What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and Kids Activities (1 Viewer)

Which activities are you lettting your kids do?

• Play non-contact sports

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • Play contact sports

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Go to daycare

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Go to school

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Go to work (part-timers)

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Sleepovers

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Dating/Hanging out (small groups)

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Dating/Hanging out (large groups)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Church/clubs

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Day Camps

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overnight camps

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Movies/bowling/indoor group activities

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don't let them do any of these activities

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters

AAABatteries

Footballguy
What are you guys doing with your kids as it relates to Covid and their activities?

I'm torn on this and really struggle with what to do in some cases.

Specific example - my son will be a high school freshman this fall.  He's a pretty talented basketball player and plays AAU baskteball in the spring.  His team has started practicing again and had a tournament this past weekend.  We were out of town so didn't have to decide but now that we are back he will want to play.  As boring as I find baseball I'd be happy to let him play it as it's outdoors and naturally social distanced. 

I tried to do a poll to get a feel for what others are doing.  Too many choices, so had to limit it as best I could.  Please provide explanations and what you guys are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to make changes to the poll options or if I'm missing any big items.  I realize I probably didn't do a great job grouping them but I'm a moron - never forget that.

but I'm a moron - never forget that.
i miss sigs

my kid went to a week long, daily lifeguard camp, on the beach, a week or two ago.  

she plays with the same two friends.  95% outside.  one of those friends, sleeps over at our house, often.

monday, we are taking 1 of those friends(sleepover one), plus one that she doesn't hang out with all the time, to the mountains for 4 days.

:shrug:   

We started up softball.   We are distancing as much as possible.

Still girls are getting a little too comfortable.

I'm on the 90% it's fine camp....

16yo Just found out High School Water Polo starts this week(mostly conditioning now). He's pumped and no way I'm stopping him. 

Have one doing baseball and one doing cheer (reluctantly....not a fan of the way this group is doing things....it's pretty clear they don't buy into the pandemic and they are doing the bare minimum to get by).  

None of the above.
Meaning no kids or you aren't letting them do anything?  If the latter, how old and how are they taking it?  We kept our younger 3 locked down for 2 months.  Oldest works at Publix so was working the whole time.  The kids activities, like cheer and basketball have started back and my oldest daughters part-time work has started back.  I guess I'm like lots of people and struggling with the balance of living life and being cautious.  Right now we are starting to get to a point where I'm uncomfortable with what we are seeing as things have opened up.  And as I mentioned in the main thread, we just went to the beach for 2 weeks - just social distanced essentially the whole time.  So I'm anxious to do stuff but trying to be safe.

Have one doing baseball and one doing cheer (reluctantly....not a fan of the way this group is doing things....it's pretty clear they don't buy into the pandemic and they are doing the bare minimum to get by).  
Yep, my youngest has been back a few weeks to cheer.  They are taking temps and making them wear masks but I have a feeling it not super enforced.  For basketball, it's business as usual although the coaches and ref are supposedly wearing masks.  And they are limiting fans and making them wear masks.

Anybody in the NE have basketball or cheer going on or are those still locked down with the phased approach?

Yep, my youngest has been back a few weeks to cheer.  They are taking temps and making them wear masks but I have a feeling it not super enforced.  For basketball, it's business as usual although the coaches and ref are supposedly wearing masks.  And they are limiting fans and making them wear masks.

Anybody in the NE have basketball or cheer going on or are those still locked down with the phased approach?
here in CA, school sponsored sports, are still shut down.  i think league play is as well.  not positive though

7 and 8 year old in baseball, no real social distancing going on, but just practice so far.  Games start this week and require masks on bench and kids 6 feet apart, can’t imagine how that will work out

also let them play with friends

My son (15) has a circle of friends and they get together, ride bikes, play volleyball, golf and do sleepovers in groups of 4-5.  He is starting beach volleyball today (kids in his carpool will wear masks while in the car.)  He has a volunteer gig at a dog shelter where he walks dogs and cleans cages (wears a mask indoors at this gig).

My daughter (9) started a summer tennis program today.  She is allowed to play with friends outside, but hasn't been doing much of that so far.

It is very hard being a parent this summer, especially with the 15 year old.  I like to respect everyone's decisions about how to do things with their own kids, but we are still constantly communicating with other parents and resolving differences in opinion on things.  It is very hard to just shut down a teenager when all of their friends are doing something. One of the complications for us is that one of my son's closest friends is the son of a prominent local pediatrician.  Within that friend group, its kind of hard for us to control what happens, other than just shutting him down. If Dr. friend's dad says something is OK, pretty much all the other parents are going to be on board with it.

We're battling a group who "makes decisions based on faith, not fear" here so that should tell you what you need to know about how this is going.  My wife has been relentless in sending them information.  Rumor is, after their summer break (last week) they will be in masks for everything except tumbling and conditioning.  I still can't figure out how they decided to draw the line there.

ETA:  All I know is we will absolutely be on the hook for $20+ masks with their bad logo on them....that is a guarantee.  

Meaning no kids or you aren't letting them do anything?  If the latter, how old and how are they taking it?  We kept our younger 3 locked down for 2 months.  Oldest works at Publix so was working the whole time.  The kids activities, like cheer and basketball have started back and my oldest daughters part-time work has started back.  I guess I'm like lots of people and struggling with the balance of living life and being cautious.  Right now we are starting to get to a point where I'm uncomfortable with what we are seeing as things have opened up.  And as I mentioned in the main thread, we just went to the beach for 2 weeks - just social distanced essentially the whole time.  So I'm anxious to do stuff but trying to be safe.
Age 7 - no activities with other kids. It is starting to wear on him. He and my wife are pressing each other's buttons daily now. 

From my experience I can't trust other parents. They say they are doing one thing - but it is pretty obvious from FaceBook and other social media they are doing something else. In one post they talk about how diligent they are being regarding social distancing but in the following post they have literally 20+ kids, plus parents, doing some 4th of July neighborhood bike parade with no masks in sight. I am sure the kids are far worse than the parents. I'm not generally one to wish bad things on people, but, at this point, I am bitter enough to hope all these people get sick soon so I don't have to. I have lost all sympathy and empathy for people falling ill due to their own negligence.

What are you guys doing with your kids as it relates to Covid and their activities?

Specific example - my son will be a high school freshman this fall.  He's a pretty talented basketball player and plays AAU baskteball in the spring.  His team has started practicing again and had a tournament this past weekend.  We were out of town so didn't have to decide but now that we are back he will want to play.  As boring as I find baseball I'd be happy to let him play it as it's outdoors and naturally social distanced. 

I tried to do a poll to get a feel for what others are doing.  Too many choices, so had to limit it as best I could.  Please provide explanations and what you guys are doing.
I help run the feeder program for our local high school - locally some AAU teams are back to practice and have started tournaments. We are not going to do that for the obvious safety reasons. That many people in an enclosed environment is a recipe for disaster. As much as possible we will follow CIF guidelines for our younger teams like we are doing for the high school team. One difference is that our program is truly focused on player development and getting them ready for high school, none of the coaches use it to make a living, which I think is a driving reason for why some of these teams are pushing to get back to practice and have tournaments.

For the high school, we are supposed to start back up tomorrow, but there is still a chance that it all gets cancelled (a local school district cancelled all activities last night, just a matter of time for others to follow suit) - we will have major social distancing rules in place -  temperatures and parental sign off of no symptoms within an hour before every practice, limited to keeping kids in "pods" of I believe no more than 10-12 kids - outdoors can have groups up to 50, but still separated into smaller pods with no intermingling in the larger group. If indoors, no more than 10 people total including player and coaches. No sharing of balls, so that means no passing, no rebounding for someone else, etc. Will be primarily conditioning, ballhandling and shooting. No games. Kids wear masks to/from practice. Parents drop off only, no loitering, as much as possible prefer no carpooling, especially if in different pods to help prevent cross contamination, but they admit they can not enforce that as it is not on school grounds.

Me personally, coming from the background as a coach, the risk of practicing indoors and especially in playing tournaments is not worth it at this point in time. But I am comfortable with my son doing the outdoor training, and the "pod" he is in with his teammates is his close circle of friends that he has seen and gone to the beach with anyway, so it is not really any additional exposure.

My middle son just started soccer practice for his club last week - similar guidelines in place - temperature before practice, mask to/from field, players spread out on field. He's a goalie, but for now still no shots or using hands, so he is getting a lot of extra footwork in.

E2A: From your list, the only box I checked was hanging out in small groups - for the kids it's the same small group of friends, it is almost all exclusively outdoors (bike riding, beach) and with parents that we trust to be fairly safe with social distancing. It's not living in a bubble strict, but it is allowing relatively low risk activities. No large gatherings, nothing indoors (other than maybe running to bathroom, etc.) and other than some outdoor training similar to what I noted above, no sports, definitely nothing with contact.

My son had his first baseball tournament today. All the regulations are just for saving face. Not a single person in the whole complex wore a mask including umps. Only got 1 inning before severe thunderstorms washed out entire tournament. 2020 

I'm convinced the only people in the US who are taking Covid seriously post on these message boards :lol:
I know I am one of the few left in my area. We are the ones getting the weird looks when we go out with masks or don't want to get within arm's reach of a neighbor. I'm honestly not sure what the get-back-to-normal people are expecting. Herd immunity (through any method other than a vaccine is a non-starter) and while the death counts have been decreasing they trail the infection rate. So, even if treatment/therapeutics have improved (I haven't seen any sort of silver bullet) I suspect with all the infections recently the number of daily deaths will start climbing in the near future. 

I know I am one of the few left in my area. We are the ones getting the weird looks when we go out with masks or don't want to get within arm's reach of a neighbor. I'm honestly not sure what the get-back-to-normal people are expecting. Herd immunity (through any method other than a vaccine is a non-starter) and while the death counts have been decreasing they trail the infection rate. So, even if treatment/therapeutics have improved (I haven't seen any sort of silver bullet) I suspect with all the infections recently the number of daily deaths will start climbing in the near future. 
where are you.

i'm in socal, orange county.  and nearly everyone is masked up. 

where are you.

i'm in socal, orange county.  and nearly everyone is masked up. 
Colorado. Public places or retail areas seem to have a lot of mask wearers but that probably doesn't matter when I see social gatherings disregarding all of it.

We're battling a group who "makes decisions based on faith, not fear" here so that should tell you what you need to know about how this is going.  My wife has been relentless in sending them information.  Rumor is, after their summer break (last week) they will be in masks for everything except tumbling and conditioning.  I still can't figure out how they decided to draw the line there.

ETA:  All I know is we will absolutely be on the hook for $20+ masks with their bad logo on them....that is a guarantee.  
Now that you mention it, I think I did overstate their policy and they are not doing tumble and conditioning in masks either.  I have trouble with the cheer lingo in general :lmao:  

I guess anything that involves others - stunting or choreographed tumbling are masked up.  There still seems to be no way that if there were a super spreader type event that most of these girls won't get it.

I voted for daycare/day camp as my 3.5 year old daughter started camp today, which is really done through her old school. Her school was shut down from March 13th until about two weeks ago, at which point we just decided to wait until "camp" to send her back. She has about 6 other kids in her class and two teachers, all wearing masks. 

We needed her to go back for several reasons, most important being that she really needed the social and structural components. This was a kid that loved playing, loved being outside, loved meeting new kids...that obviously all went away. She had no interest in just walking around the neighborhood or playing on grass in parks with closed playgrounds, and I didn't blame her. She was a very different kid and it sucked to see. 

First day was a huge success. Obviously it could get worse here again and it could get shut down in a couple weeks but we'll take what we can get at this point. 

Now that you mention it, I think I did overstate their policy and they are not doing tumble and conditioning in masks either.  I have trouble with the cheer lingo in general :lmao:  

I guess anything that involves others - stunting or choreographed tumbling are masked up.  There still seems to be no way that if there were a super spreader type event that most of these girls won't get it.
It's a total facade IMO. It's also a testament to how addicted my wife is to this cheer stuff. Ofc this were my sons ball team,  she'd have shut it down already. 

forgot to mention that my kid is doing algebra camp at a local high school.  they are actually making the kids keep the masks on, in class.  there's also this awesome super karen, mom.  she's outside at pickup and drop off, just LIGHTING KIDS UP, if they aren't 6 feet apart and or take their masks off.  it's hysterical and awesome to watch.  14 year olds don't give a rat's ###. she's very busy.

forgot to mention that my kid is doing algebra camp at a local high school.  they are actually making the kids keep the masks on, in class.  there's also this awesome super karen, mom.  she's outside at pickup and drop off, just LIGHTING KIDS UP, if they aren't 6 feet apart and or take their masks off.  it's hysterical and awesome to watch.  14 year olds don't give a rat's ###. she's very busy.
Kind of surprised a Mom like that let's little Melvin go to Algebra camp.

acarey50 said:
For the high school, we are supposed to start back up tomorrow, but there is still a chance that it all gets cancelled (a local school district cancelled all activities last night, just a matter of time for others to follow suit) - we will have major social distancing rules in place -  temperatures and parental sign off of no symptoms within an hour before every practice, limited to keeping kids in "pods" of I believe no more than 10-12 kids - outdoors can have groups up to 50, but still separated into smaller pods with no intermingling in the larger group. If indoors, no more than 10 people total including player and coaches. No sharing of balls, so that means no passing, no rebounding for someone else, etc. Will be primarily conditioning, ballhandling and shooting. No games. Kids wear masks to/from practice. Parents drop off only, no loitering, as much as possible prefer no carpooling, especially if in different pods to help prevent cross contamination, but they admit they can not enforce that as it is not on school grounds.
At 5:30, got the go ahead to send the reminder to everyone that we were a go for tomorrow. At 5:45, the district shut down the start of any new summer "camps", so we along with the majority of the sports are done. It was unclear if they are going to allow those sports that started last week or today to continue, but I would find it very odd if they decide that some can go forward and others can't when they were all going to be following the same guidelines.

E2A: And no sooner did I post this that word came out that all sports for the district are being advised to not operate.

Have pretty much let them do whatever outside.  My son is in marching band and they have "camp" starting in a few weeks.  It's just during the day and all outside so I'm fine with it.

Son (15) has gone to one friends house who has a pool and another friend was there too.  He had a week long camping trip with Boy Scouts.  Hammock camping and they were the only troop at the Scout reservation.  He is hiking and hammock camping with a few from church this week.  

Daughter (12) has gone to our neighborhood pool with some neighbor friends a couple of times.  And her dance classes opened back up at their studio and they hold the classes outside.

Other than that its still mostly been being around the house.

My kids are not doing anything with others. 

7 year old is an easy going kid and isn’t freaking out, but she’s mentioned how much she misses her grandparents, Neighborhood friends, cheer, gymnastics, soccer, everything you can think of many times. We just recently started the conversation that she might have to home school a year which is not what she wants to do. 
4 year old doesn’t really get why he can’t go in the pile of kids in our street anymore and they can, but otherwise doesn’t care. 
2 year old doesn’t know what’s going on.

A few thoughts and I think it's great you decided to put a thread relating to the current situation. Even if sports starts no guarantee it will finish, I expect things to start and stop a few times. What is happening in FL right now could eventually happen in Colorado just as an example. Texas could spill over into Oklahoma which is getting interstate spread from cities like Dallas Houston and Austin, it will be interesting how folks react in States that just haven't been hit hard yet but could eventually get there. 

OK but to your points, I would like to put in a big thumbs up for Tennis which if your son is tall, he would excel at serving and being up at the net. I understand Tennis requires some learning but an athletic person like your son could pick it up easier and Youtube is LOADED with videos from beginners on up. It's an awful big release when you strike a Tennis ball 100 mph as you whip around a 27 inch long racket, or using the very tip of the racket to land a gentle drop shot like a kiss off the glass in BBall, sort of.  

In general, I would see what some of your son's friends are doing and see if you can go with the flow but if it really bothers you, yeah you gotta tell him your the parent and he can't play. I don't envy your spot at the moment. 

A few thoughts and I think it's great you decided to put a thread relating to the current situation. Even if sports starts no guarantee it will finish, I expect things to start and stop a few times. What is happening in FL right now could eventually happen in Colorado just as an example. Texas could spill over into Oklahoma which is getting interstate spread from cities like Dallas Houston and Austin, it will be interesting how folks react in States that just haven't been hit hard yet but could eventually get there. 

OK but to your points, I would like to put in a big thumbs up for Tennis which if your son is tall, he would excel at serving and being up at the net. I understand Tennis requires some learning but an athletic person like your son could pick it up easier and Youtube is LOADED with videos from beginners on up. It's an awful big release when you strike a Tennis ball 100 mph as you whip around a 27 inch long racket, or using the very tip of the racket to land a gentle drop shot like a kiss off the glass in BBall, sort of.  

In general, I would see what some of your son's friends are doing and see if you can go with the flow but if it really bothers you, yeah you gotta tell him your the parent and he can't play. I don't envy your spot at the moment. 
As CM said, this is a tough situation to deal with.  They had a practice last night and I let him go - after picking him up I explained if he keeps playing that he won’t be able to be around the grandparents and we have to tell his girlfriend’s family so they can decide if she can be around him.  I almost wish they would just shut it all down.  This sucks - every kid is affected but some more than others based on what sport/hobby they do.

I was taking my 13 year old over to his cousin's neighborhood to play tennis in the evenings.  However, between it being too hot here in Florida and his cousin's parents not taking this thing seriously, I've distanced myself from them the last few weeks.  Now I take it upon myself to ride bikes, fish, and do other activities with him as much as possible.  

My 13yo daughter has lacrosse that starts tomorrow. They have sent us their plan which includes temperature checks, and social distance activties including splitting the team into groups of 9-10 and practcing at different times. She is going. 

My 10yo son had hockey which started June 26th. Similar to my daughter, BUT, they needed to get a Covid test before being allowed back on the ice. Full sheet for his team. No more than 6 kids on each half. He missed 1 practice because his test came in late. He has gone to 2 so far. 

I coach my daughters travel soccer team. We were allowed to start training yesterday. I am not ready to have practice yet. I have a ton of stuff we can do to keep it social distanced. I just dont see the point in the first week of July. It might make me a hypocrite to send them to other practices while not wanting to coach one, but there are no mandates for soccer. Just roll a ball out and play. Not comfortable with that. 

I am not allowed to train my Varsity soccer team. In fact, I will only be allowed when Gov Cuomo gives the OK. For now, I am sending them Individual Training workouts and having them run to get in shape. We have one virtual training a week for 30 minutes on google. 

ETA: i do not let them see their friends outside of going to their practices. 

In my humble opinion, if your allow a member of your house to work at Publix, you've had more exposure than just about anyone. Everyone goes to the market. Mask wearers, non-mask wearers, hand washers, non- hand-washers, you name it. 

AAABatteries said:
Kind of surprised a Mom like that let's little Melvin go to Algebra camp.
I'm not. If you look around, people change their stance if they think its a worthy cause. I'd call it hypocrisy, but whatever. 

Been feeling OK so far with youth baseball. Kids act the same regardless of what you tell them. Attended tournament this past weekend here in mid Atlantic. Nothing was different, other than a few signs, and a few parents in masks. Family tents still all right next to each other, maybe only change there was adults not visiting other tents. 

usssa director for this region emailed to say just got out of hospital from having it and his wife is still in there. He left hospital in wheelchair.  A reminder to be smart and safe. Seeing that made me quite surprised that the games are still going on. That’s the unfortunate side as getting back on the field is way more about the $$$ and less about the kids. 

our local leagues have yet to start their spring seasons. Had hopes of beginning practice in mid July but that might be further delayed. 

was surprised to see a basketball tournament happen this weekend. I have no interest in my kids playing an indoor contact sport at this time. 

this is all a long winded way of saying determine your own risk tolerance and assume that zero precautions out of your control will be taken, because they likely aren’t. 

Controlled play dates for the younger boys (6 & 8yo) with only one friend at a time and an outdoor location that allows distancing. Masks are worn if the activity allows it but it's usually bike rides / skateboard / beach so those activities are not great for mask use. Also have a 12yo that is allowed to hang out with the same 2 friends in the neighborhood; walking around / bikes / outdoor stuff. 

Sports are just starting up but they've never done summer sports so no way we start this year. Lost lacrosse season; gymnastics closed and no way they go back to that for a while, unfortunately. Too much equipment and padding in a big gym to feel comfortable with it, and only the little guys were doing that in non-competitive format so no rush to get back. 

In my humble opinion, if your allow a member of your house to work at Publix, you've had more exposure than just about anyone. Everyone goes to the market. Mask wearers, non-mask wearers, hand washers, non- hand-washers, you name it. 
I know - we debated early on asking him to quit.  He's 18 and we felt he could make the decision for himself.  He said they started asking him to do more shifts as some older people needed to be out due to Covid concerns or needing to do childcare.  We've attempted to social distance ourselves from him as best as possible - but you are right, we are "exposed" pretty much every day.  It's been stressful but I honestly didn't know what else to do other than have him take every precaution he/we can.  Publix has been pretty good about keeping their employees protected and I was proud of him for wanting to take shifts for people that couldn't.

7 and 8 year old in baseball, no real social distancing going on, but just practice so far.  Games start this week and require masks on bench and kids 6 feet apart, can’t imagine how that will work out

also let them play with friends
My son played his first tourney the prior weekend (one before 4th). They made them all stay outside the dugout and parents had to stay well back. It’s outside, but I figure we’ll have to wear masks this weekend.

As @belljr said above, definitely a little too cozy with the boys. I’ve got another starting lacrosse practice but the coach has been very strict with the clinics they’ve had so far but there will be a bit more closeness.

I’m starting to think that school athletics aren’t happening in the Fall. I was already doubtful before but thankfully my soon to be 10th grader is just concentrating on lacrosse now after two consecutive football knee injuries (one surgery). That means we don’t have any school sports this Fall.

Other thing on the 15 year old...they are waiting to hear if there will be a marching band "season".  They have yet to be able to rehearse in person.  By now they usually have 2 weeks of camp already done, and multiple practices each week after that (at least for the drumline).  Coming off a year where they won the top competition in the state...they are hoping to have something.  Not sure with instruments blowing air out all over the place...but for sure they can easily keep them distanced out on a field.  He is at least hoping to be able to get together with the drumline (and they hope things can be a bit better by December/January when they start their winter drumline as most of it was cancelled this past year).

We started up softball.   We are distancing as much as possible.

Still girls are getting a little too comfortable.

I'm on the 90% it's fine camp....
same here, and some of the parents flat out do not care about social distancing. 

Travel soccer starting here next week - practices and 'friendly' scrimmages organized by one of the NJ leagues.  Not sure how I feel about this, but we are letting my 13yo participate.

We haven't had to make any of those decisions as nothing is really available at the moment.  The HS was supposed to start spring sports this week but it was postponed due to the uptick in cases. 

Our schools are talking about starting up in the fall with 2-1/2 days in the classroom and 2-1/2 days from home.  I don't really get this concept but that is what they are talking about.  It seems half-assed and a decision based on perception rather than just logic. 

However, I wouldn't have a problem with team activities with proper precautions in place or going back to school in some manner (proper precautions in place)

Younger daughter rides horses, and works part time at the barn - mandatory social distancing and masks

Both kids have had a couple of friends over at a time.  We did two separate Hamilton Watch parties to avoid overcrowding in the house.

Still waiting to see what schools are doing this fall - but will send, assuming masks required.

Younger daughter rides horses, and works part time at the barn - mandatory social distancing and masks

Both kids have had a couple of friends over at a time.  We did two separate Hamilton Watch parties to avoid overcrowding in the house.

Still waiting to see what schools are doing this fall - but will send, assuming masks required.
Look at Mr. Fancy Pants and his equestrian family!

13 and 9, NYC (just returned after 3 months hiding out near OC, MD) 

We'll let them do outdoor stuff with a friend as long as they're both wearing masks. They both are continuing music instruction, but remotely. An art and math "camp" upcoming remotely. We've had some in person tennis lessons and played some with them as well. 

Won't be doing any in person group things for a while.

That’s the unfortunate side as getting back on the field is way more about the $$$ and less about the kids. 

100%. Don’t mean to sound judgmental of anyone choosing to participate, but that’s for sure what’s going on. There is a travel ball field right behind my house that has been packed the entire time. Even while schools were closed????They can not afford to take the year off. 

Users who are viewing this thread