What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vote on the new Washington Redskins name (1 Viewer)

Vote on these potential Washington Redskins names

• Braves

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Federals

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Red Tails

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Senators

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Warriors

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Hogs

Votes: 46 24.0%
  • Red Hawks

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Bravehearts

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
Yep. My thoughts exactly

I’ll plant my flag that whatever they decide won’t be good enough. You will never appease the mob. Unless maybe you rename the team the Mob. But maybe even then it’s racist to Russians, Italians, or any other nationality with historical mobs ties 
Give it up mate. Focus your energies on worthwhile things in life. 

warriors, as a name, no good.

check Wayne State University and see how they lost out.

once a Tartar, always a Tartar!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mascotdb.com%2Fteams%2Fwayne-state-university-tartars&psig=AOvVaw3OBpKMB7YXuTJUZHiK3Lgp&ust=1594165546436000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPiFzNLnueoCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAQ

Athletics[edit]

Main article: Wayne State Warriors

See also: Wayne State Warriors football and Wayne State Warriors women's ice hockey

The school's intercollegiate athletic program was established in 1917 by Director of Athletics David L. Holmes, who initially coached all sports. His track teams were nationally known into the 1950s; in his first 10 years, he produced two Olympians from the school's Victorian-era gym. Although he had major ambitions for Wayne and scheduled such teams as Notre Dame and Penn State in the 1920s, the lack of facilities and money for athletics kept the program small.

A student poll selected the name of "Tartars" for the school's teams in 1927. In 1999, the university changed the name to the "Warriors", due to the general feeling that the Tartar name was dated and most people were not familiar with the name's historical significance
My dad went to Wayne State in the '60s. About 20 years ago, we were driving through downtown Detroit and saw the exit for the school. Since we had never actually been there, we convinced my dad to show us around "campus" (I use the term loosely, since it's basically a commuter school). We went to the bookstore and he couldn't figure out why they all said "Warriors", since the mascot had been a Tartar during his time there.

I will be so disappointed if they don’t choose Red Wolves. 
Why Red Wolves?  I would think Red Tails honoring the Tuskeegee (sp?) Airman would be pretty cool.  I initially said the Warriors, but only if they kept the Native American theme, which it doesn't appear they are going to do.

Red Anything sounds dumb. There's no need (anymore) for an adjective to describe the noun of your mascot.

Red Sox/White Sox...okay. But it didn't need to be the TIMBERWolves. It could have been the Wolves.

It's not the Brown/Black/Polar Bears. It's not the Golden Eagles. It's not the mid-sized Jaguars. It's not the 1.21 Gigawatt Chargers.

Just pick a noun! 

Why Red Wolves?  I would think Red Tails honoring the Tuskeegee (sp?) Airman would be pretty cool.  I initially said the Warriors, but only if they kept the Native American theme, which it doesn't appear they are going to do.
Redtails would make sense for a team from Birmingham

Warriors sucks though: why would any team think, "let's name ourselves after a far more successful basketball team and like hundreds of high schools"

I like Red Wolves because it could be a cool theme:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCcAxBoFdDq/?utm_source=ig_embed

https://twitter.com/Fsmoot21SeanT/status/1280644579918860291

And fans howling in the stadium as a celebration also seems unique

As a plus it brings attention to a critically endangered species of wolf in the southeast US (Washington isn't exactly southeast US but Virginia+even pre Panthers NC has been Redskins country for a while

The Washington football franchise confirmed Monday that it would be changing its nickname after 87 seasons, though it did not reveal a replacement. 

In true Washington fashion, the Washington Post reports owner Daniel Snyder's "preferred replacement name is tied up in a trademark fight." It sounds like bullying someone else out of their trademark might be Snyder's final boss before he can finally do the right thing and announce the new name. He's only had 20 years to think about this. Week 1 is 62 days away. The Washington football franchise could be donning some default Madden create-a-uniforms against the Eagles.

SOURCE: Cindy Boren on Twitter 

Jul 13, 2020, 10:16 AM ET

As a plus it brings attention to a critically endangered species of wolf in the southeast US (Washington isn't exactly southeast US but Virginia+even pre Panthers NC has been Redskins country for a while
I've been talking to a friend in VA about the name and just mentioned that angle to her today.
The eagle in my avatar is the Eagles live mascot;I actually took the picture. They get more exposure for him for education on conservation and I think that is great.
Not suggesting they necessarily want to bring a wolf to the stadium. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone else kicking themselves for not trademarking these names back on July 3? I had just assumed they already were tradmarked. Talk about early retirement... damn...

Is anyone else kicking themselves for not trademarking these names back on July 3? I had just assumed they already were tradmarked. Talk about early retirement... damn...
Some dork already did this for 40+ options. "Trademark hobbyist " or similar is what he calls himself. 

I hope it's Red Hawks as my grade school alma mater changed their name years ago from the Redskins to the Red Hawks.  Just seems like  "Look at us leading the way!" (Half tongue-in-cheek) moment for a school with maybe 200 kids enrolled. 

I hope it's not Warriors  as that is way too boring/generic. 

Red Anything sounds dumb. There's no need (anymore) for an adjective to describe the noun of your mascot.

Red Sox/White Sox...okay. But it didn't need to be the TIMBERWolves. It could have been the Wolves.

It's not the Brown/Black/Polar Bears. It's not the Golden Eagles. It's not the mid-sized Jaguars. It's not the 1.21 Gigawatt Chargers.

Just pick a noun! 
You do realize that southern Miss is the golden eagles. 

Redtails makes a lot of sense. 

Adjectives are words too!

I hope it's not Warriors  as that is way too boring/generic. 
As an alum of Eastern Michigan I'm just glad they can't be the eagles.  Generic names suck.

Redtails would make sense for a team from Birmingham
It would, but there won't be an NFL team in Birmingham any time soon. 

Redtails makes a lot of sense here, and would market well. It gets my vote.

Re: Golden Eagles. Yes. And it's dumb. I was talking about Philly.

The Redtails are a terrific story. It was also almost 80 years ago, a very specific and limited event, and feels like pandering.

Not sure if Snyder wants to make a clean break or try and keep things looking similar.  If he's looking for as little change as possible, could go with Red Hawks and incorporate the feathers from the current logo somehow (although I guess they aren't actually red).

As an alum of Eastern Michigan I'm just glad they can't be the eagles.  Generic names suck.

It would, but there won't be an NFL team in Birmingham any time soon. 

Redtails makes a lot of sense here, and would market well. It gets my vote.
If you went to EMU,, you surely must know of the travesty that occurred at Wayne State.  A great and unique nickname, the Tartars, unceremoniously dumped in favor of... Warriors.  Blech. 

If you went to EMU,, you surely must know of the travesty that occurred at Wayne State.  A great and unique nickname, the Tartars, unceremoniously dumped in favor of... Warriors.  Blech. 
yep.

Although I graduated from EMU and left Michigan in 99, so I never really knew WSU as the warriors. 

The Code Talkers, who translated messages to Navajo so the enemy couldn't decode them. Not sure it would work as a team name though.
The Navajo Nation has just come out and suggested exactly this.  Doesn't roll off the tongue, but the story of the Code Talkers is pretty awesome.

The Navajo Nation has just come out and suggested exactly this.  Doesn't roll off the tongue, but the story of the Code Talkers is pretty awesome.
I am fairly certain someone would consider that offensive--not that it should be, but someone would

Really cool bit of history though

I am fairly certain someone would consider that offensive--not that it should be, but someone would

Really cool bit of history though
If the Navajos suggested it I don't see how it could be cancelled.  

I guess if the Comanche and Apache Nations get to vote, though...

No, it doesn't...but Windtalkers, the name of the movie about them, does.

Washington Windtalkers. I could get behind that.

Washington Red Siskins.   Call them the Red 'skins for short.

Another bird team to rival the Eagles and Ravens.  However, this finch seems to be pretty well contained to Venezuela.   Probably for the best.

Red Wolves or Wolfpack would be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread