Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eephus

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

It's tough when you're down to your last friend...

There is a certain (now perma-banned) pony that I happen to miss. Brightened the place up a bit for me but got caught up in some FFA crossfire, whereupon she was tattled upon by some dang obvious alias and it's a long story. Back to the music.

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I had it as '98 ...fixed to '97 now

Yeah, I saw that. I wasn't questioning your date. I figured it was the album release, which I think is allowed. So no sweat and glad I could point something out if that's what you were looking for. I've been looking at dates at times rather than ripping songs for my own box. It would have been a long list of songs never included. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

There is a certain (now perma-banned) pony that I happen to miss. Brightened the place up a bit for me but got caught up in some FFA crossfire, whereupon she was tattled upon by some dang obvious alias and it's a long story. Back to the music.

 

I like ponies and rainbows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I like ponies and rainbows. 

Hippie bull####

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I like ponies and rainbows. 

Yep. otb_lifer has flown the coop, too, speaking of ponies. Haven't seen him anywhere. Perhaps he got tired of the shenanigans. That's a bigger loss than any cartoon pony.

Then again, Eephus just did his best otb impression, so there's that. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:
8 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Yeah, I'm out on the mask debate, it it political to a fault, as your example here shows.

I think there's a clear correlation between mandatory masks and decline in cases and that's all that matters. 

I won't debate it in that forum, either. I don't see the good that can come of it. As for here, there are probably silent ones among us not holding the default position of the binary mask/no mask, so I'll leave this as a safe space from the politics, as indicated before. I know I've always appreciated this respite of apolitical writing/thought. My politics are often unpopular among the more creative/music critic circles we dabble in, so I'm often grateful for it. Would hate to turn anyone off. 

For sure, I don't think I've ever seen you be anti-math/logic/reason though. I think you're in a tough spot rock as an intellectual person who leans right, I seriously don't know where that puts you right now in US politics, I don't see a party that is even close to suiting you. 

Canada has probably too many parties, but it's not the two party system, and our "centrist" party would probably actually appeal to so many Americans who are fiscally right (if you ignore the leader - Trudeau).

Because socially right, is a non starter here. If you're anti gay marriage, LQBTQ equaltiy, and yes, the a-word... you're unelectable from the get go. But you can think whatever you want on taxes and where they should come from and where they can go... that's basically what determines the spectrum of Canadian politics... so our right is your centre, our centre is your left, and our left is probably AOC type stuff, except it's not at all considered extreme... just not quite popular enough to win yet.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rockaction said:
14 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

It's tough when you're down to your last friend...

There is a certain (now perma-banned) pony that I happen to miss. Brightened the place up a bit for me but got caught up in some FFA crossfire, whereupon she was tattled upon by some dang obvious alias and it's a long story. Back to the music.

Brony?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yep. otb_lifer has flown the coop, too, speaking of ponies. Haven't seen him anywhere. Perhaps he got tired of the shenanigans. That's a bigger loss than any cartoon pony.

Then again, Eephus just did his best otb impression, so there's that. 

Otb comes and goes like the gentle spring air on a sunny day. 

He shall blow back in his time. 

And we shall bathe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Brony?

Encumbrance herself wound up banned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

You guys are weird.  

What have you got against pubs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Otb comes and goes like the gentle spring air on a sunny day. 

He shall blow back in his time. 

And we shall bathe. 

Agreed. I hope the gentle summer air is treating him well and that he's COVID-free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockaction said:

Agreed. I hope the gentle summer air is treating him well and that he's COVID-free. 

Last we spoke, all was well. 

I think it still is. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

For sure, I don't think I've ever seen you be anti-math/logic/reason though. I think you're in a tough spot rock as an intellectual person who leans right, I seriously don't know where that puts you right now in US politics, I don't see a party that is even close to suiting you.

So much to say, maybe I'll hit you with a PM. I meant to when I was suspended and you said something that pretty much fit me with one exception.

6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Canada has probably too many parties, but it's not the two party system, and our "centrist" party would probably actually appeal to so many Americans who are fiscally right (if you ignore the leader - Trudeau).

Because socially right, is a non starter here. If you're anti gay marriage, LQBTQ equaltiy, and yes, the a-word... you're unelectable from the get go. But you can think whatever you want on taxes and where they should come from and where they can go... that's basically what determines the spectrum of Canadian politics... so our right is your centre, our centre is your left, and our left is probably AOC type stuff, except it's not at all considered extreme... just not quite popular enough to win yet.

Doesn't seem that this is inaccurate at all. I say good for you guys. You're getting the politics you deserve. I hope our populace turns it around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banning TikTok is a bridge too far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Banning TikTok is a bridge too far

I love TikTok.

Lizzo is the best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I'm listening to [redacted] right now and really digging it. That is the problem with having music discussions before we're done. Only bands chosen get discussed. Did I mention how much I loved krista's Kanye pick or how solidly LBL, Yo Mama, and Buffaloes are representing the more hip hop/soul side up in here? I listened to Juggonauts, LBL. Not half bad. 

It was sad to see our friend Pitchfork waylaid while he was making his way to the States. Couldn't put the "us" in U.S.A. without you, mang. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Another turning point, a pitchfork in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

I'm sure he had the time of his life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Does Tylenol with codeine count?

It did nothing for me. 

It didn't even take away my pain.   (Which is the name of my new country song.)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Otb comes and goes like the gentle spring air on a sunny day. 

That sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Round 33  -  Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get  -  The Dramatics  -  1971

That free pick is working for me.

Round 34  -  Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)  -  Roy Orbison  -  1962

Round 35  -  Da Doo Ron Ron  -  The Crystals  -  1963

I'm sensing a euphemism here.

And I'm done with the 60's.

Edited by Mrs. Rannous
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

 

Round 35  -  Da Doo Ron Ron  -  The Crystals  -  1963

 

Once upon a time, I read an essay about Springsteen's "Born To Run" where the writer said it sounded like a '57 Chevy running on melted down Crystals' records. I have to believe this was the record he had in mind (though your link seems to be a different version than the hit).

Anyway, this song is proof against the myth that rock-and-roll was dead between Buddy Holly's plane crash and the British Invasion. La La Brooks is gonna #### this guy and the band lets you know she means business - this is an absolutely crushing, bruising performance by the Wrecking Crew (it's only good in its original mono, though - sounds ungood in stereo). Eat your heart out, Robert Plant.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Once upon a time, I read an essay about Springsteen's "Born To Run" where the writer said it sounded like a '57 Chevy running on melted down Crystals' records. I have to believe this was the record he had in mind (though your link seems to be a different version than the hit).

Anyway, this song is proof against the myth that rock-and-roll was dead between Buddy Holly's plane crash and the British Invasion. La La Brooks is gonna #### this guy and the band lets you know she means business - this is an absolutely crushing, bruising performance by the Wrecking Crew (it's only good in its original mono, though - sounds ungood in stereo). Eat your heart out, Robert Plant.

 

I should probably have linked this instead.

Da Doo Ron Ron

Perhaps you wuld prefer the Shaun Cassidy cover.  I like to think not.

Edited by Mrs. Rannous
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Mr R is still working (at 6:45) and will probably be at least a couple more hours.  We are planning on being comatose for the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Owe two picks

 

Here's yesterdays PM Pick, Maria is my oldest Daughter Sara's middle name, my wife very much wanted to honor her grandmother Maria, who turned 100 last November, an amazing woman and a generation that truly broke the mold.

 

Maria from the Soundtrack of West Side Story - 1961

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52 Girls

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mphtrilogy said:

Owe two picks

 

Here's yesterdays PM Pick, Maria is my oldest Daughter Sara's middle name, my wife very much wanted to honor her grandmother Maria, who turned 100 last November, an amazing woman and a generation that truly broke the mold.

 

Maria from the Soundtrack of West Side Story - 1961

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52 Girls

Wow.  That's impressive.  Happy birthday indeed!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Wow.  That's impressive.  Happy birthday indeed!

thanks! Italian immigrant that moved her family to Canada at age 40, then moves again to NYC at age 45... broke her hip 10 years ago and refused to go to the hospital, let it heal at home... didn't take more than an Aspirin for the pain, incredible!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you're gonna mainline '80s fluff, it might as well be the good stuff.

Round 36: Bananarama -- Cruel Summer

Year: 1984

Album: Bananarama

I don't care for the B-side.

This was released as a single in the UK in 1983, but the single in the US and the album everywhere didn't come out until 1984. It took off in the US after it was included on the Karate Kid soundtrack. 

And with that, I am done with the '80s.

Edited by Pip's Invitation
  • Like 9
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 5:50 PM, krista4 said:

Bennett was also known for a whole heckuva lot of covers of Beatles songs, each of which was undoubtedly better than anything Joe Cocker ever coughed up.

Round 35 is dedicated to Krista, I know how much she'll appreciate this:

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends (1968)

It's just too bad he used up all his positive covering the Beatles juju on this classic. Cause his other attempts. Woof.

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Round 35 is dedicated to Krista, I know how much she'll appreciate this:

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends (1968)

It's just too bad he used up all his positive covering the Beatles juju on this classic. Cause his other attempts. Woof.

Ol’ Yowly!

As I said in krista’s Beatles thread, I like this better when I forget it’s a Beatles song.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This song was culled from the master tapes of a military project created by servicemen while stationed in Germany. Largely not credited and forgotten, the servicemen were covering funk and soul standards of the time. If that sounds like a [redacted] story except for the operation of [redacted] within garage rock parameters, then you're probably on the right track. Originally, this was by The Fuzz. But this is all soul -- not rock and roll.

Round 36.xx

Artist: East Of Underground

Song: I Love You (For All Seasons)

Year: 1971

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also close out the 80's. Because I have absolutely no interest in anything between 82 and 86. 

Round 36 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (1989)

As we talked about in the album draft, I don't care for this group. But they were at their best before they went mainstream when they were full of every drug imaginable. I always wanted to hear a version of this song with Stevie singing overlaid with the Chili Pepper sound. Cause the band made this song better, but just has the wrong person on vocals.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

 but just has the wrong person on vocals.

The same can be said for EVERY Chili Peppers song. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn’t have a jukebox with songs calling out social unrest and police brutality without this iconic rapper. Yo Mama selects:

 

36.ym - 2Pac - Trapped (1991)

b-side is Tha Lunatic

 

This is Tupac’s first single off his first album and he came out swinging - trapped in an unjust legal system maintained by corrupt, abusive cops. I forgot Shock G (pronounced with an umpty) helped out on this track. 
 

They got me trapped, can barely walk the city streets
Without a cop harasskin' me, searching me, then askin' my identity
Hands up, throw me up against the wall, didn't do a thing at all
I'm telling you one day these suckers gotta fall
Cuffed up throw me on the concrete
Coppers try to kill me but they didn't know this was the wrong street
Bang bang, count another casualty
But it's a cop who's shot for his brutality
Who do you blame? It's a shame because the man's slain
He got caught in the chains of his own game
How can I feel guilty after all the things they did to me?
Sweated me, hunted me, trapped in my own community
One day I'm gonna bust, blow up on this society
Why did you lie to me? I couldn't find a trace of equality

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

If you're gonna mainline '80s fluff, it might as well be the good stuff.

Round 36: Bananarama -- Cruel Summer

Year: 1984

Album: Bananarama

I don't care for the B-side.

This was released as a single in the UK in 1983, but the single in the US and the album everywhere didn't come out until 1984. It took off in the US after it was included on the Karate Kid soundtrack. 

And with that, I am done with the '80s.

wow - lovvvvvvvve this song

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35.03: You Get What You Give - New Radicals (1998)

One of the musical highlights of the decade.  Really expected more of them.  But man, this song is infectious in a great way.  

The album was released on October 20, 1998, and was well received by music critics, who praised the record for its wide range of atypical influences for a modern pop rock album, such as Todd Rundgren, World Party and Hall & Oates, and compared its funk and soul-influenced upbeat pop rock to the early work of Prince and Mick Jagger.

 

Much of the media attention "You Get What You Give" received centered on the closing lyrics:

"Health insurance, rip-off lying

FDA, big bankers buying

Fake computer crashes dining

Cloning while they're multiplying

Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson,

Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson

You're all fakes, run to your mansions

Come around, we'll kick your ### in."

According to lead singer Gregg Alexander, he had written this section for the song as a test to see whether the media would focus on the important political issues of the first few lines, or the petty celebrity-dissing. As suspected, a considerable amount of press began to appear about the name-dropping, and the other political issues were largely ignored.[7]

Marilyn Manson commented that he was "not mad he said he'd kick my ###, I just don't want to be used in the same sentence with Courtney Love.... I'll crack his [Alexander's] skull open if I see him."[8]  :lmao:

  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

35.03: You Get What You Give - New Radicals (1998)

One of the musical highlights of the decade.  Really expected more of them.  But man, this song is infectious in a great way.  

The album was released on October 20, 1998, and was well received by music critics, who praised the record for its wide range of atypical influences for a modern pop rock album, such as Todd Rundgren, World Party and Hall & Oates, and compared its funk and soul-influenced upbeat pop rock to the early work of Prince and Mick Jagger.

I remember reading an interview with Joni Mitchell around this time where she said this was the only contemporary pop song she thought was any good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

wow - lovvvvvvvve this song

Cruel Summer came out when I was 13. I was all about hard rock and the other forms of what we now call classic rock. The vast majority of mid-80s pop I enjoy now, I learned to appreciate much later. But I loved this song as soon as I heard it in 1984. Of course I didn't tell my friends this.

I also enjoy "[redacted]", their collaboration with [redacted].

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sicker than your average Poppa twist cabbage off instinct
#####s don't think #### stink
Pink gators, my Detroit players
Timbs for my hooligans in Brooklyn 
Dead right, if the head right, Biggie there every night
Poppa been smooth since days of Underoos
Never lose, never choose to, bruise crews who
Do somethin' to us, talk go through us 
Girls walk to us, wanna do us, screw us
Who us? Yeah, Poppa and Puff 
Close like Starsky and Hutch, stick the clutch

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can't get the real West coast rep I want because of the year thing so I'll represent west coast groove/rap from the B team (or more like E team)

32.xx Regulate - Warren G, Nate Dogg (1994)

Shout out to Michael M.

Relevant Link

Quote

Warren, you lucky mother ####er.

 

Edited by Hov34
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

Can't get the real West coast rep I want because of the year thing so I'll represent west coast groove/rap from the B team (or more like E team)

32.xx Regulate - Warren G, Nate Dogg (1994)

Shout out to Michael M.

Relevant Link

 

Holy Jr. High Dances, Batman!

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Cruel Summer came out when I was 13. I was all about hard rock and the other forms of what we now call classic rock. The vast majority of mid-80s pop I enjoy now, I learned to appreciate much later. But I loved this song as soon as I heard it in 1984. Of course I didn't tell my friends this.

I also enjoy "[redacted]", their collaboration with [redacted].

I'm a few years older but I was the same way. I hated 80s synth pop and mostly listened to metal and classic rock. I did purchase this CD as well as a Madonna or 2 but also kept it a secret- lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.