision” after age 7 or so was my older sister, who is only 3 years older than.

So I basically did whatever I wanted: biking, playing in the woods until after dark, fires/explosive stuff and pellet guns. Fortunately I never got into alcohol or drugs.

Really lucky I turned out OK. That being said, I think today’s kids are coddled far too much, as the world is objectively safer as time goes on.

Shooting paper clips from your rubber band slingshot
Climbing a 2 story rooftop to get the whiffle ball out of the gutter
Hanging onto car bumpers in the snow
Holding a bong hit + a bear hug = doing the worm

Rode a motorcycle without a helmet.

Rode a bicycle without a helmet—down dirt embankments, off ramps, into lakes, etc.

Rode a skateboard through a homemade "ring of fire" (i.e., an abandoned door jamb which was doused in gasoline and lit on fire). Singed my eyebrows but otherwise came through unscathed.

Rode in a ski boat without a life jacket. (That one may seem fairly innocent but the boat's driver was my uncle and he was blind drunk.)

Rode in a car driven by my drunk uncle. Held his beer when we passed a cop.

We grew up in South Florida. Our house was always the house people came to. We had a basketball hoop in the driveway. 40 yard dash lines and a football field spray-painted in the road. Built our own wiffleball field in a vacant lot. Hit golf balls from our yard into the lots and next street over. Biked all over town to fish for Largemouth Bass in the nearby lakes.

When we were younger, we left the house in the morning and hit the woods or played sports all day. Parents would tell us not to come back in until dark. Dad would whistle for us at lunch. Mom would have a sandwich ready for us on the porch. We’d drink straight yellow well water supplied by our hose. We’d each have a machete and we cut down trees and did different things. 

Street football. 2 hand touch in the road, tackle if you ventured into the grass. Used to have about 15-20 deep at our house everyday after school in high school. 

Man.  That brings back memories.  I grew up as an only child in the country so I got good at inventing games to amuse myself.  One of them involved throwing lawn jarts up in the air above my head over the electric wire and then snatching them out of the air on the way down before they hit the ground. No idea how I survived that. But I will say even though I'm old and fat now I still have uncanny hand speed. I credit the jarts.
You think that's something.....when I would play at best friend's house growing up, he had a big open yard. My friend could shoot arrows pretty well, like big metal tipped arrows. We used to, on a handful of occasions (for dumb thrills I suppose), launch the arrows straight into the sky and try to track them and just idk, dodge them to dodge them. Cheap thrills. Sometimes when we would lose track of a shot, we would bail into the safety of the nearby garage for cover. Not sure how we're still alive really.

Just had a second grade flashback.  Not me, but I witnessed it.  A girl and a boy had a race to prove who was faster, where the winner was the first to touch the building.  I don't remember who won, but the boy's forearm was sliced open as it went crashing through a classroom window.  

ETA: It occurs to me that Olympic sprints would be a whole lot more exciting if they ran towards a wall and the winner was the first one to touch the wall.

The mosquito truck was a pickup with a big spraying machine mounted in the back of it that would go up and down every street in the summer months spraying a poison mist to kill mosquitos. Here is an example
It dons upon me that I have not seen a mosquito truck in the past two years; AND, there's been a corresponding drop in mosquito aightings.

Mission Accomplished!

I am assuming mosquito trucks are regional rather than outdated, since some of those trucks look pretty new and I have never seen one or really heard of them being a thing. 

CurlyNight said:
Walking 2 miles to and from school by myself in 7th grade.
We had a 2 mile walk in the Chicago burbs when there was actually snow and it stayed packed on the streets for weeks. We would grab onto the bumper of the school buses and cars coming from the sticks and “sket” to school.  Not sure why we called it sket and my apologies if that’s a sexual or racial slur.  That’s what the older kids called it, awesome it relates to skiing. 

We had a 2 mile walk in the Chicago burbs when there was actually snow and it stayed packed on the streets for weeks. We would grab onto the bumper of the school buses and cars coming from the sticks and “sket” to school.  Not sure why we called it sket and my apologies if that’s a sexual or racial slur.  That’s what the older kids called it, awesome it relates to skiing. 
We called it "bumper hopping" in the Philly burbs back when.  It's all fun and games until you glide over a not-so-slick curb-side drain

Joe Summer said:
Rode a motorcycle without a helmet.

Rode a bicycle without a helmet—down dirt embankments, off ramps, into lakes, etc.

Rode a skateboard through a homemade "ring of fire" (i.e., an abandoned door jamb which was doused in gasoline and lit on fire). Singed my eyebrows but otherwise came through unscathed.

Rode in a ski boat without a life jacket. (That one may seem fairly innocent but the boat's driver was my uncle and he was blind drunk.)

Rode in a car driven by my drunk uncle. Held his beer when we passed a cop.
Hey there nephew!

ShamrockPride said:
You think that's something.....when I would play at best friend's house growing up, he had a big open yard. My friend could shoot arrows pretty well, like big metal tipped arrows. We used to, on a handful of occasions (for dumb thrills I suppose), launch the arrows straight into the sky and try to track them and just idk, dodge them to dodge them. Cheap thrills. Sometimes when we would lose track of a shot, we would bail into the safety of the nearby garage for cover. Not sure how we're still alive really.
That's cheating.

Old ******* here and never heard of these
nfw ...the city would drive big trucks through neighborhoods on a regular basis spraying large clouds of insecticide (used to be DDT) to keep the mosquitoes down.  Nobody thought anything about it - we were happy to be rid of some of those pesky bastards.

It wasn't healthy.  

fruity pebbles said:
I feel sorry for today’s kids
For sure. I was taunted and bullied for having a funny last name and a different nationality but at least me and my family weren't physically harmed. 

As for actually dangerous, on family vacations we would take the station wagon.  Dad would put down the seat and put a mattress back there and that’s how the three is us kids traveled from Ohio to Florida and back.  
Y’all got a mattress? My dad had a ‘72 Dodge land boat, and I LOVED laying across the rear dash under the glass as we drove down the road.

Mowing the yard at 10y/o, wearing flip flops, after pulling the starter cord with my foot on top of the mower. 

Jumping into my friend’s pool off the roof of his garage. We had to get a pretty good running start for that one.

Buying a Rambo-style knife (with hollowed compass handle for storage) from the flea market, and then wearing it on my belt at the grocery store, mall, arcade, etc.

Playing late night doorbell dash at random neighbors’ homes. No security cameras (but not many home invasions those days either.)

We called it "bumper hopping" in the Philly burbs back when.  It's all fun and games until you glide over a not-so-slick curb-side drain
Similar. Just called it car hopping or hopping cars.

Had rr tracks and a freight yard nearby. Hopping the freight cars was also popular but obviously very different from hopping cars.

Play tag with a BB gun
BB gun fights with a rule of no head shots

That rule was often ignored

Before all the houses were built, we had a woods with a dirt path and a hill at the end
We would make a nice dirt ramp at the end of said hill, pack it down, and then and ride as fast as one could down the hill to get air and launch ourselves toward the path. If one landed on the path, we would spill our bikes because of the uneven dirt path and we were kids without any training but simply little kids on bicycle missles If we didn’t land on the path, the left side was those tiny little sticker plants that stuck you everywhere, poison ivy, rocks, and hard packed dirt. The right side was the embankment where at the bottom was the creek with a lot of leeches and bigger rocks

Helmets? No, not in the 70s

Proper protective pads? Not unless you count t-shirts and jeans as protective

Learn from our mistakes? No, you get up, you should do it again

No one died but many times we went home with a very severe limp and small loss of blood. I have to think that a couple of my scars today are from my Junior Evil Knievel days on a bicycle 

We drank straight out of the hose.  Yuk.

We set fire to everything.  We set fused fireworks and smoke bombs off INSIDE of the malls.  We bombed the Easter Bunny with Awful Awfuls while kids were on his lap.  We threw handfuls of bouncy balls into the sunglasses hut.  It had an opening in the ceiling so we hit it from above.  Typical weekend.

-no helmets.

- bottle rocket/ roman candle/ Bb gun wars

- smoke filled cars

- no seatbelts/ back of station wagon/ back of pick up 

- tennis ball cannons (polish cannons above)

- skitching. Suburbs outside Philly, when it snowed, you'd sneak behind a car or truck driving past and garb the bumper for a tow and ski the streets

- kicked out of the house after breakfast, not home until dark

- WD40 flamethrowers

- not wearing a condom, because, "hey, when's the next time I'll be back in Haiti?"
Was going to post this too

:lmao:   

nearly everything already mentioned.

didn't see this one.  we would steal shopping carts and take the to the BIG hill.  there were usually 4-6 of us.  we would pile in, hang off the sides, wherever.   my preferred spot was the up front, like a bowsprit.  it was the easiest place to bail from.  we would all jump in and ride down the hill, in/on the cart.  there was a sharp left, at the bottom.  we would make the turn less the 10% of the time.  we would crash into the curb and go flying.  good times.

we made a zip line from the hay door, on the 2nd floor, of a huge abandoned farmhouse.  my dumb ###, went first.  worked like a charm.  it was pretty sweet.  

No helmets.

Ever.
If my mom would have asked me to wear a helmet, I would have laughed in her face. There was zero percent chance of that happening. 

We Rode in smoky car, rode in back of pickup truck, station wagon no seat belt. In restaurants with smoke, walked home from school bus 1 mile by myself, went far into the woods by myself, gave high fives and shook peoples hands. 
The smoke- freaking everywhere. My friends parents would often give me a ride to elementary schooland when it was cold, they would crack a window and both chain smoke the whole drive. I must not have noticed too much, but everywhere must have smelled like smoke. By the time we were in 8th grade, the local bowling alley and diner would let us hang out there and smoke. Can you imagine a table of of 13 year olds smoking at a restaurant today?  Insane. Also one of the waitresses there would buy us booze and leave it in the alley for us after we left. We gave her the money and some extra with her tip on our bill. Very very suspicious now for why an adult woman was buying liquor for high school freshman. 

Damn I was a pretty boring kid. Didn't really do any of this stuff. 

Only thing I can think of is that as early as like 5th or 6th grade I could bikeride wherever I wanted. 

Never heard of this. Kinda looks like fun. 
best possible feeling for a Catholic boy - like being brought back to earth by an angel.

bonuses - you've just put yourself in great danger if you've done it right, because you want to reach the top of the tallest, thinnest possible birch (sumn a kid can do that an adult cant), putting yourself in mortal peril to get the best ride, PLUS the let-go may be the moment of most common injury cuz the tree whips back wikkidly, almost as if the angel's wing recoil could kill or blind you on the way back up

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Riding the subway to school in London circa 1978 (10 yoa).

Lived at the top of hill on cul d sac - would get a tire out of a garage and roll it down the hill, sometimes with a kid inside.  A couple of times it went (unoccupied) the length of our street and into busy road.  Hit a car once, and we all scattered in a hurry.

Made apple flingers, which were just thin sticks with sharp tips.  Would then have wars where we would stand across from another group and fling these small (golf ball size), rotten, apples at each other.  Big welty fun!

In summer, riding bikes (helmet free) around coastal Maine looking for returnables in picnic areas, dumpsters, and by the side of busy roads. At $.05/can or bottle, we accumulated some serious candy money but there were many close calls with traffic as the roads had no shoulders.

Playing Battleship at the beach.  One kid would swim back and forth with a snorkel about 10-20' offshore while the others would make giant sand balls and heave them at the swimmer.  The kill shot was to hit the head AND fill up the top of the snorkel in the same shot causing a sort of snorkel-echo yelp followed by a violent sand filled cough for the destroyed battleship.

Just about everything in this thread but I have not seen build ramps to jump your "sled". Some of the hills we found and went down - without a helmet of course........ and would be at it for hours - if your gloves got yet - you figured out how to keep your hands warm inside your coat - until you break your thumb in a spectacular wipe out :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread