What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What does Mahomes Deal Mean for Dak Prescott? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Clarence Hill says this means the floor for Prescott is now $35 Million.

What do you think the Cowboys do? 

I think it makes sense from Dak’s side to go with that argument. But Mahomes may very well end up being the best QB in NFL history. Dak is not in that realm at all. Paying him like he’s even close to that is foolish IMO.

Prescott is not Mahomes. His agent is welcome to ask for whatever number, but no guarantee he will get it. In general signing a contract sooner rather than later for any player saves the team money, since it seems the price keeps going up where the highest contract in the league is just the most recently signed good QB. I can see Mahomes long contract working out for KC as the price of QBs get more expensive over time, but Mahomes has also looked like the best QB in the league, and Prescott has not. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Prescott is not Mahomes. His agent is welcome to ask for whatever number, but no guarantee he will get it. In general signing a contract sooner rather than later for any player saves the team money, since it seems the price keeps going up where the highest contract in the league is just the most recently signed good QB. I can see Mahomes long contract working out for KC as the price of QBs get more expensive over time, but Mahomes has also looked like the best QB in the league, and Prescott has not. 
While it is true that over the past 20 years or so that player contracts keep going up as time passes, that is with the salary cap also going up every year, which does not seem to be the case for the 2021 season where there is likely to be a decline in NFL revenue and thus the salary cap.

Incidentally what I learned about the salary cap is that if it does decline by a lot, that player contracts will adjust downward to meet the new cap number based on the percentage that the cap declines rather than all of the teams being over the cap and needing to cut contracts to get under it.

So what you are saying is normally true but in this case the cap may go down and if it does then future contracts will be bound by that, and Mahomes deal may not seem like a bargain compared to subsequent contracts in a declining cap space scenario. 

Maybe this reverts to normal for the 2022 season but as of right now I would expect the salary cap to go down in 2021.

I doubt it makes any difference to Prescott's upcoming deal. Mahomes and Prescott are extremely far apart from a value sense, and both Dallas and Prescott's camp know that. 

Having said that, the $35 million number is probably a reasonable expectation, but that was the case regardless of what Mahomes did.

I can't say I have anything concrete to back this but my gut feeling is that unless Jerry caves this year and gives Dak the 35 mil and an extra year (very possible), he will be traded next offseason to a team like the Colts, Bears, Raiders, Saints, etc--a team with a base of competitiveness but missing a QB (due to retirement or other reasons).

Obviously this changes if he reaches a Super Bowl or something

Mahomes: very likely multiple time SB winner

Dak: will be lucky to participate in one SB

Let him walk.
Disagree with let him walk, agree with the original premises. The reason Dallas doesn't make will be due to their defense and cap situation, not their QB and general offensive one. Dak's got great numbers inside the numbers, if I'm not mistaken. 

Derek Carr, Matthew Stafford and Matt Ryan off the top of my head are QB's who at time or another were the highest paid QB's in the NFL. At no point were any of those 3 thought of as being nearly the best QB in the NFL. Recent history of QB pay suggests the QB whose contract is ready to be extended is a bigger influence of who is the highest paid QB then who is the best QB. Will Mahomes contract buck that trend with Watson and Dak coming due? Maybe, but I still think Clarence Hill was right, if Dak were to get extended in next 9 days it'll be for $35M plus but it was close to that already. I can't say what Dak will cost next year if he does not get extended in next 9 days, that will depend on how he performs.

If Patrick Mahomes makes every dollar of his ten-year, $450 million contract, he will make $1.1 million EVERY NINE DAYS.

I think it makes sense from Dak’s side to go with that argument. But Mahomes may very well end up being the best QB in NFL history. Dak is not in that realm at all. Paying him like he’s even close to that is foolish IMO.
I realize that the guaranteed money is the important part but on the surface, $35 million per year is a lot closer to Goff ($33.5 million) than Mahomes. I think Dak is at least as good as Goff.  :shrug:

Forget Dak, as a Texans fan with BOB as GM, I’m terrified by the stupid offer I’m sure is forthcoming for Watson. 

Mahomes is obviously a great quarterback. If I was starting a team today, he’s the guy I would want. That said, in my personal opinion, those talking about likely multiple Super Bowls wins and greatest of all time, need to pump the brakes a little bit. 

Mahomes is obviously a great quarterback. If I was starting a team today, he’s the guy I would want. That said, in my personal opinion, those talking about likely multiple Super Bowls wins and greatest of all time, need to pump the brakes a little bit. 
As long as Malholmes doesn't suffer an injury he has a solid claim to greatest of all time if he wins two more superbowls and plays the average between his past two seasons in the next five years.

As long as Malholmes doesn't suffer an injury he has a solid claim to greatest of all time if he wins two more superbowls and plays the average between his past two seasons in the next five years.
There’s the issue. He went from 50 TDs to half that. I think the odds are he’s much closer to 25 than 50. Not to mention going from 1 SB win to 3 is a massive difference. 

There’s the issue. He went from 50 TDs to half that. I think the odds are he’s much closer to 25 than 50. Not to mention going from 1 SB win to 3 is a massive difference. 
Because he got hurt, was hobbled for a few games even when playing, and was missing Tyreek for a significant part of the season. 50 TDs is hard to repeat but he did not regress or all of a sudden become half the player last year that he was in 2018. If anything he improved in 2019

Because he got hurt, was hobbled for a few games even when playing, and was missing Tyreek for a significant part of the season. 50 TDs is hard to repeat but he did not regress or all of a sudden become half the player last year that he was in 2018. If anything he improved in 2019
I never said he regressed. The guy is essentially two seasons into his career. I simply suggest the talk of goat should be toned down a bit. 

I never said he regressed. The guy is essentially two seasons into his career. I simply suggest the talk of goat should be toned down a bit. 
That's essentially my point though.  If he continues to be this amazing for the first seven years of his career then he deserves to be in the conversation.  Hell, if his underlying numbers improve this year I say we can have it again in the spring.

That is so ridiculous. Prescott doesn't even belong in the same conversation.
Prescott's numbers are really good, though, and the question is open-ended. What does the resetting of the market mean for Dak's negotiations? People at Yahoo that follow the stuff thinks it means his price goes slightly up.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
That's irrelevant.  The fact is, this contract WILL end up making Dak more money.  Even if everyone agrees Dak is 50% as good, or 30% as good.... then he can ask for that.  These qb signings are starting to become hell of teams. 

SaintsInDome2006 said:
I do find that interesting. I know it's a lot more than numbers and percentages, but saying Prescott's salary is worth 87% of Mahomes seems like a reach. But that's what the salary numbers would be. Hmmm.

wgoldsph said:
That's essentially my point though.  If he continues to be this amazing for the first seven years of his career then he deserves to be in the conversation.  Hell, if his underlying numbers improve this year I say we can have it again in the spring.
I would think he needs to do at least double digit years at his current pace AND WIN a couple more Super Bowls to be in the conversation...…...and that is just a conversation - not being the top spot.  It will be tough to pass what Brady has done over 20 years and having six SB wins. 

Is the franchise tag different with the new CBA? 

This looks like a multiple year, Kirk Cousins like franchise tag situation. If they didn't want to do a long term deal before, I'd be surprised if they want to do it now.

according to my lifetime Dallas fans that are "friends" this will have zero impact upon Dak. 
Of course they'd say that. It will impact it for sure even if he's "not in the same galaxy".  Even if hes playing on a franchise tag, mahomes' deal will make dak more money. 

Of course they'd say that. It will impact it for sure even if he's "not in the same galaxy".  Even if hes playing on a franchise tag, mahomes' deal will make dak more money. 
Yeah of course it will, this is logic here. Jerry sometimes loses trying to win in every scenario. This, an obvious L. 

That's irrelevant.  The fact is, this contract WILL end up making Dak more money.  Even if everyone agrees Dak is 50% as good, or 30% as good.... then he can ask for that.  These qb signings are starting to become hell of teams. 
The latest big contract can only help Dak.    It's certainly not going to hurt.  

I can't say I have anything concrete to back this but my gut feeling is that unless Jerry caves this year and gives Dak the 35 mil and an extra year (very possible), he will be traded next offseason to a team like the Colts, Bears, Raiders, Saints, etc--a team with a base of competitiveness but missing a QB (due to retirement or other reasons).

Obviously this changes if he reaches a Super Bowl or something
Your gut feeling is very improbable (if not totally impossible).

Dak doesn’t want an extra year.  He wants a 4 year deal; the Cowboys want 5.  Furthermore, any long term deal the Cowboys offer Dak at this point will have to be for at least $37.8M in 2021 (not $35M), as that’s the cost of franchising him for a 2nd year.

Cowboys aren’t going to be able to trade him next off-season, unless they franchise him a 2nd time, he signs the tag before 7/15/21, and they find a trade partner willing to take on a MINIMUM $37.8M salary for 2021 AND give up significant assets.  If Dallas were to franchise Dak a 2nd time, he’d probably wait until after 7/15 to sign, so they couldn’t trade him.

means nothing for Dak imo
At the very least, his franchise salary goes up.

I think it gives him a bit more money too.  He could say "well Mahomes is making 130 million"... to which they may reply "ok we'll give you 80".

Now when he says "well Mahomes is making half a billion", their "ok we'll give you 80" reply LOOKS a lot worse to his camp.  I think it makes it where HE will see his value go up... which means either he will get more money, or be gone.

Your gut feeling is very improbable (if not totally impossible).

Dak doesn’t want an extra year.  He wants a 4 year deal; the Cowboys want 5.  Furthermore, any long term deal the Cowboys offer Dak at this point will have to be for at least $37.8M in 2021 (not $35M), as that’s the cost of franchising him for a 2nd year.

Cowboys aren’t going to be able to trade him next off-season, unless they franchise him a 2nd time, he signs the tag before 7/15/21, and they find a trade partner willing to take on a MINIMUM $37.8M salary for 2021 AND give up significant assets.  If Dallas were to franchise Dak a 2nd time, he’d probably wait until after 7/15 to sign, so they couldn’t trade him.
Meant unless he gets the 4 year deal he wants. Typo on my part

Why wouldn't the Cowboys be able to tag and trade him? Many players have been dealt this way in recent years

If it's about salary then I think QBs are in short enough supply that a team needy enough would be able to make the space needed

Why wouldn't the Cowboys be able to tag and trade him? Many players have been dealt this way in recent years

If it's about salary then I think QBs are in short enough supply that a team needy enough would be able to make the space needed
Not as easy as it sounds. We were considering this possibility with Foles. The rules are, when you apply the franchise tag, that Tag$ + all other players need to be under the year's salary cap at the time the tag is applied. 

With us, we were about $25M over, so we would have had to cut/restructure quite a few players just to get the tag to work.

Then you need to find a team, and compensation for the player and his contract. 

Will be tough to pull off, and considering Dallas' style of dealing with the salary cap (restructure!), I don't see it happening. 

Why? Mahomes is still under his rookie contact and his salary this year is relatively tiny, so he wouldn't even contribute to the top 5 QB salaries this year. 
Fair enough, didn't know how that worked.
I should have added that I could definitely be wrong. I admit that I'm not 100% sure how it works either, so I was legitimately asking why in case my understanding was wrong. 

Not as easy as it sounds. We were considering this possibility with Foles. The rules are, when you apply the franchise tag, that Tag$ + all other players need to be under the year's salary cap at the time the tag is applied. 

With us, we were about $25M over, so we would have had to cut/restructure quite a few players just to get the tag to work.

Then you need to find a team, and compensation for the player and his contract. 

Will be tough to pull off, and considering Dallas' style of dealing with the salary cap (restructure!), I don't see it happening. 
So your guess would be that he either gets a long term deal or walks? Or just gets tagged again and walks later?

I know Dak gets a lot of s---, some deserved some not, but I just think it's awful value wise for an NFL team to lose a young top 8-12 QB for nothing

So your guess would be that he either gets a long term deal or walks? Or just gets tagged again and walks later?

I know Dak gets a lot of s---, some deserved some not, but I just think it's awful value wise for an NFL team to lose a young top 8-12 QB for nothing
My guess is Jerry's ego is really the only thing slowing this down, will eventually swallow his pride and sign him to an extension by end of next week. 

If not, he won't be back in Dallas next year is my take. 

I get a kick out of 

“Jerry Jones over paid another player hahaha!”

to 

“Jerry better let go of his ego and pay Dak !!”

it never ends

They can trade him, IF he signs the tag before 7/15.  That’s the deadline to trade a player who’s been tagged.  As I posted earlier, I’d expect Dak to not sign a 2nd tag before that date.  Why would he give up his leverage and give the Cowboys the option to trade him?

And it’s not just salary; a trade partner would have to take on at least the $38M franchise tag salary, AND be willing to commit to a huge long-term deal with Dak, AND be willing to give up significant draft capital to get Dak.

Clarence Hill says this means the floor for Prescott is now $35 Million.

What do you think the Cowboys do? 
Dak is a solid starter but not elite.  Plus the fact that he was not good the second half of the season is probably why the Cowboys are leery of giving him a huge deal.  Daks struggles late last season is probably why they signed Daulton.

Dak is a solid starter but not elite.  Plus the fact that he was not good the second half of the season is probably why the Cowboys are leery of giving him a huge deal.  Daks struggles late last season is probably why they signed Daulton.
I feel its just poker at this point, and Dak is sitting with the Dealer Button with the best hand waiting on Jerry to make the next move. Dak is an elite contract negotiator. 

Users who are viewing this thread